Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The concept of a game where it was possible to make everyone else on the server cancel their christmas through the use of game mechanics is hilarious. The actual reality of darkfall is just another lovely me-too ffa full loot pvp shitfest from the people who thought trammel was the death of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

It was a bad broken as hell game that was fun despite itself imo

With the skill cap being implemented, it won't be so bad anymore.

I never understood why they did that. Everything wrong with the game was just a matter of changing the ruleset slightly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

The concept of a game where it was possible to make everyone else on the server cancel their christmas through the use of game mechanics is hilarious. The actual reality of darkfall is just another lovely me-too ffa full loot pvp shitfest from the people who thought trammel was the death of gaming.

Tell you the truth UO with full pvp turned the pretrammel game into a ghost town. Just about no one stayed in the open. Trammel was a huge improvement to the house market too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Tell you the truth UO with full pvp turned the pretrammel game into a ghost town. Just about no one stayed in the open. Trammel was a huge improvement to the house market too.

I discussed this in the crowfall thread mainly but the problem with open pvp games is that the notional hardcore pvp types don't actually like full loot pvp. What they like is victimising carebears and scrubs. When they are the ones on the receiving end of a gank and loot they tend to give up and quit the game. This coupled with safety in numbers leads to awful imbalances where you end up with 1 giant superguild that crushes everyone else then turns on itself when there is nobody else left to victimise. As a result these uo-like pvp games tend to haemorrhage players from modest launch numbers and disappear in a spiral of rage quits.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

I discussed this in the crowfall thread mainly but the problem with open pvp games is that the notional hardcore pvp types don't actually like full loot pvp. What they like is victimising carebears and scrubs. When they are the ones on the receiving end of a gank and loot they tend to give up and quit the game. This coupled with safety in numbers leads to awful imbalances where you end up with 1 giant superguild that crushes everyone else then turns on itself when there is nobody else left to victimise. As a result these uo-like pvp games tend to haemorrhage players from modest launch numbers and disappear in a spiral of rage quits.

Exactly. I hate how my desire for a living, breathing world is confused with "PERMADEATH + FULL LOOT + KILL THE loving CASUALS"

I just want a loving MMO to be something more than a clunky, inferior single player RPG with people in the way blocking your view of NPCs, grouping for dungeons and a couple chat channels. I've noticed that a lot of people refer to SWG and Asheron's Call when it comes to sandbox design rather than games like Ultima Online where you have to explain what iteration you liked and why you didn't like the others for twenty minutes.

Galaxies did a very good job of making sense of PVP and giving you a reason to kill other players. Especially bounty hunting. Origin's tagline explains why I fell in love with the genre. "We create worlds", despite the technology advancing tenfold allowing single shards with tens of thousands of players, I have never felt more isolated.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

UO didn't quite get the super guilds. Dying and losing everything wasn't a big deal at all because just about everyone only casted spells, was basically naked with the free blessed robes that always stayed on, and a high crafted cheap crafted weapon. Oh there where also runes and keys but only morons carried their house keys and a house rune to teleport to their house.

Sure you could lose it all when ganked but only dumb people carried like more than 100 of each regent with out a reason too(All spells costed mana and a regent, like portal stones in wow).

The other thing in UO is that near the trammel days people stopped using full sets of armor, because it was pointless, the armor system was just garbage. It would lower your stats for armor but by using certain parts you could have more armor with ringmail than full platemail.

The other reason armor fell out is that everyone went caster/caster hybrid. And armor messed with your spells alittle bit. A large amount of people lvled up their wrestling skill so they could just punch people and they never even had to carry a weapon. I also think your had to have a spell book in your hand to cast or something and you used the wrestling skill to punch with a book. Spell books were also loot protected items, you couldn't lose your spellbook.

I want to say Shadowbane and L2 were the rise of the big pk guilds, UO had them but they never had the power to terrorize a game like they did in these two.

