Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Last thing about scan tools: around here my observation on the majority of cars with no dealer here to service: BMW and Subaru by far. Volvo seems to have fallen out of favor. I am leaning towards trying to start with a BMW tool (but only because I read the BMW thread constantly because I am really considering a BMW wagon). Over there it seems like even AI is constantly having to take the car to the dealer to get a battery programmed. Any idea if this is doable with an available scan tool?

Back on topic I really enjoy this thread, I love picking up something cheap and refurbishing it to pristine condition (I know you are probably getting rid of this one). Like my Taurus wagon I picked up with no working fuel gauge, the shop told me it was the fuel sender and they would have to drop the tank yada yada $$$ - some googling and it was the flex fuel sensor I got from the pick and pull, conveniently located behind the easy to pull radio - $5 later it's fixed (and has stayed fixed for the past 3 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

literally a fish posted:

Rather amusingly this means on the P2 Volvos you have to have the dealer replace the rear-view mirror if the auto-dimming fails, because the rear-view mirror has the electronics and antenna for the keyless entry system in it

You left out the best part: It costs $600.

The trick is to just swap the glass, keeping the circuit board with the car. I did it on my 01 already, but if it happens again I'm just putting in a manual flip dimmer, which I've already sourced from the junkyard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
First and second gen Proteges / 323s are subject to a new recall related to potential fires from the ignition switch.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM488414/RCLRPT-15V674-8073.PDF

edit: I meant to post this in the BG thread. How did this end up here?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 27, 2015

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?

everdave posted:

Last thing about scan tools: around here my observation on the majority of cars with no dealer here to service: BMW and Subaru by far. Volvo seems to have fallen out of favor. I am leaning towards trying to start with a BMW tool (but only because I read the BMW thread constantly because I am really considering a BMW wagon). Over there it seems like even AI is constantly having to take the car to the dealer to get a battery programmed. Any idea if this is doable with an available scan tool?

Back on topic I really enjoy this thread, I love picking up something cheap and refurbishing it to pristine condition (I know you are probably getting rid of this one). Like my Taurus wagon I picked up with no working fuel gauge, the shop told me it was the fuel sender and they would have to drop the tank yada yada $$$ - some googling and it was the flex fuel sensor I got from the pick and pull, conveniently located behind the easy to pull radio - $5 later it's fixed (and has stayed fixed for the past 3 years)

I've never owned one personally but I believe the BMS BavTech tool will do battery coding. I seriously considered buying one when my old 335 has a battery die and the dealer quoted me $570 for a replacement. Ended up going with a $90 battery from Walmart and paid a local shop $60 to code it, but up until I found the local shop to do it I would have been happy to spend the couple hundred to be able to recode as necessary.

http://burgertuning.com/bavarian_technic_cable_diagnostic_reset_tool_BMW_Mini.html

I've since downgraded to an e46 and have a super cheap Chinese CANbus tool with PAsoft. Prior to ordering that I needed some basic coding and code pulls and had a buddy who works at Cobb Tuning use their Autologic scanner. I have to say that after seeing both, I see very little difference between the two options, if anything the cheap software has more options due to ability to edit the hex files.

All in all I can say that it's an absolutely shocking difference in ease of software coding/editing between the e46 and e9x platforms, I've heard it's even worse for the f30 platform. I know that Cobb made a decision to stop supporting BMWs after the N54/55 platform because the software was so painful to crack. This was prior to them getting into the Porsche market, which says a lot to me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Carly for BMW (formely BMWhat) can supposedly code batteries on E9x and contemporaries. It's an in-app extra purchase, though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, what's exactly the purpose of needing to code a battery? Is there an extra connector on the battery with some associated circuitry in it? I'm having a hard time understanding why this is a thing?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don't understand it fully either, but newer BMWs have all sorts of wizardry to eek out that last 0.01km/l, one of which is to only charge the battery when it's necessary. For instance, they have a solid state relay which engages the charging only when braking or engine braking. In order to do that, the car needs to know how many Amp-Hours the battery is specced for, and also when a fresh battery has been installed, since, apparently, an older battery needs a different charging profile than a fresh one.

I've read that if you just replace the battery, even with an identical model, it'll be killed in short order if you don't code it.

I'm pretty sure the batteries themselves are bog standard batteries.

