Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

I was watching Colbert and I saw CBS' ad for this cop show called "Blue Bloods". Had never seen of it before. Well, everyone knows that blue bloods means old money! But the spot for the show clearly depicts a heroic besieged uniformed Tom Selleck. Are the 'blue bloods of our nation truly beseiged? Are they righteous motherfuckers?

Anyway, gently caress tha police. Peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yes, op. close thread

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bad boys bad boys

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Alaska State Troopers is good as hell. That's my opinion, and I vote.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i like the television show cops. its funny and topical

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i lust for cop health

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Well, the smug rear end in a top hat talking about how he "Knows his rights" is always a guilty criminal mastermind trying to get away with it. And the smarmy lawyer who shows up talking about his client's rights is always trying to help his evil client (who is obviously guilty) get away with crimes. And the cop who's all "gently caress the rules, I know it was him" is always right, except in that one single episode where he was wrong (makes you think!)

So, I don't know, OP. Maybe.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i remember when that one cop pretended to be a rapist ex con and goaded a recovering rapist ex con into attempting murder so he could kill him, and this guy was the main character in a long-running law & order spinoff

like say what you will about recidivism but that character went way too far imo should've been put away

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

I urinate in public every chance I get.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Once an under cover cop tried to trick me into buying drugs. I beat the living poo poo out of him and told him if he told his cop buddies about it he'd never hear the end of it getting beaten up by a homo. I never got in trouble and when I see him walking down the street he looks away in shame pretending he can't see me.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

huskarl_marx posted:

i remember when that one cop pretended to be a rapist ex con and goaded a recovering rapist ex con into attempting murder so he could kill him, and this guy was the main character in a long-running law & order spinoff

like say what you will about recidivism but that character went way too far imo should've been put away

What?

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

I like to rub my rear end-cheeks all over cop cars.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cop shows are propaganda for the real heroes of our society. Its good that hollywood is on the cops' side in this info war against the most noble and trustworthy citizens in our republic.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCPaKMWVfs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cop shows taught me that it is cool and good to make a witty joke whenever you are in the presence of a dead body

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cop shows create cop autism

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Impeach eric holder. Detective elliot stabler for attorney general.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quakster posted:

cop shows create cop autism

Interesting proposition, go on

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Interesting proposition, go on
cop shows portray the cops as the audience surrogate, thus making you identify with characters that often engage in abuses of authority, and ask you to accept this misconduct by forcing you to symphatize with the cops as without the cops, there is no show to watch

cop autism is one of the most heinous forms of autism

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Brooklyn 99 had an actual sub plot where Jake shot and murdered a young black man and was not apologetic about it.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
nazis nazis what you gonna do when they come for jews

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imagine if in die hard, john mcclane was a whiny pussy and the other cop he talks to on the phone didn't feel guilt over murdering a kid

that's the protagonists of a cop show. terrible in every way

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Everything is propaganda.

Including this post. Vote Bernie Sanders. Follow the true path, comrades.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you ever watch the show "cops" and come away thinking the police are awful people who deserve what they get, you're probably a criminal. hth

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax
police officers are cool dudes who do a good job of keeping our communities safe

and if you think they are racist you are wrong i have seen black cops with my own eyes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The_Rob posted:

Brooklyn 99 had an actual sub plot where Jake shot and murdered a young black man and was not apologetic about it.

Id jake the unfunny sneering jew who is the main character because i could never watch that show because of him

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

Id jake the unfunny sneering jew who is the main character because i could never watch that show because of him

whoa there buddy, let's cool it with the antisemitism, maybe you don't know but there was this thing called the holocaust, it was kind of a big deal

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
its cool when a pro-cop show like law and order shows cops being crooked without commenting on it and you cant tell if its gritty realism or if the writers dont even realize because theyve internalized the mindset too

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that the traditional narrative structure that is used in run of the mill tv shows has some things in common with propagandistic media.

When the good guy wins in Aristotelian stories, everything goes back to the normal order. Propaganda advertises a normal order that it depicts as good, just and right.

So I don't think that cop shows like what you describe are necessarily propagandistic, but I do think that they both use similar techniques to get people invested in the portrayed perspective.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think that the traditional narrative structure that is used in run of the mill tv shows has some things in common with propagandistic media.

When the good guy wins in Aristotelian stories, everything goes back to the normal order. Propaganda advertises a normal order that it depicts as good, just and right.

So I don't think that cop shows like what you describe are necessarily propagandistic, but I do think that they both use similar techniques to get people invested in the portrayed perspective.

Ugh come on the short answer is

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
George Orwell once wrote a review in which he touched the subject you are interested in, OP:

http://orwell.ru/library/reviews/chase/english/e_bland

quote:

Hence the curious fact that in Wallace's most characteristic stories the ‘clue’ and the ‘deduction’ play no part. The criminal is always defeated by an incredible coincidence, or because in some unexplained manner the police know all about the crime beforehand. The tone of the stories makes it quite clear that Wallace's admiration for the police is pure bully-worship. A Scotland Yard detective is the most powerful kind of being that he can imagine, while the criminal figures in his mind as an outlaw against whom anything is permissible, like the condemned slaves in the Roman arena. His policemen behave much more brutally than British policemen do in real life — they hit people with out provocation, fire revolvers past their ears to terrify them and so on — and some of the stories exhibit a fearful intellectual sadism. (For instance, Wallace likes to arrange things so that the villain is hanged on the same day as the heroine is married.) But it is sadism after the English fashion: that is to say, it is unconscious, there is not overtly any sex in it, and it keeps within the bounds of the law. The British public tolerates a harsh criminal law and gets a kick out of monstrously unfair murder trials: but still that is better, on any account, than tolerating or admiring crime. If one must worship a bully, it is better that he should be a policeman than a gangster.

Or if that's tl;dr:

quakster posted:

yes, op. close thread

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

Ugh come on the short answer is

Well ok yeah, cop shows are loving stupid.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
actual cop work involves sitting on your rear end for hours and maybe fake a report so you dont have to work

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
There's one thing that every person arrested on the show Cops have in common. They are all really stupid. Don't be stupid and you won't have a problem with cops.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the only true compumentary is Paul Blart Mall cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mad Monk posted:

There's one thing that every person arrested on the show Cops have in common. They are all really stupid. Don't be stupid and you won't have a problem with cops.

Propagandistic bullshit. People get harassed by cops even when they haven't done poo poo.

• Locked thread