Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is it true that in Asia it's reversed, and the twink body type is seen as the manly one and the muscle body type is seen as the gay one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Generally, yes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are exceptions however.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Is it true that in Asia it's reversed, and the twink body type is seen as the manly one and the muscle body type is seen as the gay one?

google bara

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That's strange to me as being strong and buff is very manly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RareAcumen posted:

girl or boy?

It's an anime. You might as well ask the same question about an elf.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The character designer for OPM tweeted that he's seen a bunch of people talking about the anime having a big budget, when in reality it has an average budget, and they just have a lot of passionate animators who want to work on it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

drilldo squirt posted:

That's strange to me as being strong and buff is very manly.

It's true, and nothing is more manly than loving other men. Get those women outta here.

I gotta say, this anime is just continuing to impress me with every single thing. The sonic jumping around scene was definitely worse than the manga in animation quality, but the animation in the Sonic v Hammerhead fight and everything with Licenseless Rider was incredible, and the music was on point all throughout. My guess is they knew they couldn't compare to Murata's ninja bounce scene, so rather than come close, fail, and get people mad about it anyway, they put in just a baseline of effort there and made sure to work hard everywhere else. I can respect that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

aers posted:

The character designer for OPM tweeted that he's seen a bunch of people talking about the anime having a big budget, when in reality it has an average budget, and they just have a lot of passionate animators who want to work on it.

I'm guessing that their scheduling is also pretty good since they had the first episode complete a month in advance?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

you just confirmed youre not a person

poo poo, my secret is out. I'm actually a VEGETA poster.

RareAcumen posted:

girl or boy?

It's Haku.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm guessing that their scheduling is also pretty good since they had the first episode complete a month in advance?

Yes.

Episode 5 is partially outsourced to DR Movie (Korean studio), just to warn people in advance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

aers posted:

Madhouse has always been the secret savior of anime.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bad Seafood posted:

Madhouse has always been the secret savior of anime.

KoB
May 1, 2009

aers posted:

Yes.

Episode 5 is partially outsourced to DR Movie (Korean studio), just to warn people in advance.

There are good and bad Korean studios, just like Japanese ones.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RareAcumen posted:

girl or boy?
Doesn't the manga actually comment on that however? I thought Naruto thinks Haku is a girl and refers to her as such until he corrects him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fabricated posted:

Doesn't the manga actually comment on that however? I thought Naruto thinks Haku is a girl and refers to her as such until he corrects him.

The english anime definitely does.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gnome7 posted:

It's true, and nothing is more manly than loving other men. Get those women outta here.

I gotta say, this anime is just continuing to impress me with every single thing. The sonic jumping around scene was definitely worse than the manga in animation quality, but the animation in the Sonic v Hammerhead fight and everything with Licenseless Rider was incredible, and the music was on point all throughout. My guess is they knew they couldn't compare to Murata's ninja bounce scene, so rather than come close, fail, and get people mad about it anyway, they put in just a baseline of effort there and made sure to work hard everywhere else. I can respect that.

What worries me is the possibility they do it for other scenes like that.

Ninja bounce is whatever but there's at least 2 I can think of that I would really sorely miss.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

KoB posted:

There are good and bad Korean studios, just like Japanese ones.

DR Movie is not great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think DR Movie is in the credits for literally every 80's/90's OVA

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The next episode shouldn't require much elaborate animation in any case. They're probably saving money for the stuff after the next ep.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Superstring posted:

The next episode shouldn't require much elaborate animation in any case. They're probably saving money for the stuff after the next ep.

The next episode has Saitama vs Genos sparring session.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The next episode has Saitama vs Genos sparring session.

Really? I would've figured that would be pushed to the episode after next.

Uh oh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Episode previews here, for future reference.

(Linked to ep 5's preview for next week)
http://onepunchman-anime.net/story/episode.php?ep=05

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I said partially outsourced; one of the two animation directors is from there. Its impossible to know how much work is being done where until it airs but it could easily be a case of part A/part B split.

KoB
May 1, 2009

aers posted:

DR Movie is not great.

Do you (anyone) know more about this? Theyve worked on at least a dozen good shows from what I can tell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KoB posted:

Do you (anyone) know more about this? Theyve worked on at least a dozen good shows from what I can tell.

You can be a bad part of a good show

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can be a bad part of a good show

Thats why Im asking for something more specific.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty sure they were the ones responsible for the big dip in animation quality in the middle of the second season of Korra.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Superstring posted:

Pretty sure they were the ones responsible for the big dip in animation quality in the middle of the second season of Korra.

Wasn't that Studio Pierrot?

And it started well before the middle of the season.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasn't that Studio Pierrot?

And it started well before the middle of the season.

Oh yeah, you're right. Never mind.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ahh, Studio Pierrot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju65VpikfVs

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Actually that segment was rotoscoped!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Source? It's not that I don't believe you but it doesn't look like other roto'd anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It looks rotoscoped in the way Disney did/does, but not like flowers of evil or waking life.

E: edit this is a distinction that possibly seems clearer in my mind than in actual fact.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2015

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The OP for this show is so drat good

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

aers posted:

Source? It's not that I don't believe you but it doesn't look like other roto'd anime.

rotoscoping just means tracing/selecting around something that moves between frames, and it's used a lot in animation, more so than most people realise. Aku no hana's weird shading is not only application of the technique. The second cut of the bike gif looks roto'd, but only as a line trace.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

The OP for this show is so drat good

It's better every listen somehow.

Power, get the power! :hellyeah:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I still cheer every time he punches the Star Guy

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

.jpg posted:

rotoscoping just means tracing/selecting around something that moves between frames, and it's used a lot in animation, more so than most people realise. Aku no hana's weird shading is not only application of the technique. The second cut of the bike gif looks roto'd, but only as a line trace.

That's exactly it.

There's no point in animating such a complex motion by hand for a simple joke, it's a colossal waste of time and money. They just line traced the kickstand-to-pose part and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think the really detailed motions of the rotoscoping made the scene even more amusing than it would have been any other way. It's very out of place so you are fixated on watching him dismount from his bike, just like the 30 guys in power armor are doing. It's a really good take on the joke of a hero requiring some initial "setup" before he can resume character.

• Locked thread