Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What was the first one? The one I nicknamed 'Dick kicker'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

We have three people working together and then one who won't edit their character :smith:

I will take this person's spot if they continue this behavior!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats this? People are coordinating? Ridiculous!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Same here, I'm the one being the nerd and testing things when everyone wants to joke and lark. Why won't they take an internet tournament on Crappy Minecraft seriously? :argh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Accept their gimmick and start optimizing from there. :v: It's a lot more fun for everyone involved, since it doesn't turn into the unfun situation of taking control over fighters from your teammates (I was too pushy in the first team test tournament, and we paid for it)

Not counting gremlin-sized martial artists and such, I'm yet to see a build that can't be made to work with a bit of tweaking.
edit: Wait, no, Bad Munki's gremlin martial artist managed to kill something. So... yeah...

my dad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 18, 2015

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I have actually won fights both with a Minotaur crossbowman and a Minotaur armed only with 30 crossbow bolts. This is not a game you should min-max your dude, because there's a pretty good chance a single random roll lets the gimmick build slaughter him.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah Im just gonna make my dude and see how he goes.
My maceman will win or die trying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks like Cool Rad Awesome Pals might have a commissioner on our team. I'm basing my build on that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

It looks like Cool Rad Awesome Pals might have a commissioner on our team. I'm basing my build on that.

How does this work? I am curious for a friend.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh it's really quite simple. See, I just go ahead and do my typical gently caress Rogers poo poo build, and then we see to it that my commissioner either runs the match or calls in a favor on whoever's running the fight, and then that person sees to it that I lose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Randomness is a big part of the fun, mostly because it allows builds that are "just crazy enough to work", especially when you know exactly what kind of crazy you need.

To use the career of my armored snakeman Tincan from a previous tournament as an example - I went with a gimmick steel plated biter build for the first fight and won. I figured my next oponent will try to counter my gimmick with some armor of their own to avoid getting owned by venomous bites, so I changed my build and countered the counter by buying a hammer and enough skill to reliably use it, and had fun reading the surprised reactions in the thread after I easily won the fight. Then, I was up against a molemarian with an axe. I figured that the only way for me to lose the fight is for the other guy to upgrade his weapon to adamantine, so I went ahead and upgraded my armor to counter this. Except, that's not what he did. Instead of going for a conservative, and generally excellent build that would unfortunately get him killed in this particular fight, he went for something crazy that might actually beat my fighter, even though it was somewhat of a long shot: He sold his weapon and respecced to unarmed fighting. The fight ended with his fighter being on the ground and close to death, and then suddenly grabbing the hammer out of my fighter's hands and beating her to a pulp with it. I genuinely enjoyed that loss more than I'd have enjoyed winning the fight, because holy poo poo, that was a really cool last second twist, and it wasn't just lolrandomness, it was the result of a creative, gutsy plan by that ended up working. How could I be upset about that?

my dad fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 18, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Astus posted:

I have actually won fights both with a Minotaur crossbowman and a Minotaur armed only with 30 crossbow bolts. This is not a game you should min-max your dude, because there's a pretty good chance a single random roll lets the gimmick build slaughter him.

Min/maxotaur finds your statement offensive and declares war on all gimmick characters!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Oh, god, my team is the overall largest in the arena and we're team 13. :stonk:

This is going to be a horrorshow one way or the other; figured I'd throw in a game to reflect that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Anchors posted:

Min/maxotaur finds your statement offensive and declares war on all gimmick characters!
My gimmick Yeti takes that as a challenge and, assuming she doesn't pass out from a stubbed toe, looks forward to smashing Min/Maxotaur to paste in rounds 2 and 17!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Once again, I am attired in the finest platinum chainmail.

My victory is assured.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

my dad posted:

Accept their gimmick and start optimizing from there. :v: It's a lot more fun for everyone involved, since it doesn't turn into the unfun situation of taking control over fighters from your teammates (I was too pushy in the first team test tournament, and we paid for it)

Not counting gremlin-sized martial artists and such, I'm yet to see a build that can't be made to work with a bit of tweaking.
edit: Wait, no, Bad Munki's gremlin martial artist managed to kill something. So... yeah...

We're the ones gimmicking and they're the one who is not :colbert:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 18, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
A quick question for Jazzimus Prime, so I know how doomed I am:

Do gauntlets, gloves, and boots cover the fingers and toes? I recall reading that they didn't at one point, and I am suddenly worried about my Achilles toes.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

SynthOrange posted:

Whats this? People are coordinating? Ridiculous!

I love that our team hasn't given a solitary about talking to each other yet.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

dasmause posted:

Sent you a mail and message on skype, hope any of them arrived

I had a missed call from 'defeeca' but nothing else. Don't worry about it, I will check out you guys' builds and try and optimise mine for the group! (badly)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GreyPowerVan posted:

We have three people working together and then one who won't edit their character :smith:

We do?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
FINE. I have destroyed my fighter to fit your whims.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

goatface posted:

Don't give in to the haters, be the beautiful and crippled butterfly you ache to be.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Keru posted:

We never talked either :v:

Check out our builds. Goatface may have just changed it.

goatface posted:

I was mostly joking. You can put it back to how you had it if you want :)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Working together?

I just made the build I decided I wanted before teams were even decided.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FillInTheBlank posted:

Working together?

I just made the build I decided I wanted before teams were even decided.

Yes, now look at everyone else.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Don't worry about co-ordinating your builds. No other team would go to the effort to synergize themselves into the perfect collaborative killing machine. No team will. Certainly not OUR team. Don't worry.

Relax.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yes, now look at everyone else.

Following in my footsteps eh?

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Nope, I think it's a perfectly appropriate name.

Endorph posted:

I vote we just keep it. Unlucky 13 and all.

But if any of you guys have another name idea, I'll change it.

Then it's agreed. We are team 13!

edit: I love our subtitle though.

Godna fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 18, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FillInTheBlank posted:

Following in my footsteps eh?

Someone else did it, then I had to as well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Now I want to know if you all are doing the same build or if you coordinated outfits .

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Coordinating is for weak and smalls. Get big and buff! :krakken:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I can neither confirm nor deny that my team may or may not have all four fighters as kobolds armed with bows.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

So how much points do you earn per round?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Keru posted:

It's just a sign of our complete confidence!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO FINALIZE YOUR BUILDS AND YOUR TEAM NAMES :siren: :siren: :siren:

dasmause posted:

So how much points do you earn per round?

It depends on the fighter race. There is a small bonus each round during the 18-round regular season, and then much larger bonuses for reaching and advancing in the playoff.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_races.php?1

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO FINALIZE YOUR BUILDS AND YOUR TEAM NAMES :siren: :siren: :siren:

Actually, I checked with everyone, they all say they're good to go, you can go ahead and launch the first round now. You can trust me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh yeah, are we still doing that thing where former champions get a pointless vanity item?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I vote for platinum thong.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Silk gauntlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Cave Spider silk sock.