Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's kinda sad that we actually have two guys who know Greek letters really well and don't need to try and describe what they look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It's kinda sad that we actually have two guys who know Greek letters really well and don't need to try and describe what they look like.

You've never taken a single class on anybody remotely related to Greece or been involved in Frats/Sororities at all?

I recognize half these symbols and it's just from general classes in college and being involved in a music sorority

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The real joke is how in the first video I described something as a phi when what I was thinking of was a psi, but fortunately Bacter misremembered it in exactly the same way! We're not competent but our mutual incompetence cancels each other out.

Are you ready for some new modules? Because WE SURE WERE.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't believe you did the display module completely wrong and still defused it.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Warmal posted:

Normally you would think the pressure is on the person with the bomb. seeing as they're the one that's about to explode. But it's definitely on the one with the manual. You can basically hear it in the manual owners voice how much they're trying to find the correct solution. So far, the answers have seemed easy enough so it's not too bad. I imagine harder bombs are going to get worse and worse for the one with the manual. It's easy enough to describe what the bomb looks like, unless you don't know your greek letters. So far at least.

Yeah, the defuser just needs to report data and execute commands. The bulk of the puzzle-solving happens on the manual side.

Although, that does get flipped around for modules where the difficulty comes from obscuring the vital information or making it difficult to communicate clearly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

CirclMastr posted:

I can't believe you did the display module completely wrong and still defused it.

I was also astounded by it and wondered if I've been doing them all wrong myself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CirclMastr posted:

It's an interesting method. The defuser had to remember the labels and positions, which makes a certain amount of sense. You remember these things easier if you pressed the buttons yourself.

I would have the defuser dictate the guy with the manual the numbers, so that the manual person can write them down to and just circle the number that's pressed. No need to remember the position or label you pressed 4 steps ago, you can just look it up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
So far we've been working with no extras (pen & paper), though I'd like to stress that's not strictly part of the challenge.

Assuming this is OK with the thread, and, to a lesser extent, Mzbundifund, I'd like to imagine the guy with the manual as being stuck in a room with no internet access, but a pen, some paper, and the manual. That means, if necessary, we can scribble things down (and I'm considering adding some shorthand notes to quickly finish the easier puzzles), but we won't read ahead, we won't check the internet, etc.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

You've never taken a single class on anybody remotely related to Greece or been involved in Frats/Sororities at all?

I recognize half these symbols and it's just from general classes in college and being involved in a music sorority

My knowledge is pretty limited - just knowing that "rho kappa sigma" is probably a fraternity doesn't translate to knowing the symbols, unfortunately. All the symbols I know are either common knowledge (pi, omega, etc.) or come up frequently in science (sigma, mu, tau), as that's my job.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Oh you're absolutely going to want to take notes for the harder modules. I can't imagine anyone begrudging you that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You obviously don't know Mzbundifund like I do.

He's begrudging it, I can HEAR it. He's begrudging it right now.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
:psyduck: How the hell did you gently caress up the memory module so badly and yet somehow beat it? I am astounded.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bacter posted:

So far we've been working with no extras (pen & paper), though I'd like to stress that's not strictly part of the challenge.

Assuming this is OK with the thread, and, to a lesser extent, Mzbundifund, I'd like to imagine the guy with the manual as being stuck in a room with no internet access, but a pen, some paper, and the manual. That means, if necessary, we can scribble things down (and I'm considering adding some shorthand notes to quickly finish the easier puzzles), but we won't read ahead, we won't check the internet, etc.

A nice immersive threshold for cheat sheets - Print out the manual, use as many notes as you can fit in the margins.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It was just the most amazing dumb luck. I wasn't aware that the display changed each stage, so I just kept reading off the instructions assuming the display was the same the whole way down. By unbelievable chance, those instructions still ended up pointing to the correct button.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm quite convinced that's programmed into the game for the earlier levels.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

A nice immersive threshold for cheat sheets - Print out the manual, use as many notes as you can fit in the margins.
I really like this idea, especially if we get to see a photo of the scribbled-all-over manual(s) eventually.

The sound of flipping the pages of the manual really adds to the experience, too. You two are really well suited to a game that requires the players to be articulate and quick witted... that said, hope the difficulty ramps up so we can hear you two in panic mode!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does this game work with tablets?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm quite convinced that's programmed into the game for the earlier levels.

