Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Look how fat that arm is, obviously the artist used their own arm as drawing ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

this isn't even a flag

its a banner ad

Flags are p much banner ads

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

actually they are and nobody gives a poo poo how a bunch of soldiers use the jargon of their profession to distinguish themselves from other soldiers when they're talking about soldier stuff to other soldiers so shut the gently caress up you weirdo

they're not, though, because a soldier is by definition a member of the army, and marines are not part of the army.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

sexy lady: "hey sailor"
tactical urban homo: "technically, ma'am, the vessels currently in use by our armed forces are no longer powered by wind"
me, cutting in: "THAT'S RIGHT BITCH I'M A MOTOR BOATER" *shoves face in her tits and thrashes around all like bbbbbbubububbuubbubububb!!!

why would I say that when it's nonsensical? sailors are by definition members of the navy so if she calls me a sailor she's completely right. if she called me a marine, though, she'd be wrong, because while the marine corps is a subset of the navy I am not and never have been part of it.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

they're not, though, because a soldier is by definition a member of the army, and marines are not part of the army.

do you not see that it's weird to get pedantic about this in a conversation about a political cartoon, or really ever when regular people are talking about soldiers? I am honestly asking

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

do you not see that it's weird to get pedantic about this in a conversation about a political cartoon, or really ever when regular people are talking about soldiers? I am honestly asking

nobody's talking about soldiers, though. you're just using a word that means one thing to refer to something else and seem really weirdly averse to admitting to the error or even just tacitly accepting the correction and moving on.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ok guys break it up no one needs to see this. Now gimme 20 hoo-rahs and make up

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

nobody's talking about soldiers, though. you're just using a word that means one thing to refer to something else and seem really weirdly averse to admitting to the error or even just tacitly accepting the correction and moving on.

ok so what you're saying is that you don't see how it's weird to get pedantic about a soldier in a cartoon

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Loden Taylor posted:

"thanks for volunteering to defend my right to sit" [continues to sit]

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

ok so what you're saying is that you don't see how it's weird to get pedantic about a soldier in a cartoon

I think it's weird to desperately try to make the conversation about something it's not about because you're terrified of conceding a simple error

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I think it's weird to desperately try to make the conversation about something it's not about because you're terrified of conceding a simple error

except if you look up the actual dictionary definition of soldier you will see that it's a perfectly acceptable term to use as the generic term for any member of the armed forces

miriam webster posted:

1 a : one engaged in military service and especially in the army

So yeah the whole army thing is the subject of emphasis, not a definitional requirement, especially not in casual conversations where the distinction isn't actually important. So feel free to save your breath in the future when other people use the word soldier colloquially to refer to anyone who looks like a military person because it's actually not incorrect.

e: checked around just for kicks, since dictionaries are hilariously political (Authority and American Usage is a good essay)

dictionary.com posted:

1. a person who serves in an army; a person engaged in military service.

So, a parallel definition, not even necessarily emphasizing the army part depending on its use

American Heritage dictionary posted:

1. One who serves in an army.

aah here we are, this is the dictionary for you

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 17, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
so two out of three of the definitions you chose correctly define the word as someone who is part of an army. the marine corps is not part of the army. I'm glad you were able to clear this up for yourself.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

proof of concept posted:

except if you look up the actual dictionary definition of soldier you will see that it's a perfectly acceptable term to use as the generic term for any member of the armed forces

So yeah the whole army thing is the subject of emphasis, not a definitional requirement, especially not in casual conversations where the distinction isn't actually important. So feel free to save your breath in the future when other people use the word soldier colloquially to refer to anyone who looks like a military person because it's actually not incorrect.

e: checked around just for kicks, since dictionaries are hilariously political (Authority and American Usage is a good essay)

So, a parallel definition, not even necessarily emphasizing the army part depending on its use

aah here we are, this is the dictionary for you

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

so two out of three of the definitions you chose correctly define the word as someone who is part of an army. the marine corps is not part of the army. I'm glad you were able to clear this up for yourself.

two out of three definitions I chose correctly indicate that the term is acceptable to use as a colloquial descriptor for anyone in the armed forces regardless of the particular branch :eng101:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
theryre al troops

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

two out of three definitions I chose correctly indicate that the term is acceptable to use as a colloquial descriptor for anyone in the armed forces regardless of the particular branch :eng101:

so you're back to thinking the word soldier is interchangeable with sailor. okay.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I think it's possible I am being trolled. okay, you brutally owned me by convincing me you're too stupid to understand really basic terminology that even functionally illiterate grunts can understand. ha ha, joke's on me, for thinking you are as dumb as you are deliberately presenting yourself to be.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

personally i call everyone everywhere a soldier even so called civilians becase we are all fighting to live, and love, every day

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

good work soldier, to all itt

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
one nation, Hail Satan, indivisible...

