Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Impossible because if you're an actually competent company you know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroTime
Oct 13, 2011
I really can't see darkfall every coming back

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

ZeroTime posted:

I really can't see darkfall every coming back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPoB0JWNTM

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I get that people are into this kind of game. I don't get why those people think that other people are into this kind of game, on more than a temporary basis. How many different flavors of the same game need to fail before they can collectively move on?

By the time I finished writing that last sentence, I had thought of all the pre-Trammel UO shards with populations that measure in the dozens (in a good year) and realized that it doesn't matter. Is Darkfall the first digital-social perpetual failure machine?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Would be kind of nice to see an actually competent company attempt a sandbox mmo.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

Would be kind of nice to see an actually competent company attempt a sandbox mmo.

Larian plz
you already made the successor to Ultima 7 with Divinity Original Sin
now make the successor UO

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

We will never get our dream corrupt-free fps sandbox full loot full pvp mmorpg

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ashrik posted:

I get that people are into this kind of game. I don't get why those people think that other people are into this kind of game, on more than a temporary basis. How many different flavors of the same game need to fail before they can collectively move on?

By the time I finished writing that last sentence, I had thought of all the pre-Trammel UO shards with populations that measure in the dozens (in a good year) and realized that it doesn't matter. Is Darkfall the first digital-social perpetual failure machine?

Honestly Darkfall 1 had a perfectly healthy (well, in numbers at least) community until it became apparent that aventurine gave no shits about cheaters, and that new content was going to come very, very slowly.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Isn't Ark an actual good looking successful pvp sandbox mmo? Why aren't the df revival nerds playing that instead

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

afkmacro posted:

Isn't Ark an actual good looking successful pvp sandbox mmo? Why aren't the df revival nerds playing that instead

It's still Early Access I guess? Also the minimum requirements are fairly steep, I'd say the majority of PC gamers can't even run it. But you're right, it's quite good

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's still Early Access I guess? Also the minimum requirements are fairly steep, I'd say the majority of PC gamers can't even run it. But you're right, it's quite good

I have a 390x/i7 4770/12GB of memory and I can hardly run it at 30FPS at medium settings

kibato posted:

We will never get our dream corrupt-free fps sandbox full loot full pvp mmorpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmklF4az0pE

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 28, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I have a 390x/i7 4770/12GB of memory and I can hardly run it at 30FPS at medium settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmklF4az0pE

so is there any evidence that is anything but battlefield 4 with a russian voice pack?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

afkmacro posted:

Crowfall is also in development, but it's a crapshoot if it'll be legitimately good or just a 2 month distraction.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

so is there any evidence that is anything but battlefield 4 with a russian voice pack?

Nope, but based on their timeline, we should know soon. Q1 beta, Q2 release.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Deki posted:

Crowfall is also in development, but it's a crapshoot if it'll be legitimately good or just a 2 month distraction.

I have gazed into the crystal ball known as the way the devs police the official forums and can tell you it will be cliquey corrupt poo poo

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Byolante posted:

I have gazed into the crystal ball known as the way the devs police the official forums and can tell you it will be cliquey corrupt poo poo

Probably.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

afkmacro posted:

Ark has huge performance problems, the combat is poo poo and its no mmo. The only thing df and ark have in common is the toxic community.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kibato posted:

Ark has huge performance problems, the combat is poo poo and its no mmo. The only thing df and ark have in common is the toxic community.

If it didn't take 10 minutes to load into a server, I'd go in and casually mention Rust more often. If you want a good time, go say it. Single word.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
I just wanted to make sure that no one here actually has a DFUW account currently subscribed. No one here is actively playing that game right now, correct?

The main problem has always been cheaters with any MMO, either you are able to deal with them swiftly and effectively or you can't. I think that is a huge factor with any multiplayer game. For some reason they did pretty good for themselves in Darkfall past and present. I would be willing to partake in legal internet gambling that, if curtailing cheating was a #1 priority, this game could flourish again. With such a known limited staff at AV they need to focus on the single biggest game breaking issue plaguing their game. The game is an easy obvious cash cow, the cost to run it is probably negligible.

