Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Gonna guess his initial guess of something from a buy here pay here lot is correct - they often install something to render the vehicle inoperable in case of missed payments. They generally either have a way to enter a code every 2-4 weeks, or operate via some kind of cellular connection that checks in daily/weekly/etc.

... or I could be talking out of my rear end.

The antenna does look suspiciously like what one would expect for a lovely cellular antenna - though usually in-vehicle systems would use a sticky patch antenna like this whatsit. No visible SIM card or SIM slot, too, and an attiny definitely doesn't have enough horsepower on its own to do much with cellular - looks more like a short-range radio link to me, something like a two-way security/keyless entry system perhaps.

Of course the other chip could easily be a CDMA cellular radio chip, but I'm not seeing enough RF can for that either...

dammit meatpimp
follow the wire and solve the mystery!

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

looks more like a short-range radio link to me, something like a two-way security/keyless entry system perhaps.

Remote start, maybe? Surely a late model vehicle such as this already has alarm/keyless entry fobs from the factory?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

Remote start, maybe? Surely a late model vehicle such as this already has alarm/keyless entry fobs from the factory?

Yeah, lock/unlock fobs are standard. I'd believe something like a remote start, but anything retail I've ever seen has some type of identifiable markings on the PCB... plus, if you look at the case, it's completely generic/non-matching of the PCB. There is a button on the board for number 1, but nothing underneath 2 and 3.

I'll dig into it today.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, lock/unlock fobs are standard. I'd believe something like a remote start, but anything retail I've ever seen has some type of identifiable markings on the PCB... plus, if you look at the case, it's completely generic/non-matching of the PCB. There is a button on the board for number 1, but nothing underneath 2 and 3.

I'll dig into it today.

That could just mean "$80 chinese remote start", mind you. Case commonality is fairly, well, common (pardon the pun)

Good luck finding the box on the other end of the wire! hopefully it has some form of model number.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

That could just mean "$80 chinese remote start", mind you. Case commonality is fairly, well, common (pardon the pun)

Good luck finding the box on the other end of the wire! hopefully it has some form of model number.

Jesus gently caress. It's a remote start. So many vampire taps. Such a terrible wiring job. Makes baby Jesus puke.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wait, though... I think I see my favorite wiring-rigging of all time. How do you make a fuse holder?

Two spade connections and some electrical tape, of course! (full size for fuckery appreciation)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Nooooooooooooo

A terrible wiring job befitting of a terrible car. :munch:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cuz it's not like in-line fuse holders are actually commercially available... :ughh:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Jesus gently caress. It's a remote start. So many vampire taps. Such a terrible wiring job. Makes baby Jesus puke.

I love being right!

Jesus christ that wiring, though. MY EYES!

bolind posted:

Cuz it's not like in-line fuse holders are actually commercially available... :ughh:

The best part is that there's actually two inline fuse holders right next to the bodged one.

:munch:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 19, 2015

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Speaking of depreciation, I paid $16,000 for a 4 year old $48,000 saab 9-7x.

Meatpimp you can't go wrong with the suburban. I have a 2003 z71 and at 220,000 miles It feels the same as it did when I bought it with 80,000. Parts are cheap and plentiful. Maintenance is a piece of cake because there is so much room to work on everything. The only bad thing about it is the 15mpg at 25,000 miles a year. Going a few years later (2009 i think?) would get you a more powerful and efficient engine, and a 6 speed auto vs 4sp. fuel economy would jump to near 20. However the prices for that year and newer are still a bit high.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Really, if your going to do it and get an early 2000's Suburban, you need to get the Denali/Escalade. Not because of "bling", but you get the 6.0, which is a drat fine motor.

I don't think they put a 6.0 in regular suburbans unless it was a 3/4 ton model, which ride pretty rough.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

You Bucephalus'd me, coded my garage door and did it. Don't lie.

Oh hey I'm a verb now

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

Oh hey I'm a verb now

At least you didn't get meatpimp'd... or maybe you did. :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

At least you didn't get meatpimp'd... or maybe you did. :ohdear:
Is that the one where you wake up with a sore rear end and a crisp $20 bill you can't remember being in your wallet?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Is that the one where you wake up with a sore rear end and a crisp $20 bill you can't remember being in your wallet?

No, I think that's 14-inch'd.

I'm trying to reset the BCM, since that seems to have flaked... does the power-off / cycle ignition switch at 10-minute intervals actually work, or is it just word-of-mouth fuckery?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

No, I think that's 14-inch'd.

I'm trying to reset the BCM, since that seems to have flaked... does the power-off / cycle ignition switch at 10-minute intervals actually work, or is it just word-of-mouth fuckery?

Can confirm that works for connecting a new ECU to the BCM, or for relearning keys. I swapped ECUs in my old cobalt by programming in the VIN w/hptuners and using that procedure to reset the VATS. Not sure it does anything to actually reset the BCM.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Can confirm that works for connecting a new ECU to the BCM, or for relearning keys. I swapped ECUs in my old cobalt by programming in the VIN w/hptuners and using that procedure to reset the VATS. Not sure it does anything to actually reset the BCM.

We'll see... I'm in the power-off time now. I'll report later.

Meanwhile, the turd polishing continues. Black is the best color for polishing. Black is the worst color for living with.

:whatup:

Lloyd -- your C70 is better.