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

so you're back to thinking the word soldier is interchangeable with sailor. okay.

you were making a big deal over definitions so I went to the dictionary websites and typed in "soldier" bucko and surprise surprise you can use it as a general term

the dumb sailor joke was about you being a pedant for no reason :flashfap:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lonesomedwarf posted:

personally i call everyone everywhere a soldier even so called civilians becase we are all fighting to live, and love, every day

"NO! NO@! THIS IS WRONG YOU ARE WRONG!!!" - tactical urban homo

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
like any obsession with institutions of order, people obsessed with the military often become fixated on definitions of lingo that refer to anything military, any deviation by the common folk, despite being a valid colloquial reference, will trigger the trigger to end all triggers. A SNAFU, if you will. Just FUBAR.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

if you decide that you want to go overseas and kill browns for AMERIKKKA and one of your legs gets blown off then it is your drat fault.

but really vets should get better medical treatment, i mean they are people too

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Whenever I want to own liberals I just quote one great philosopher.

The choice is not self-sacrifice or domination. The choice is independence or dependence. The code of the creator or the code of the second-hander. This is the basic issue. It rests upon the alternative of life or death. The code of the creator is built on the needs of the reasoning mind which allows man to survive. The code of the second-hander is built on the needs of a mind incapable of survival. All that which proceeds from man’s independent ego is good. All that which proceeds from man’s dependence upon men is evil.

Same

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

proof of concept posted:

you were making a big deal over definitions so I went to the dictionary websites and typed in "soldier" bucko and surprise surprise you can use it as a general term

the dumb sailor joke was about you being a pedant for no reason :flashfap:

shut the hell up dude, seriously

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

hello

can I be that guy?

Soldier noun | sol·dier | \ˈsōl-jər\ : a person who is in the military

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Moridin920 posted:

defending the right to be forced to stand and recite a fascist pledge of allegiance to the state every weekday since 5 years old

lmao

For those of you who just got woke, most of what Americans think of as "freedom" is fascism you're not allowed to question.

Ask your professor with a beard for more info.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yay, marine chat

This pedantic chat is the reason they are the most favoritest branch according to the other branches

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

"NO! NO@! THIS IS WRONG YOU ARE WRONG!!!" - tactical urban homo

actually that's fine because he's obviously not using the term to identify literal soldiers, or rather not using it to misidentify marines as literal soldiers. once again it's really weird how upset you're getting over having a perfectly understandable error corrected.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm actually going to say this one isn't bad, although I disagree with the spirit in which it was drawn

mdm posted:

like any obsession with institutions of order, people obsessed with the military often become fixated on definitions of lingo that refer to anything military, any deviation by the common folk, despite being a valid colloquial reference, will trigger the trigger to end all triggers. A SNAFU, if you will. Just FUBAR.

yeah I made a one-word correction obviously I'm literally shaking.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

nice argument about marine soldiers faggots

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
True Story: OP is my brother.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jebediah posted:

True Story: OP is my brother.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

concerned mom posted:

Look how fat that arm is, obviously the artist used their own arm as drawing ref

And his tiny baby hand, too.

Which state hands out hybrid cars to poors? Christie vetoed that bill, I think.

Look at how miserable the yuppie on the left is compared to how indifferent the one on the right is, glad to see this comic is realistic in its portrayal of '50s America as hell on Earth.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 17, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
too bad i can't knock down that strawman cuz he already been knocked down!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nomadologique posted:

too bad i can't knock down that strawman cuz he already been knocked down!!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm clicking but it doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

multiply bankrupt businessman, ignorant doctor, failed ceo

good jerb guys

• Locked thread