Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I was planning on going to School and was looking for part time work. I was wondering how Uber was for part time work. Any goons Uber drivers or use Uber a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
From how I understand it it's not much different from being self-employed if you've ever done that. I've heard that how good it is really depends on where you live; for most of the country apparently it's at or barely above minimum wage so like $7.50 an hour or so, the few people making $30+ are in New York or some poo poo exclusively. Depending on how much gas you need that might end up in the red if you make $7.50/hr, but I'm sure someone around here has actually driven before and can fill in the details.

I've never looked too far into it but I've heard varying info that you might need a car made within the last 5 model years to qualify depending on where you do it? I don't know for sure though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718047&pagenumber=1

There's a recent A/T thread. It links to a subreddit where drivers gripe about how they make peanuts and people destroy their cars.

Sounds like a good time

edit: I'll add too this link
https://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/comments/3ol0ux/this_is_a_salty_group_does_driving_suck_that_much/

and the thought that the only jobs I hear advertised on the radio are for call centers and for Uber drivers, so it is probably a call center tier quality job

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 14, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm currently writing a paper about Uber, "independent contractors" and employee abuses. Deliver pizzas instead; you'll earn the same hourly wage without the fear of bankruptcy when you're involved in an accident with a family in your car.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Seems like a horrible idea to me. But it'd be cool to be able to tell your grandchildren you were a taxi driver, back in the day when humans still drove cars and some people's sole job was to drive. They'll be amazed.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Thank you for the input, I will look into other jobs.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Seems like a horrible idea to me. But it'd be cool to be able to tell your grandchildren you were a taxi driver, back in the day when humans still drove cars and some people's sole job was to drive. They'll be amazed.

This is awesome.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Aliquid posted:

I'm currently writing a paper about Uber, "independent contractors" and employee abuses. Deliver pizzas instead; you'll earn the same hourly wage without the fear of bankruptcy when you're involved in an accident with a family in your car.

Plus if you're not a wuss, you can pick up a very lucrative weed business on the side.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Aliquid posted:

While this may be the case...you are just as likely to find insurance delivering pizzas as you are being an Uber driver. Insurance companies HATE using your own car for work driving.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

OssiansFolly posted:

While this may be the case...you are just as likely to find insurance delivering pizzas as you are being an Uber driver. Insurance companies HATE using your own car for work driving.

It's different with Uber. Because they cover you when you have a passenger. You're not covered when you're trolling for customers. Insurance company hate gypsy cabs more than delivery.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I work with a guy (a Harvard MBA, even!) who used to drive for Uber. He stopped because the only time you make any real money is on the weekend bar scene, and he'd rather be a weekend bar consumer. This was also several rate drops ago.

He noticed that last time he renewed his insurance, there was a specific question asking if he was using his car for a "ride sharing" service.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Uber is starting to run television ads, not for the service but to recruit drivers. It feels about like a university of phoenix ad, you see it and just know its a bad idea.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Down in El Paso, a buddy of mine grabbed an Uber driver that was trying to get him to cross the border to Juarez, Mexico. He kept telling the guy "no, I want to go to *this address in the USA* and the guy was like "okay okay... you have passport with you?" He ended up calling the cops on the dude.

So I guess Uber is hiring cartel members trying to capture americans. Good to know.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MurderBot posted:

Down in El Paso, a buddy of mine grabbed an Uber driver that was trying to get him to cross the border to Juarez, Mexico. He kept telling the guy "no, I want to go to *this address in the USA* and the guy was like "okay okay... you have passport with you?" He ended up calling the cops on the dude.

So I guess Uber is hiring cartel members trying to capture americans. Good to know.

Yeah, I'm going to need a little more detail on this.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Uziduke posted:

Thank you for the input, I will look into other jobs.

You have chosen wisely.

(Stay away from Vector Marketing.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

greasyhands posted:

Uber is starting to run television ads, not for the service but to recruit drivers. It feels about like a university of phoenix ad, you see it and just know its a bad idea.
They've done the same with radio ads, which just makes it sound even worse. Has a company ever taken out "get a job with us!" ads that didn't lead to something sketchy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greasyhands posted:

Yeah if you have to advertise your job openings on TV then something is up.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah if you have to advertise your job openings on TV then something is up.

Why is that? The more drivers the better the service and more money they make.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Omits-Bagels posted:

Yeah but if driving was a great deal for divers then people would just go straight to uber already without the need for them to advertise on TV. Very few buisnesses need exmployees that badly that they need to hire on TV...those that do you have to wonder what makes them different then the other thousands of companies out there that find employees just fine without putting out radio and TV ads. The answer is generally they don't pay very much, are an extremely lovely place to work for or both.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

Yeah, I'm going to need a little more detail on this.