UO is seen as a full loot pvp game but everyone overlooks how many protective systems were actually in the game. Pretty much everyone kept all their best poo poo in the bank because in town you could yell "Guards" and guards would appear and kill anyone near you that was hostile or even grey from something else and just happened to run on your screen.

The "Guards" thing wasn't that bad but the way you talked to NPCs in the game was all through text commands. And macros were big in the UO days and people usually only had one macro for NPCS, "GUARDS BANK VENDOR SELL VENDOR BUY HAIL". So basically doing anything in town people everyone would spam the poo poo out of the guards making towns death zones if you flagged.

Guards also one shot you not matter what, and your corpse was most likely completely looted in less then 5 seconds in town. Because you were flagged your corpse was just free loot.

Ok back the banks, everyone kept all their money, best items, regent stacks in the bank. So no body ran around with alot of money outside of town for no reason.

Gear was basically worthless in the game because you didn't need alot of it to do anything. You could skip gear so easy, you could be fully naked and just go somewhere tame 100 polar bears and they would be your weapon.

TLDR;
I drifted off there, basically UO had alot of ways to get around the "Full Loot' pvp of the game. You cant kind of compare it to Shadowbane and L2 but the gear in those two was so much harder to replace, buy, or even farm holy poo poo. It just makes them in another league of pvp mmo I guess.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 15, 2015

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I hope this comes out cause I'm bored of not chopping down trees for a thousand hours.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

That's why I spent all my time in felucia I think it's name was. It was a ghost town, I could farm lich lords as long as I wanted and get stupid rich. The few fights I did get into were generally long running battles because the only people with balls enough to live there were generally competent at the game, and I don't think anyone ever stole my equipment anymore, I'd usually just get a "drat good fight, here let me rez you."

But yeah the house was in Trammel because there wasn't a spot you could put a house in Fel, it was all taken.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's why I spent all my time in felucia I think it's name was. It was a ghost town, I could farm lich lords as long as I wanted and get stupid rich. The few fights I did get into were generally long running battles because the only people with balls enough to live there were generally competent at the game, and I don't think anyone ever stole my equipment anymore, I'd usually just get a "drat good fight, here let me rez you."

But yeah the house was in Trammel because there wasn't a spot you could put a house in Fel, it was all taken.

In pretrammel, I didn't have a house. I had like 3 boats by in some city right next to each other. Ghetto house but it worked. After I had a tower in trammel, I used one of them to go out mining. Boat mining was the loving poo poo in that game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I really didn't have any crafting skills, since crafting would flat out require you buy a second account to level an alt with. So pretty much I'd farm lich lords. I did run a small shop however since I got a metric fuckton of silver vanq weapons off of said lichlords that turned a tidy profit.

Pretty much all I did was pvp in fel for days on end with occasional dips into despair (I think) to top of my cash, then back home to drop my stash off in trammel. It did really solidify the difference in the pvp/pve community. Though to be honest outside of fighting another player I have no clue what that game was good for. Once you had even 6x GM no PVE content was really worth engaging in.

I did enjoy running around with a white wyrm before they made the taming changes to where only tamers could control those types of tames.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really didn't have any crafting skills, since crafting would flat out require you buy a second account to level an alt with. So pretty much I'd farm lich lords. I did run a small shop however since I got a metric fuckton of silver vanq weapons off of said lichlords that turned a tidy profit.

Pretty much all I did was pvp in fel for days on end with occasional dips into despair (I think) to top of my cash, then back home to drop my stash off in trammel. It did really solidify the difference in the pvp/pve community. Though to be honest outside of fighting another player I have no clue what that game was good for. Once you had even 6x GM no PVE content was really worth engaging in.

I did enjoy running around with a white wyrm before they made the taming changes to where only tamers could control those types of tames.

You could have multiple characters on your account. I was leveling my taming in the ice land area on polar bears, I teleported to town and had them attack everyone in my guild. You could freely attack guild members in UO in town.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

You could have multiple characters on your account. I was leveling my taming in the ice land area on polar bears, I teleported to town and had them attack everyone in my guild. You could freely attack guild members in UO in town.

