Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
countzio
Jan 30, 2014

What is this?

Until Dawn is a PS4 exclusive game made by Supermassive Games (best known for being one of the companies outsourced for developing Little Big Planet DLC and making the HD port of Killzone.) It's basically one of those “interactive movie”games Quantic Dream likes to make, except this one is good and mostly makes sense.

What's it about?

A bunch of dumb kids from LA lost some friends during a party up in the Canadian Rockies. One year later, they go back to party again except this time, there's a serial killer lurking about and other stuff.

It's a horror movie put into a game, through and through. Aside from the usual kind of mechanics you see in this sort of game (picking up items, looking at them, QTEs etc), there's a Butterfly Effect game mechanic, which is a fancy way of making your choices matter.

But the biggest thing that all of the characters can die in really neat horror movie-style way and the game will just move on without them.

It also has Peter Stormare, which was the biggest reason I bought the game.

How's this LP being done?

Post-audio commentary because that's what the hip young SA dorks like these days. Joining me on this thing is Skippy Granola and Xumtosis.

Also, this game's save system works differently than most games: If you start a new game, everything gets wiped. There IS an episode select feature but it's only unlocked after you beat the game.

So there will be at least two playthoughs: The first run will be for the best ending. The second will be the worst ending. If there's enough worthwhile content missed in both of those, I'll try to whip up something to fix that.

PLUS I'm uploading a version of each video where it's just the game audio. Because I figured some people don't want to hear a bunch of nerds talk over everything like idiots. I know I don't sometimes.

The only rule right now is don't spoil anything. Not even that "Oh, I bet you guys will love what happens to Sam next" stuff

Episode List

Episode 1: “Disaster At Makeout Peak” Commentary/No Commentary
Episode 2: "And then they fight, like in nature" Commentary/No commentary
Episode 3: "Goddammit Xumtosis" Commentary / No Commentary
Episode 4: "Hustle, Loyalty, Booty" Commentary / No commentary

countzio fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Reserved.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Teens being horrible to each other: the video game.

But this game goes places. Strange, wonderful, and sometimes gory places. Especially if you miss a QTE.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I'm only in it to see how far the ShatMemz parallels go.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Cast of douchebags, check.
Peter Stormare looking highly disturbing, check.
"Your choices matter" (but not so far), check.
Skippy evoking the horrific spectre of cat-suicide, check.

So far, so good!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I was hoping someone would LP this, it seems interesting but I don't want to pay 60$ for what is essentially an interactive movie. Looking forward to the rest.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
Pretty sure that Skippy's pronunciation was correct, perhaps with a bit more of an accent to it. edit: That's the Stormare one, not Hayden Panteneprov

Innovacious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 14, 2015

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
I'd be careful if you plan to use the episode system for the second run by the way, it's buggy as hell and will sometimes just randomly change what happened.

I suspect it forgets the changes you made in a previous episode and maybe reverts to the original save.. but, to be honest, I'm not sure what it does. I went from a perfect run at the end of chapter 8, to a couple of characters suddenly being dead, ruining a best run

Starting from a new game again presumably would stop that happening

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can't 'jump around' episodes when you replay the game.

For example, you can pick episode 3, and replay the game from that point. But you can't pick episode 3, complete it, then jump to episode 5 and expect your episode 3 changes to carry over. It'll revert back to whatever your original runthrough was.

Picking an episode is really saying "start a new game, but start it from this point, with all previous choices intact".

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
Hannah was fool. She should have expect betrayal from Mike. He is, after all, a HYDRA Agent.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ah yes, Unlikeable Teenager Simulator 2015. This is a pretty good game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Blackwood Pines: the most polite murder spot this side of the border!

Demicol posted:

I was hoping someone would LP this, it seems interesting but I don't want to pay 60$ for what is essentially an interactive movie. Looking forward to the rest.

Nah, you do. You really do want to buy this and play it for yourself.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

FluffySquirrel posted:

I'd be careful if you plan to use the episode system for the second run by the way, it's buggy as hell and will sometimes just randomly change what happened.