That's I guess the majority of it. He ended up calling Uber to get a ride back from the bar, and when he said he wanted to go to *this address* the dude was like "hey if you want I can take you to Juarez!" My buddy said "No... I want to go to my house. So, take me there." The driver said "okay, I'll take you there.. but you have your passport on you?"

At that point my buddy got out of the car, the dude started getting upset and they started arguing, the driver said for him to call the cops, so he did.

Cops came, and he gave em the story, the cops were kinda like "uh that's weird" and ran the dude through the system, came up with no marks but they said it was fishy, so they gave my buddy a ride home.

I'm inclined to believe him since I saw a cop car pull up and drop him off.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ha, something like that almost happened to me near Tijuana in the 90s, apparently cabbies used to convince well heeled looking tourists to come over to Tijuana for drugs/fun/whatever they could pitch and then they'd drive them to their hood where their friends would mug them. Seems slightly less smart with an Uber logfile, but I'm guessing their ability to get anyone prosecuted in Mexico is near zero even in 2015.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

They've done the same with radio ads, which just makes it sound even worse. Has a company ever taken out "get a job with us!" ads that didn't lead to something sketchy?

It isn't uncommon for my city's transit service to take out ads saying they are hiring people, occasionally a local utility if they have a big project coming up. Stations themselves will advertise for non-air roles on the station because it is essentially free, so why not?

And for the OP, become a security guard. If you get lucky, you get posted somewhere you won't have much to do, which means a lot of time to work on homework or at least do course readings. Basically you just want to avoid stores. Office buildings, apartments, factories, all gold.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

One of my favorite jobs in college was security guard. We'd often get contracts to just sit in a car outside some rich person's property and make sure nobody approached the gate/driveway/whatever. It was great for getting coursework done at night.

Also rich people are loving weird. One time I recall a Lexus SUV rolling out of one of these driveways and the owner stopped to chat with me a bit and see how it was going. We had a quick chat and then I said hello how are you doing to the rich person's kid in the passenger seat who refused to acknowledge me or even look in my general direction when I said hi, which I thought was strange. The rich mom in the driver's seat then explained "Oh don't do that please, we're trying to teach our kids not speak to the help" and drove off.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

TheGreySpectre posted:

Yeah but if driving was a great deal for divers then people would just go straight to uber already without the need for them to advertise on TV. Very few buisnesses need exmployees that badly that they need to hire on TV...those that do you have to wonder what makes them different then the other thousands of companies out there that find employees just fine without putting out radio and TV ads. The answer is generally they don't pay very much, are an extremely lovely place to work for or both.

The military advertises that that isn't always a bad deal.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Minimum wage is surprising. They must not give the driver a very large proportion of the cash or you spend a lot of time looking for fares. I regularly use Uber and a trip downtown is $12 there and usually $20 back on account of surge pricing. The trip never takes more than 10 minutes either way. This is about half the cost of a regular taxi service.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

Because the only jobs that constantly want new employees that much are terrible ones with high turnover rates, terrible ones that can afford infinity employees because they are lovely enough to employees that pay is tied to number of employees or amount of money earned for the company (such as commissioned sales or MLM marketing), and terrible jobs that aren't able to attract enough workers in the first place and are therefore perpetually understaffed.

Uber falls mostly into the second category, though with a fair dose of the first (driver turnover is apparently quite high). The more drivers there are, the better Uber's service looks and the more money Uber makes...but more drivers means each individual driver makes less and gets fewer fares.

ManDingo posted:

Minimum wage is surprising. They must not give the driver a very large proportion of the cash or you spend a lot of time looking for fares. I regularly use Uber and a trip downtown is $12 there and usually $20 back on account of surge pricing. The trip never takes more than 10 minutes either way. This is about half the cost of a regular taxi service.

Although it varies by region, conditions, destination, how long Uber has operated in the area, and other things, the driver probably sees about $9 out of the $12 you paid, before costs such as gas, insurance, and cleaning. However, Uber pay typically declines over time - once Uber has enough drivers in a region, they often cut fares, and surge pricing will become rarer as well.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Because the only jobs that constantly want new employees that much are terrible ones with high turnover rates, terrible ones that can afford infinity employees because they are lovely enough to employees that pay is tied to number of employees or amount of money earned for the company (such as commissioned sales or MLM marketing), and terrible jobs that aren't able to attract enough workers in the first place and are therefore perpetually understaffed.

Or just, you know, companies that are growing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Omits-Bagels posted:

Already answered well but in a nutshell the only other companies I've ever seen advertising for jobs in such an eager manner are MLM schemes. Not saying that is what Uber is obviously just saying it seems odd.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Or just, you know, companies that are growing.

In this economy you don't need to look very hard to find tons of job applicants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah you can use a free job listing site to get tons of applicants and save money on what you spend on TV and radio ads if you have decent jobs to fill

• Locked thread