Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Wow that was actually quite sad. I don't know why I didn't expect that, these kinds of spirit-possession stories usually have tragic beginnings.

That was very well done. The filter or whatever it was over the whole show looked so cool, and the blurry effect during some of the scenes went well with it. Also when it comes to spooky things, I love most of all listening to the sound effects and music. I especially liked the sound of the papers being attached to the walls for some reason, and then transforming images on them too.

The second act actually creeped me out a bit when the lady of the clan started freaking out and the dead girls mouth opened up. And then the third act was pretty badass. The medicine peddler seems like a more hardcore version of Ginko, got the cool medicine backpack mixed in with supernatural mojo. Good stuff, can't wait for the proper show now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I want to hug my cats now :(

I had no idea what this was about so watching it with a cat in my lap was quite fun :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: callbacks
It's been a while since I watched the series all the way to the end so my memory is a little vague on the last story but I was thinking there were analogues for Bakeneko characters in that one since iirc it's a re-imagining of the original Bakeneko arc (I guess that's kind of a spoiler so covering it up) but maybe Kayo was the only one and I'm just misremembering. I usually run out of steam about mid-way when I rewatch the series so I've watched the first three arcs more than the last two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Re: callbacks
It's been a while since I watched the series all the way to the end so my memory is a little vague on the last story but I was thinking there were analogues for Bakeneko characters in that one since iirc it's a re-imagining of the original Bakeneko arc (I guess that's kind of a spoiler so covering it up) but maybe Kayo was the only one and I'm just misremembering. I usually run out of steam about mid-way when I rewatch the series so I've watched the first three arcs more than the last two.

i know there are parallels between the two. a character that looks like Kayo shows up and there might even be a woman like Tamaki too. of course the last arc occupies a weird place in the story since it's set around the 1920's, rather than the Edo Period like the rest of the series.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kayo kind of rules if you think about it, she's the only one other than the medicine seller who does something useful. I'm glad they keep brining her back.

As cool as the Mononoke segment of Ayakashi is, all of the changes they made going into the series itself are changes for the better. All the elements that make the series so good are in Bakeneko, but it doesn't end up having the same kind of impact. I'm currious to hear what yall think after watching the series proper.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh, another small detail i loved: Sato the head housekeeper blushing upon meeting the Medicine Seller. it's probably not a wink to the audience portion that would share the reaction, but i have over time started to kinda see it as that. or at least i've become aware of people sharing Sato's feelings on the matter lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol he definitely threw some charm at her in that scene

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Mononoke's OP is not as dope, but still interesting and fun.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I see we're not holding any punches in the first arc. Whole lotta baby killing to start things off.

I really dig the facial expressions in this show. Also love the design of the medicine peddler (does he get a name?). He's really creepy looking for being the hero of our story. Dude definitely looks like a vampire.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He never has a name beyond Medicine Seller/Kusuriuri.

I really like the use of sound, especially in the first episode. The rain pattering on umbrellas, creaking stairs as the landlady walks down off-screen, the children running and laughing, etc. The page-turning effect to indicate the transition into the past is neat as well.

When I watch this I always feel like I'm probably missing a lot of stuff, like if the images on the walls signify something, or the use of film techniques that I don't understand enough to appreciate. I think that's why it's so re-watchable because there's always a little more I'll get out of it each time.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 29, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Tell me... what do you truly fear?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

That was a nice boat to go along with a nice story.

I just love the music in this show. The parts where evil starts coming in sounds like a boss fight theme or something.

Also every time the ED music starts playing, I swear it's some other song based on the piano. I don't know where it's from but it's going to bug me until I figure out what it reminds me of.

