Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Black Baby Goku posted:

The calibration tool is not what you think. Just move the bell until it's in perfect timing, not until the end (this happened to me)

What does it do then? I heard it's best to just play an easy song, and you need a 200+ streak for it to calibrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I use the self calibrate on the difficulty I normally play on. It'll figure out if you're early or behind.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The game calibration option really helped me. I got the bell as close as I could then played a few songs with that on and now it's perfect.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The charts for this are mostly good and fun, but when they're frustrating they're REALLY frustrating

That 36 Crazyfists song is one, and the Zedd song in the Dance/Pop premium pack right now is another

Also the HOPO window in this game seems really forgiving which is a plus. Not quite as lax as GH3 but definitely moreso than basically everything else if my memory serves me right. Still having a blast. Only thing that makes me sad is lack of drums :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game is very forgiving of hitting notes late, but if you hit it even a little early you're screwed. And yes I've calibrated it, it's just how the game works from what I can tell.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

precision posted:

This game is very forgiving of hitting notes late, but if you hit it even a little early you're screwed. And yes I've calibrated it, it's just how the game works from what I can tell.

Sounds about right, I've gotten away with a lot of slop that even I thought was way late.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I picked this up on black Friday and just played the first set. Quick question: my hand really wants to slide and hit 2,3 chords with index and middle. Is doing this going to bite me in the rear end later?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Sono posted:

I picked this up on black Friday and just played the first set. Quick question: my hand really wants to slide and hit 2,3 chords with index and middle. Is doing this going to bite me in the rear end later?

Depends on the song, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it'll be followed by a 1+3 stretch or a barred 1 and black or white 3

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Sono posted:

Probably

Best to learn the "proper" way now instead of relearning later imo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sono posted:

Same, that's been totally throwing me playing on the toughest difficulty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sono posted:

If you want to ever play above "Regular" difficulty, yes.

The difficulty spike between Regular and Advanced is really big, I'm afraid to even look at Expert or whatever it's called.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I jumped straight in to Advanced and it's not too bad for most of the songs, but expert is a doozy

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Guys, standalone guitars.

$20

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-guitar+hero+live+standalone,28zu0

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo why are they only $20

i assume multiplayer allows two people to play the same song on different difficulties at the same time?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I don't know but for now I'll assume it's to really rub it in the faces of those rock band kids and their $100 stand alone guitars.

I dunno but it has to work that way right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do they even offer Guitar Hero Live as a digital download only? I wouldn't think so because it requires the guitar.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This is a no brainer I think, not having to take turns playing GHTV will own

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The ps3 / ps4 guitar controllers aren't cross compatible the way the dual shock 4 is, right? I was probably going to grab the PS3 version just because I don't feel like paying for PSN+, but wanted the option to upgrade since this is the sort of game that will eventually end up with a sequel.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

general chaos posted:

The ps3 / ps4 guitar controllers aren't cross compatible the way the dual shock 4 is, right? I was probably going to grab the PS3 version just because I don't feel like paying for PSN+, but wanted the option to upgrade since this is the sort of game that will eventually end up with a sequel.

I'm not sure about the rest but I do know guitar hero live/tv does not require psn or Xbox live.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
$25 shipped, good deal thank you for the post

Dr. Lariat posted:

I'm not sure about the rest but I do know guitar hero live/tv does not require psn or Xbox live.

I can confirm this to be true for PSN at least

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...really? Weird. Is GHTV the only online multiplayer thing that doesn't require PS+?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

precision posted:

...really? Weird. Is GHTV the only online multiplayer thing that doesn't require PS+?

Final Fantasy XIV doesn't. A lot of MMOs don't actually.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Top and bottom buttons in one chord are driving me crazy but I'll get it eventually. Barred notes don't seem to register reliably the way I'm playing though. You're supposed press down right in the middle and activate both buttons, right? I can't possibly be doing something wrong here.

Otherwise, best $69 black friday purchase. Nice to see it's been properly rebooted, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze was at full throttle when I was in college and just more of that would be easier to remaster but there'd be no challenge. GHTV is great too, I can just chill out and enjoy, and my roommate doesn't play but loves to watch just for the music videos.

