Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I bought this game on gog ages ago, never played it. I want to play it before watching the lp but I'm rather spooked by it :ohdear:

edit: goddamn it I missed the sword!

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also if anyone is looking to get the game, it's a whooping $1 at GMG: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/realms-haunting/ (some of the screenshots are spoilers for later areas, so be warned). I think there's also a 20% off coupon so you can bust it down to .80.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I went ahead and bought a copy, then realized I already owned it on Steam. It's finally happened, I have so many Steam games I can't even remember them anymore.

So here's a free Steam code, please mention if you grab it so I can edit the post. taken!

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 29, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks! Activated, really appreciate it. This looks like fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm digging this. Hope to see more soon.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
SGF wasn't kidding about the control scheme. I started replaying this and there's one segment where you need to crouch and look down at the same time, and use an item. This means I have one finger on left ctrl, one finger on page down, and somehow have to reach the mouse to actually click the object. Jesus!

However it turns out GOG has a patch to convert the UK version into the US version, which does allow you to remap keys.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I never got that patch to work for me. I always had to just do it through DOSbox.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
There was an attempted LP of this a while ago. I don't know what happened to it. I just remember seeing a little farther into the game.

This game doesn't look "good." But it has all of that over-ambitious fun, where you can tell the people making it had large idea that just didn't translate well. It'll be nice to see how the game progresses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's... not bad, really. The controls take some getting used to but you'll be swearing at the puzzles and mazes instead of them in no time. I still found the game enjoyable around 2013.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.3 - The MacGuffining - Youtube | Download

Supplement - Youtube | Download

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Rebecca, please. Waving your gun around needlessly is how you'll escape Bug Island.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
When you were looking at the shards in the supplementary video, it looks like the Fallen Angel option opened a new option, Demons, that you didn't click on (spoilered just in case, though it's not really a big deal).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The skullstaff is utterly fantastic and will continue to be useful even in the endgame.
Regarding the monsters' weird penchant for stashing ammo, there could be a reason for it but that's for later.

Also Camber is such a wonderfully hammy actor. He'll only get better too.

edit: Okay, the ancient shotgun shells are stretching it. Theoretically possible.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 31, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Considering that the green button on the wall where we met Aelf obviously is screwed to the wall and has a cable running down and the secret pathway to the underground starts on the second floor of a mansion, the whole complex must has been renovated in the last 100 years.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love how slow and careful Cutscene Adam is. He'll be trotting around at top speed shotgunning robots without a glance at anything, but the instant he runs into a cutscene he's sloooooowly kneeling down, caaaaarefully reaching out to gently and lovingly investigate that skeleton.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
You went back for the delicious-looking floor potion! This is the finest LP ever.

It looks happy in its new home!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Zombie Samurai posted:

IndieGala Store is giving away free copies of Realms of the Haunting today!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's something in my brain that just can't get around the idea of SGF playing something that appears to be a legitimately good game. (Well, at least now that he's remapped those awful-looking controls)

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Sweet, another SGF LP where the protagonist compulsively smashes/pushes things!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

anilEhilated posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Hey thanks for this! I just remapped my keys to something (more) sensible and am now punching mirrors with reckless abandon.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This is definitely the point where the game got very interesting for me, when Adam and Rebecca started talking about (almost) everything. I think I retreaded the part of the house that I already had been at just to hear Rebecca's comments on some of the stuff you can look at.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

xoFcitcrA posted:

You went back for the delicious-looking floor potion! This is the finest LP ever.

It looks happy in its new home!

Thanks for going back for this SGF, I can sleep soundly again tonight.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So can you take the psychic into the death hall? I'm assuming nothing happens.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I agree with SGF. Those can't be human skeletons. They all have ears below their spines.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So can you take the psychic into the death hall? I'm assuming nothing happens.