I suspect it forgets the changes you made in a previous episode and maybe reverts to the original save.. but, to be honest, I'm not sure what it does. I went from a perfect run at the end of chapter 8, to a couple of characters suddenly being dead, ruining a best run

Starting from a new game again presumably would stop that happening

bewilderment posted:

For example, you can pick episode 3, and replay the game from that point. But you can't pick episode 3, complete it, then jump to episode 5 and expect your episode 3 changes to carry over. It'll revert back to whatever your original runthrough was.

Picking an episode is really saying "start a new game, but start it from this point, with all previous choices intact".

Oh yeah, I know all about how the chapter select works since I tried doing it when I first beat the game to fix a choice I made. It's not going to be an issue since the second playthough is going to be a massive fuckup festival, it'd be best to just start fresh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I heard about this game but Friday The 13th-style slasher horror isn't usually my bag. Interested to see what happens, though.

I'm a little sad the "get all the douchebag teenagers murdered" run is gonna be second, though. They have it coming after that prologue.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Oh no, I was aware of that, totally not what happened. I was just going through from the start again, just doing it chapter by chapter in order. Then I missed a QTE and a character died, ruining the perfect run. So I restarted that same chapter again. Bam, 2 chapters progress erased completely.. a few people were having similar issues at the time, it just seems to get confused sometimes

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Uh hi. You guys probably want an update.

The commentary for Chapter 1's going to be recorded this weekend. Maybe earlier but don't count on that.

Also, the commentary for the first video wasn't our first take because there was a mistake along the way. I kept the audio commentary for it though if you are into that. It also has some irreverent conversations about the deep lore of Smurfs before we played the video. I forgot how we went down that road.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Ah yes, Unlikeable Teenager Simulator 2015. This is a pretty good game.

They grow on you as things progress. I hated them all at first too.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Stormare has three syllables. But you both pronounce it quite wrong. In Swedish almost all words put the emphasis on the first syllable so it's more like "Storr- marreh", if that makes sense.

Also, drat, he's getting old. He'll probably always be the age he was when playing "Hamilton" since that was who I first saw him as.

Oh, and the game looks interesting too!

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 20, 2015

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

I hope you guys like updates.

Episode 2: "And then they fight, like in nature"": Commentary/No commentary

B-Roll:

The next episode might take a little longer since there will be more editing involved before it's ready for commentary. But later in the week, I'll put up a character list with pictures, links to actor imdb pages and notes from the companion app they made.

Speaking of which, that app doesn't have a lot of neat/useful things outside of those notes, and a personality test but it did have a little time line of the region. Which is this:

quote:

A History of Blackwood Pines

1400s until the 1850s: First Nation tribes (also known as Native Americans) were present on Mount Madahee from the 1400s until the 1850s, when European explores and mining concerns arrived in the area, eager to make their fortune.

1907: Jefferson Bragg struck it lucky in 1907, finding abundant supplies of iron and radium beneath the surface of the mountain. Setting up a mining company, it wasn't long before the money began to pile up.

1922: In 1922, Bragg capitalized on the discover of hot springs, creating a luxurious Sanatorium resort that became a magnet for the bright young things of the 1920s. Champagne glasses clinked, good health was toasted.

1950: The depression hit, the war years came...by the 1950s, money was tight; the parties of the 20s a dim memory. With the film stars staying away, the Sanatorium was forced to pursue a less prestigious clientele. In 1955, Blackwood's entire operated closed, and the mountain lay without a tenant for many years.

1997: In 1997, Hollywood movie mogul Bob Washington was presented with the opportunity to buy up an entire mountain...how could he refuse? Some aspects of the mountain were restored to working order, and a brand new Ski Lodge was built, creating a wonderful getaway for Washington and his young family.

2014: Hannah and Beth Washington disappeared in February 2014. The police searched high and wide, but despite their best efforts, the sisters are still missing, presumed dead.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
"Dr. Hill, why did you get me to come here at night? And why do our sessions only last like ten minutes? How much am I paying you? Is it more than zero?"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

frozentreasure posted:

"Dr. Hill, why did you get me to come here at night? And why do our sessions only last like ten minutes? How much am I paying you? Is it more than zero?"

