Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

serious norman posted:

rear end loving 101.

What grade did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
D for deece.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
First-year Spanish. The book teaches things in a bizarre order and jumps right in like you're expected to already know a fair bit of the language even though there was no prerequisite for such and the instructor even asked if people had ever taken a Spanish class before. Also it does this really weird thing where it teaches you what to say in response to what someone else is saying, but it waits until later to tell you what the thing you're saying, or the thing you're responding to, actually loving means.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I had to take this one course in like philosophy as a GE but like for some reason it was only being offered in Pan African Studies dept and the professor was jsut this cool old guy who was hella high all the time but like the class made no sense at all, this was a serious question from the take home final that I saved

"Unless you put me in your will, William, I won't let you die; and unless Peter Piper picks his pickles, Turtle Tee will toot again; and unless you pay attention to all this, nobody will get a thing!"

also there was

Informal Logic is to Formal Logic as

A.)Birds are to bees
B.)Wind is to the trees
C.)Parking meters are to their fees
D.)Limbs are to their leaves
E.)Flowing water and an icy freeze

idk maybe this makes sense to some people but the whole class I was just like wtffffff

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Politics of Women's Health. The professor marked down my midterm paper - where we were instructed to pick a set of medical advertisements aimed at women and use them to discuss points X, Y, and Z - because I wrote it as a conventional academic paper and she expected a listicle. The assignment instructions didn't specifically say to write the paper as a listicle, and I pointed that out to the professor, but she didn't offer to change the grade or even let me rewrite it. If you want me to go against the academic standards I've been practicing since middle school, you should loving tell me so :argh:

Also my Non-Fiction Creative Writing professor had the bad habit of rubber-stamping your first draft, then taking points off the final draft for the problems that were also in the first draft. So annoying! But he was fun and engaging, and the class was pass-fail, so it was ultimately no big deal.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

dad gay. so what posted:

probably "PE01 bad back. care for your back" or "PE03 smokeless tobacco cessation" my back hurts all the time and i still havent stopped chewing. F-

PE01 is bad back care, for your back.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Enfield posted:

i went to the school of hard knocks

https://www.myedu.com/HCC-Hillsborough-Community-College/FFP-1506-Fire-Prvntn-Invstgtn/course/1477671/

Troutful
May 31, 2011

I made the mistake of taking a computer science course at a notorious hippie school. The professor was awesome, but there was always at least one barefoot dude in the tiny classroom putting his feet up on the chairs (and tables??), so it was hard to concentrate, sometimes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Troutful posted:

I made the mistake of taking a computer science course at a notorious hippie school. The professor was awesome, but there was always at least one barefoot dude in the tiny classroom putting his feet up on the chairs (and tables??), so it was hard to concentrate, sometimes.

at MIT he'd eat the goo between his toes

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Partial differential equations. Because in my economics & maths course where Top Men in economics can't even integrate correctly in their textbooks, what the gently caress am I doing not compartmentalizing every maths course above calculus II?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Accounting

Only class I had issues with

remigious posted:

For a serious answer, vampirism in film. It was a dumb waste of time that I only took to get an easy A.

off-topic but god drat that's one hell of an avatar

shinji got plowed lol

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

I took a science and technology history class which I thought would be pretty sweet. Turns out the prof was a hardcore feminist who legitimately did not know who Tesla was.

We had to write an essay on major scientific achievements and she gave us three options to write about that we're all related to women some way. My topic was how they developed new sutures that would heal fistulas so women who ripped their vaginas/bladders open during childbirth wouldn't leak pee constantly, for the rest of their life, anymore.

That was somehow the best topic in a 'science and technology' history class.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Wizgot posted:

What grade did you get?

