Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they would make another arena shooter that wasn't AIDS

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Impressive.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Nice

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

By the way besides having the best pregame picture it's one of the best matches I seen of Quake Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpaT5cbCIZM

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

At least I think that's the one. Cooller is so powerful that he spends about 2 minutes damaging himself to steal even the tiniest healths on the map.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Another wonderful match is him vs Cypher on Aerowalk and Cypher has like 20hp the whole time but still wins. But I don't feel like looking it up at the mome.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

*EVERYONE in the OP seing an asteroid enter the earths atmostphere, a GODLIKE first person experience!!!!!!!!!*: Drepuchnya.

*same group seeing their friend fall into a lake on Fail Army TOp Fails of Russia 2015*: Drepuchnya.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*EVERYONE in the OP seing an asteroid enter the earths atmostphere, a GODLIKE first person experience!!!!!!!!!*: Drepuchnya.

*same group seeing their friend fall into a lake on Fail Army TOp Fails of Russia 2015*: Drepuchnya.

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pretend I posted the picture of a car crashed into a wall in Russia and then the next panel Agent is standing behind the car saying five thousand swears in russian.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

hahaha

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

quake live is so dead its had the same top players for about 5 years now

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

quake live is so dead its had the same top players for about 5 years now

It's a shame but there's 15 year olds from like Belarus getting into it still lmao.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i wish theyd make a new quake...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I wish they would make another arena shooter that wasn't AIDS

Yeah I don't get why it seems impossible for somebody to do this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is the new UT any fun.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

In Training posted:

Is the new UT any fun.

you can buy hats in it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bet if they made a Quake game that wasn't going for the 'looks like the game came with chams pre-installed' feel, people would buy it. Nobody wants to play the game where you shoot at neon green men on a map with no detail at all.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I bet if they made a Quake game that wasn't going for the 'looks like the game came with chams pre-installed' feel, people would buy it. Nobody wants to play the game where you shoot at neon green men on a map with no detail at all.

The game people don't want to play is an arena shooter where you have to rely on yourself and move around the map to stay alive instead of just hiding in a corner until your health comes back and letting the other 500 people on your team disperse deaths you would have taken if you weren't such a punk rear end. The thousands of games they've tried to make at this point that are just like both UT and Quake are huge failures (including Quake Live and UT3) and the only reason the new UT will have any players for any amount of time is stupid people remember vehicle maps and other dumb novelties.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a sad state of affairs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Q3:A and UT99 were extremely my poo poo back in the day. Well, just wanted to share that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it would help if every non-AAA shooter had a playerbase of more than 100 on release

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

it would help if every non-AAA shooter had a playerbase of more than 100 on release

None of the arena shooters I've heard about have come out, they're all Early Access crap that basically kills any chance of a player base ever existing

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The next best thing you could be playing is CS and the only reason I can think that people didn't stop playing that a thousand years ago is Valve spends a trillion dollars pushing it as a esport and has as close to a call of duty carrot stick thing in it as you can have while keeping a game competitively balanced. Cuz besides that the reputation and esports stuff precedes the game, the same million lunatics who play TF2 to get hats and poo poo can get there rocks off in CS. Plus I guess in some ways it's stayed easier to grasp than arena shooters because of how used to games like Cod and Battlefield people have gotten. Not to say it's like those or anything and hell, I like CS when I'm in the mood to stomach the other people that play it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

None of the arena shooters I've heard about have come out, they're all Early Access crap that basically kills any chance of a player base ever existing

This

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

toxikk devs: yeah, were just straight up ripping of ut2004. who cares as long as its fun?

toxikk devs: thank you to all whove supported us now on our fourth year of early access

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wickland, Reflex, Xyiotuiz, Reload Net or whatever, and every other name you could picture as an Arena Shooter Knockoff In Early Access is in fact a game in early access and is completely dead. And hell, Wickland is like a fast UT clone with a couple twists and it's sort of awesome, but there's only 2 people that play it in the entire world. Reflex is just an awesome graphics quake 3 with cpma, and no one plays it outside of 3 people in Sweden.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They would probably get more people to play their game if they just loving released them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you need money to develop a game and ideally early access is a way to give people a demo of what they paid for, and the influx of funds would spur development

what devs actually do is leave their game in early access for 2+ years and very gradually trickle out content in case people start thinking no ones home

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
early access is just a means for developers to be able to release unfinished games. finishing what you started isn't economical.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Prison Architect finally 'released' last week after being in early access for 3 years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

John Quixote posted:

early access is just a means for developers to be able to release unfinished games. finishing what you started isn't economical.

I wonder if anybody is keeping track of these projects since there's so loving many. Like how many Early Access games are completed vs how many show up on steam in a given week. I bet lots of "games" that are barely passable scams crop up all the time but nobody notices because of the sheer volume of releases

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

lol, i just googled to get some stats on how many early access games actually get released, and as of november last year, it's something like 25%

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
They better make a new Quake.

In Training posted:

Is the new UT any fun.

Its ok.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the new UT is hardly in alpha so its hard to say. also the whole community-run thing means it'll probably stay that way for years

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Wickland, Reflex, Xyiotuiz, Reload Net or whatever, and every other name you could picture as an Arena Shooter Knockoff In Early Access is in fact a game in early access and is completely dead. And hell, Wickland is like a fast UT clone with a couple twists and it's sort of awesome, but there's only 2 people that play it in the entire world. Reflex is just an awesome graphics quake 3 with cpma, and no one plays it outside of 3 people in Sweden.

A combined total of a two digits number between the players of all early access arena fps games

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

They would probably get more people to play their game if they just loving released them

Rtaz instagib had a decent amount of players for about a week between free weekend and $5 sale

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Rtaz instagib had a decent amount of players for about a week between free weekend and $5 sale

Ratz Instagib is fairly epic for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont remember much about him but he posted around here a lot so RIP penetrator

• Locked thread