Caseman posted:

I also just recently realized the visual difference between regular notes and hammer-on notes after watching a few expert charts, it could be a lot more apparent.

Explain if you don't mind?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Barre chords should be played by putting your whole finger down flat to press both buttons, it sounds like you're trying to aim in the middle with just the tip of your finger

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

NOTinuyasha posted:

The notes kind of glow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ISumUDL70

I was confused at first because I played the iOS App with the free demo songs, and there were lines connecting the hammer ons and pull offs... I assumed there would be a line in the main game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NOTinuyasha posted:

Blue glowing notes (not the powerup ones) can be played by hitting the button at the right time without strumming. It is very useful and you should practice it a lot.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rock the Ages: The 90’s

The Offspring – Pretty Fly for a White Guy
Marcy Playground – Sex and Candy
Alice in Chains – Them Bones
Additionally, if you place first in this show you’ll receive Solo Pectrus, a new note highway. Interesting to note that the naming implies that this is part of a series known as Rock the Ages. Could we be seeing more decade shows in the coming weeks?

Class of 2015

Nothing But Thieves – Ban All the Music
The Bots – Blinded
Pulled Apart by Horses – Hot Squash
No single artist show (yet), so these look like the only two that are going to be added this week. In addition to these shows, the following songs are now available On-Demand.

Knife Party – Centipede
The Prodigy – Nasty
Rival Sons – Electric Man (Live)
Rival Sons – Keep on Swinging (Live)
Rival Sons – Pressure and Time (Live)
Zedd – Stache

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
My $20 2nd guitar came in yesterday, HOLY CRAP do these things break down quickly. I hadn't noticed how bad the buttons, strum bar, and whammy had gotten on my not more than a month old original guitar until I played a few songs on the brand new guitar. Night and day difference, I didn't have fight the buttons to get them to press and all the really fast strummy metal parts were a breeze. I'd highly suggest anyone that really likes the game to keep an eye out for cheap replacement guitars because they wear down super fast it seems.

Also while I'm talking about guitar hero the "progression" in GHTV is a bit undercooked; you get status point to increase your level, status points are awarded depending how you place in the song, 1st-10th; you buy guitar upgrades to increase your score which then increases your 1-10 rank allowing you to get more status points and level up faster; at level 20 you stop getting status points, thus making all the upgrades moot. In other words you compete to raise levels faster but the faster you get through the levels the faster you are making all of your upgrades obsolete.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 10, 2015

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo the new update has a crazy vs. mode that pops up in GHTV. Game continues to improve.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Can you pick opponents?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Any new tunes this week

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Kinda sorta patch notes for the new update.

https://community.guitarhero.com/community/freestylegames/blog/2015/12/14/rival-challenges

quote:

Hey Everyone,
Jamie Jackson here. I’ve missed you all deeply, but what can I say? Guitar Hero Live has been out in the wild for more than a month now, and we’ve been working very hard to make sure we’re fine tuning the game. We honestly couldn’t be happier with the response. The community is growing. You’re FC’ing tracks faster than we could’ve ever imagined, and you’re playing more music than we can keep up with. And we love it!
Which brings us to our first big update for GHTV. We’ve received lots of feedback in the forums about what you want to see next. Something that came up quite frequently was head-to-head multiplayer. Another was showing off your playercards and note highways to others. And we heard you.
Starting today, when you pop into the GHTV channels, you’ll experience what we are calling Rival Challenges. As you play through the channels, you will periodically be matched up against a similar-skilled opponent to square off, 1-on-1 style, in a song battle to test your skills. Here’s how it works:
To unlock Rival Challenges, you will need to be level 10 or higher. We decided this because once you hit level 10, you will have gained access to Guitar Upgrades and accumulated some Hero Powers, which we think introduces fun and interesting layers of competition.
Rival Challenges will occur twice in every half-hour show. The song choices will be picked by us, so you’ll always need to be ready!
Your opponent will be of relatively close skill level, paired with you through our underlying matchmaking technology.
The winner of each battle earns an extra +100 Status XP, along with bragging rights of course.
Another bonus is showing off the personalisation items you’ve earned in GHTV. When a battle kicks off, both you and your opponent will see each other’s playercard and note highway on screen.
So jump in and let us know what you think!
Additionally, we’ve added the ability to mark a song as a “favorite” so that you can revisit your most beloved songs. You can do so either directly in the on-demand catalog, or after you play a song in a channel. These tracks will now be marked in the catalog with a “heart” icon, and you can filter the list as you normally do if you just want to see your favorites.
Plus, we’re now gifting players who have depleted their song play tokens. If you log into GHTV with zero plays, we’re giving you a daily reward of three plays so that you can play whichever tracks you want on-demand.
Beyond that, I hope you’re gearing up for some much needed holiday rest. We’ll have some great holiday-themed shows coming up in GHTV, so keep an eye out for some awesome playable Christmas favourites coming your way.
With love and rock,
Jamie

