Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

Adventurine made an off-hand comment about how they'd like to license out Darkfall 1 development some day and these idiots jumped at the chance for them to say no.

If I were them, I wouldn't say no to anyone. They're not exactly in the position to choose from a variety of interested parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

It was a bad broken as hell game that was fun despite itself imo

With the skill cap being implemented, it won't be so bad anymore.

I never understood why they did that. Everything wrong with the game was just a matter of changing the ruleset slightly.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

I discussed this in the crowfall thread mainly but the problem with open pvp games is that the notional hardcore pvp types don't actually like full loot pvp. What they like is victimising carebears and scrubs. When they are the ones on the receiving end of a gank and loot they tend to give up and quit the game. This coupled with safety in numbers leads to awful imbalances where you end up with 1 giant superguild that crushes everyone else then turns on itself when there is nobody else left to victimise. As a result these uo-like pvp games tend to haemorrhage players from modest launch numbers and disappear in a spiral of rage quits.

Exactly. I hate how my desire for a living, breathing world is confused with "PERMADEATH + FULL LOOT + KILL THE loving CASUALS"

I just want a loving MMO to be something more than a clunky, inferior single player RPG with people in the way blocking your view of NPCs, grouping for dungeons and a couple chat channels. I've noticed that a lot of people refer to SWG and Asheron's Call when it comes to sandbox design rather than games like Ultima Online where you have to explain what iteration you liked and why you didn't like the others for twenty minutes.

Galaxies did a very good job of making sense of PVP and giving you a reason to kill other players. Especially bounty hunting. Origin's tagline explains why I fell in love with the genre. "We create worlds", despite the technology advancing tenfold allowing single shards with tens of thousands of players, I have never felt more isolated.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I thought darkfall:uw was pretty fun for what it was, I am skeptical of the direction Ub3rgames is taking with the franchise but I wish them all the best

I'd deny them the license based on the name alone. You don't call your loving company that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

it says a lot about the average moron who plays darkfall that extremely small zones where everything is obsolete 2 weeks into launch where you *gasp* can't kill new characters offends them

fondest memory of the reboot: getting $400 for my character

As stated earlier in this thread, I'm sick of this "sandbox MMO means being able to be an rear end in a top hat in the biggest ways imaginable".

I don't want to play a game that consists of trolls trolling trolls until one of them quits. It's loving dumb and it's unsustainable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah that's why Darkfall has died about a month after launch, twice. It's not problems with the game, but the entire concept. People do NOT want to play a game like this.

It can provide some awesome moments, but it also drives away 99% of the potential playerbase. So you don't get any moments!

Wanting to make it more "hardcore" is going to result in the 3rd iteration of Darkfall with 15 players online.

There's definitely ways to make a sandbox experience with PVP, but there needs to be reason behind it other than "I want that guys gear" or "I want to make him angry".

SWG's bounty hunter system is a fantastic example, same goes for all of EVE and ArcheAge's trade pack system is awesome too being held back by the rest of the mediocre mechanics.

Unfortunately it seems like uttering the word sandbox and referencing UO and Galaxies is a guaranteed way to get people hyped for any MMO. Maybe Black Desert was truly different in CBT1 but from what I played, it was as much of a sandbox as modern World of Warcraft.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have any of you guys played Mortal Online? It's a first person MMO kinda like what you guys have been describing. The coolest aspect of it for me is that the game world is largely undocumented and huge so finding things can actually happen. Unfortunately the combat was a bit janky for my tastes.

I'd like to see a sequel/successor. Same mechanics, just better implementation, and more importantly a better business model.

Remember, MO was basically the first MMO to have action/first person combat model in a time where the combat was optimized for a different time and different hardware

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 27, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

Darkfall came before MO, dingus.

but did Darkfall really have a true melee combat model? I can't remember if it was M&B-like or not. Suppose I should have elaborated, but it's definitely not great for MMOs logistically.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

I have no idea what "true melee" means because Mortal online has never not played/looked like a potato to me.

When I say true melee, I'm talking about physics based combat that is more than just an attack animation you can press multiple times to swing left/swing right. Think of something like Chivalry/M&B versus the Half Life crowbar or Elder Scrolls Online's system.

I don't know, maybe Gloria Victis was the first MMO to do it, either way, the game people dreamed up while hyping up Mortal Online is achievable now. Then again, Gloria Victis pretty much is that game.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

The game isn't achievable except on LAN.

Gloria Victis.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

In darkfall rerelease news, the community is already eating itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/3r1gmz/why_i_am_not_supporting_darkfall_rise_of_agon/

Ssme. I've tried 3 times to give the game a fair shake and it's just not fun for me.

This is some serious drama for a group of glorified modders.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://massivelyop.com/2015/11/07/n...campaign=buffer

It's loving happening? I thought this was a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WbGjCQ5uE

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

PsycheNotFound posted:

The title of this thread had me severely disappointed. I thought this was going to be an MMO for "A Reckless Disregard for Gravity". That it's about some people wanting to keep Darkfall around is even more disappointing.

I just got the visual of thousands of people falling down a hole over and over again in my head with "WTB +15 parachute" flooding chat.

I'd be more willing to play that than Darkfall again.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Deki posted:

Would be kind of nice to see an actually competent company attempt a sandbox mmo.

Larian plz
you already made the successor to Ultima 7 with Divinity Original Sin
now make the successor UO

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's still Early Access I guess? Also the minimum requirements are fairly steep, I'd say the majority of PC gamers can't even run it. But you're right, it's quite good

I have a 390x/i7 4770/12GB of memory and I can hardly run it at 30FPS at medium settings

kibato posted:

We will never get our dream corrupt-free fps sandbox full loot full pvp mmorpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmklF4az0pE

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 28, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

so is there any evidence that is anything but battlefield 4 with a russian voice pack?

Nope, but based on their timeline, we should know soon. Q1 beta, Q2 release.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kibato posted:

Ark has huge performance problems, the combat is poo poo and its no mmo. The only thing df and ark have in common is the toxic community.

If it didn't take 10 minutes to load into a server, I'd go in and casually mention Rust more often. If you want a good time, go say it. Single word.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
$40 mandatory entrance fee
$15/mo sub
all so trolls can troll other trolls until one of them gets fed up leaves, resulting in the other leaving too

Brilliant.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What is Rise of Agon's business model? Maybe I'm confusing them, but a $40 box+$15 subscription for the privilege to play a game of trolls trolling other trolls doesn't sound viable at all.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The one good thing about Darkfall is the art style, it's like Galaxies, it'll look good 10 years from now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

It looked bad when it released though?

It has a muddy Morrowind-esque charm to it, along with the "painted look". I'd certainly prefer that over Age of Conan which tried to look super realistic for the time it was released.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

is anyone going to play this garbage? i think i might for a while

I'm without a graphic card for the week so I'll try and see if it runs on integrated.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kibato posted:

Ub3rgames is much more professional than Aventurine ever was. If they can really implement all those promised features (e.g. local banking, fewer grind skills, no need of autohotkey) and maybe improve the graphics a little bit I'm so gonna play it.

But when I hear about the first guilds duping I'm probably going to leave sooner or later.

The fact that "Ub3rgames" are the ones behind this is what makes me never want to touch this, besides the fact that it's you know, Darkfall for the third time.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
They're going to make it less lovely
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/darkfall-rise-of-agon-the-big-picture.3790/#post-66293

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Anoia posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

They extended the trial
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/free-trial-extension-sea-towers-player-story-videos.3831/#post-66802

• Locked thread