Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was called out by forum member kastein yesterday. Apparently there is a 6 month window in which if you do not do any wrenching, you lose your AI cred. I think that's a rule that kastein came up with, and I don't agree with the rule, but whatever. That's not what we're here for. Or maybe it is, but there's a car here somewhere.

No wait, it's not a car, it's a Buick Rendezvous, and the car is as bad as its name. I was looking for a project. Something that seated 7, because I've got some growing kids, one that's a Boy Scout, and a dog. Getting scouting kids/equipment in and out of a BMW sedan isn't hard, but it's annoying. Taking a 4 person family and a 60 pound dog isn't hard, but it's annoying. I actively try to weed out annoyances from my life, so I bought a big annoyance. I don't get it, what's going on here? I don't know, but I bought a car so stupid, IOC declared it in the realm of 14". Since 14" is a stand up individual, I respect that.

But enough about that stuff, let's talk about the car. First, a glamour shot from its craigslist ad:

This beautiful beast popped up on cl as a "Nice' 04 Buick rendevous $1800$" with a couple similar pictures and copy of "I have a nice Buick rendevous for sale wit 149k. Runs good, get in and drive away! Third row, leather seats,call Ren 614 eight zero five xxxx" How could I not buy that right away! He says he wants you to get in and drive away, which is honestly a stretch for the vehicle as it is right now. So I contacted him 20 minutes after the ad was posted and made the deal. I didn't ask about how it drives, or what's wrong with it, I knew there would be a lot and I knew the seller wouldn't tell me poo poo.

When it showed up, I knew I was buying it. A couple scruffy guys show up in the Sam's Club parking lot. I could have met him at the Walmart next door, but I'm more high class than that. The car immediately reeked of being a passaround girl at the local buy-here, pay-here lots. Absolutely filthy. I'm not talking normal levels of dirt, I'm talking about dirt EVERYWHERE and a build-up on the paint that has me using a Simple Green wipedown before I ever touch the paint itself. I have never, in a long history of buying bad cars, used Simple Green as my first method of attack.

Anyway, besides having filth piled up everywhere you looked, it also had its ABS warning light on, along with the AWD Disabled showing in the information window. Another great sign. The tires are shot, the oil is black, in a lot drive the transmission shifted sometimes with a bang, sometimes with nothing. Obviously, this is the car for me, so I gave the seller the cash and he gave me the title that "his brother" had signed over earlier in the day.

In all honesty, I had checked the car out before, the carfax showed a pretty decent history, no accidents, a lot of stop-and-go oil changes, I've definitely seen worse. I also cross-checked the VIN with the state to make sure the title was legit, it wasn't registered stolen and there were no liens on it.

So, I started to drive this magnificent thing home. It was rush hour, I went to cross a busy intersection with a judicious helping of gas and it fell on its face. Just no acceleration, some type of limp mode I thought at first, but after driving it, it's really slow shifting at times. When I got it home, I checked the transmission fluid and it absolutely reeks. Nicely burned and one of the first things on my list of repairs... going to try a fluid and filter change, along with the GM-recommended addition of another magnet in the pan of the 4t065e. I hope that works.

I'm not too concerned about it. Even if it needs a new transmission, I bought it at a point that I could have one put in (I'm AI, but not truly insane to do that myself, I have better things to do with my time) and still make money on it. The funny thing is that a) the seller got the year wrong, it's actually an '05, and it is ABSOLUTELY loaded. I ran a compnine report on it and it is the full-on top of the range car, even being a 1-of-1700 Joseph Abboud special editions. Google doesn't even know what the gently caress that is, but it's on the build sheet -- "SALES PACKAGE JOSEPH ABBOUD ULTRA EDITION JOSEPH ABBOUD ULTRA EDITION PKG(JAU)"

So. Where are we at? I'll bark at kastein a bit more, but I think he's a good guy. He likes some AI and houses and stuffs and that's cool by me. And, with the car? Well...

Paint is crap.

Interior is filthy.

... and mostly spread across my garage.

The car is a mess.

but I have a cool Longhorn skull in my garage.

And next up, let's take a look at that air filter...

:barf:

What's next? A lot of cleaning. A LOT of cleaning. And then we'll see from there. As of right now, there's an ozone generator in there that I need to shut off...

and some more stuff to do. Upcoming in this thread, more stuff hopefully getting fixed, some beefs getting squashed, maybe some probations (not a mod challenge or challenge to you, IOC, honest), but hey, it's a meatpimp thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

That skull is going to be it's hood ornament. Right?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My condolences Mr pimp of meat. But that could actually turn out to be decent and the tranny is common enough that it will be easy to find one at a pick n pull.

Edit:
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tripleedgeperformance.com%2F4T65E-Common-Problems.html#2712

This should help you get into the right direction in regards to the transmission.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 17, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My condolences Mr pimp of meat. But that could actually turn out to be decent and the tranny is common enough that it will be easy to find one at a pick n pull.

