Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Darkfall unholy wars sucked rear end because all the cool bros knew how OP being an archer was for starting camped outside the noobie zone and insta killed everyone who left.

I totally bet removing noobie zones and making new characters killable on creation will be a large boost to bringing new people into this sperg fest of a game.

I highly doubt the low interest in the game is caused by roaming death squads that insta kill you and call you a fag when they take all your items is causing this games slow painful death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

What the gently caress is Darkfall.

It is rust the mmo with grinding and you have to pay a monthly fee

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

The concept of a game where it was possible to make everyone else on the server cancel their christmas through the use of game mechanics is hilarious. The actual reality of darkfall is just another lovely me-too ffa full loot pvp shitfest from the people who thought trammel was the death of gaming.

Tell you the truth UO with full pvp turned the pretrammel game into a ghost town. Just about no one stayed in the open. Trammel was a huge improvement to the house market too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

I discussed this in the crowfall thread mainly but the problem with open pvp games is that the notional hardcore pvp types don't actually like full loot pvp. What they like is victimising carebears and scrubs. When they are the ones on the receiving end of a gank and loot they tend to give up and quit the game. This coupled with safety in numbers leads to awful imbalances where you end up with 1 giant superguild that crushes everyone else then turns on itself when there is nobody else left to victimise. As a result these uo-like pvp games tend to haemorrhage players from modest launch numbers and disappear in a spiral of rage quits.

UO didn't quite get the super guilds. Dying and losing everything wasn't a big deal at all because just about everyone only casted spells, was basically naked with the free blessed robes that always stayed on, and a high crafted cheap crafted weapon. Oh there where also runes and keys but only morons carried their house keys and a house rune to teleport to their house.

Sure you could lose it all when ganked but only dumb people carried like more than 100 of each regent with out a reason too(All spells costed mana and a regent, like portal stones in wow).

The other thing in UO is that near the trammel days people stopped using full sets of armor, because it was pointless, the armor system was just garbage. It would lower your stats for armor but by using certain parts you could have more armor with ringmail than full platemail.

The other reason armor fell out is that everyone went caster/caster hybrid. And armor messed with your spells alittle bit. A large amount of people lvled up their wrestling skill so they could just punch people and they never even had to carry a weapon. I also think your had to have a spell book in your hand to cast or something and you used the wrestling skill to punch with a book. Spell books were also loot protected items, you couldn't lose your spellbook.

I want to say Shadowbane and L2 were the rise of the big pk guilds, UO had them but they never had the power to terrorize a game like they did in these two.

UO is seen as a full loot pvp game but everyone overlooks how many protective systems were actually in the game. Pretty much everyone kept all their best poo poo in the bank because in town you could yell "Guards" and guards would appear and kill anyone near you that was hostile or even grey from something else and just happened to run on your screen.

The "Guards" thing wasn't that bad but the way you talked to NPCs in the game was all through text commands. And macros were big in the UO days and people usually only had one macro for NPCS, "GUARDS BANK VENDOR SELL VENDOR BUY HAIL". So basically doing anything in town people everyone would spam the poo poo out of the guards making towns death zones if you flagged.

Guards also one shot you not matter what, and your corpse was most likely completely looted in less then 5 seconds in town. Because you were flagged your corpse was just free loot.

Ok back the banks, everyone kept all their money, best items, regent stacks in the bank. So no body ran around with alot of money outside of town for no reason.

Gear was basically worthless in the game because you didn't need alot of it to do anything. You could skip gear so easy, you could be fully naked and just go somewhere tame 100 polar bears and they would be your weapon.

TLDR;
I drifted off there, basically UO had alot of ways to get around the "Full Loot' pvp of the game. You cant kind of compare it to Shadowbane and L2 but the gear in those two was so much harder to replace, buy, or even farm holy poo poo. It just makes them in another league of pvp mmo I guess.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 15, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's why I spent all my time in felucia I think it's name was. It was a ghost town, I could farm lich lords as long as I wanted and get stupid rich. The few fights I did get into were generally long running battles because the only people with balls enough to live there were generally competent at the game, and I don't think anyone ever stole my equipment anymore, I'd usually just get a "drat good fight, here let me rez you."

