Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
For the spergiest of spergy FF playing goons: here's a thread to talk about Individual Defensive Players.

WDIS, news, debating whether Watt is worth a 1.1 still, bitching about the meltdown that is the Miami front 7... let's have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
As far as your comment about Watt, yes. He's still the best, although I think teams are learning to double team him better and better. If loving Clowney would ever play up to his potential (how bad is his current injury anyway) he'll get free again and be running down QBs in no time.

For fill in players, I personally like to pick up high volume players on teams who's offenses can't stay on the field. Quantity over quality for tackles. What's your preferred fill in strategy? Go after bad QB matchups? Look for bad weather conditions maybe?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Anubis posted:

For fill in players, I personally like to pick up high volume players on teams who's offenses can't stay on the field. Quantity over quality for tackles. What's your preferred fill in strategy? Go after bad QB matchups? Look for bad weather conditions maybe?

Depends on the position but yeah, usually I find it's best to play matchups since there's relatively less IDPs that meet the DSYS rule overall.

For instance, with DEs / rush OLBs: anyone playing against SF is going to get a ton of points. Similarly with safeties and the Lions. For instance I just picked up Adrian Amos (Bears FS) vs the Lions to start over Morgan Burnett (who'll probably sit on the bench yet again, rubbing that hamstring and watching Hyde and Ha-Ha take his job away from him)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does anyone have a good source for IDP injury news? I check rotoworld but they often just repost tweets and stuff. There's also the NFL injury report, but that only gives a status. What I want is some insight as to whether someone who is Questionable is actually likely to play or not.

This week, for example, if I can't start Dont'a Hightower, I'm going to have to drop someone and grab a LB off waivers. Which I'd really rather not do (this is in IDP Frenzy league) because I've got good players on bye and don't want to lose them. Same with Aquib Talib.

In both cases it'd be useful just to know if, say, they practiced this week, and if so, whether they were limited or not.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm in a similar boat with Bobby Wagner who I have in the Frenzy league and an IDP league with my IRL friends. If he doesn't play I have Dumervil who is also hurt apparently and Armbrister, Posluszny's replacement in one league and David Harris and Kevin Minter in the other.

I have no idea what a good strategy is for picking up replacement linebackers. I pretty much just try for whatever the IDP guru talks about on his site, though most of them were already owned in the Frenzy league. Uani Unga was my best pickup though I sat him during his big week against the Redskins.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been filtering the list of free agents by how many solo tackles they have and just taking the top one. This strategy does not work very well.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
For streaming LB I look at whoever is playing a team that likes to rush the ball a ton or throws to the TE a lot.

Leperflesh posted:

I've been filtering the list of free agents by how many solo tackles they have and just taking the top one. This strategy does not work very well.

Also this if I'm in a bind.

Edit, this helps too:

Click on the team's opponent in Yahoo and it opens up a nice host of tools to figure out fantasy scoring against

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 17, 2015

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Leperflesh posted:

Does anyone have a good source for IDP injury news? I check rotoworld but they often just repost tweets and stuff. There's also the NFL injury report, but that only gives a status. What I want is some insight as to whether someone who is Questionable is actually likely to play or not.

Usually the local beat reporters who attend the practices can give you a good sense for that sort of thing. Search the player's name in Google News, and sort by date. Sometimes it's useful (i.e. Burnett might sit out this week and thru the bye) and sometimes it's... well, the Patriots.

You can also go the paid article route... Doc Bramel with Footballguys is invaluable when it comes to both injury assessment and IDPs, at least judging by all the free stuff (and his Twitter) that I've read.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Footballguys Podcast feed is mostly useless except for IDP Roundtable, where Dr. Jene is pretty good for what you're looking for.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dont'a Hightower is Out. I grabbed some Charger named Donald Butler. Is he good? I hope he's good.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Leperflesh posted:

Dont'a Hightower is Out. I grabbed some Charger named Donald Butler. Is he good? I hope he's good.

Ssssssorta. He's only on the field maybe 2/3rds of the time (plus some special teams play), but the matchup against GB is decent. If there's no 3-down options on the wire, he'll have to do.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't have anything to contribute but I like that this thread exists.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Professor Moriarty posted:

Ssssssorta. He's only on the field maybe 2/3rds of the time (plus some special teams play), but the matchup against GB is decent. If there's no 3-down options on the wire, he'll have to do.

He got two solos and two assists, which isn't great but is better than nothing. I won this week's matchup but would have won without him so meh.

Wilhoite was a recent acquisition for me I think, and he's been blowing up! Super pleased with that one.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Leperflesh posted:

He got two solos and two assists, which isn't great but is better than nothing. I won this week's matchup but would have won without him so meh.

Wilhoite was a recent acquisition for me I think, and he's been blowing up! Super pleased with that one.

Wilhoite was a last second add for me in my other league and was definitely a great pickup since Manti Te'o was unexpectedly inactive.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I think I'm going to blow my #1 waiver on Wilhoite. He's doing better than any offensive player I could pick up right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's a good pickup. I do not expect great production from him against Seattle - a short week, Wilson is not going to get intercepted by a linebacker, and Lynch is harder to tackle than assorted Giants and Ravens. On the other hand, Bowman and Brooks were both limited in practice yesterday (both with shoulder trouble), so Wilhoite is the #1 healthy LB on a defense that uh... well, let's say it tends to spend a lot of time on the field. So who knows.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

He's a good pickup. I do not expect great production from him against Seattle - a short week, Wilson is not going to get intercepted by a linebacker, and Lynch is harder to tackle than assorted Giants and Ravens. On the other hand, Bowman and Brooks were both limited in practice yesterday (both with shoulder trouble), so Wilhoite is the #1 healthy LB on a defense that uh... well, let's say it tends to spend a lot of time on the field. So who knows.