Edit: vvvvv What the pimp said. It is bullshit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

So, what's exactly the purpose of needing to code a battery? Is there an extra connector on the battery with some associated circuitry in it? I'm having a hard time understanding why this is a thing?

It's made up bullshit to further tie the customer to the dealer.

In theory, the car's computer monitors the state and rate of the battery's charge, and then changes the output of the alternator to best match. It is done under the auspices of "lengthening battery life." So with that, the car's computer needs to know the capacity and output of the battery as set parameters. So, if you change the battery, you need to change the coding to match, or the car could over/under charge the battery... making the car explode or killing a new battery, I guess.

Either way, it's bullshit.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So it's the erectile dysfunction efficient dynamics thing? I can't say I've heard of prii needing their monster battery packs coded when they're replaced.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

So it's the erectile dysfunction efficient dynamics thing? I can't say I've heard of prii needing their monster battery packs coded when they're replaced.

Thats the difference between the ultimate beige machine and the ultimate driving machine.

Wasnt there some little tsb over those cars not charging the batteries enough and killing the car to squeeze out that extra .0024mpg?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
That was on the N63 TT V8.
The fix was shorter oil change intervals and a battery replacement at every oil change.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice work on the cleanup, meatpimp, it looks like a completely different car. Not a bad way to make some money detailing, (better than actually detailing, I imagine!)

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

It appears this shop specializes in your type of vehicle, perhaps you could take it here for a thorough scanning?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TWSS posted:

It appears this shop specializes in your type of vehicle, perhaps you could take it here for a thorough scanning probing?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Thats the difference between the ultimate beige machine and the ultimate driving machine.

Wasnt there some little tsb over those cars not charging the batteries enough and killing the car to squeeze out that extra .0024mpg?

Oh god, I think your right.

Anything to eek out an extra half mile per gallon. This is why I drive old heavy pigs.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Yep, it's an ugly goatse car, but drat if it's not starting to grow on me. I look at a shitload of little problems I've seen... and I start thinking about fixing them. Well, we'll see later today. I'm going to replace the battery and if that clears the BCM problems, I'll think about it. If it doesn't clear the BCM problems, it's definitely gone.

Edit: Nevermind. The battery is a holy gently caress to replace and there was no difference with the BCM after I replaced it. Resets fine, dies within a mile of starting to drive it. Definite craigslist sale, I'll find another project that isn't quite as much of a dirty gently caress.

Go look up the process for replacing a battery in a Noble sometime if you want to see a truly loving awful battery placement.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

That was on the N63 TT V8.
The fix was shorter oil change intervals and a battery replacement at every oil change.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh god, I think your right.

Anything to eek out an extra half mile per gallon. This is why I drive old heavy pigs.

Yuh, and all because they can't lower the official mpg number by 1-2 without getting sued. details here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Hahahaha what the gently caress BMW? That's strait up British level logic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Update: Buick is gone. Only made about a grand on it, but it's better than getting sucked into the void that it was starting to look like. BCM would reset, but gently caress off as soon as you started to drive it. I put it up on craigslist with all known issues disclosed and after lowering the price a couple times, someone grabbed it. He figured he could put $1500 in it and have it be back to snuff. I think the number would be closer to $2500 to have it truly right and, at that point, you're close to book value for a Rendezvous. gently caress that noise.

So, with that gone, I'm back to looking for a Tahoe / Yukon, maybe 'burban / XL. No rush, we'll see what shows up.

In the interim, I drove 1 1/2 hours to look at this today:
https://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/5300579580.html

'92 Mazda MX3 GS with the 1.8L V6. Yes, 1.8L V6. Looked like it would clean up very well, was obviously cared for, but had a noticeable exhaust leak from either the manifold or cat area. That wouldn't have queered me on the deal, but the knocking from the motor did. Ran fine, the noise could have been nothing, but at the $3500 negotiated price, it was too much of a risk to make money on. Probably could have grabbed it for $3000, but even then, the risk was too much.

So, we drove back home, carless.

The motherfuckin' saga continues.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

drat that Mazda looks mint. Sucks about the motor but if it was cheaper doesnt the 2.5 swap in with minimal work?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fart Pipe posted:

drat that Mazda looks mint. Sucks about the motor but if it was cheaper doesnt the 2.5 swap in with minimal work?

