Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
A group of former Darkfall players has formed a company called Ub3rgames which is currently attempting to negotiate a licensing deal with original publisher Aventurine. Assuming success, the company’s website estimates between six and nine months of development prior to launch. It aims to avoid the safe zones and classes introduced in Darkfall’s Unholy Wars reboot, and it also says that it will incentivize “positive interactions to make Darkfall more than a gankbox.”

New Dawn will feature a box price, a monthly subscription, and it will not have a cash shop, though some sort of PLEX-like game time object is planned.

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Adventurine made an off-hand comment about how they'd like to license out Darkfall 1 development some day and these idiots jumped at the chance for them to say no.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If I were them, I wouldn't say no to anyone. They're not exactly in the position to choose from a variety of interested parties.

I mean if the universe was a fair and just place they would have died when Darkfall 1 was poo poo, so who knows at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jackdonkey posted:

The combat of Darkfall was pretty fun.

Pay attention kids, this is how you know someone has brain damage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

but did Darkfall really have a true melee combat model? I can't remember if it was M&B-like or not. Suppose I should have elaborated, but it's definitely not great for MMOs logistically.

Pffft no. The combat was poo poo on all fronts, melee was just click to swing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snaxxor posted:

I just wanted to make sure that no one here actually has a DFUW account currently subscribed. No one here is actively playing that game right now, correct?

The main problem has always been cheaters with any MMO, either you are able to deal with them swiftly and effectively or you can't. I think that is a huge factor with any multiplayer game. For some reason they did pretty good for themselves in Darkfall past and present. I would be willing to partake in legal internet gambling that, if curtailing cheating was a #1 priority, this game could flourish again. With such a known limited staff at AV they need to focus on the single biggest game breaking issue plaguing their game. The game is an easy obvious cash cow, the cost to run it is probably negligible.

Nixing the cheating would not magically make Darkfall not utter garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011
priceisrighthorn.wav

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looked bad when it released though?

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're right, there are good games out there too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What you remember wasn't as good as you remember, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

kibato posted:

Ub3rgames is much more professional than Aventurine ever was

This bar is so low it's in the Earth's core.

• Locked thread