Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I clicked a link on Polygon and then I saw this. I'm so sorry for both of these crimes. Please do not click on this link for I have stolen it for you

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/5/9454391/destinys-titular-character-is-transgender-although-youre-forgiven-if

quote:

Destiny's most recent expansion, The Taken King, is centered around a transgender character. That’s big enough news, but the more interesting question is the following: Why wasn’t this discussed in the gaming press?

Why? Why wasn't this discussed? You shitlords didn't discuss it why didn't you discuss it!??!

quote:

The reason few players were talking about this groundbreaking piece of mainstream video game transgender representation is because it isn't actually acknowledged within the game itself. This fascinating, and potentially groundbreaking, piece of Destiny lore is hidden away in unlockable text logs that can only be read outside of the game on Bungie's website.

It’s all a bit arcane if you’re unfamiliar with the game, but you collect Calcified Fragments in an area known as the Deadnaught which allows you to unlock excerpts of something called the Books of Sorrow, which details the lore of an in-game race called the Hive. This all happens outside of the game itself, and you have to be willing to first unlock the content and then leave the game to go read it on your online Bungie account, either through a mobile app or the official Bungie website.

While the Books of Sorrow go into a lot of depth regarding the history of the Hive, the narrative thread of interest to us regards a trio of sisters named Sathona, Xi Ro and Aurash.

Sathona, Xi Ro and Aurash all made a proverbial deal with the devil in Destiny, taking part in a symbiotic relationship with a parasitic species to gain massive amounts of power and even immortality for themselves. Where things get interesting is when the Books of Sorrow discuss the third sister, Aurash, accepting these powers.

The worm grants you power over your own flesh, Aurash. When you’ve taken the king morph, what will your adult name be?

Auryx. It means Long Thought. We approve.

Up until this point in Destiny lore, Aurash is refereed to using exclusively female pronouns. After taking this deal he begins to use male pronouns exclusively and the new name Auryx. The Taken King, Auryx, was designated female at birth. During his life took on a new name and began using male pronouns instead. Eventually, he switched from Auryx to the spelling Oryx.

He didn’t just gain power, he changed his gender. The Taken King is a Transgender Man, and this fact is never once touched on in the game itself.

Destiny sounds like the stupidest loving video game

quote:

On the other hand, the reason that he's not defined by his gender and that people have not made a big fuss about it is largely because nobody knows it's in the game. By including this as one footnote in a lengthy set of collectable lore outside of the game itself, they are able to on paper state that they made a huge move for visible, high profile transgender representation, without actually having to face most of the risks associated with doing so.

They get the praise without the risks, if it ever comes up at all.
We can’t praise this as a victory for Transgender representation

It's great that we have a AAA video game with a titular lead character who is transgender. It's great that it's never made a plot point relevant to their character growth, it's just a thing about the character that happens to exist. It's great that so many people out there have been exposed to a transgender character and didn't even realize it happened. It's great that he wasn't given characteristics that highlighted or hinted as his transgender status.

The Books of Sorrow in Destiny, at their conclusion, are revealed to have been written by Oryx himself, as an account of his existence and the way he perceived his life that he hoped would last beyond his potential, eventual death.

Reading a character’s own account of their life, and how they perceived their transition from female to male, is something that not enough media does and it gives a valuable insight into the character. Looking back on their life, it’s nothing more than a single line.

This is how I was before this moment. After this moment I was different. It’s such a beautifully simple account of gender transition, one personally accounted and not overly dramatized in regards to the role in played in their sense of self identity. It’s a subtle and impactful account of transition that is hidden away from almost every player.

