Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The crazy thing is that someone paid over $30k for this thing barely 10 years ago. It does have AWD, at least the hardware for it, but it's disabled itself right now. There's a wheel speed sensor hosed and that takes out both ABS and AWD. Hopefully it's a single point of failure when I get that far into it.

On most gm automatics with abs/tcs/awd that sensor needs to be working or all three poo poo the bed. I have seen many gms throw a code because someone got pissed and took a pair of dikes to that wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
People who do this professionally make bank. We have some companies that comes to my shop for dealer level stuff. Ecu freaks out and the new one needs to be reprogrammed that's major bank for driving somewhere plugging in a laptop running some programs and then leaving. The worst part about the operation is the cost for getting dealer level software

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
If the thermostat goes bad in this car just pull the alternator before trying to fix it. Everyone says you don't have too but it makes lathe job 100 tines easier

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I don't remember if there is two stats. Just that anyone who says you can move the alternator out of the way and still do the job is a masochist. But they are one piece units with the housing. And your in the rust belt if I remember so clean the mating surface really well cause it corrodes like a motherfo. And these are such good trucks but lol GM interior quality. Also check the power steering lines because how they are run leads to catching salt and road grime and then rusting in pieces

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
On those a semi bad bearing can make whoop whoop noises. I've had other gms with that style bearing make that noise. And it's usually the big trucks. Truthfully when a chevy product comes in with a bad wheel bearing its poo poo the actual bearings out and has camberuu

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
They really are nice trucks. But like all gms they hit 100k and the electronics go caty wompass. I work on them alot at work and they are easy to wrench on and reliable vehicles. My major qualm with gm is the interior. I mean my 93 camry has a less noisey interior then most 2000 and up gms

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Yep my '96 Camry's interior is worlds better than our '06 HHR.....Well it's just a better car overall frankly.

Wooh best gen camry buddy. Also the HHR is garbage in general. But in thread related news this thing needs some SS wheels

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Our HHR has been a very reliable, solid car. I blew out the rear shocks loading it with tons of poo poo so now it drives like a horse buggy, and it eats end links, but it's not horrible really. It's just that a '96 Camry is better :v:

I bag on the HHR and many gm products but there all OK cars. My problem with the HHR is it often can't get out of its own way. And they have poo poo struts even when not overloaded. But I drive a Toyota so I'm use to having struts poo poo out often. But luckily the trailblazer is super comfy and roomy which makes it a great cruise car

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I was actually happy with the Goodyear shop I took it to. They worried me at first, calling to tell me the upper ball joints were loose (I checked them when I replaced the struts... they were fine. Not perfect, but fine.

I have pumped out the PS fluid reservoir and refilled 2 times as a ghetto fluid change. It has quieted the pump down a ton, to the point that I hear it, but it's not overpowering. I'm still watching to see what its going to do.

Goodyear probably felt "something" in the ball joints and only called to cover there rear end. But most of the Goodyear shops near me do some amazing things with alignments. And for that PS pump I'm sorry to tell you but its like a ford in that it just likes to sing. I have seen so many of these style of trucks in the shop over the last year and all of them had a power steering pump that sang a little bit. I put a new one in a trailblazer and two months later it came back singing its heart out. My boss tried to claim its something with how the rack is set up. But I just think they are a poo poo design PS pump. Either way its refreshing seeing someone actually take care of one of these trucks. 75% of the customers who bring there's to my shop have rolling dumpsters that are rusted to death with a non working dash.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The Nissan has the armada in that range. I have a customer with one at work and it's awesome. She's is abusive to it and it handles it well. It has a slightly bigger then envoy feel. But its not like driving a suburban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Avoid the 4.0L V6 like the plague. The timing setup is so bad even VW V8 S4 engineers couldn't make it worse.

(It's half on the front and half on the back so you have to pull the motor to do the back one)

Oh and the IRS setup is obnoxious and requires a 30 ton press to do the wheel bearings. The IFS I know nothing about.

The front suspension is squeaky and tends to break the fuel or brake lines that are right by it. There is no positive to explorers of any variation. The newer ones have interior door handle problems and other cheap interior faults.

• Locked thread