Edit:
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tripleedgeperformance.com%2F4T65E-Common-Problems.html#2712

This should help you get into the right direction in regards to the transmission.

Link 404'd, but I was planning on going to a shift kit if the filter and oil don't work.

I cleaned some of the interior and seats. The level of grungy grime is absurd. How do people live like that?

Right now I'm just poking around here and there, the headlights are on my workbench, they're going to need a serious wet sanding before polish, the tops are opaque. I'll be exploring most of the day to get a lay of the land and see where I'm headed.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I cant stand the up-high seating position in those.

Whats in the JAU package?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If an AI poster wrenches on a car, but Kastein is not told about it, did they still skin their knuckles?

Anyway, that car looks... Odd. I think it's to high and slab-sided for the wheels, it feels disproportionate. Like the arches should be 6" larger in radius and it should have 30"+ tyres.

It's not as bad as the Ssangyong Rodius, though:

And yes, it is referred to by everyone as a "Ssangyong Odious"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
classy Aztek you have there

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I have very found memories of that car. My best friend in high school drove one so I spent a lot of time in one. It was comfortable and we fit like 7 or 8 people in it. We even drove it to the upper peninsula in Michigan once and got lost on old, abandoned logging roads. It never left us stranded or anything. It might've been the most reliable car his family owned, mostly because it was the best maintained.

If I remember correctly, you're in Ohio, not far from me. There's a few junkyard and pick and pulls not too far from me, Cleveland area. If you ever need a hand, let me know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VikingSkull posted:

classy Aztek you have there

Don't kinkshame me.

mariooncrack posted:

If I remember correctly, you're in Ohio, not far from me. There's a few junkyard and pick and pulls not too far from me, Cleveland area. If you ever need a hand, let me know.

Yep, in Ohio. I'll have to see what the yards in Columbus are sitting on. There are a number of trim pieces I'm looking for...

Does a realoem.com - like site for GM exist?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Don't kinkshame me.

The back end of this thing looks like goatse

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

Don't kinkshame me.

paint a white bowtie on the hood

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sorry - phone posting

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E-Common-Problems.html

Try that. In regards to a real OEM look alike site, its lots of google-fu for parts. I usually just cross reference stuff from rock auto or Napa and it seems to get me where I need to be.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hilarious. You should post it two or three more times! And honestly, goatse is only 15+ years old, it'll never grow old!

It's really odd that there is a subgroup of people that look and try to find the image of a man's gaping rear end in inanimate objects.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Sorry - phone posting

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E-Common-Problems.html

Try that. In regards to a real OEM look alike site, its lots of google-fu for parts. I usually just cross reference stuff from rock auto or Napa and it seems to get me where I need to be.

I was thinking more about the random interior parts and fasteners that I'm sure are pulled from the parts bin... but I have no idea where to start drilling down for them. Does Rock Auto go that deep now? I haven't used them in a few years.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

meatpimp posted:

I was thinking more about the random interior parts and fasteners that I'm sure are pulled from the parts bin... but I have no idea where to start drilling down for them. Does Rock Auto go that deep now? I haven't used them in a few years.

Rockauto's strength isn't normally interior parts on vehicles that aren't in the top of sales when they came out (trucks and such), although they do have some for that Rendezvous. Most of the fasteners you're looking for can probably be found in the Universal Parts section if you know what you're looking for.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Also, if you ever need to track down a part for a GM vehicle, you can always call ACDELCO with the last 8 of your VIN (For 1990 and newer MYs) and they can get you the OE number for a part and the ACDELCO part number for the replacement if you need it. It's great for tracking down parts online.

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007

Goatse wagon. I wouldn't let my kids in there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

EMCF posted:

Goatse wagon. I wouldn't let my kids in there.

Troll alt spotted, good game, player.

The funny thing is that people talk poo poo about things in the back channels, but won't bring it straight here. (Yes, I'm calling out some internet tough guys who are really sad nerds supported by other sad internet nerds to think they are tough... but they're only tough in the back channels... and that's pretty sad.)

In beater car news, the damned thing was disgusting inside. Here's the dirt just from the two second row captain's chairs and the back of the third row seat:

And I found this behind the rear view mirror with a 4-wire cable going to it. It had a blue LED on at all times. Only the "1" button had an actual button on the board, and the board had no distinguishing lettering that turned up anything... what is it, some kind of toll pass thingie?

And progress on the headlights.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 17, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

The funny thing is that people talk poo poo about things in the back channels, but won't bring it straight here.
I think most people are being completely upfront about the fact that your new ride is, well, fackin' ugly, and it's hardly somethign you've shied away from yourself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I think most people are being completely upfront about the fact that your new ride is, well, fackin' ugly, and it's hardly somethign you've shied away from yourself.

