Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
So... are any goons signing up to play in DarkFall: RoA server?

I'd like to play with Goons if possible. Otherwise, I'll go join some other sperg guild.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SabinBlitz posted:

Between New Dawn and Rise of Agon, I like the direction RoA is going. So I'll wait for RoA to release a server. Good luck to New Dawn.

I was in Murder Herd back in NA release. I remember assaulting... Jakudun I think? From Ottenhal? Good times. I left about 8 months after NA release because AV were idiots but I've always kept tabs on the game.

There is no way RoA will ever, ever, ever reach the same numbers as DFO release days but hopefully enough people come back to make it a decent private server.

I was very upset when MH stopped being neighbors with goons back in the day. I had no easy solo raid targets in range and that sucked.

Deki fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 3, 2016

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I'm going to play both versions and decide later on which one is better.
Looks like Ub3rgames has set up an internal testing server:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGS8c5cPA28

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

5 pages eh? I really cant see why people still want to try this, so i feel obliged to make a serious post about it

Being greek and all I always wanted to support this title (even though the game was made somewhere in scandinavia and sold off incomplete to incompetent greek developers), so I tried the original DF a few months after launch. The grind seemed too tedious for a sub game and the player base was loving annoying so I quit.

Later when DFUW was released I went total poopsock (by my standards) at launch, spent as much time as I could on it and ran with a very organized guild called Lux Aeterna on the EU server. We did some accomplishments like getting server 1st on "1st big town built" and other arduous teamwork poo poo like that.

gently caress this post, bottom line is we did PVP events to train among ourselves using fairly good gear (we had dedicated guild crafters), and I saw a few uber hardcore poopsockers soloing like 10 mediocre poopsockers in 10vs1 with ease. Get this, 1 hardcore nolifenosleep tryhard soloing 10 well armored mid level players, a few weeks after release, without even trying. Go figure the implications of such imbalance in a full loot game.

Then we did some group roams in search for group PVP all around the map -a month or so after launch- and the world was loving EMPTY. I mean empty as in: NO PEOPLE IN IT. Thats where I quit for good. The guild disbanded shortly after as they realised that the game was dead to begin with

So goons, dont spend money or time on that game, it will be empty from the start. Dont even try forming or joining a poopsock guild to excel at it. Its just a bad game, no way around it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The one good thing about Darkfall is the art style, it's like Galaxies, it'll look good 10 years from now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looked bad when it released though?

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

why is there so much hate towards this game? Who cares about lovely graphics? No other game is like Darkfall.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're right, there are good games out there too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its like playing Rust on a server that never wipes.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

kibato posted:

why is there so much hate towards this game? Who cares about lovely graphics? No other game is like Darkfall.

Well when you're given gameplay that doesn't live up to expectations, looking to the art direction for something worth appreciating is a natural next step. I imagine that's why people care about the lovely graphics.

Seems kinda obvious, really.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

It looked bad when it released though?

It has a muddy Morrowind-esque charm to it, along with the "painted look". I'd certainly prefer that over Age of Conan which tried to look super realistic for the time it was released.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It has a muddy Morrowind-esque charm to it, along with the "painted look". I'd certainly prefer that over Age of Conan which tried to look super realistic for the time it was released.

Ah yes, I too prefer things that are lovely to things that are good.

*sips IPA*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

there are people who weren't being ironic about looking forward to this?

oh

oh no...

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Updates!

New Dawn
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-04-05-road-to-release-8/

Rise of Agon
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/rise-of-agon-developer-blog-4-tuesday-april-5th.1515/#post-31342

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

roa wins the alpha race:
https://darkfallriseofagon.com/news/darkfall-rise-agon-official-launch-alpha/
https://darkfallriseofagon.com/news/alpha-update-april-11th/

...IT’S TIME TO GO HOME.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
That's not that impressive considering all alpha proves is they got the Darkfall back end working.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The original release was kind of interesting. Most of the interest in the game seems to be based off of it and a misconception about the state of the game back then.

I mean, it was basically EVE without the spreadsheets with Morrowind-esque combat added in in a loving huge world. I remember setting up shop in a city in the far corner of the map on this island and the experience was legitimately fun. The pilgrimage to get up there was tense as gently caress and involved constructing a boat to get past all the horrible poo poo in the water.

I ended up playing a smith that just churned out armor and weapons to help colonize this murderously lethal island that'd kill you half the time you stepped outside the walls. Eventually we tamed the place and turned it into our own personal island paradise. It was like an early era ARK.