Same with guilds you were at war with. You'd type in IRC "x guild at trinsic small bank" and within ten seconds, eight guild mates Recall to your location, and the Corp Pors start flying.

I wish MMORPGs never evolved past the Ultima Online pre-Renaissance stage. I've never had more fun in a computer game than I did during that time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Same with guilds you were at war with. You'd type in IRC "x guild at trinsic small bank" and within ten seconds, eight guild mates Recall to your location, and the Corp Pors start flying.

I wish MMORPGs never evolved past the Ultima Online pre-Renaissance stage. I've never had more fun in a computer game than I did during that time.

trinsic was a nice town intill it got killed by monsters.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

trinsic was a nice town intill it got killed by monsters.

Did EA do something to it? Trinsic was my favorite town. I was a town thief and I would lead people on wild goose chases across the walls and into one of the random buildings until I handed the stolen item off to my friend.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Did EA do something to it? Trinsic was my favorite town. I was a town thief and I would lead people on wild goose chases across the walls and into one of the random buildings until I handed the stolen item off to my friend.

I think it was that town, like it got invaded by monsters long before trammel was talked about.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

I think it was that town, like it got invaded by monsters long before trammel was talked about.

Naw, couldn't have been, I played in Trinsic way after Renaissance (Trammel/Felucca) and it was just like any old town.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Naw, couldn't have been, I played in Trinsic way after Renaissance (Trammel/Felucca) and it was just like any old town.

Ok maybe it was before your time then. That town once was a normal town then it got invaded for a long rear end time. I know this because that was my noobie town, then I changed servers and went up to Minoc/vesper. When searching for this I found that they added invasions for all the towns. Pretty cool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

Ok maybe it was before your time then. That town once was a normal town then it got invaded for a long rear end time. I know this because that was my noobie town, then I changed servers and went up to Minoc/vesper. When searching for this I found that they added invasions for all the towns. Pretty cool.

*dick grows bigger* I played since launch. I know some servers had areas unique to their respective shard, so maybe that was the case?

I dunno. I remember venturing out the gates of Trinsic in '97 and getting killed by orcs and ettins. Then I decided that all the fun was inside the town gates and stole poo poo from people at banks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There was an invasion of Trinsic as part of the pre-Renaissance events. Minax returns, rolls over Trinsic, some GM-operated boss monster builds a temple, the players stage a counter-invasion.

Only instead of succeeding, Lord British says 'lol u suk!' and creates Trammel, leaving Felucca to rot.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

dorkfall is why i finally caved and payed ten bux to reg cause I wanted part of awful company but instead got put in a pubbie buffer guild called terrible company. owned myself pretty hard with that one.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I thought darkfall:uw was pretty fun for what it was, I am skeptical of the direction Ub3rgames is taking with the franchise but I wish them all the best

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I thought darkfall:uw was pretty fun for what it was, I am skeptical of the direction Ub3rgames is taking with the franchise but I wish them all the best

I'd deny them the license based on the name alone. You don't call your loving company that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'd deny them the license based on the name alone. You don't call your loving company that.

Back in EQ no one called the items they had as "legendary", every good item was referred to as "uber".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tenzarin posted:

Back in EQ no one called the items they had as "legendary", every good item was referred to as "uber".

phats

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kibato posted:

Actually there are two teams trying to buy the licence:

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/

http://riseofagon.com/

But the CEO of Aventurine Zad Mehdawi is a major rear end in a top hat and I don't think it will work out.

Oh and since there is no alternative, I would totally buy the game.
In the meantime I will play this neat Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha.

I have no idea what the difference between the two games is supposed to be.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

Deki posted:

I have no idea what the difference between the two games is supposed to be.

seems like ROA stays true to original DFO combat and DND is looking to change many of the core gameplay features.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

afkmacro posted:

dorkfall is why i finally caved and payed ten bux to reg cause I wanted part of awful company but instead got put in a pubbie buffer guild called terrible company. owned myself pretty hard with that one.