That epilogue was mysterious as gently caress... wonder if it'll come back or just one of those things you're meant to think about.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I found this while I was looking at gifs on tumblr but the source link to the original artist was broken :(

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The scenes where the sword unsheathes are my favorites I think.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When compared to the battle in the original segment the unsheathing scenes in the series itself are way shorter, also more amazing. So good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i watched Zashikiwarashi recently and skipped over it for the time being, but forgot to post about Umibozu at all so

i always liked that it had a larger, more involved cast than the previous stories, especially with the minstrel as both a foil for the Medicine Seller and a glaring "hey, did you notice we styled the show after kamishibai and theatre?" call-out. i must've missed the giant Klimt-esque painting before, but having it in the same episode that references Escher is cool. the body horror is another thing i forgot about this arc but it's really excellent/disgusting. at this point in the rewatch it's my favorite arc, definitely very strong visually. it experiments in cool ways (the lightning strike, boat architecture and color, some loose animation)and has great atmosphere with things like the creaking ship and blue room scenes. there's a little bit of obtuse stuff i wish i could get though, like the finale, legfish, and post-credit scene.

the ED is growing on me a lot this time, especially when they fade it in during the episode

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 3, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

almost forgot it was mononoke night, here we go

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well it was actually kind of a strange arc, because while it's pretty straightforward in execution...there's not necessarily a Mononoke? i remember liking it a lot even on first view though, since it gives the Medicine Seller a strong opponent that he can actually interact with, whereas earlier opponents were animalistic or too young. not much else i can think of atm

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I liked seeing him go 1v1 with the masked guy, was a nice contrast to how he usually solves problems.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like the end of that arc :unsmith:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah! this was another great one! weird how the Chiaki Konaka arcs are some of the strongest, huh?? :cheeky:
i've been really itching for winter to set in, so the quiet, snowy atmosphere was something i especially enjoyed. the use of color as in connection to life isn't groundbreaking but looks really nice, especially contrasted with the b/w stuff that reminded me of charcoal drawings. color emphasis on the Mononoke's manifestations and Medicine Seller are also cool, which also emphasizes their otherworldliness next to the muted palette suitors. though, each of them has a colored object as a nice nod to the finale. the seemingly antagonistic role the Medicine Seller takes is one of my favorite aspects and he gets some great lines because of it.

ah...just some quick other things that really made the arc enjoyable: lots of cute dog, a horde of not-so-cute-dogs, the red ghosts oozing out of the walls, the sudden cut away from the fight climax (i laughed), and the field of graves. there were some really nice sound moments too, mainly the stabbed neck intercut and graveyard screaming, but the trademark "ominous croak" was used really well too.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

drat this may be my favorite one so far. i love how the medicine seller interacts with all the side characters, and the three stooges from this arc were really fun to watch. seeing the medicine seller mess with all of them was cool and i'm glad it turned out they were already dead to begin with.

also did not see that twist coming at all, i love how i'm always surprised by how the mononoke turns out.

seconding what dogsicle said about the sound, the initial murder of jissonji was really well done. i also had a good laugh at the cut to breaking the wooden log :)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since I usually run out of steam before getting to this arc I'd forgotten most of it, so it was fun to watch not remembering the twist at first. Really like the ink-wash look of the backgrounds and the way color is used like everyone else said. This arc to me feels like the most straight-up horror vs the ones that are more like ghost stories, especially the second half. The transformation in this one is really good, too. I think this arc is a lot of fun but it probably isn't my favorite -- Noppera Bou is still in that spot, because even though it's probably visually one of the weaker ones I like the intimacy of the story and setting and how it ends.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

final arc hype!

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

ya know i made it all the way to about half way through the final episode before i realized "hey wait, this is definitely not the same time period as the rest of the series..."

that's a great idea to use for the final arc. really shows what the vendor's been saying about how mononoke are a part of life and always will be. that was a pretty strong arc to close out the series. we got a nice callback to the show that spawned this one by revisiting the goblin cat, and it came packaged in a nice murder-mystery which i enjoy. overall great series, and very unique too.

also i'm pretty sure that was the OP song that ichikawa was listening to while writing her article, which was a cool easter egg.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey with the chat thread closed for a while it's a great time for people to catch up!

