Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Can I get all the songs that were on GH2 AKA the best one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

pksage posted:

lol

6/10: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/guitar-hero-live-review/1900-6416284/
7.5/10: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guitar_hero_live/b/playstation4/archive/2015/10/20/game-informer-review-guitar-hero-live.aspx

LITERALLY IDENTICAL TO RB4 ON METACRITIC RIGHT NOW (~noon EDT, Oct 20)

I have nothing against GHL (even the microtransactions, because this is 2015, and the day-pass thing is a cool idea) and Rock Band 4 has a lot of problems, but Abu Dave is a loving horrible shitposter. Anyone who likes Rock Band 4 is a braindead apologist, but in this thread he's slurping all over GHL's dick? Okay. Also there's a reason this thread is tagged with "misogyny".

Basically:

review scores are loving stupid and all the "negative" reviews are "game is really cool but different dlc model that I don't like"

honestly, the dlc model seems a lot more user-friendly to me than rock band's ever did. 150 plays for 20 bucks plus free play on playlists (plus more earned from regular gameplay) sounds loving awesome to me, no more buying a song I don't like because the chart looks like fun, I can just tune into the country half hour or whatever the gently caress to check out the charts and not buy the tracks for two dollars, and use my plays when I want to play a song that I enjoy listening to or really liked the chart of between import packs and single dlc purchases I probably have over 400 songs in my rock band library, so many of those songs I've only played a handful of times.

I'm not a 100% full clear scorehero dude, so I couldn't give a gently caress that the game doesn't let me restart or practice a song. now if you do enjoy practicing segments of songs until you perfect them and going for those full clears, this is not the game for you. that's cool! this game just tries to appeal to a more casual music game audience, and signing in every night to play a 30 minute block of ghtv, maybe playing a song or two afterwards on free play, then signing out sounds awesome for me.

ninjewtsu posted:

you know how metacritic works right? it's getting just as many 7s as it is getting 9s. cherrypicking the top of the list is pretty uncool

again, review scores are loving stupid, and all of the reviews I've read from outlets that have realized this and stopped scoring games have been very positive

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Can I get all the songs that were on GH2 AKA the best one?

yeah I'd be down for combining everything from 1, 2, 3, and 80s because even with 110 songs or so, good lord the majority of that setlist does not look interesting at all. RB still has a vastly better selection, even without the exports

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Lol, the DLC in this game is condensed self-flagellation. Activision you little scamp!

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Putting a lil time into this before work and I must say I'm enjoying it just cause it feels so different.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

deadwing posted:

honestly, the dlc model seems a lot more user-friendly to me than rock band's ever did. 150 plays for 20 bucks plus free play on playlists (plus more earned from regular gameplay) sounds loving awesome to me, no more buying a song I don't like because the chart looks like fun, I can just tune into the country half hour or whatever the gently caress to check out the charts and not buy the tracks for two dollars, and use my plays when I want to play a song that I enjoy listening to or really liked the chart of between import packs and single dlc purchases I probably have over 400 songs in my rock band library, so many of those songs I've only played a handful of times.

I'm not a 100% full clear scorehero dude, so I couldn't give a gently caress that the game doesn't let me restart or practice a song. now if you do enjoy practicing segments of songs until you perfect them and going for those full clears, this is not the game for you. that's cool! this game just tries to appeal to a more casual music game audience, and signing in every night to play a 30 minute block of ghtv, maybe playing a song or two afterwards on free play, then signing out sounds awesome for me.

The vibe I'm getting from it was saying to me "Activision wants their own Singstar" and that's ok I guess.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Vildiil posted:

Putting a lil time into this before work and I must say I'm enjoying it just cause it feels so different.

FreeStyle Games seems like an insanely cool group of folks with great ideas.

Activision is still Activision.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Gaspar Lewis posted:

FreeStyle Games seems like an insanely cool group of folks with great ideas.

They are the main reason I bit the bullet and purchased this, I really liked what they did with DJ Hero.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know about you guys, but getting unlimited free dlc for the future sounds alot more appealing to me than paying $3 for some Aerosmith B side.