Snaxxor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 7, 2016

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

nah, not subbed since a year. But the DF1 licensing talks are looking good:
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-01-07-licensing-talks-progress/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snaxxor posted:

I just wanted to make sure that no one here actually has a DFUW account currently subscribed. No one here is actively playing that game right now, correct?

The main problem has always been cheaters with any MMO, either you are able to deal with them swiftly and effectively or you can't. I think that is a huge factor with any multiplayer game. For some reason they did pretty good for themselves in Darkfall past and present. I would be willing to partake in legal internet gambling that, if curtailing cheating was a #1 priority, this game could flourish again. With such a known limited staff at AV they need to focus on the single biggest game breaking issue plaguing their game. The game is an easy obvious cash cow, the cost to run it is probably negligible.

Nixing the cheating would not magically make Darkfall not utter garbage.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Orv posted:

Nixing the cheating would not magically make Darkfall not utter garbage.

Yeah, but at the same time if AV would have looked into the guilds/people that were blatantly cheating like hell at launch, UW might still be somewhat alive today.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

They got the license!

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-02-02-licensing-acquired-and-short-term-plans/
http://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,135.0.html

Finally my life has a meaning again

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you don't deserve to have meaning in your life.

Orv
May 4, 2011
priceisrighthorn.wav

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Freakazoid_ posted:

you don't deserve to have meaning in your life.

I know but it will change my life a lot.
Now: Wake up > Work > Fap > Sleep
Soon: Wake up > Work > Darkfall > Fap > Sleep

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm glad they were able to license a guaranteed failure

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

no we will finally get the darkfall we deserve. No hacks, no dupes, honest mods and 10k players who fight in WW3.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
$40 mandatory entrance fee
$15/mo sub
all so trolls can troll other trolls until one of them gets fed up leaves, resulting in the other leaving too

Brilliant.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How hardcore was the hacking?

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

there were some dupe bugs which have apparently never been fixed. But players flying around and stuff was more an Unholy Wars thing.
Imo the main problem were the exploiters who had a very high skill/stat advantage early in the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played the one that was on steam. If you ever left the noobie zone there was always some guy in the bushes waiting with a bow to murder you in a few hits.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I played the one that was on steam. If you ever left the noobie zone there was always some guy in the bushes waiting with a bow to murder you in a few hits.

just like in reallife. It will takes months from now on until the playable alpha is released

:goshawk: UPDATE :goshawk:
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-02-16-dev-diary-road-to-release-and-methodology/

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

afkmacro posted:

Man, I love how since 2003 we have scaled back the definition of MMO from 1k people per server, to 64 people per server.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SweetBro posted:

Man, I love how since 2003 we have scaled back the definition of MMO from 1k people per server, to 64 people per server.

Check out eternal crusade, multiplayer deathmatch modes are now mmos.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ark only seems like an MMO due to the herculean amount of grinding one has to do on vanilla settings.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ark only seems like an MMO due to the herculean amount of grinding one has to do on vanilla settings.

Lol yeah pretty much.

Also whoever said nobody camped newbies in AC Darktide must have nostalgia covered glasses because that happened all the time just like every other pvp game in existence.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Between New Dawn and Rise of Agon, I like the direction RoA is going. So I'll wait for RoA to release a server. Good luck to New Dawn.

I was in Murder Herd back in NA release. I remember assaulting... Jakudun I think? From Ottenhal? Good times. I left about 8 months after NA release because AV were idiots but I've always kept tabs on the game.

There is no way RoA will ever, ever, ever reach the same numbers as DFO release days but hopefully enough people come back to make it a decent private server.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What is Rise of Agon's business model? Maybe I'm confusing them, but a $40 box+$15 subscription for the privilege to play a game of trolls trolling other trolls doesn't sound viable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Some of their roadmap items seem unattainable. I wonder if they'll crack open the code just to be overwhelmed by how lovely it is and decide to erase half of their ideas off the list.

• Locked thread