Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
The victim seemed like a man of means and status; maybe there is some useful gossip about him at the society club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
I had a theory about the note but it didn't seem to work. The relevant facts are that there is at most one capital letter in every column, and there's an oddly mispelled word `spiript'.

What I figured was that the positions of the capital letters were supposed to encode which letters to choose from the words in the note. So perhaps the person writing the note wanted to encode the letter p with the word spirit, (or script), but then realized they couldn't put a capital letter in the right position, so they substituted the letter. Unfortunately this theory didn't actually match up with the actual message in a nice way. There are also more words in the note than there are columns, but not that many more.

The other thing I'm wondering about the note is, who wrote it? It seems reasonable that the mistress with a jealous boyfriend would communicate in code, but the partially deciphered note is kind of macabre and threatening, which is not what I'd expect. My hunch is that it's not her who wrote it, but then who?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

The Merry Marauder posted:

Goddammit.

Reading down from every fifth character (counting spaces) in the coded text:

meet roger gold noon sixth mint out cox

Is "gold" Roger's surname or a goal? Is it Thornberry?

Wow, nice find. That's a devious bit of steganography right there. I think we should now assume that the decrypted message is a red herring. In this case the reason there was the typo `spirpt' is that it was the encoded message that mattered, and so it went unnoticed.

Can we get lookups for the London mint, and Cox?

So, here's a theory: The victim and Roger were part of a conspiracy to rob the London mint. There's a third conspirator who might be Minnie (the note refers to Roger in the third person). They were digging a tunnel a little bit each day, hence the victim's regular departures from the cigar shop and the stains on Roger's clothes. Presumably the plan went wrong when Roger discovered that Minnie and the victim were romantically involved (and possibly going to cut him out of the loot?). This seems to fit the facts we have, granted there's a lot of conjecture here.

And finally, a little bit of metagame evidence: (should I spoiler tag things from the original stories?) The conspiracy is similar to the conspiracy in the red-headed league, and the victim had red hair.

Edit: Actually, the victim didn't seem like the kind of person who was used to manual labor, so he probably wasn't doing any digging.

Edit2:

I don't quite see how you can turn "left" onto Borough High St from the Bridge House Hotel, as the entrance must be on Montague, so it could be directions from his other lodgings. It would be singular if his need for cigars and chess were so strong he would cross the Thames for them immediately from the train station. I imagine it's a lot to ask for, but can we get a lookup for Boardinghouses, Hotels, and Inns (in SE London)? Perhaps one will leap out that would fit a left onto Borough High better.

On the other side of things, we might want to visit/look into things around 20 WC (Simpson's Cigar Shop), since the victim's daily 4:45 appointment could be nearby. It would again be strange if he traveled across the river every day just to kill time before the theater. The directions may, in fact, be to that appointment and not the cigar shop, though Villiers isn't really a long street.

Looking at the map, the only building that seems to fit besides London Bridge Station is 7 SE.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 30, 2015

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Wow, yeah, that certainly invites a visit to the bank.

And apparently there is a boardinghouse in 7 SE alongside the social club; I guess the question is which lead to check first?

I agree that both look promising. My personal preference is for 7 SE because I'm still very curious about the victim himself, and we might find a clue about him there. If we're really lucky we might find another note in his effects.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's... not what I expected, I have to admit.

So. The main obstacle to concluding this case right here and now is, I would say, that we lack any direct evidence that it was Roger who killed our victim. It's certainly a plausible series of events, but there is no evidence that we have that clearly proves he knew about their rendezvous.

This is my feeling as well. I'd be down to see what Porlock has to say but I fear he wouldn't tell us anything we don't already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually, sorry for overlooking this - it's been a busy week, what with it almost being the holidays and all. But the game is afoot once more!

My first thought whenever priceless paintings and the theft thereof are involved is the possibility that one or more of the stolen paintings are fakes. It's a classic trope at this point, but it's a possibility, and I'm not just saying that because of BBC's Sherlock! :v: I have no basis for suggesting it at this point, but I'd like to at least keep in mind the possibility that the discovered paintings are not genuine, and that the theft is a cover-up in order to prevent embarrassment or to commit insurance fraud. I'm also reminded of Moriarty's taste for expensive artwork... he had some hanging around in his office at the university that he couldn't possibly afford if he wasn't secretly a criminal mastermind, for example.

It may also be that one of the other paintings are fake, and that one of the other owners realized this (Smedley, perhaps) and wanted to stop the exhibition from opening and exposing this fact. Or he wanted the priceless paintings to himself. The same goes for any of the other owners.

I think we should look up and then visit the National Gallery, to see if there's any material evidence or testimony to be gathered from the crime scene.

I had similar thoughts. Can we get a lookup on the curator, Brady Norris? He was the one who first learned about the auction.

• Locked thread