It’s tragic that nobody knows Oryx is transgender. I hate that the first example of a transgender character in a titular role is hidden away so much that very few hardcore Destiny players know about it. It's diversity relegated to the depths of a convoluted and complex set of out of game data logs.
Hiding something that could have been such a big moment for the transgender community really does feel like a missed chance to do something great for those seeking increased representation within the medium. For now, even if it’s subtle, we can claim Oryx.

trannies rejoice! Move over caitlyn jenner now young transistors will be able to have a REAL role model in the form of a giant bug monster in a space game oh praise the lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
A girl beat you in Street Fighter

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

im gay

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Destiny loving sucks

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
I don't play videogames unless they have transgender and gay characters as heroes and protagonists. Also, all cis-men should be kill-able and are bad(which goes without saying). hth.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Video game follows social trends to make more money, news at 11.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i heard destiny was like a bad version of halo so i didn't play it or buy it or read anything about it and i feel comfortable in saying i think made the right decision

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
a big win for representation in games: a backstory no one will see for a character you will one day shoot in the head

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Desitny is decent but Metal Gear Online is really good. Im deadly with the night vision and binoculars

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Destiny: The Genderfluid King

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
who loving cares bitch

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nefarious posted:

who loving cares bitch

E1M1 posted:

a big win for representation in games: a backstory no one will see for a character you will one day shoot in the head

Boinks posted:

Video game follows social trends to make more money, news at 11.

Nooner posted:

Destiny loving sucks

All good points

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
the final boss changes form by trhowing a wig on and taking ssris

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Did you know that Ghostbusters has one of the first representations of an out trans character in popular media? It's subtle but it's there: the EPA inspector Walter Peck, played bravely by William Atherton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PlC72nt3Ww

If even Peter Venkman can understand that gender has nothing to do with your genitalia, then why can't we? Here's hoping we see more of this in the coming years!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I thought Nintendo had the first trans video game character?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

isn't that normal for trans ladies to become more titular over time

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

isn't that normal for trans ladies to become more titular over time

Only if they can afford it. :smith:

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
drat it Tim, when we said we wanted more women in the IT workplace this isn't what we meant

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
:mediocre:

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Breaking news, the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park are trans! Polygon describes it as "Fascinating"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
everytime I read titular I think of tits and its very confusing because its always used seriously

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I tried to read the section about the lore and blood shot from my nose I passed out. I don't even think I got to the lore itself, just reading about unlocking it almost killed me.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Prorat posted:

Breaking news, the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park are trans! Polygon describes it as "Fascinating"

I'm claiming the T rex

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
what percent of the population is transgender? 0.1%? thats how much representation I want to see about it. thanks.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
how does a video game character decide they want to be trans i feel liek we are forcing gender classes on them by deciding for them? :confused:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If they had made less of an effort they wouldn't have been singled out for criticism.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will bow to no King

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

what percent of the population is transgender? 0.1%? thats how much representation I want to see about it. thanks.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I guess that's the exact amount of time and information the game actually spends on the issue, but it's wrong!

They should make players personally go through a QTE section where you actually transition in order to get the best gun.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Samus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwoman

#gamergate

Samus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwomanSamus Aran is a transwoman

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
"Why wasn’t this discussed in the gaming press?" - The gaming press.
Polygon LOVES to think of themselves as the subversive underground of gaming media, but, for better or for worse, they're fairly influential. Its like they still haven't realized that yet.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
titular :smug:

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

BottledBodhisvata posted:

trannies rejoice! Move over caitlyn jenner now young transistors will be able to have a REAL role model in the form of a giant bug monster in a space game oh praise the lord

Already got one:

Two:

There are even transgender character in Dark Souls and Dragon Age. You can (you wont) look it up here!! :

https://transgamersociologist.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/a-brief-history-of-transgender-characters-in-video-games/

MageMage fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

I'm super gay

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The way to solve the problem of women in STEM is through the extensive use of surgery and pills.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

The way to solve the problem of women in STEM is through the extensive use of surgery and pills.

They just don't have the analytical brain for something like that, so men have to come to the rescue yet again. Story as old as humanity

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
titty character

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's all a bit arcane if you're unfamiliar with the game, but your character, Alchemedes Tonsorius, has been chosen by the Guardians of Elstar, a race of pan-temporal seers, to be the Vigilatus. Now to understand the Vigilatus, we first have to take a look back at the Galactic year 14960294.33.4.4, when Zonthus the Porboliate first established

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It is unneccessary to know the lore to serve the God Emperor. My ignorance is my strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005
Very brave. Space alien with bat wings and three eyes that yells incoherently and eventually gets shot to death

• Locked thread