Ehhhh, terrible company was basically the same thing as awful company just with more hardcore players ;)

Goons actually didnt like the idea of me allowing pubbies to play with us(in a sub guild) but Ive always felt its better to harness the power of those willing to fight for goons, :tenbux: or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
goons are very weird about pubbies

most goons dont realize they are pubbies who paid $10

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I bought platinum so I am really no longer a pubbie.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kylra posted:

I bought platinum so I am really no longer a pubbie.

no you're still a pubbie, just queen pubbie (of our hearts)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

FormerFatty posted:

Ehhhh, terrible company was basically the same thing as awful company just with more hardcore players ;)

Goons actually didnt like the idea of me allowing pubbies to play with us(in a sub guild) but Ive always felt its better to harness the power of those willing to fight for goons, :tenbux: or not.

Holy crap I remember you, gluttony right? you were a really fun dude to play with. That first month or two was amazing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

FormerFatty posted:

just have a sponsor system that you never actually enforce and if someone is horrible and no one likes them remove them

this works very well in goon guilds as long as you can shout down anyone who keeps using the word pubbies

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:10bux: is the difference between a man and a subhuman piece of garbage, my friends

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

afkmacro posted:

Holy crap I remember you, gluttony right? you were a really fun dude to play with. That first month or two was amazing.

Yeah, in retrospect even with the inevitable dogpile on us in the end, I'm cool with how everything went down. 2 months of loving with roleplayer carebears was better than spending 2 months exploiting everything possible.

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Darkfall is a cool game and I will play the first month or two when and if anything new comes out

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I played this way back when in the early days of the game - long before I became a goon (though we were neighbors for a time). The game had several interesting ideas but there were just problems at the core in terms of gameplay mechanics. That Afghanistan group exploiting said mechanics really didn't help matters.

Favorite memory: Helping to cause the Duchy of Wessex to partially implode. Those guys were nutters - especially the upper ranks.

Erev fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 20, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Erev posted:

I played this way back when in the early days of the game - long before I became a goon (though we were neighbors for a time). The game had several interesting ideas but there were just problems at the core in terms of gameplay mechanics. That Afghanistan group exploiting said mechanics really didn't help matters.

Favorite memory: Helping to cause the Duchy of Wessex to partially implode. Those guys were nutters - especially the upper ranks.

lol at the guy who was his herald

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
So... a group of former AC Darktide players made Darkfall, their idealized MMO.

Now a group of Darkfall players wants to make Darkfall 2.0, their idealized MMO.

:cawg:

Darktide was a thing because back in the day, information on the game was severely limited. You saw a crazy guy running up to you and beating you to a pulp with his fists, grunting, then running off into the distance after looting your favorite armor off your rotten corpse and wondered how he was level 25 and got so strong. You didn't run off to the wiki to figure out what build was best and where the optimal leveling spots were. It was also a rare occurrence - you didn't have people endlessly camping newbie areas murdering everyone in sight 24/7. That made the new game experience and first MMO nostalgia last a hell of a lot longer which helped us ignore the flaws the game had. By the end of the first month or two of Darkfall we had broken the game over our knees, exploits & bots were rampant, and people grew bored of it.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Erev posted:

It's funny how much the various Hyperion people actually kind of hated eachother.

I went down to naked raid Silversun republic's city for a week since they were dumb enough to not kill me on sight right away. Just by being entertaining in zone chat I talked a bunch of their members into giving me the locations of allies in their city who were afk macroing. I went from dirt poor to having enough reagents/poo poo tier weapons to get myself up to midlevel magic mastery stuff. Shame that I didn't manage to spend it all until long after COTC broke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
it says a lot about the average moron who plays darkfall that extremely small zones where everything is obsolete 2 weeks into launch where you *gasp* can't kill new characters offends them

fondest memory of the reboot: getting $400 for my character

• Locked thread