Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The handicapped symbol is getting a makeover!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/peppier-handicapped-symbol-gets-support-but-problems-remain/ar-AAfvZw4?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

quote:

HARTFORD, Conn. — The ubiquitous handicapped symbol that marks parking spaces, building entrances and restrooms around the world is getting an update, a modernization that emphasizes ability rather than disability.

What started as a street art project has grown into official acceptance. Yet, the restyled logo has been rejected by some who favor the familiar rigid stick-figure design, which has become one of the most recognizable in the world over the past 40 years.

Comparison:

Personally I think the new symbol looks like a guy falling backwards into a hole, but the old one looked like a half human/wheelchair monster. Either way, I'm pretty sure goons can do better!

Here's my submission:

I gave the handicapped guy cool tank-tread feet and a laser eye so he can be badass even though he's handicapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
drat that person is ON THE GO, i think ti's a little odd bc most ppl i have seen in wheelchairs are not actively racing somewhere?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i can see that being the sign for a wheelchair race, to keep bystanders from getting into the race lane, but for your avg wheelchair bound invididual?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Excuse me please do not use the term handicapped.

I believe the correct term is invalid.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Personally I think the new symbol looks like a guy falling backwards into a hole, but the old one looked like a half human/wheelchair monster. Either way, I'm pretty sure goons can do better!
Yeah, my initial thought was "Wait, is he falling into a toilet?"

This is not a good change.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
f

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Stay safe rowdy wheel chair man.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

In this one, the handicapped man is laying down some sweet dunks against a "normal" person, showcasing just what it means to be a modern handicapped man on the go.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Comparison:

that guy is hauling rear end. i dont think i like it. the other guy is relaxed and just having a good time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i mean just slow down buddy. it's all good

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
While I can understand the symbolic point of making the handicap symbol more handicapable, it's such a recognizable symbol as is and the new one just looks so cheesy.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the handiCAPABLE logo

*&^%$#@! narcissism

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I work at the Institute for the Near-sighted and I don't think it's funny to use a blue swastika. :mad:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

that guy is hauling rear end. i dont think i like it. the other guy is relaxed and just having a good time.

The other guy looks like he died in his chair and no one has noticed yet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
"Some disability rights activists believe the new symbol implies prejudice toward people with serious disabilities.

"The old symbol leaves everything up to the imagination," said Cathy Ludlum, a Connecticut disability rights activist who has a neuromuscular disorder and controls her motorized wheelchair by using three fingers. "The new symbol seems to say that independence has everything to do with the body, which it isn't. Independence is who you are inside.""

Yeah this was another thought i had when I saw the new symbol, like it seems like it would almost be even more discriminatory to the least mobile of handicapped people. Imagine waking up in a hospital bed after a horrific accident paralyzed from the neck down and getting rolled in a wheelchair past one of these updated signs.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

The first one be all Weekend At Bernie's

The second one be all Premium Rush

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I bet the new sign makes quadriplegics feel like poo poo

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

how y'all even get that fat

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I used to be crippled, but then I got possessed by a demon and now I'm a dancin' fool! :dance:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

air national lard

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

p. deece

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

handicapable

If they were capable of anything useful we wouldn't have to call them handicapped.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Woo-hoo, a crippled person in italics

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

sry aw i didn't mean it jus t a visual gag if u will

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This is some political correctness millennial bullshit.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

e: had the colours wrong

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 16, 2015

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Someone took leg day a little too seriously

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

corpuscollossus posted:

Someone took leg day a little too seriously

Yeah, turkey leg day.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
dont be handicrapped

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I may have misunderstood the OP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

jesus christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not so active anymore are you punk

• Locked thread