In case it hasn't been made abundantly clear over the past decade, plus, I don't give a gently caress what "most people" think. And if the best "most people" can do is make a goatse joke about a car's taillights, then people really need to step their game up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
at least its not a saturn ion. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

at least its not a saturn ion. :v:

Or a black Astra. Or a Subaru. Or a PT Cruiser.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 17, 2015

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

at least it's not an HHR

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

In case it hasn't been made abundantly clear over the past decade, plus, I don't give a gently caress what "most people" think. And if the best "most people" can do is make a goatse joke about a car's taillights, then people really need to step their game up.
well, in that case, I have no idea what the whole "back channels" thing is about. Never mind.

Just seen the edit where you added the interior cleaning. Mmmm, lovely. At the moment I'm dealing with a car that's been parked up for years, and the interior is a little mouldy, I'm expecting something similar.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

meatpimp posted:

What do YOU mean "most people????"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

At the moment I'm dealing with a car that's been parked up for years, and the interior is a little mouldy, I'm expecting something similar.

Ozone generators in enclosed spaces work wonders. This thing smells absolutely fresh right now.

angryhampster posted:

What do YOU mean "most people????"

Wait... I bought a black car, too. meatpimp is obviously racist.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its amazing how people treat their rides. Its the second most expensive purchase next to a home (for 90% of people- doesn't apply to AI) and they treat them like their personal trash cans and neglect them to hell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Ozone generators in enclosed spaces work wonders. This thing smells absolutely fresh right now.
Mmm, they were well spoken of when I asked about a similar situation (smoker's car), but I didn't think a really cheap one would help much, and couldn't justify the cost of the more expensive ones. How much "output", in terms of the mg/h they seem to be rated in, would be considered a sensible minimum? Let's say I can leave it locked in a (very small) car for a week, no worries.

To be honest, it's not that it smells musty or anything. It just looks quite nasty.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

angryhampster posted:

I cant stand the up-high seating position in those.

Whats in the JAU package?

If I remember correctly from my dark days of employment with Buick (yeah, I'm sorry for me too...) the Joseph Abboud packages were interior trim levels with designer colors and upholstery. Think of them like the Eddie Bauer editions of the Explorer.

I believe it was available for both the Regal and Rendezvous.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its amazing how people treat their rides. Its the second most expensive purchase next to a home (for 90% of people- doesn't apply to AI) and they treat them like their personal trash cans and neglect them to hell.

Have you seen how some people treat their homes?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I sure am excited about the most boring vehicle in AI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

And you must post, instead of ignoring the thread and moving on.

You've got a fine sense of reason, you figured out that I'm really proud of this car, I think it's a magnificent piece of engineering and I can't wait to keep it forever.

:fuckoff:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

And you must post, instead of ignoring the thread and moving on.

You've got a fine sense of reason, you figured out that I'm really proud of this car, I think it's a magnificent piece of engineering and I can't wait to keep it forever.

:fuckoff:

I'm trying to see how little effort i can put in to make you ragepost. Apparently the answer is any.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!
you should pull the center console and slip a diaper over the ECU for when it starts taking massive diarrhea dumps all over itself and spills out into the rest of the electrical system

the only troll in this thread is that car and it is going to doxx the loving poo poo out of you

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

I was called out by forum member kastein yesterday. Apparently there is a 6 month window in which if you do not do any wrenching, you lose your AI cred. I think that's a rule that kastein came up with, and I don't agree with the rule, but whatever.

meatpimp posted:

Hilarious. You should post it two or three more times! And honestly, goatse is only 15+ years old, it'll never grow old!

It's really odd that there is a subgroup of people that look and try to find the image of a man's gaping rear end in inanimate objects.

meatpimp posted:

The funny thing is that people talk poo poo about things in the back channels, but won't bring it straight here. (Yes, I'm calling out some internet tough guys who are really sad nerds supported by other sad internet nerds to think they are tough... but they're only tough in the back channels... and that's pretty sad.

meatpimp posted:

I dont care but here are these quotes about how I care.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

I'm trying to see how little effort i can put in to make you ragepost. Apparently the answer is any.

I'm literally shaking with rage that you are breaking the rules of the forum by shitposting instead of moving on and intentionally trolling.

Fart Pipe posted:

I dont care but here are these quotes about how I care.

I don't care about the car, but I'm tired of the IRC poo poo playing with the actual AI. Yeah.

In fact, we can take it a bit further, in that there's an inherent irony about a bunch of nerds gravitating towards a web site forum, only to end up forming life connections with other internet nerds... only to form a series of off-site groups to talk about how bad the forum that brought them together is.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 18, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

I'm literally shaking with rage that you are breaking the rules of the forum by shitposting instead of moving on and intentionally trolling.

You should quit AI and spend all your free time sucking rear end gas out of old buicks that you're totally going to flip for big bucks.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Ozmiander posted:

To be fair my level of interest in this thread is about the same as the Lambo one. And at least this one has very small odds of becoming black widow vehicle 2.0 but with children involved.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

I don't care about the car, but I'm tired of the IRC poo poo playing with the actual AI. Yeah.

You are a self proclaimed victim. Seriously dude no one cares that much about your posting but you think they do for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

the actual AI.

:cry:

• Locked thread