This. The instructions don't require any input from the bomb expert once he knows the specific pattern the bomb uses. Also, the instruction are pretty easy and written to reinforce "4", which is the only thing you have to remember.

Step 1: "Press the button in the second position". It was labelled 4.
Step 2: "Press the button labelled 4". This is in the second position.
Step 3: "Press the button with the same label that the one pressed on stage 2". Still a 4, still in the second position.
Step 4: "Press the button in the same position that you pressed in Stage 1". Still the second position, this time the button was labelled 1.
Step 5: "Press the button with the same label that you pressed in Stage 1". This one changes, it's 4 in the third position. But with the amount of 4s you have pressed you should be able to remember it. I'm sure that ticking down clock will not make you nervous at all.

I'm eager to see how much of a dick the developers are with this module. They can be very, very mean if they want,

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bacter posted:

There's one module that will be very difficult without a pen and paper (the password module), and one which I believe will be impossible without a pen and paper (Morse code).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FicusArt posted:

Clearly, whenever a bomb goes off, the person defusing the bomb should be replaced with a new let's player

One by one everyone in the thread is gonna die.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Rarely have I seen an avatar and post work together so well as GI's there.

ALSO: So noted! Scribbles on the manual are what we're gonna do!

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

This is fun! This thread is fun.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Reveilled posted:

There's one module that will be very difficult without a pen and paper (the password module), and one which I believe will be impossible without a pen and paper (Morse code).

Nothing in this >needs< a pen & paper. My brother, myself and another goon were able to get up to the last set of challenges without anyone taking notes and getting progressively drunker as they got harder.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
And nobody needs to get their dick out in this thread, but there's always one I guess.

I won't mark you guys down for making notes of awkward puzzles. Like who in the world uses morse code anymore, anyway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Good LP everybody!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

What should we do next?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Haha yeah, Who's On First can throw a big spanner in the works if you aren't careful with your manual reading and communication. It's not so bad once you're used to it, though.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 18, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bacter posted:

What should we do next?

Try again!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
RIP

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
A trick with the Who's on First I've noticed is that sometimes for the lists on the second page, the button appears in it's own list. You can just scratch out everything after that. I'm working on a personal manual with shorthands, and Who's on First needs some serious alphabetization to make it go faster.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Bacter posted:

What should we do next?

Call in outside help (i.e. me)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CirclMastr posted:

Twitch Plays Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

CirclMastr posted:

I also nominate myself for defusal advice help.

I've died multiple times to Who's On First as well, specifically because the first word in the "Uh Huh" list is "Uh Huh." This module's designed to confuse people.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Bacter posted:

What should we do next?

FicusArt posted:

Clearly, whenever a bomb goes off, the person defusing the bomb should be replaced with a new let's player

If you die to the bomb, you're dead to the lp

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Twitch Plays Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Already happened, actually. Although it wasn't fully automated.. Twitch chat spams instructions, skype people read most common instructions to the actual bomb defuser who isn't reading twitch.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Dragonatrix posted:

When I first heard about this game as something for the Oculus Rift I thought it was a cool idea, but expected the execution to be pretty meh. It doesn't seem all that bad, all things considered. When playing with a Rift or the like, it probably works out really well and is actually able to be tense.

From what we've seen just in this one video, I do think that it being ported to Steam and the like kind of undermines the gameplay a lot though. When playing there, the only reason to actually do it co-op is because the game asks you very nicely to not use the manual while playing yourself.

To be honest, and I haven't checked to see if anyone has mentioned this. I think there's no possible way you can look between the manual and the game fast enough to stand a chance at defusing some of the things, especially with the later modules.

e: Also, catching up cause I was a few videos behind: I am pleased and amazed at how quickly you realized that battlefield maze terminology would be so effective. As for levels you lose on, I think it would be worth showing one failure, maybe a montage, and then cutting right to the victory reel.

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 19, 2015

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Man this is great, keep it up guys.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Bacter posted:

What should we do next?

Your demoted and must complete one mission from either LA Noire/The Getaway (cop mission) or any cop related gme to show you are hungry to get back in the bomb disposal unit!

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
This game seems pretty good. You guys are also surprisingly good at it, especially for a blind run.

Well, until you died. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ally_1986 posted:

Your demoted and must complete one mission from either LA Noire/The Getaway (cop mission) or any cop related gme to show you are hungry to get back in the bomb disposal unit!
If you don't want to go the "bomb defuser is dead to the LP" gimmick route, this actually seems like a funny idea

• Locked thread