Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

the suffering and death of Jesus.
"meditations on the Passion of Christ"
synonyms: crucifixion, pain, suffering, agony, martyrdom; raremartyrization
"the Passion of Christ"
TIL

I thought the movie just had a stupid name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

TIL

I thought the movie just had a stupid name.

The name is quirky, it's fun....

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

The name is quirky, it's fun....

Just noticed your avatar. drat, I loved Digitiser.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rondette posted:

Just noticed your avatar. drat, I loved Digitiser.

http://www.digitiser2000.com/

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Khablam posted:

You're reading something I never said, because I never said it was impossible, just that his hand-wavy suggestion there would just "be" an "app" that controlled home heating independent of any other hardware was bullshit, and it is.
He was never asking directly for £250k to design and create home automation systems, it was just buzzworded into his pitch because he had literally heard the concept the day before.

That might have been what you meant, but it is most definitely not what you said, which was seemingly independent of being the manufacturer of any part of that system. My point being that much of this tech is available off the shelf already and any half competent plumber could fit it into almost any modern heating system with absolutely no drama.

I didn't read into it that they were planning on manufacturing this poo poo, but it wouldn't be an entirely stupid idea to attempt to partner with a manufacturer, get a branded application in return, and push it as part of your business. Actually, the more I think about it, it could be a very clever way to really use Sugars connections - despite the hate /mockery he gets on here (Not entirely unjustified), he is still in the technology business and must carry some reasonable connections and influence.

You're right about the "only heard about it the day before" stuff, of course - but this whole process forces them into that Catch 22. If they doggedly stick to their concept in the face of criticism then they get hauled over for not adapting, but if they adapt when they see a better direction then they get done for not being passionate enough about the original concept!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OK, well I now see the difference you're drawing up. I wouldn't have considered what amounts to upselling being something that needed an investment (like, as you say, he can be doing that right now) and still can't work out what Sugar thinks he's getting, other than the best(?) of a very bad bunch.
Regardless of the existence of the technology, Joe's pitch was to have their own solution. Or he really meant "work with various suppliers, amalgamate their existing automation systems via APIs they may or may not already have and create an app that centralises this and makes the one-stop ecosystem unique to our installations" which he definitely wasn't directly pitching but was waving around.

Come to think of it, he seemed largely concerned with maintenance and not installations anyway.

It was all very pie in the sky and dumb.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thinking about it, both Garry and Joe randomly started talking about an "app" to spice up their really dull ideas.
I wonder if they were goaded into making their ideas more complicated?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Khablam posted:

Thinking about it, both Garry and Joe randomly started talking about an "app" to spice up their really dull ideas.
I wonder if they were goaded into making their ideas more complicated?

Garrys idea was always focused on the outside element, It was his USP.

And Joes change was because his initial idea was seen as not working and he was asked to adapt it. As I said I dont think he was inventing the tech, just driving the installation of it. Anyway - look at how poo poo his website is http://www.impragas.co.uk/

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Was it last year or the year before when someone got totally shutdown because they pointed out the 250k was not enough and they would be going for extra funding? "I'm not going cap in hand to a bloody bank!" But I suppose he had to keep an air of suspense this year, so had to listen to the venture capitalist arguments.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I was assuming Sugar would keep his 50% and anything going to VCs would come from Vana's share.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Big Taff Man posted:

Garrys idea was always focused on the outside element, It was his USP.

And Joes change was because his initial idea was seen as not working and he was asked to adapt it. As I said I dont think he was inventing the tech, just driving the installation of it. Anyway - look at how poo poo his website is http://www.impragas.co.uk/

On the "About Us" page literally the first thing it says is

quote:

Impra-Gas has been set up to provide a gas service for a safer future, to promote the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

quote:

Safety Message
CARBON MONOXIDE CAN BE FATAL THIS IS A RESULT OF POORLY MAINTAINED APPLIANCES DO NOT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE GET YOUR APPLIANCE SERVICED TODAY!!!

Yeah these lovely scare/care tactics were all the rage in emails sent in 2002. To his/their credit though, you can't find a bad word said about the company, they do seem to offer good service. However, as anyone near the industry knows, as soon as you franchise and all your employees are low-wage fresh from NVQ drones, that changes fast.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Khablam posted:

Yeah these lovely scare/care tactics were all the rage in emails sent in 2002. To his/their credit though, you can't find a bad word said about the company, they do seem to offer good service. However, as anyone near the industry knows, as soon as you franchise and all your employees are low-wage fresh from NVQ drones, that changes fast.

Yep, and it's incredibly hard to win either - pay decent hourly wages and some will invent work, or simply take ages to do simple jobs. Pay a decent salary and you'll get corners cut so that the same people can be in the pub for 3pm. Not impossible, though, just hard to do if rapid expansion is your end game.

Must admit, though, I was surprised that he didn't push the trust issue more, because imho it's the biggest issue with all the trades.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I didn't realize this show was back on and am only up to episode 7, but I felt I needed to share this with you, to prove that sometimes, people who deserve to be on The Apprentice get jobs in real life.

And that's how you get ads like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72GUu9V0aw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Apprentice is back on?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Rarity posted:

The Apprentice is back on?

I think the American apprentice might be but its not in the UK

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I meant I didn't realize season 11 aired in the UK.

I have no idea if the American one is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The 2016 season starts Thursday.

New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793193

• Locked thread