Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Hang on, baby. Before we go any further I'm gonna need your John Hancock on a few of these forms, that is, if you're ready to gently caress. Please sign here, here, and here.... and date here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

The kid is right: stopping every ten minutes and getting a yes is stupid as gently caress. But you shouldn't ridicule the idea of actively seeking consent.

I don't know why you think we're in disagreement.
I'm not ridiculing the idea of active consent, I haven't at any point in the thread. My argument is there are other ways to get and give consent beyond the merely "explicit verbal." The right look, the right touch, the right smile should be considered enough in hot and heavy situations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
What I do to imply consent is at every escalation of the sex act, I give out a really guttural "ohh yeaaaahhh" and I encourage my partner to do the same.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

SHISHKABOB posted:

The kid is right: stopping every ten minutes and getting a yes is stupid as gently caress. But you shouldn't ridicule the idea of actively seeking consent.
great that's what everyone else was saying too numbnuts, but keep making more moralizing stupid unfunny posts anyway

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
remember when chappelles show did a skit about this like a decade ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4568PIRnk

terrible quality video but :effort:

oh heh it's rashida jones

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Applewhite posted:

I'm not ridiculing the idea of active consent, I haven't at any point in the thread. My argument is there are other ways to get and give consent beyond the merely "explicit verbal." The right look, the right touch, the right smile should be considered enough in hot and heavy situations.

Shishkabob is a massive loving idiot just ignore him

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I'm Crap posted:

great that's what everyone else was saying too numbnuts, but keep making more moralizing stupid unfunny posts anyway

Seriously.
I stand by my earlier assessment that Shishkabob is actively looking for reasons to take offense.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sintax posted:

What I do to imply consent is at every escalation of the sex act, I give out a really guttural "ohh yeaaaahhh" and I encourage my partner to do the same.

Did he snap into your slim jim

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm glad I've managed not to rape anybody in my life even though I didn't go through the formal written consent process, according to the internet I'm the only person in the history of the world to have achieved this feat.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Sintax posted:

Kool-Aid Man had this poo poo figured out decades ago

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
autism and women. that'd be a good book name

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Aiden Ryan is going to get back to school after prom night and be known as a total goober in the sack.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Seriously.
I stand by my earlier assessment that Shishkabob is actively looking for reasons to take offense.

Shishkabob actually cannot read at all

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Prawned posted:

I'm glad I've managed not to rape anybody in my life even though I didn't go through the formal written consent process, according to the internet I'm the only person in the history of the world to have achieved this feat.

Actually a lot of adults are still virgins.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

corpuscollossus posted:

Expecting people to pause at regular intervals to get verbal consent is not reasonable. It's not how sex goes.

I feel like in the larger context of the article that is not really what they are actually teaching, it's more just explaining the idea of checking you're both into the escalation, and even giving them tips for how to make that more natural. Sure, as adults we probably don't need to be as formal as all that but for young kids it could be pretty useful, I can actually see it leading to better sex in general given that it promotes communication. There can be some weirdness and strange redefinitions of consent that start to creep into college campus feminism stuff, but I don't see any of that here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moola posted:

Shishkabob actually cannot read at all

Ouch, that's gonna come back to bite him in the rear end at sex contract time.
Shishkabob: "I didn't consent to anal!"

Judge: "I'm sorry but is this not your signature on these documents?"

Shishkabob: "I...it is, your honor."

Council for the plaintiff: *facepalm*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

I feel like in the larger context of the article that is not really what they are actually teaching,

quote:

“What does that mean — you have to say ‘yes’ every 10 minutes?” asked Aiden Ryan, 15, who sat near the front of the room.

“Pretty much,” Ms. Zaloom answered. “It’s not a timing thing, but whoever initiates things to another level has to ask.”

quote:

“Pretty much,” Ms. Zaloom answered.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ms. Zaloom

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

So did you read the entire last sentence of what you quoted or just the first two words?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
So the problem is that women are apparently taught to fear saying no (not sure who by, maybe I missed that bit in Sex Ed class) and so they have to say yes at frequent intervals. Um... so are women not capable of lying? If they are, then we'd better break out the lie detectors too!
"May I continue intercourse?"
"What? Yes!!"
"Are you sure?"
"God yes come on...."
"Can't be certain... can I stick these pads on you, just need my lie detector to confirm you mean it"

(Men, of course, cannot be raped)

TBH, there's an easy way to avoid this problem: don't have sex with this type of person. Why would you even want to? Wouldn't the perpetual scowl be a bit of a bonerkill?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SHISHKABOB posted:

The kid is right: stopping every ten minutes and getting a yes is stupid as gently caress.

let me echo everyone above in saying that you're an utter dumbass and this is all anyone has been saying this whole time, you complete fuckup

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

So did you read the entire last sentence of what you quoted or just the first two words?