B for Bottom

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I had the absolute worst professor for my Matlab course

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Real answer: Math as Metaphor, the teacher was a pretentious dick who wanted us all to lead the class ourselves but would get pissy and condescending when we didnt come up with the ideas he wanted us to. By Miderms we were all super fed up with his poo poo and busy with other stuff/exams so we hadnt done the reading, he asked if we had and we were all honest and just said no, instead of adapting and talking about something else he stormed out of the room in a huff 5 mins into class and we all got to leave. That was the best day of that class.

naem
May 29, 2011

"That one really tall grad student guy with beefy forearms and a full sleeve tattoo who usually wears a blacksmithing apron and big black hornrim glasses, whose whole job is to walk down the hallway silently and be intimidating and demonstrably better than the other art students, who you are pretty sure is loving the art history professor lady who looks like Monica bellucci, is forced to teach a survey art history course and is really really bad at it"

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
Some class on the American western frontier. I went to a college that, in addition with general requirements, also had these cultural classes you had to take. Actual class ended up being nothing about the American western frontier and was mainly talking points for the professor and students on climate change and conspiracy theories.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I enrolled in a Chinese history course and on the first day the prof gave us the reading list. It required hundreds of dollars in textbooks and about ~15 hours of reading a week outside class.

I dropped it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Buddhist Psychotherapy.
Class was less about how to counsel Buddhists or even Asian clients from Buddhist cultures in a psychiatric setting and more about converting college kids into Buddhists.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Topology was pretty bad. Only because the professor sucked. Same with cryptography.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Intercultural Communications. The professor was some neoliberal, scarf wearing, "let's all join hands and sing Kumbayah" sort. After that class I started to realize that racists might have some valid points...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Health class. I had already had the same material once in the 6th grade and once in high school, as per CA law. I'm pretty sure my college class was just an excuse for a little Asian dude who had a fetish of showing really bad STD infections and car wreck photos to college girls.

"Hey, who wants some anal warts?" *Giant overhead slide close-up of a butthole covered in warts*

naem
May 29, 2011

Intro to advanced formerly attractive blonde woman who married money and is used to always having her way in life based on her looks, and is now seeking a tenure track position, is cucking her elderly husband with male students ferociously, favoring those she sleeps with, who then has a nervous breakdown when her husband finds out and divorces her, but then saves her career by sleeping with male faculty as the crows feet etch ever deeper into her soul

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i had a 60 or so year old lady who taught anthropology who was really gross looking, hated white people and males (she was white) and was just like a pre-internet stereotype of the most annoying social justice warrior

oh it got even better she had a major stutter and if you asked her to repeat anything or any questions at all she would get furious that you interrupted her rant on the white race, it was actually a way to pay to have the worst blog in the world read to you

dropped it in like 3 weeks, can't believe i lasted that long

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Calculus (community college before I transferred) was pretty much a joke, the professor missed about half the classes, and on the final exam let me use maple on my laptop as my calculator (powerful math program that basically turned the final into a data entry task).

There were plenty of classes where I just showed up and played games or whatever or my laptop, but those classes were actually kinda great even though not actually useful.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Group Communications. Was an elective and since I was a newbie at college stuff I said "sure, this will be fun to work in groups!"

only non-A grade I have so far. Didn't help that the teacher was psychotic to the point where she timed your bathroom breaks

naem
May 29, 2011

"Art history professor lady who probably looked a little like Monica bellucci 5 years ago has a class just to invite select students who she likes to drink wine at her small house here in the Midwest, which has a fancy stainless steel kitchen and marble countertops and a fridge just for wine, and you realize she's looking for her next student sex victim and you're weirded out by it and you don't get invited to the next wine party thing and you realize you need to move the out of the Midwest when you graduate"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Im bad at math and it was a bad start to college when i enrolled in a college algebra speed course taught by a FOB chinese man who did not have a good grasp of english

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The History of Folk, about post-Civil War 19th century African-American history. Not because the subject is bad, it's a fascinating topic and I wish I'd learned about it, because the professor didn't show up to about 2/3 of the classes. She didn't notify us beforehand that she'd be absent, either, so we got to go to class and guess if she'd make an appearance.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
organic chemistry

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

had a video production class "taught" by a man who spent most class time responding inappropriately to people (e.g. laughing at someone having a death in the family.) he never really told me anything useful, but did once stand over me for several minutes telling me which fonts were good.