Then everyone realized how easy it was to exploit their stupid skill system and everything fell apart as people stayed logged in 24/7 with macros and hit godlike levels. Cue small armies of legitimate players getting annihilated by assholes using mountains as cover to snipe things with overpowered spells from half a mile away instead of brutal melee battles. Aventurine refused to fix it and all the other exploits and the game just went to poo poo as everyone left.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
Darkfall run by its own players seems like the only way it will ever be fun and successful even if its played by like 500 people max. AV was a shitpile.

If anyone wants to run around on RoA Alpha and duel with me hit up Ringing Cellphone

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The game was ruined by the stats and grind for me. I'm really intrigued to see if a group of players can run and manage the game better than the creators. I still feel like they will hit a roadblock. 20 bucks ain't that bad for a buy-in though, so I may take the plunge.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle Spriggly posted:

The game was ruined by the stats and grind for me. I'm really intrigued to see if a group of players can run and manage the game better than the creators. I still feel like they will hit a roadblock. 20 bucks ain't that bad for a buy-in though, so I may take the plunge.

hey raft buddy

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

FARTSTAR posted:

hey raft buddy

I'll never forget our Huckleberry Finn adventures rafting down the mighty Agnon Mississippi.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Anyone in the alpha and already joined AC?
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/awful-company-looking-for-returning-members-also-new.644/

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

sorry for reanimating this thread, but the whole df revival thingy is absolutely hilarious at the moment.
DF: ROA had an alpha server running but was forced to take it down because they forgot server security.

The guy who works at the emulator since years sums it up pretty good:
http://darkfallemu.com/darkfall_emu_update_roa_security/

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Newsflash: Is this the end!?
https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?426595-Service-disruption&p=6604750#post6604750

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Unholy wars was weird for me because I didn't think it was that bad for the month or so I played, but the "Core" darkfall players hated it. God only knows if the remakes are going to be able to sustain 3 digit populations.

kibato posted:

sorry for reanimating this thread, but the whole df revival thingy is absolutely hilarious at the moment.
DF: ROA had an alpha server running but was forced to take it down because they forgot server security.

The guy who works at the emulator since years sums it up pretty good:
http://darkfallemu.com/darkfall_emu_update_roa_security/

That link doesn't seem to work for me but I appreciate the hilarity regardless.

Deki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2016

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

ripvp

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deki posted:

Unholy wars was weird for me because I didn't think it was that bad for the month or so I played, but the "Core" darkfall players hated it. God only knows if the remakes are going to be able to sustain 3 digit populations.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160525002445/http://darkfallemu.com/darkfall_emu_update_roa_security/

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Deki posted:

his blog and reddit posts have been deleted. Seems like he got silenced by force!

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Darkfall New Dawn has opened the gates to their InDev server:
https://darkfallnewdawn.com/news/

Its free!
https://darkfallnewdawn.com/my-account/

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
is anyone going to play this garbage? i think i might for a while

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

is anyone going to play this garbage? i think i might for a while

I'm without a graphic card for the week so I'll try and see if it runs on integrated.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

An MMO should be on your mind everyday, at work, in transport, while speaking to your loved ones, in those minutes before sleep and especially when wondering what to do with your free time.

Im alive in my world, but I live in Agnon.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I missed out on Darkfall when it was a thing (was it ever really a thing?), but I appreciate the entertainment it's bringing me today.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm without a graphic card for the week so I'll try and see if it runs on integrated.

run the game using the MUD settings

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm tempted to relive my days naked rushing cities and harassing crafters/harvesters.

Its not going to be as good as I remember, will it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What you remember wasn't as good as you remember, so no.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Ub3rgames is much more professional than Aventurine ever was. If they can really implement all those promised features (e.g. local banking, fewer grind skills, no need of autohotkey) and maybe improve the graphics a little bit I'm so gonna play it.

But when I hear about the first guilds duping I'm probably going to leave sooner or later.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kibato posted:

Ub3rgames is much more professional than Aventurine ever was

This bar is so low it's in the Earth's core.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

kibato posted:

Ub3rgames is much more professional than Aventurine ever was. If they can really implement all those promised features (e.g. local banking, fewer grind skills, no need of autohotkey) and maybe improve the graphics a little bit I'm so gonna play it.

But when I hear about the first guilds duping I'm probably going to leave sooner or later.

i left df before any of that happened. how bad was it? if it was prolific, ub3r should know and hopefully have an idea how to fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kibato posted:

The fact that "Ub3rgames" are the ones behind this is what makes me never want to touch this, besides the fact that it's you know, Darkfall for the third time.

• Locked thread