Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

drive invented dubstep

Your mom invented dubstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Electronic music is bad and it gets worse as time goes on.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Pawn 17 posted:

Your mom invented dubstep.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
wow lots of opinions in this thread.

LargeHadron posted:

Schoenberg....contemporary....................?

lol yeah, real contemporary composers write post-modern works. Joan Tower does great things with tonality and many are still huge fans of Eric Whitacre though I'm not cus he hasnt been innovating since the 70s

theres also a lot of mostly unknowns out there right now, though most of it is quite derivative or too experimental

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like Hector Berlioz

what's your favorite piece by him and why?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

owl milk posted:

lol yeah, real contemporary composers write post-modern works. Joan Tower does great things with tonality and many are still huge fans of Eric Whitacre though I'm not cus he hasnt been innovating since the 70s

theres also a lot of mostly unknowns out there right now, though most of it is quite derivative or too experimental

I am happy that someone in this thread knows a bit about newer music.

However, you should learn more before speaking so assertively about it.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I admit I haven't taken a contemporary music history course yet, just speaking about what I've had personal experience playing and singing so please enlighten me on what more I have to learn

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why do people like music?

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex

Hobohemian posted:

The music you listen to is just godawful terrible crap with no redeeming qualities.

However, the music I listen to is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

owl milk posted:

I admit I haven't taken a contemporary music history course yet, just speaking about what I've had personal experience playing and singing so please enlighten me on what more I have to learn

I apologize if I came off as abrasive, and I'm not sure if you're asking sincerely, but I'll do my best to answer. If you're able to take courses on the subject, definitely do so but with an understanding that you'll likely learn breadth without depth. This approach makes it very easy to fall into the trap of forming opinions based on generalizations, or "representative works", and very often miss a lot of the nuance of the style or composer being taught. So, yeah take courses in order to get direction for your own self-study.

Don't be afraid of the ugly or gritty - I understand that Tower and Whitacre both offer very nice-sounding music, but I think you'll find much more challenging and rewarding music out there if you dig past what some might consider mainstream. It's hard to talk about without sounding like a douche, and I'm open to the possibility that I simply don't know enough about these two particular composers in order to hold a well-informed opinion, but I (and many others) think of Tower and Whitacre (especially Whitacre) as the McDonald's of contemporary classical music. Well, maybe not McDonald's - that might fit better with John Williams and some other film composers - but I think you get what I'm trying to say. There's some really great poo poo out there, and yes a lot of it is lesser-known, but I don't think that's because it's in some way worse or, as you said, too experimental.

I made a thread awhile back and got lazy and forgot to update it, and then it went into archives and now I can't update it. It'll give you a good introduction to spectral music, if you are interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3719448. That's just one of many contemporary trends in music. If this piques your interest at all, I'm happy to either speak more about it, or to direct you toward other styles that you might enjoy.

• Locked thread