Also nice cherry picking of reviews; the game is getting 9s and such all over.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127072

I don't work for Activision, I just like to see progression in music games, and think the game is a blast.

This. So I have to play 3 songs that are on the game to get a ghtv song for free. So I have to play a game and have fun. A game I paid for. Sounds hoooorrriiibbllleeeeee. I'd much rather have to do that than pay $2 per song for dlc.

I bought a song on rock band 4 that I really like that was horrible to play. I had to play keyboard parts on guitar that were hard as poo poo hammer ons and I had to sing parts that were played on keyboards too. I really wish I had only had to play 3 songs in order to play that and discover I hated it instead of being out $2

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 20, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I bought a song on rock band 4 that I really like that was horrible to play. I had to play keyboard parts on guitar that were hard as poo poo hammer ons and I had to sing parts that were played on keyboards too. I really wish I had only had to play 3 songs in order to play that and discover I hated it instead of being out $2

you wouldn't have even had to do that, you could have just played the song in the free ghtv rotations first to discover you will never spend a play credit on that song

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaboobi posted:

I thought the DLC tracks for Rock Band were $2 but maybe I'm mistaken?

Aren't Rocksmith songs $3.00?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
*disclaimer, I've beaten Jordan and Through The Fire And Flames on expert, and I thought they were fun...

At first I thought it was the off-tempo pop rock easy setting that was annoying me, so I set it on expert, but I literally... LITERALLY, just tried to play this game and I got so pissed that I smashed the guitar of the floor and it flew across the room and is in the corner probably broken, then I picked up my actual guitar and played the same stupid bar-chord Good Charlotte song while mocking the screen on the TV moving my head back and forth like a pathetic angry 13yr old. I've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to figure out why this game made me so mad and it has something to do with me interpreting black and white backwards. I can't visually process the color white on the bottom, and there is no customization option to change anything.

This game is NOT for me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

Its probably really fun if you can get used to it, Guitar Hero TV seems cool.

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 20, 2015

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Remember, kids: don't lock songs away in Quickplay in music games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guitar Hero Live is so popular that someone broke into my copy and stole the game out from UPS. gently caress my life.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Remember, kids: don't lock songs away in Quickplay in music games.

Progression can be nice. I think having everything unlocked in Rock Band or the full band Guitar Hero games makes sense, as there's an expectation of immediatly playing whatever with your friends who may not want to go through the entire game, but I don't think it's a problem in a single player focused game.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know about you guys, but getting unlimited free dlc for the future sounds alot more appealing to me than paying $3 for some Aerosmith B side.

Also nice cherry picking of reviews; the game is getting 9s and such all over.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127072

I don't work for Activision, I just like to see progression in music games, and think the game is a blast.

I haven't heard of most of those websites. Glad the game is fun and I hope you enjoy it. You should also contact Activision and demand some payments from them :v:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

redwalrus posted:

Its probably really fun if you can get used to it, Guitar Hero TV seems cool.

LOL look at this scrub who doesn't choose defective as the return reason so that shipping is free

Did you seriously break your guitar like a literal child though

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 21, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't blame him, i raged IRL when my copy came in without the loving disk. UGH

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
GHTV is weird, expert hurts my hands :(
The live shows are dumb.

Game and Guitar are alright tho.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Spent a few hours with the game now and I'm really enjoying it, having to actually start from the bottom again and work my way up is fun. The GHTV poo poo isn't bad at all, within what felt like no time I had a poo poo ton of coins or plays or whatever.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So I might be in the minority but I've played a few songs now and I'm really digging the FMV thing going on. I think it's a nice break from the same old cartoon characters in the background the whole time. And seeing the crowd react depending on how you play is pretty cool too.

It's gonna take a bit to get good on this guitar I think. When I see a note on the far right of the screen, my hand automatically wants to move down the neck one fret in order to press the orange. Gonna take a bit to change what my mind has been programmed.