Some details I liked (kinda live-blogging this post as I watch each episode instead of trying to remember things later)
-All the period-setting stuff like the sliding doors changing to match the more modern setting, using mannequins for the faceless crowd and having them modeling western clothes, the photo effect, telephones - modern devices, further setting this arc apart from the others.
-The bloody corpse visible against the wall in a brief flash through the windows as the train is moving, pretty classic horror image
-Kusuriuri's entrance into the train car :swoon: and another blushing older lady lol. It also cracked me up they called him a sandwich man but also showed how out of place he was, that no one even recognized his day job anymore.
-The little nod the scales gave Chiyo :3:
-The poster of the lady with a cat :3:
-Each character taking on a color as they fell under the Bakeneko's influence -- I felt like as the arc progressed rather than being set apart from the previous arcs (which the emphasis on trappings of the time period had done early on), it started calling back to the past arcs with familiar motifs like this; stuff like the ink-wash look and little ribbon breeze in one of the flashbacks, the subway wall mural art, etc. maybe to show that things weren't quite as changed as they seemed to be.
- cat army :3:
-The build-up of tension right at the end of episode 11, so good
-The Bakeneko finally showing what happened like in the original one
-They went all out with the transformation, also this is the only time the paper seals show up in this arc at all
-It's cool how the ticking clock, photo snaps, and telephone sound effects become more significant at the end when all the pieces are coming together and the timing of all the events is made clear.
-It was nice that the epilogue seemed to indicate that the witnesses came forward and justice was served
-

If somebody was terribly inclined they could probably write a bunch of words about how each of these stories features female victims and quite a bit of violence against women. I don't think I'm informed enough to say whether or not that's meant to be cultural commentary or perhaps a feature of the sorts of ghost stories each of these arcs was based on or maybe some of both, I dunno. It's probably telling that the arc with the fewest casualties was also the one where the woman was the least victimized -- going willingly to her death vs being horribly murdered anyway :v:

This is one of my favorite anime series so it doesn't take much excuse for me to watch at least parts of it again but it's been quite a while since I went all the way through to the end and had other people to talk about it with so I really enjoyed this being part of the simulwatch.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I just caught up with the Ayakashi arc and wow, that was intense. It was really pretty and got pretty emotional. Going to watch a few episodes of Mononoke now

...I miss my cat :(

e. man, this art-style is really something

Knorth fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 7, 2015

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
God, I love when animated stuff doesn't just try to make something look real, it's half the reason I end up liking SHAFT shows so much, not to mention things like Paprika. All the stylistic touches in the first episode were great, it's so drat colourful too :love: I hope Medicine Seller doesn't lose the charm he had in the Ayakashi arc, although it's only the first ep so I'm not jumping to judge yet :)

e. that got real intense while the story of the brothel/inn was being told... I'm totally in love with the aesthetic of this show already, oh wow

Knorth fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 7, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some extra flair in the OP for these last eps, i love it when shows do that. i really like this arc both as a reference to Ayakashi/Bakeneko and a twist on the same story, where we get a happier ending. Admoon made a nice comment about the inevitability of Mononoke being reflected in the far-flung time period, which i definitely agree with. the muted color palette seems to emphasize this, in combination with the Medicine Seller's obscurity and the prevalence of Western cultural influences. there's something less fantastical, less in touch with the series' inspirations, about this modern setting where phones and cameras exist and people are transfixed by the opening of a subway line. the writing segments were probably my favorite of the episode, both as a reveal of character monologues/dialogue and for the moment when the paper that is being written on slowly burns up. it seems like each unsheathing has some unique appeal to it, and i'm glad they managed to represent the same event in six arcs without it becoming stale. this particular one has a ton of great perspective: disorienting pans around the sphere of cat eyes, foreshortening the Bakeneko arm as it stretches from the victim, and the two Medicine Sellers moving/falling opposite of each other. as the Medicine Seller attacks, the doors close and the episode comes to a great, abrupt "end."

the story itself is one i really like, though it may be predictable. it's feels like more a standard murder mystery, with the cast all being related to the crime in some way. the screaming mural scene felt a bit drawn out in the show, but it's obvious as part of a message about how responsibility can affect a community. the little boy and widow never volunteered their testimony, Chiyo lied, and the police officer took an easy answer for his case. ultimately these are resolved, but their choices to not act land them in the Bakeneko's grasp. the story also feels effective emotionally in a very simple way, just presenting the story of a woman (women, really. i feel like the widow is fleshed out enough, as well.) who is ignored, silenced, and killed by men and their interests. in contrast, the original Bakeneko hits similar notes, but does so in ways that border on melodrama. like Burrito, i don't feel particularly prepared to dive in on what the series' cast of female victims may be saying (if anything?), but thinking about this arc in particular makes me feel the women are presented pretty sympathetically. with the little bits of Mononoke related stuff that have been trickling out lately (new manga, Medicine Seller figure), the open-endedness of the ending makes me maybe a little too optimistic for a second season, but it's like he says near the end, there will always be more Mononoke to slay and exorcise.

i'll probably post the next show's schedule a bit later tonight

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

with the little bits of Mononoke related stuff that have been trickling out lately (new manga, Medicine Seller figure), the open-endedness of the ending makes me maybe a little too optimistic for a second season, but it's like he says near the end, there will always be more Mononoke to slay and exorcise.

