Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

This game is amazing.

That last video was amazing.

The fact that you guys are this proficient is amaaaaazing! Thanks for the entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are you ready for the hardest bomb in the game? Are WE ready for the hardest bomb in the game? Is ANYONE ready? Put on your action-hero sunglasses, pump a round out of your police shotgun for no reason and join us as we

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
You really can't ask for more than that finish. These last bombs were bonkers!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This game may not go out of its way to set those up, but :sbahj: if it's not immensely satisfying when you pull them off.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That was amazing!

On to see what counts as "exotic" I guess...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I noticed a couple of things you could have done that would have made the second attempt go smoother.

For Morse code, you waste a lot of time waiting for the long pause. It would be faster to just start reading, then mention the long pause as it comes up.

For passwords, the defuser can often solve this by themselves. So while you're doing something manual-heavy like Simon Says or simple wires, you can fiddle with the password.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Man, this has been such a tense LP. I don't have anyone I could ever convince anyone to play it with me, but man even just watching it was a great ride.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This has been a real ride, guys. I have way too much emotional investment in your little videos. You are doing / have done great work! :allears:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Holy poo poo that finisher. Nice work!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

pumpinglemma posted:

I noticed a couple of things you could have done that would have made the second attempt go smoother.

For Morse code, you waste a lot of time waiting for the long pause. It would be faster to just start reading, then mention the long pause as it comes up.

For passwords, the defuser can often solve this by themselves. So while you're doing something manual-heavy like Simon Says or simple wires, you can fiddle with the password.

That and they always wait for instructions on Simon Says even though it's completely autopilot once you know which colors mean which.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That and they always wait for instructions on Simon Says even though it's completely autopilot once you know which colors mean which.

I believe you can represent the Simon Says transformation as a combination of a rotation (0°/90°/180°/270°) and an optional mirroring. The question is whether that'd require too much thought on the part of the defuser and potentially lead to explosions.

I guess the Blinkenlights bombs will give them a chance to optimize their strategy though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Keep Talking And Nobody Expodes: A thorough knowledge of knobs is great.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I believe you can represent the Simon Says transformation as a combination of a rotation (0°/90°/180°/270°) and an optional mirroring. The question is whether that'd require too much thought on the part of the defuser and potentially lead to explosions.

I guess the Blinkenlights bombs will give them a chance to optimize their strategy though.

It seems a bit weird, if Blinkenlights really is all simon-says, then as long as you keep no strikes there's bound to be repeats in the modules, meaning they'd be solved with exactly the same mapping.

There's probably morse code modules thrown in there too. Or maybe it's all morse code :gonk:

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

gnome7 posted:

I dunno, this one is really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ADyUP04OO4&t=16s

For similar reasons

EDIT: I just noticed SA's formatting removed the timestamp link from that, go to 17 minutes in to start that good bomb.

"The Letters 'U R'"

*clicks "You Are"*

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Who's On First looks like it was designed with the intention of causing more grief than any other module, but Memory is the breakout hit in that department. It's hard not to cringe when you hear "press the button with the same LABEL as... no wait, POSITION... that one was, uh..."

It's the explosion of a 1-strike bomb taking you off guard that does that, I think. From that point onward, you brace yourself every time a problem module rolls around.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

For similar reasons

EDIT: I just noticed SA's formatting removed the timestamp link from that, go to 17 minutes in to start that good bomb.

No it didn't, it just interpreted as seconds so it started at the 16 second mark. Here's it with the 17 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ADyUP04OO4&t=1020s

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's fine to say from the armchair, but in the middle of a bomb I'm more than liable to forget even simple details - unless we're super crunched, or I had a lot more learning and muscle memory with SS, autopilot stays off.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ramengank posted:

It seems a bit weird, if Blinkenlights really is all simon-says, then as long as you keep no strikes there's bound to be repeats in the modules, meaning they'd be solved with exactly the same mapping.

There's probably morse code modules thrown in there too. Or maybe it's all morse code :gonk:

I'd guess the first one is all simon says and the second one is all morse code.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I think it's been mentioned in the thread before, but you can find out what maze you have just by the combination of what columns the circles are in. Like 'Columns 1 and 4'. I also think it'd be quicker to just say 'Row x column y', but maybe that's just me.

Great finish on that bomb, though.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Bacter posted:

That's fine to say from the armchair, but in the middle of a bomb I'm more than liable to forget even simple details - unless we're super crunched, or I had a lot more learning and muscle memory with SS, autopilot stays off.
Agreed. Every time I've gotten strikes on Simon Says have been the times where I got cocky we "went fast" by me trying to only bring up new colors and remember the rest of the sequence myself while under the pressure of a rapidly approaching kaboom.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Not to mention there's always the possibility of being in the middle of a Simon Says only for a Needy module to demand your attention, then having to remember what the sequence was once you've dealt with that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You are quite good at this. That ending killed me. And splitting up the videos was a great cange, since I really didn't think you'd make it in that try.

I may have an interesting challenge for you:
At the end of the LP you should both start a relatively simple bomb at the same time. Then you solve both bombs but obivously can't use your own manual for your bomb. (Just pretend they are different brands of bombs.) Also you should probably switch between jobs after each module. Otherwise it would just be like solving two bombs really fast.
That dynamic rotation between caller and defuser could give you a nice bit of aditional stress. Because defusing bomb one at a time is too relaxing for veterans like you.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Not to mention there's always the possibility of being in the middle of a Simon Says only for a Needy module to demand your attention, then having to remember what the sequence was once you've dealt with that.

