Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought it was "dot, dot, dash."

It's both. I've actually had a little training with Morse code, so I'm just a little frustrated with you guys' performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's both. I've actually had a little training with Morse code, so I'm just a little frustrated with you guys' performance.

This is the main reason why I can almost never stand to watch blind LPs, it's so frustrating when you figure it out before the knucklehead doing the thing. I just can't see this game working in a non-blind format, but yeah that was my biggest worry going into this.

Time to disarm 100 bombs, hooting about how great we are!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure that bomb was going 2x speed.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 24, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure that bomb was going 2x speed.

After you get a strike, the time starts to run out faster.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You should add some extra stuff to the end of the video with non-DMCA-takedown music for successes just to keep us guessing, and also give some cool tunes for us if you end up winning on these bombs on first try. Keep the suspense if we see the length of the video.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

death .cab for qt posted:

You should add some extra stuff to the end of the video with non-DMCA-takedown music for successes just to keep us guessing, and also give some cool tunes for us if you end up winning on these bombs on first try. Keep the suspense if we see the length of the video.
I like this idea.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I heard some people were interested in seeing our scribblenotes?

Well, we're coming up on a bomb that requires you to power through 5 modules in 2.5 minutes.

And we'll want to be as organized as is humanly possible for that one!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 26, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

64bitrobot posted:

After you get a strike, the time starts to run out faster.
Oh, that's cruel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It makes sense, otherwise you could deliberately risk strikes to speed things up (especially complicated wires).

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The button, too.

Press the button and release immediately. No? Press and hold and refer to the hold chart.

It also introduces a tradeoff - it's usually better to do the tricky modules first, to get them out of the way. UNLESS you screw them up, then you lose more total time by trying and failing them then you would by doing them last!
VVV

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 24, 2015

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Sindai posted:

It makes sense, otherwise you could deliberately risk strikes to speed things up (especially complicated wires).

It doesn't prevent that at all. It just makes sure you do that last.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Bacter posted:

I heard some people were interested in seeing our scribblenotes?

Well, we're coming up on a bomb that requires you to power through 5 modules in 2.5 minutes.

And we'll want to be as organized as is humanly possible for that one!

I definitely like some of the information reduction you've put into those modules! The 'complicated' wires one is actually pretty great.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The fun thing about the complicated wires is that they become simpler than the simple wires if encoded like this!

Every outcome is uniquely identified by 4 bits of information, so if we can remember the LED -> Star -> red -> blue order, every wire can be "yes no yes yes" or whatever, and then we'll know exactly what to do!

The "simple" wires have more complicated conditions, in that the leaves (the endpoints of the tree) exist at many depths. Best-case scenario, I need to know one fact, but that's variable, I need to pay attention and focus on tree navigation for each one, and that variability engages a slower section of processing in th' brain!

I'm sure this is just a complex way of saying a simple thing, but if you know a priori what form the answer is going to come in, then you can always be ready for the next step. If the process could end at any point, it just takes more concentration, which is, for me at least, a greater chance to get flustered. And fluster is a time killer!

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks for posting your manual notes, Bacter! Neat to see you organizing all that obfuscation. Who is the real villain: the bomb-maker or the manual-maker?

Though I rather hoped to see some exasperated margin doodles of a cartoon Mzbundifund going BOOM! Not that such a thing has occurred in THIS universe, of course...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I know a few of the who's on first things are completely unnecessary because they contain the key-word in the list itself. Also the mazes always contain unnecessary information.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, but you're supposed to read from left to right, and pick the first word, so while it'll never be a word AFTER the keyword in a row, every row is still important, right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

shouldersbroad posted:

Thanks for posting your manual notes, Bacter! Neat to see you organizing all that obfuscation. Who is the real villain: the bomb-maker or the manual-maker?

While I am not an expert on the rich lore of KTANE, I think they are the same person. Some madman made all these insane bombs and distributed intentionally complicated handbooks. They are so common that practially everyone has a copy. But when he kidnaps people and puts them in bombrooms, he takes their guides away.