Also I like most of these songs. Glad I returned RB4.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So while Rock Band developers where caught putting fake reviews up on Amazon, Guitar Hero Live soars and flies as a Great GameŠ. Your move, harmonix.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So I've played like 10-15 songs now on GHL and I freaking love it. Playing on advanced adds a new challenge with the black and white buttons. This game is seriously so much better than RB4. The music selection is a ton better too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still waiting for my disc to come in. Thanks amazon. :qq:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

got my copy in, just played it for three hours or so, game is really enjoyable, ghtv is a really good "just one more play" thing when another song you like comes on

playing on advanced and enjoying the new challenge of the second row, chording gets nuts, the song I've probably done the worst on is some loving One Direction song, got a low three stars on that and can 5 star a song like Limelight easily, it's really a whole new skillset to learn, and I'm already feeling it starting to click

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

redwalrus posted:

*disclaimer, I've beaten Jordan and Through The Fire And Flames on expert, and I thought they were fun...

At first I thought it was the off-tempo pop rock easy setting that was annoying me, so I set it on expert, but I literally... LITERALLY, just tried to play this game and I got so pissed that I smashed the guitar of the floor and it flew across the room and is in the corner probably broken, then I picked up my actual guitar and played the same stupid bar-chord Good Charlotte song while mocking the screen on the TV moving my head back and forth like a pathetic angry 13yr old. I've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to figure out why this game made me so mad and it has something to do with me interpreting black and white backwards. I can't visually process the color white on the bottom, and there is no customization option to change anything.

This game is NOT for me.

This is the exact problem I'm having. The colors should be reversed or at least have an option to reverse them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Make sure you guys let freestylegames know. Should be a easy fix

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

Mazel Tov posted:

This is the exact problem I'm having. The colors should be reversed or at least have an option to reverse them.

yea I dunno it doesnt work for me when on expert I have black fret with white lightning bolts and white fret with black lightning bolts mixed with black and white square/bar notes mixed with black and white notes and everything has a black and white outline and some stuff is randomly colored blue.

Its just not gonna work out. I don't know if they did this to combat colorblindness or what but its really difficult for me to process visually what I'm looking at, I have no problem pressing the buttons but the delay where I'm *thinking* about what color I'm evem seeing is completely paralyzing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my thoughts on playing all morning:

ive never see na fat british person before

why did they put all the hot birds in the front of the stage i keep tyring to look down their shrits and get distracted

im a attractive young man so i dont find this soundtrack offensive cuz i know them all already

3/5 for the birds issue

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you guys should drop difficulty, get used to the game then try again. I think you're all just trying to jump in to higher difficulties and getting frustrated.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can it past the 10/10 test?

"Ability to boot up the game and play my favorite song American Idiot in less than 10 minutes"

ROCK BAND 4:
NOPE

GHL:
YEP

10/10

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
There's a funny bug in the tutorial I ran across that will suddenly ratchet up the difficulty to expert if you try to restart a song.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
that sounds less like a bug and more like a feature for some of us :mmmsmug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chop suey, bulls on parade are a blast to play. So is that song with the nerdy girl as a clown.

I really love it. The chord shapes are relaly fun and different.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In GHTV are the songs locked to one difficulty? I can't see any way to set it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

In GHTV are the songs locked to one difficulty? I can't see any way to set it.

You change your difficulty from the pause menu (the two buttons flanking the Hero Power button)

Speaking of Hero Power, buying them and guitar upgrades is my one problem with this game. They need to adjust the economy on those fuckers, poo poo expensive as gently caress, fam. And the game doesn't even let you buy them with real money

Doesn't help that coin distribution seems hosed up, sometimes I'll be in the top 3 players of a song, get four stars on Advanced, and just get 60 coins for some reason

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

deadwing posted:

You change your difficulty from the pause menu (the two buttons flanking the Hero Power button)

Oh! Thank god.

e: Just played this in TV. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCqWK3SmRo

ee: Failing through the Portland Cloud Orchestra set is great. So many angry hippy folk dorks.
Also the swooping CG bird in the beginning takes a dump.

Is there any way of turning the highway off so I can just watch these 10 minute short films of pissed off people unobscured?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Songs that are fun and cool:

Chop Suey
Bulls on Parade
the one iwth the sad clown

• Locked thread