On the slatwall -- I love it. I bought the "bath towel aisle" when the local Linens 'n' Things closed down. Yes, the entire aisle. I bought about 20' of two-sided shelving that had aluminum-slotted slatwall on both sides. I have melamine shelves stacked 2' high in my basement and I've got shelves all over. One of the best $300 I've ever spent.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2015

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think the procedure I used only had 5-10 seconds of off time.

It was insert key, turn to on/run position (but not start), wait 10-11 minutes for the security light to go out, switch key off for 5 seconds, turn key to on position and wait 10-11 minutes, off for 5 seconds and back on for the final 10.

Edit: Looking into this a little, it appears INTERNETRACECAR called it along time ago...

rdb fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 19, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Modus Man posted:

Speaking of depreciation, I paid $16,000 for a 4 year old $48,000 saab 9-7x.

Meatpimp you can't go wrong with the suburban. I have a 2003 z71 and at 220,000 miles It feels the same as it did when I bought it with 80,000. Parts are cheap and plentiful. Maintenance is a piece of cake because there is so much room to work on everything. The only bad thing about it is the 15mpg at 25,000 miles a year. Going a few years later (2009 i think?) would get you a more powerful and efficient engine, and a 6 speed auto vs 4sp. fuel economy would jump to near 20. However the prices for that year and newer are still a bit high.

Did you buy Tremek's Aero? How do you like the 9-7x either way?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I think the procedure I used only had 5-10 seconds of off time.

It was insert key, turn to on/run position (but not start), wait 10-11 minutes for the security light to go out, switch key off for 5 seconds, turn key to on position and wait 10-11 minutes, off for 5 seconds and back on for the final 10.

Edit: Looking into this a little, it appears INTERNETRACECAR called it along time ago...

Yep, the reset procedure seemed to bring the BCM back into check. That's good, the only issue is the VSS code and what looks like a leaking power steering system. I've already made the jump into flip-town, though, so the polishing continues.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

blk posted:

I forgot he had that. Goddamn he's owned a lot of stupid SUVs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

I forgot he had that. Goddamn he's owned a lot of awesome SUVs.

You were so close.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

blk posted:

I think we both had one at the same time, meaning we owned about 2% of them. It's a trailblazer with air suspension, 4.10 rear end and an LS2. It is simultaneously as crappy and as awesome as you could imagine. I've seen them go for $12k now so jump in for some family hauling fun!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
If you can find a 2009+ Onstar VCIM you can put that in and have factory bluetooth using the Onstar mirror.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

I think we both had one at the same time, meaning we owned about 2% of them. It's a trailblazer with air suspension, 4.10 rear end and an LS2. It is simultaneously as crappy and as awesome as you could imagine. I've seen them go for $12k now so jump in for some family hauling fun!

It really wasn't a bad truck. In spite of being A Little Too Mid-2000s GM around the edges there was a lot to like about it, especially for the price. It definitely made all the right 6.0 noises when you put your foot in it.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I forgot he had that. Goddamn he's owned a lot of stupid SUVs.

As your wife might say,

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The trailblazer interior was pretty bad, the Saab seemed to be just a touch better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The trailblazer interior was pretty bad, the Saab seemed to be just a touch better.

My general thoughts and experiences with GM is that they build excellent motors, decent drivetrains, and rubbish for interior and fit/finish.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sorry for the double post, but can't attach to a post already in the system.

Just found this pic from meatpimp, circa 1995. I was AI before some of y'all could watch Ren and Stimpy. :colbert:

(Note: ridiculous cars are not a new thing for me.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Just found this pic from meatpimp, circa 1995. I was AI before some of y'all could watch Ren and Stimpy. :colbert:

Audi spotted.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is that a 780 bertone or a biturbo (they kinda look similar, like they were both designed by bertone or something)

I wonder if any parts swap between the Volvo and Maserati.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
E: nevermind.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

why would you admit to this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is that a 780 bertone or a biturbo (they kinda look similar, like they were both designed by bertone or something)

I wonder if any parts swap between the Volvo and Maserati.

One of a couple hundred --

'87 Biturbo Si.

CommieGIR posted:

Audi spotted.

Yep, started my love for them. Had that one, lead me to a '90 Coupe quattro, which lead me to a '92 S4, which lead me to a '01 allroad.

cursedshitbox posted:

E: nevermind.

:lol:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And before that? My first brand new car after I got my first big boy job.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Meatpimp 1995 had some pretty sweet rides.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Meatpimp 1995 had some pretty sweet rides.

Ballin' for a 24-year old. Bought the house when I was 22.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It was quite a bit better than a Trailblazer at least in design, if not really any different in materials. It had less of that blown-mold case look and a slightly more interesting dash design.

Here's an album of pics I took before I sold it

Goodnight sweet prince :( I know you're somewhere loved, killing batteries and eating blend door actuators with a new family

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Bought the house when I was 22.

Hey, me too...except I'm still in my dump starter home all these years later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That Scrambler is awesome and would be worth some serious coin right now. God dammit I want a Wrangler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

That Scrambler is awesome and would be worth some serious coin right now. God dammit I want a Wrangler.

That one was one of my favorite cars. Had an AMC 360 in it and it was just damned fun. Some guy decided he didn't want to stop at a red light and shortened it up a couple inches. :( I got paid out by insurance, did a buyback, did some '90s aluminum check plate corners and it looked fine again, but the hit pretty much broke the tub. So I sold it to someone who was going to replace the tub and I never heard from it again.

• Locked thread