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Lariat posted:

Also while I'm talking about guitar hero the "progression" in GHTV is a bit undercooked; you get status point to increase your level, status points are awarded depending how you place in the song, 1st-10th; you buy guitar upgrades to increase your score which then increases your 1-10 rank allowing you to get more status points and level up faster; at level 20 you stop getting status points, thus making all the upgrades moot. In other words you compete to raise levels faster but the faster you get through the levels the faster you are making all of your upgrades obsolete.

Don't you at least earn plays faster by being leveled up?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Don't you at least earn plays faster by being leveled up?

From the best I can tell level has no affect on coin accruity.

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Guitar-Hero-Live-Currency-System-and-In-Game-Purchases/

Not sure if it'll copy/paste well.

Coin Reward or Multiplier
Finish the whole song 100
Hot Start 20
3 Stars 10
4 Stars 15
5 Stars 20
10 Note streak 15
50 Note streak 25
100 Note streak 15
Song Intensity 1x Multiplier
Song Intensity 1.1x Multiplier
Song Intensity 1.2x Multiplier

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My first online score dual has me play against somebody that has a score of zero, yet is hitting every note. They finish with a full combo and beat me, so I lose... yet on the stat screen I had a larger streak than them. That made no loving sense at all.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
System of a Down Premium Show

System of a Down – Aerials
System of a Down – Lonely Day
System of a Down – B.Y.O.B.
Weezer: Live at iHeartRadio Theater & YouTube Space L.A.

Weezer – Undone – The Sweater Song (Live)
Weezer – Thank God for Girls (Live)
Weezer – Say It Ain’t So (Live)
Queen Premium Show

Queen – Fat Bottomed Girls
Queen – Hammer to Fall
Queen – I Want to Break Free
Interesting to note that all three shows are single artist ones, and that for the first time in GHTV we have two single artist shows that aren’t live concerts. In addition to these Premium Shows, the following songs are now available On-Demand:

Ashley Clark – Greyhound
Carrie Underwood – Good Girl
Eric Church – Creepin’
Five Finger Death Punch – Jekyll and Hyde
Grizfolk – Hymnals (Live)
Grizfolk – The Struggle (Live)
Grizfolk – Troublemaker (Live)
Motionless in White – Break the Cycle
Of Mice & Men – Broken Generation

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 16, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
that is a really nice selection of new songs

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Awesome songs.

So is rival mode actually live or is it playing against someone's previous effort?

Not that I would've ever known if I hadn't had to look up what that triangle meant.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Sono posted:

Awesome songs.

So is rival mode actually live or is it playing against someone's previous effort?

Not that I would've ever known if I hadn't had to look up what that triangle meant.

you play against someone live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Is it just me or is the Queen premium show kind of unfair score-wise? I was getting like 99% on the songs, with maybe 2 or 3 dropped notes and it was placing me in 4th or 5th for each song, with the AI winner showing up as having low 90s in their percentages but a much higher score.

I do have a bunch of the guitar upgrades too for multipliers and score but I was still way behind them.

• Locked thread