I figure if he can keep his tackle rate up, he'll be a solid DP flex. My offensive line up is pretty drat solid so I don't really have any needs there. Might as well use the waiver to gain positional advantage!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dont'a Hightower is apparently a gametime decision (ribs). He practiced, but last week he practiced and then didn't play. Yahoo thinks labels the matchup against the Jets as red - but it seems to me that a tough running team is more likely to generate LB tackles. If Hightower doesn't start, Jamie Collins' score probably goes up a notch or two.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Leperflesh posted:

Dont'a Hightower is apparently a gametime decision (ribs). He practiced, but last week he practiced and then didn't play. Yahoo thinks labels the matchup against the Jets as red - but it seems to me that a tough running team is more likely to generate LB tackles. If Hightower doesn't start, Jamie Collins' score probably goes up a notch or two.

So I'm hoping :)

Also Yahoo's predictions never should be paid much credence, of course

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, hightower is in and playing.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Using my #1 waiver on Wilhoite and Wake paid off so much better than any offensive player I've grabbed off the wire :allears:

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

old dog child posted:

Using my #1 waiver on Wilhoite and Wake paid off so much better than any offensive player I've grabbed off the wire :allears:

For most of the afternoon, Wake was my highest scoring player. That was interesting.

Not sure how you'll feel about Wilhoite down the line though, dude's getting blown out in coverage and that's what Hodges (who the Niners traded to get from the Vikings) does really good, so...

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I just need him to last until Kiko is back in my life

e: or I might pick up Vincent Rey again but I am also not sure what kind of knee injury he sustained e2: or is it ankle? I can't find any news on this guy

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 26, 2015

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

old dog child posted:

I just need him to last until Kiko is back in my life

e: or I might pick up Vincent Rey again but I am also not sure what kind of knee injury he sustained e2: or is it ankle? I can't find any news on this guy

Likewise, so we'll probably have to wait until Tuesday practices to see how he's doing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Up 19 pts in one league with no one left against Tyrann Mathieu and Sean Weatherspoon left for my opponent. Weatherspoon seems to have been inactive for most of the season so I just need to hope Tyrann doesn't have multiple splash plays. I have no idea how safe I am.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fletcher Cox had a really garbage game last night. He did nothing worth points for the first half, and only racked up a couple of tackles by the end. Sometimes I really hate how swingy IDP can be; this is the #2 defensive end in fantasy points in my league, going into this weeks' games. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm so glad that I picked up Telvin Smith week one when DeAndre Levy started his whole what's up with my hip??? nonsense. my defense has been carrying me in my keeper league this season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Started Telvin Smith and Reshad Jones in the Cheating for Charity league. Make it rain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Clowney had a big day. Do you guys think he's startable now?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Leperflesh posted:

Clowney had a big day. Do you guys think he's startable now?

Hard to say. Isn't Miami's o-line (along with Tannehill's awareness of the pash rush) comically bad? Haven't been watching Miami much tbh.

In other news, currently 7-0 in the 16-team dynasty w/ IDPs league that I run. What's a good gif of a villain triumphantly laughing that I could use as my team av for the duration of this week?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Honeybadger owns :getin:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Do any of you guys think QB hits should be tracked and scored? For instance Elvis Dummervil definitely made his presence known last night and messed up a few of Palmer's throws through hitting him during the throw and forcing him to throw before the hit. Yet he ended the night with just an assisted tackle as his only action that translated to points. Wouldn't tracking QB hits translate to Defensive Linemen getting points that more accurately reflect their impact on the game?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I would definitely score QB hits if I could. I would probably score them maybe between an assist and a full tackle. Like 1 for tackle, .75 for QBH, .5 for AST, for example.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd love to track and score hits and hurries. If the QB has to throw away the ball, the closest defender to him should get some credit.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Yeah, same. I like every action to be rewarded.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I would definitely score QB hits if I could. I would probably score them maybe between an assist and a full tackle. Like 1 for tackle, .75 for QBH, .5 for AST, for example.

Yeah that's where I'd put them, between solo tackles and assists. Does anywhere track those stats accurately? This is pretty much something where we're at the mercy of ESPN/Yahoo/etc I guess.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Best I think you can generally do in that direction is give points for stuffs/tackles for losses. I added points for that recently, made it roughly worth a sack, and it's definitely made DL worth paying more attention to. Helps gives rushing OLBs a bit extra value as well.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Professor Moriarty posted:

Likewise, so we'll probably have to wait until Tuesday practices to see how he's doing.

Finally found some news. Vincent Rey is back at practice so my guess is he'll start this week.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
S Mark Barron has been playing LB after Ogletree went down a couple of weeks ago. Don't think that resignation is gonna change. Between him and Khalil Mack, that means I get to roll out 4 LBs in my 2 LB/1 DL/1 DB league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Ogletree is IR-R but yeah, you're set there for awhile at least.

How many people are rolling with JPP out of desperation and/or insanity this week?

• Locked thread