took an abnormal psych class where the professor just read from the book, pausing for us to take notes, unless someone interrupted to ask about a crazy person they saw on CSI. played a lot of r-type in that class.

i had at least three "old man paces and rants" classes in college and all but one were fantastic.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
my statistics professor was a hairy bearded man who liked to unbutton his shirt and grope his man boobs while lecturing in front of the class. The more deep has was in thought about a statistics concept, the harder he'd grope. He was very passionate about t-tests or chi square or whatever I guess.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

hemophilia posted:

Im bad at math and it was a bad start to college when i enrolled in a college algebra speed course taught by a FOB chinese man who did not have a good grasp of english

When you have a class that deals with any type of mathematics and is taught by an asian, you know you are hosed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
statistics

the teacher gave an essay assignment (in a loving math class) that was 40% of the grade and gave me a 0 on it because she's a psychopathic bitch who was trying to get at my dad through me. i still got a 60% in her lovely class lol

i hope she gets bisected in a car crash

horizontally so she gets to feel what it's like to bleed out ofc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Probably a "Science in the Media" course that was a rare case where everyone was horrible.

The Professor just loaded the class down with hundreds of pages of reading on day one which did not fly with the students, so they bitched until the class devolved into shouting matches for half a month. Then the administration got involved and told the Professor to take it like a bitch because the kids were there to pay tuition money, not learn or whatever, and we spent the rest of the semester going over lovely handouts the guy made while he seethed about today's "lazy" youths. I didn't learn a single loving thing other than "when science is in the media, you can trust it's almost always inaccurate."

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Wizgot posted:

When you have a class that deals with any type of mathematics and is taught by an asian, you know you are hosed.

no, some of the asian professors are okay (mostly those over about the age of fifty). you know you're hosed if it's taught by a russian though.

i took a senior level course in statistics (i think it was innocuously titled "introduction to statistics") to just grab some credits towards my degree and lol

my professor was a chinese graduate student at the university. his explanation of the law of large numbers devolved into a defense of confucian filial piety. no idea what that was about.

don't really remember too much about that course except my professor and also gently caress the gamma function.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

I go to a Catholic University in Spain run by Opus Dei so most of the classes I take are very right-wing religious view orientated. I took a Sociology class where the professor, a woman, spent the whole time making GBS threads on the US and saying how bad it was a saying how many abortions take place there and the divorce rate blah blah blah. Basically it was a class where we analyzed why society was failing and, of course, the reason was because of the elimination of Christian values.

I also had another class, can't remember the name, but every week we had to turn in an essay based on a topic given by the prof. The night before I went out, got super drunk, and then realized I had to write a loving essay. I got a 90 on it. Pretty much I was just super blunt and honest and told the guy I thought the topic was a bunch of poo poo.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Worst class was an ethics in business class in 2009 where the professor would gush daily about how saintly Apple and Steve Jobs were and how Bill Gates was the devil incarnate. I always kind of wondered if it was some sort of long-con to get someone to point out Apple's legacy of ethical failures and that's secretly how you would pass, but no one did and everyone got an easy A.

Best class was studies in Asian cinema, where we got to watch a bunch of awesome samurai and John Woo flicks for elective credit. That ruled

That Robot posted:

Accounting

Only class I had issues with

This just reminded me that I had to take like 3 accounting classes for my major ten years ago, and I was so terrible at it that I actually forgot I took those classes at all until just now

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Biochem 2, it was taught by a scary Russian dude that constantly hinted that he was kgb and he would secretly kill the lowest scoring student. We all studied really hard for his class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Probably some mindless Anthropology - Sociology class I had to take as a general requirement my sophomore year. It was such generic hippie crap that I can't even remember what it was. It's a shame too, I went to a small liberal arts college and had to take a bunch of classes outside of my STEM major that were all pretty good for the most part (like sports psych, jazz, and Roman military history). That one was just a complete dud though, also the lovely professor of that class ended up getting tenure a year later over the awesome Physics professor I had that same year :argh:

• Locked thread