Looks like the 2.5 does just about drop in... in a car that light, it'd be a blast. Too much work with no payout for a flip, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Even in mint condition that car is worth maybe 2.5k tops, those cars (BGs in general) just don't command much money and you wouldn't have made anything off of it even if it ran perfectly. Something tells me he's getting rid of it because of the knock, not because he needs the money.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Even in mint condition that car is worth maybe 2.5k tops, those cars (BGs in general) just don't command much money and you wouldn't have made anything off of it even if it ran perfectly. Something tells me he's getting rid of it because of the knock, not because he needs the money.

See you've got Florida colored glasses. Around here, cleaned up and properly marketed, that thing would sell for $5500-6000. Here things like that don't exist anymore because rust.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I beg to differ, I've been on the BG forums long enough to know there's no way you'd get that much. Good thing you didn't get it expecting a profit because you'd be disappointed, it's not an MR2.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I beg to differ, I've been on the BG forums long enough to know there's no way you'd get that much. Good thing you didn't get it expecting a profit because you'd be disappointed, it's not an MR2.

Looks like you have the hookup, then. Forward to me any MX3 GS 1.8L with under 100k miles, with no paintwork or damage, still titled to the original owner for under $3000 and I'll buy them! :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There are a few KLZE-swapped MX3s here and they are stupid hilarious. But yeah, you're never going to see your money or effort on that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Looks like you have the hookup, then. Forward to me any MX3 GS 1.8L with under 100k miles, with no paintwork or damage, still titled to the original owner for under $3000 and I'll buy them! :D

I see them on Club Protege changing hands all over the country and the fanbois won't even pay close to 5k for one. You'd have a hard time finding some random person that knows nothing about them to pay that much. And the people that do know about them aren't going to pay it either. I'd say it would fetch 3k tops from a MX3/BG fanatic. That's if it's running perfect. I've seen a few sell around here in similar condition for around 2k.

I don't care how nice the paint is, it's still a 23 year old tarded up econobox that has no significant following.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

leica posted:

tarded up

lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I see them on Club Protege changing hands all over the country and the fanbois won't even pay close to 5k for one. You'd have a hard time finding some random person that knows nothing about them to pay that much. And the people that do know about them aren't going to pay it either. I'd say it would fetch 3k tops from a MX3/BG fanatic. That's if it's running perfect. I've seen a few sell around here in similar condition for around 2k.

I don't care how nice the paint is, it's still a 23 year old tarded up econobox that has no significant following.

My offer stands. :colbert:

I'll defer to your knowledge of tarded up econoboxes in Florida and °º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°Club Protege°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°, can we move past it, please?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Suprised that weren't called eunos over there. We didn't get infiniti, acura etc as sub brands here, but we did get eunos from mazda! E: and of course lexus that is still here.
The mazda/eunos made big news at the time with supercharged and miller cycle engines, but flopped as mazda weren't that popular back then (while they were in the 70s and 80s and now; the 90s were a low point for them)
You don't see many around, but they are only a 3k car down here in good condition.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 10, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The supercharged Miller cycle was called the Millenia in North America and later in Japan.
Amati was going to be Mazda's luxury marque but was never launched.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I remember the supercharged Millenia being a complete nightmare for techs when I worked at Mazda. NA Millenias are alright, but the Miller cycle should be avoided at all costs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Yeah I remember the supercharged Millenia being a complete nightmare for techs when I worked at Mazda. NA Millenias are alright, but the Miller cycle should be avoided at all costs.

Which is a shame, because it was an interesting idea and the Millenia was pretty cool at the time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had a tech show me one he had taken apart, because I had never heard more crying than when one of them came in, (besides maybe the RX8's) so I was curious what the fuss was all about.

:stare: pretty much sums it up

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't it just a basic blower and a really long opening intake cam? How is it that much more difficult to service?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have fun doing any basic maintenance.

Spark plug replacement is an ordeal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

Aw, look at that cute bolt on intercooler.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

At least dropping a spanner in that engine bay it won't fall far with all that cramped up in there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

At least dropping a spanner in that engine bay it won't fall far with all that cramped up in there.
Drop a screw in an engine bay, hold your breath, release when you hear it hit the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

Drop a screw in an engine bay, hold your breath, release when you hear it hit the floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

• Locked thread