Rub the Shrive on her and see if she explodes like AelfOlaf said she would.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 1, 2015

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Uh sorry his name is clearly ALF

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I dunno if we should trust Aleph. The last time I did a fetch quest for a schlubby fmv guy in a 90's point and click adventure game I got trapped in a book. :mad:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The moment I first saw Camber in the first part, I had a feeling he would be the wonderfully hammy type of villain that thrives in FMV games like this. Good to see my hopes were not dashed.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Octatonic posted:

I dunno if we should trust Aleph. The last time I did a fetch quest for a schlubby fmv guy in a 90's point and click adventure game I got trapped in a book. :mad:

Arf did nothing wrong. Yet. :colbert:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
This is surprisingly decent writing for a nineties-era FMV game. I wouldn't call the story an amazing masterpiece, but it's good for the time in which it was written, probably around the same level as Command and Conquer. At the very least, I haven't caught a line yet that's made me cringe involuntarily. That's got to count for something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's going to collapse near the end; the writers didn't really think everything through. Until then it's a great ride.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The control scheme is even more bizarre than SGF made it sound. If you hold down M2 it allows you to move with your mouse, but it's not strafe movement like a rational person would expect it's circle movement (i.e. it replaces the arrow keys). Oh, and the movement is analog based on the location you start holding M2 so it's really hard to use. Then if you can't reach the fire weapon button it's okay you can aim with your mouse, but it doesn't turn the camera it just is sort of adventure mode clicking and Adam swings his gun all the way over to wherever your pointing and shoots right at the spot you clicked.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
There is a way you can control the camera with your mouse, but it's very unintuitive. Basically, you have to hold down both left and right mouse buttons, but you have to start with the left button. If you do the right mouse button first, the game things you're trying to move.

Be warned though, if the mouse pointer is over something that can be interacted with or shot, you will do that action instead. I've scared the poo poo out of myself numerous times by unexpectedly shooting at a window across the room when wanting to change my view.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

After getting suspicious I can confirm that Normality used the same engine.
It's 90s as gently caress and also features 3D environments and point and click interactions. No shooting, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'll be satisfied just watching the LP, personally. I have little patience for antiquated control schemes. I tried to play Daggerfall a few years back and looked at the default key mapping and just closed the game.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Lotish posted:

I'll be satisfied just watching the LP, personally. I have little patience for antiquated control schemes. I tried to play Daggerfall a few years back and looked at the default key mapping and just closed the game.

Yeah, there's a reason why many re-releases of old shooter games have the controls re-mapped for WASD and mouselook. Because while 90's-era gaming had a lot of things to enjoy, the controls weren't one of them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Well, if the literal listing of one of the cast members "as Belial" wasn't quite hint enough, and the demonic imagery everywhere didn't do it, "The Morning Star" is another name for Satan. Fun stuff.

I can't be the only one who thinks the angel is lying, Rebecca is going to try to kill Adam (duh), and whatever Adam's doing is more likely to free the devil than free his dead dad, right?

I mean, the angelic imagery makes little sense in light of the fact that you need to get your hands branded in a demonic temple. Then again, as the game points out a billion times, Lucifer is a fallen angel, so maybe the point is that he's both the demon and the angel.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

Be warned though, if the mouse pointer is over something that can be interacted with or shot, you will do that action instead. I've scared the poo poo out of myself numerous times by unexpectedly shooting at a window across the room when wanting to change my view.

There's a reason for this that is linked to those demons SGF insta-killed. ROTH actually has locational damage, each (most?) of the enemies has a weak spot that when shot will do more damage and prompt a different death animation. Hence if you figure out the weak spots and use the mouse to aim you can save some ammo.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

chiefnewo posted:

There's a reason for this that is linked to those demons SGF insta-killed. ROTH actually has locational damage, each (most?) of the enemies has a weak spot that when shot will do more damage and prompt a different death animation. Hence if you figure out the weak spots and use the mouse to aim you can save some ammo.

Is that why he insta-gibbed a couple of those skeletons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

There is a way you can control the camera with your mouse, but it's very unintuitive. Basically, you have to hold down both left and right mouse buttons, but you have to start with the left button. If you do the right mouse button first, the game things you're trying to move.

This helps a surprising amount.

GeneX posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks the angel is lying, Rebecca is going to try to kill Adam (duh), and whatever Adam's doing is more likely to free the devil than free his dead dad, right?

You're not thinking dumb enough for a plot twist of an early FMV game. What if his dad is satan?

• Locked thread