Or is there a real story?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I like the Venn diagram :colbert:. Granted it's a puzzle that inevitably gets handed to me when it does come up (since the group I play with usually has two or three experts playing at once), which suggests I might be the only person who does like it :v:.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My GF just made a list of all the complicated wire combinations so she can look up the one that matches instead of trying to navigate the Venn-diagram each time.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Bacter posted:

Yeah, but you're supposed to read from left to right, and pick the first word, so while it'll never be a word AFTER the keyword in a row, every row is still important, right?

I'm not going to check, so this is solely from my memory as bomb defuser, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple rows where the keyword is also the first word in the row. I want to say "uh huh" is an example of this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'd imagine the correct thing to do with the words is just blank out all the words after the repeat to reduce visual clutter, as that's the real issue with that page from what I've seen of others playing. Also I mentioned earlier the mazes have unnecessary information, specifically no maze shares a circle with any other so you only need one circle to know which maze you're looking at.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Some thoughts from someone who's successfully defused all of the first five sections of bombs (but unfortunately has yet to be the guy with the manual):

Although some people have remarked that the defuser is less of a stressful position, I think things change as the players become better and the challenges increase. In the early stages, the decoder is still trying to make heads and tails of all the charts and rules, but hard modules like Morse Code and Who's On First present much more of a communication challenge, and you can be a huge help on the Password if you can see some possible words without having to read all the letters out. Similarly, when you're really crunched for time, the onus is on the defuser to really communicate efficiently (did you know that each maze is uniquely identified by the columns of the circles alone?). And then the needy modules...my god, the loving needy modules...

One really useful thing, I think, is the fact that on complicated wires (if you're actually using the Venn diagram, at least), you can do them in any order. It's easy to navigate from one result to another if only one "bit" is flipped; just cross the corresponding line out of your current box. So if the defuser can order the wires such that each one is similar to the next, you can fire them off super fast. With a decent set of wires, this even saves speed over your flowchart, since you can often get three or four wires with only 5 bits of information.

In summary, gently caress that goddamn motherfucking piece of poo poo alarm clock forever.

e: ^^^ That's really interesting, I hadn't noticed that every circle is unique. I wonder which is faster, giving the two columns or one row-column pair.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Today we encounter the last two primary modules for the first time, on the same bomb!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Keep talking but gently caress Morse, wires, and passwords.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 25, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think you have an unfair advantage in that both of you have played as the bomb defuser and the manual reader.

That said, gently caress Morse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Passwords definitely work better with multiple manual readers. Hand someone the letters and let them chew on it while solving other stuff.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I think you have an unfair advantage in that both of you have played as the bomb defuser and the manual reader.

That's not even the worst of it - we're both [i]really smart[\i], and good at simple puzzles!

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think that "U" was actually a "V"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bacter posted:

That's not even the worst of it - we're both really smart[\i], and good at simple puzzles!

So is this a :thejoke: or did you not intentionally use the wrong kind of slash there?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'd never knock one of your posts, but consider the extra comedy value if you'd said

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So is this a :thejoke: or did you [i]not[\i] intentionally use the wrong kind of slash there?

Eh? EH?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The real worst thing about the password isn't figuring out what it is (though depending on specific aptitudes it can be rough), it's the half minute minimum you lose just rattling off letters. Other puzzles have some interpretation needed, or shorthand you can build, or something else you can do, but password is just the defuser having to carefully relay a bunch of super obvious information, and then the reader solving the puzzle that's simply been transplanted wholesale (or at least enough to solve) to them. The needlessness of the time spent more than anything can ramp up the tension and make both sides more impatient, which can gently caress with the results of other modules. Especially if you're doing it first because it's a gimme that just takes a while, so you want to make sure you have the time. I'd almost call it mostly a meta puzzle. As other people have pointed out, having multiple readers is great for password so you can just dump off the information and then stop worrying about it, which defuses the meta level pretty well.

Morse code is rough because it goes through two sets of mangling: the defuser trying to read the morse code (which some people are bad at, especially while under pressure), and the reader trying to parse what the gently caress is coming out of the defuser's mouth as they try to relay it at the same time as reading it. A direct mirror to password, "solving" it is completely facile and the challenge is in having the correct information. The real puzzle ends up being a variant of the "whisper circle" experiment, where what Bomb A is saying might not be what Defuser B says, or what Reader C hears.