Lighten up.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mrs. Zaloom? lmao

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

social vegan posted:

10 minutes? lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I hope it still sucks for them. That's half the fun of it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
if this topic upsets you, you've never had a normal relationship. seek help

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

I feel like in the larger context of the article that is not really what they are actually teaching, it's more just explaining the idea of checking you're both into the escalation, and even giving them tips for how to make that more natural. Sure, as adults we probably don't need to be as formal as all that but for young kids it could be pretty useful, I can actually see it leading to better sex in general given that it promotes communication. There can be some weirdness and strange redefinitions of consent that start to creep into college campus feminism stuff, but I don't see any of that here.

Mostly agree. My only issue with it is when the teacher says 'pretty much', it sends out a warped message to a class of (mostly) virgins about how things go during sex, much in the same way drug education went for me in school in the early 90s. I had the impression that drugs were pushed by knife-wielding pimps and that my brain would be turned into gel. When you inevitably get drugging, you find a lot of normal people having a great time and maybe don't drug as responsibly as you should because you realise this gay life is a lie.

Sex education needs to empower girls to voice it when they're uncomfortable and ensure the guys know that their awkward fumbling might be okay up to a point, but understand that there's limits and to be sensitive to when they're pushing them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Literally my only complaint.

Applewhite posted:

Well then, from your mockery of the article I would have thought otherwise.

dogdisaster
May 31, 2014

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think it's a good idea, although sometimes the notary gets a bit pissy about house calls

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Hey guys if she pushes you away maybe ask if shes ok, hey girls if he's doing stuff you're uncomfortable maybe mention it" would probably be reasonable.

However the whole

"hey can i kiss you"
"hey can I undress you"
"hey can i engage in foreplay"
"hey can i get on with the sex already"

is dumb and hilarious.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Has this thread been ruined by insufferable pedants yet?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Well I am now imagining a dude all like 'areyoustillintothisareyoustillintothisareyoustillintothisareyoustillintothis' the entire time while the girl is mechanically answering 'yes....yes....yes.....yes....yes'. The consent app records constantly and if it hears a pause will instantly call the police and set off nearby wirelessly connected alarms, which have of course been installed everywhere.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

ashgromnies posted:

lol yes listening to a person with a muslim name about sex, i am sure they are not totally repressed and in favor of stoning anyone who engages in non-marital sex

I spent the night with a Muslim girl once. I didn't know she was Muslim until i woke up the next morning to a pair of Korans on the nightstand. That one really freaked me out. I don't know why she had two of them, maybe I was supposed to take one on my way out?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nodelphi posted:

Has this thread been ruined by insufferable pedants yet?

Did you even read the OP?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i actually did learn this from movies and poo poo when i was a teenager. my earliest sexual encounters were ridiculed with requests to do poo poo, and (surprise surprise) girls hate that.

this also glosses over the fact that some girls like to say "no" to people they want just so they wont feel like sluts for having sex

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i actually did learn this from movies and poo poo when i was a teenager. my earliest sexual encounters were ridiculed with requests to do poo poo, and (surprise surprise) girls hate that.

this also glosses over the fact that some girls like to say "no" to people they want just so they wont feel like sluts for having sex

A big part of this seems designed to change girls behaviour as much as it is men's, they just can't acknowledge that too explicitly or they'll be accused of victim blaming.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes but they are ok with the converse: if someone doesn't say yes, then you should continue.

Here's a wild idea: women feel pressured to consent to mens' actions. So giving men the idea that "just cause she ain't sayin poo poo doesn't mean she's ok with it," will hopefully result in a balanced situation with communication on both sides as equals.

I think people think that women have just as much power as men when it comes to sex. Women are still taught to be meek and receptive by society.

im pretty sure the fact that the girls wanting to have sex again and talk to me afterwards is evidence enough that it was consensual

are you supposed to do this every time

am i supposed to ask my girlfriend whenever i try to kiss her? is she supposed to do the same to me??

this is DUMB, stop defending it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I attended a presentation in college called "May I Kiss You?" which was essentially the "explicit positive verbal consent" thing. My girlfriend and I thought it sounded like a good idea and tried it. Shortly thereafter we both agreed that it was stupid and went back to having sex like normal people.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I have never had sex. I'm 35.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
i love old man slipknot hoagie, he never asks if i want it like the boys do, he just takes me and ravishes my body the way it was meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

serious norman posted:

I have never had sex. I'm 35.

Strangely enough, you're still a rapist by current standards.

• Locked thread