A Simon Says module does repeat its current sequence every several seconds, even if you've started inputting something. It's not fatal to switch to something else in the middle of a Simon Says puzzle, but it does take awhile to get back on track.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

A Simon Says module does repeat its current sequence every several seconds, even if you've started inputting something. It's not fatal to switch to something else in the middle of a Simon Says puzzle, but it does take awhile to get back on track.

Can you imagine leaving Simon Says for a moment to deal with something else, getting a strike, and going back to Simon Says without realizing that the input pattern was now different?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
When you get a strike on the Simon Says module itself the pattern resets. Whether it does that if you get a strike on a different module is currently unknown. Bacter, Mzbundifund, you know what you must do.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Strikes are per-bomb, not per-module.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, that's not what they're saying. The question is, what happens if you do part of a Simon Says and then get a strike on a different module? Does the Simon Says reset to a new pattern, or do the colors you have to press change?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Someone Awful! posted:

Man, this has been such a tense LP. I don't have anyone I could ever convince anyone to play it with me, but man even just watching it was a great ride.

W.T. Fits posted:

This game may not go out of its way to set those up, but :sbahj: if it's not immensely satisfying when you pull them off.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This has been a real ride, guys. I have way too much emotional investment in your little videos. You are doing / have done great work! :allears:

Thanks a lot everyone! I was very unsure going into this given the blind nature of it, but I'm glad the game turned out as tense and interesting as it did. I know I've had a ton of fun making these videos.

Well guys I know you were all excited about the exotic bombs, but I'm afraid I can't do it. I have learned a terrible secret. A terrible truth.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Never has somebody felt more betrayed than we, as we learned about the new Anno. Thanks for watching everybody! It was even more fun that I expected!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It was a growth gene from the Chinook Salmon combined with a gene from the ocean pout to make sure it never turned off. The result is an atlantic salmon that grows to market size much faster, and it only took about 20 years to get approved.

You'll also probably never get to eat it unless you go out of your way to hunt it down, as they can only produce about 100 tons a year, which is a tiny tiny fraction of the salmon market.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm just sad you never got to see the other question on the venting needy module. There was a great moment in one of the streams I watched where the guy had 4-6 of them on one bomb, and got so used to "Vent Gas? YES" that when one of them said "Detonate?" he pressed Y without even looking at it. The result was a very confused and exploded bomb defuser who had to be told by the stream chat what had just happened, especially since there's a slight delay while the module types out Y E S, so he thought it had to do with the regular module he'd flipped back around to but hadn't touched yet. :laugh:

This has been a great LP though, especially with those last two bombs. It's been a blast, fellas. :)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Rad LP there Mzbundifund, even if you did have to lower yourself to get that ne'er-do-well to play with you. I tease, both you and Bacter have awesome chemistry for co-op LPs.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Good bomb, son. Good bomb.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Excellent LP guys, thanks so much for getting blowed up several times for our entertainment. Too bad those Exotic bombs aren't compelling. They should've had the sorts of stuff others mentioned, like the "Vent Gas Y/N?" module sometimes being "Don't Vent Gas?" or even "Don't Not Vent Gas? Y/N By-the-way-it's-opposite-day"

Anyway, I'd love to see more of that Anno game. Very enjoyable to see your different play strategies and approaches.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
This LP was the bomb, thanks!

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

shouldersbroad posted:

Excellent LP guys, thanks so much for getting blowed up several times for our entertainment. Too bad those Exotic bombs aren't compelling. They should've had the sorts of stuff others mentioned, like the "Vent Gas Y/N?" module sometimes being "Don't Vent Gas?" or even "Don't Not Vent Gas? Y/N By-the-way-it's-opposite-day"

Anyway, I'd love to see more of that Anno game. Very enjoyable to see your different play strategies and approaches.

Didn't someone mention that the module sometimes displays "Detonate? Y/N" or was that just a suggestion to change up the module?

I'd actually like to see some DLC to this game with more modules, and different patterns shown in the current ones that use more of the indicator lights, ports, batteries, etc.

e: vv That's brilliant and I love it.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 28, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ramengank posted:

Didn't someone mention that the module sometimes displays "Detonate? Y/N" or was that just a suggestion to change up the module?

I'd actually like to see some DLC to this game with more modules, and different patterns shown in the current ones that use more of the indicator lights, ports, batteries, etc.

Yes, that's a thing it actually does. The whole idea being that it lulls you into complacency by constantly asking "Vent Gas?" Y/N" to the point where hitting "Y" becomes rote, and then while you're busy with other stuff and not really paying attention... "Detonate? Y/N" "Y" *BOOM*

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You know what I'd like to see? What if instead of it simply being the same layout every time, imagine if you had to do some weird stuff before you could defuse the bomb, like use a particular screwdriver to dissasemble a panel before you could get at some of the modules or type in a code somewhere before the modules can turn on etc. Tonnes of potential here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tombot posted:

You know what I'd like to see? What if instead of it simply being the same layout every time, imagine if you had to do some weird stuff before you could defuse the bomb, like use a particular screwdriver to dissasemble a panel before you could get at some of the modules or type in a code somewhere before the modules can turn on etc. Tonnes of potential here.

That does sound neat, but I assume they went with the module format because the defuser needs to be able to clearly describe what "the problem" is to the expert(s), and being presented with a blank box doesn't give the defuser much to work with. I mean, I'm sure it's a solvable problem, but it's also entirely possible that they tried it and ended up deciding to go with a more focused design of "here are N clearly-marked puzzles" to avoid players getting sidetracked and frustrated.

• Locked thread