This is also interesting to contrast to the complicated wires, where as Bacter has pointed out, the manual itself is the real puzzle. Now, this is a good and fun thing to do...if you didn't have to do it 3-6 times for a single goddamn module. That's just excessive.

I almost feel like dissecting the rest of the puzzles now, but this is probably already enough of a pseudo-intellectual wankfest. :shobon:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Felinoid posted:

The real worst thing about the password isn't figuring out what it is (though depending on specific aptitudes it can be rough), it's the half minute minimum you lose just rattling off letters. Other puzzles have some interpretation needed, or shorthand you can build, or something else you can do, but password is just the defuser having to carefully relay a bunch of super obvious information, and then the reader solving the puzzle that's simply been transplanted wholesale (or at least enough to solve) to them. The needlessness of the time spent more than anything can ramp up the tension and make both sides more impatient, which can gently caress with the results of other modules. Especially if you're doing it first because it's a gimme that just takes a while, so you want to make sure you have the time. I'd almost call it mostly a meta puzzle. As other people have pointed out, having multiple readers is great for password so you can just dump off the information and then stop worrying about it, which defuses the meta level pretty well.

Morse code is rough because it goes through two sets of mangling: the defuser trying to read the morse code (which some people are bad at, especially while under pressure), and the reader trying to parse what the gently caress is coming out of the defuser's mouth as they try to relay it at the same time as reading it. A direct mirror to password, "solving" it is completely facile and the challenge is in having the correct information. The real puzzle ends up being a variant of the "whisper circle" experiment, where what Bomb A is saying might not be what Defuser B says, or what Reader C hears.

This is also interesting to contrast to the complicated wires, where as Bacter has pointed out, the manual itself is the real puzzle. Now, this is a good and fun thing to do...if you didn't have to do it 3-6 times for a single goddamn module. That's just excessive.

I almost feel like dissecting the rest of the puzzles now, but this is probably already enough of a pseudo-intellectual wankfest. :shobon:

One thing I like about the complicated wires is how you get a freebie in the last wire. If you haven't run into a problem going left to right, after figuring out the second to last wire, you automatically know if you have to cut the last wire or not. If you don't need to cut it, you'll find out the second you cut the last wire you need to, or if you're on the wire right before it you know right away you have to cut it. A few seconds can be shaved off depending on how the module worked out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The most effective morse code solving I've ever seen was getting the first and last letter. Also the defused calling out short and long because the actual beeps are at least internally consistent from what I remember, If not consistent across multiple bombs

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I've watched a bunch of videos of this game now, and one thing that struck me is that the password can be done mostly on the defuser end if you have other stuff going on that takes some time. For example, the defuser reads out an entire set of 6 complex wires, then while the expert sorts out the wires, the defuser can play with the password to try to make words and come up with a word or two to check for in the list.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Great Gray Shrike posted:

I've watched a bunch of videos of this game now, and one thing that struck me is that the password can be done mostly on the defuser end if you have other stuff going on that takes some time. For example, the defuser reads out an entire set of 6 complex wires, then while the expert sorts out the wires, the defuser can play with the password to try to make words and come up with a word or two to check for in the list.

Can they actually make words that aren't on the list? I guess "they will only make one word on this list" allows for it, but it didn't really occur to me that there'd be much of a chance for it to happen with all the U-Z that tends to show up.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I seem to recall that more than one actual word can be made sometimes. Otherwise you wouldn't need the list at all, you could just go through and find the only actual word that appears.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You able to upload a picture of the password sheet? I wanna see how bad it is.

VVV :catstare: Sweet Jesus.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The manual is freely available at http://www.bombmanual.com/

I promise this website will *not* get you put on a TSA watchlist.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bacter's Notes Addendum

Since we've seen all the modules now,

This is the rest of my notes!

Mornacale posted:

I'm not going to check, so this is solely from my memory as bomb defuser, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple rows where the keyword is also the first word in the row. I want to say "uh huh" is an example of this.

Uh huh is in fact the ONLY example of this, but I did go back and mark out every word past the display word - that DOES ease up on the clutter considerably!

(E: The bible is for last rites, in case something tragic should happen in the course of high-risk bomb defusing. The chips and pop are because even EOD auteurs get peckish!)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I like how you restricted yourself to using the manual itself.

• Locked thread