"Look at this creepy clown does it creep you out our time is up THIS WILL AFFECT YOUR MEMORIES"

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well if it is Canada in the winter it could just be afternoon. I live in the south of Sweden and it gets dark around 15.30 here in winter.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
If it's not too much trouble and you aren't running for your life at the time, I'd like to request that you pull up the menu and check whenever a butterfly change happens, just so the people who've never played might have an idea what exactly was just affected. Some of them look pretty obvious, like "Hey Sam didn't get caught looking in someone's bag", but the whole "Nature remains in balance" is hilariously vague and allows for hilarious wild guessing about what it did.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

If it's not too much trouble and you aren't running for your life at the time, I'd like to request that you pull up the menu and check whenever a butterfly change happens, just so the people who've never played might have an idea what exactly was just affected. Some of them look pretty obvious, like "Hey Sam didn't get caught looking in someone's bag", but the whole "Nature remains in balance" is hilariously vague and allows for hilarious wild guessing about what it did.

Yeah, sure. That's fair. Some of it got updated already so I'll make sure to pause it and show what changed at the start of the next video.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

frozentreasure posted:

[Cycling of facial expressions intensifies]

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Those Stormare faces. :psyduck:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Any news on the next update?

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

GyverMac posted:

Any news on the next update?

I'll be recording tonight, see if I can wrangle Skips and Xum the day after or the weekend (what with the Thanksgiving and all) and we'll go from there. Sorry for the lack of updates but a bunch of stuff happened including midterms and having to do a clean install on Windows on the computer I do most of the editing on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Great game so far, dudes!

I'm always positive to giving gainful employment to character actors, and these Peter Stormare pieces are pretty great. The various "teenagers" are just supposed to be cannon fodder for the serial killer, right? So Dr Hill is our stable point, jowls and all.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is actually p cool so far

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This died kinda abruptly.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Uh hi, it's been a while but I got you guys this update filled with awkward/rusty commentary and inside jokes.

Episode 3: "Goddammit Xumtosis": Commentary / No Commentary

(The video without us talking is still processing as of this post.)

Mistakes were made, mostly of being lazy and playing Yakuza 5 even after having to fix computer problems twice. But this weekend, I plan to record the next chapter and if I'm lucky, I can get the audio done on Sunday.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mistah Stormare - he dead.

e: Well I'll be dead and rained on, look at that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That video is the most Canadian thing ever, thanks LP dads

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
It has become a bit of an obsession for me to listen for the faint traces of a Swedish accent in Stormare's voice. It is more distinct in this than in most of his work, probably because he isn't trying to hide it very much.
However, you guys for some reason seem to think he has a Russian accent instead of a Swedish one. :smuggo:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

countzio posted:

Uh hi, it's been a while but I got you guys this update filled with awkward/rusty commentary and inside jokes.

Episode 3: "Goddammit Xumtosis": Commentary / No Commentary

(The video without us talking is still processing as of this post.)

Mistakes were made, mostly of being lazy and playing Yakuza 5 even after having to fix computer problems twice. But this weekend, I plan to record the next chapter and if I'm lucky, I can get the audio done on Sunday.
I didn't expect that to work

Thanks for picking this back up, the only alternatives were lovely celebrity YouTube LPers

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

This died kinda abruptly.

It was only playing dead! it was just a prank, bro!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

You know that part in all the Friday the 13th movies where they hit Jason with a truck and they're like "Is he dead?" Then someone goes over to pull off his mask and then BAM

Machete in the eye

This thread... is that truck.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I didn't expect that to work

Thanks for picking this back up, the only alternatives were lovely celebrity YouTube LPers

My sentiments exactly.

Also oh my loving god would someone turn on some lights already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

malkav11 posted:

My sentiments exactly.

Yeah, pretty much the same here.

• Locked thread