Considering how the series was structured around 2-3 episode arcs anyway, my never-gonna-happen wish is to see some really lavish OVAs. The original time period and more ghost stories would be great as well as just letting him continue forward in time and be more and more of an anachronism. Modern-day Medicine Seller gets mistaken for a cosplayer and tourists take photos of him, lol.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Considering how the series was structured around 2-3 episode arcs anyway, my never-gonna-happen wish is to see some really lavish OVAs. The original time period and more ghost stories would be great as well as just letting him continue forward in time and be more and more of an anachronism. Modern-day Medicine Seller gets mistaken for a cosplayer and tourists take photos of him, lol.

yeah, i'd love to see a more modern arc if they could manage it as well as Bakeneko. otherwise even just a little more of the same would be great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If somebody was terribly inclined they could probably write a bunch of words about how each of these stories features female victims and quite a bit of violence against women. I don't think I'm informed enough to say whether or not that's meant to be cultural commentary or perhaps a feature of the sorts of ghost stories each of these arcs was based on or maybe some of both, I dunno.

There's also a lot of karmic retribution for violence against women, which I think was what the show is going for. Everyone who's killed by a mononoke deserved it and I think that's a cool touch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also did yall miss that there's gonna be a new manga based on Mononoke coming out next year? There's a very good chance that they're working on another season.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's also a lot of karmic retribution for violence against women, which I think was what the show is going for. Everyone who's killed by a mononoke deserved it and I think that's a cool touch.

Yeah, karmic retribution is a good way to say that. I had some thoughts in that direction but couldn't get them organized enough to include in my earlier post.

TBH with the new manga stuff I'm just trying to keep my expectations low and not get my hopes up for a bunch of new content. Do you have any links to info about it?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TBH with the new manga stuff I'm just trying to keep my expectations low and not get my hopes up for a bunch of new content. Do you have any links to info about it?

Nothing more than that it coming next year, sadly. I'm mostly getting my hopes up because a lot of times when stuff gets resurrected like this it shows up in Manga first, which is what happened with Mushi-Shi and Osomatsu-san.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

alright, on to the next show(s)! feel free to discuss Mononoke if you're still catching up or joining us late, but this next week will be a bit of a break/less structured for the two short series Pupipo! and Yamishibai.

Yamishibai is a 2013 TV short that received a second season in 2014 and is set to air a third at the beginning of 2016! as with Mononoke, this series takes a lot of inspiration from kamishibai and expresses this through limited animation and a more subtle paper texture. each 3 minute episode standalone and the stories run the gamut from more traditional yurei to modern urban legends. both seasons are on Crunchyroll (link in the OP) and since it's an anthology series, feel free to watch at your own pace and in whatever order.

Pupipo! is a 2013 TV short based on the manga by Oshikiri Rensuke (Hi Score Girl). the series follows Wakaba, a fifth grader who is bullied because of her ability to see ghosts. one day she meets a strange, pink creature named Po, who protects her from malicious ghosts. along with her occult-obsessed friend Reiko and a boy who can see ghosts, Naoya, she tries to uncover the mystery behind Po and her ability to see ghosts. this one tells a relatively serialized, funny, and heartwarming story, so i'd recommend watching it at once if possible. it was never picked up by a streaming service so you'll have to grab it somewhere (link in the OP) but it's quite small and clocks in at under an hour.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

This yamishibai show is some good horror. Watching the first season atm.

Everytime it scares me though the ED comes in with Hatusne Miku singing and I just have to laugh.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

gently caress jump scares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

OK done with season 1 now. That was proper scary I thought. There were a couple episodes that I think were a little funny or not that scary. The toilet episode was gross as heck. And screw any story involving creepy girls with long black hair!! Those are my kryptonite.

Tomorrow when I watch season 2 I know to keep the lights on....

• Locked thread