But yeah the house was in Trammel because there wasn't a spot you could put a house in Fel, it was all taken.

In pretrammel, I didn't have a house. I had like 3 boats by in some city right next to each other. Ghetto house but it worked. After I had a tower in trammel, I used one of them to go out mining. Boat mining was the loving poo poo in that game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really didn't have any crafting skills, since crafting would flat out require you buy a second account to level an alt with. So pretty much I'd farm lich lords. I did run a small shop however since I got a metric fuckton of silver vanq weapons off of said lichlords that turned a tidy profit.

Pretty much all I did was pvp in fel for days on end with occasional dips into despair (I think) to top of my cash, then back home to drop my stash off in trammel. It did really solidify the difference in the pvp/pve community. Though to be honest outside of fighting another player I have no clue what that game was good for. Once you had even 6x GM no PVE content was really worth engaging in.

I did enjoy running around with a white wyrm before they made the taming changes to where only tamers could control those types of tames.

You could have multiple characters on your account. I was leveling my taming in the ice land area on polar bears, I teleported to town and had them attack everyone in my guild. You could freely attack guild members in UO in town.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Same with guilds you were at war with. You'd type in IRC "x guild at trinsic small bank" and within ten seconds, eight guild mates Recall to your location, and the Corp Pors start flying.

I wish MMORPGs never evolved past the Ultima Online pre-Renaissance stage. I've never had more fun in a computer game than I did during that time.

trinsic was a nice town intill it got killed by monsters.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Did EA do something to it? Trinsic was my favorite town. I was a town thief and I would lead people on wild goose chases across the walls and into one of the random buildings until I handed the stolen item off to my friend.

I think it was that town, like it got invaded by monsters long before trammel was talked about.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Naw, couldn't have been, I played in Trinsic way after Renaissance (Trammel/Felucca) and it was just like any old town.

Ok maybe it was before your time then. That town once was a normal town then it got invaded for a long rear end time. I know this because that was my noobie town, then I changed servers and went up to Minoc/vesper. When searching for this I found that they added invasions for all the towns. Pretty cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'd deny them the license based on the name alone. You don't call your loving company that.

Back in EQ no one called the items they had as "legendary", every good item was referred to as "uber".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah that's why Darkfall has died about a month after launch, twice. It's not problems with the game, but the entire concept. People do NOT want to play a game like this.

It can provide some awesome moments, but it also drives away 99% of the potential playerbase. So you don't get any moments!

Wanting to make it more "hardcore" is going to result in the 3rd iteration of Darkfall with 15 players online.

The game was pretty fun to play, I never was able to leave the protected noob zone. Pretend you are playing rust except noobs only spawn in these select areas that everyone knows about. Now you and your team surround this area to make some kind of deathcamp. You are now playing darkfall.

There are no vendors so you die and drop everything you have because they picked the class with a bow. So like rust without houses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deki posted:

Nothing will ever get done with the darkfall remakes because the second you make even the tinest change to the game, the community is going to whine and bitch up a storm. Darkfall 1 failed because it pissed off everyone who wasn't a raging pvp addict. Those same addicts don't realize that catering only to them is just going to result in another lovely game that folds in a few months. Archeage is probably the most recent example of this..

Unholy wars was kinda fun but the moment you left the noobie area you got shot in the face by the guys just sitting there and waiting. Only played for part of that first free month.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How hardcore was the hacking?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played the one that was on steam. If you ever left the noobie zone there was always some guy in the bushes waiting with a bow to murder you in a few hits.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SweetBro posted:

Man, I love how since 2003 we have scaled back the definition of MMO from 1k people per server, to 64 people per server.

Check out eternal crusade, multiplayer deathmatch modes are now mmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its like playing Rust on a server that never wipes.

• Locked thread