Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Do the LEDs light up when you push the button, or not? (also check with smartphone camera to see if they're IR)

There's a model number written on the board next to the ATTiny that's a bit hard to read - see if you can grab a pic with the other chip (the QFN)'s numbers visible, and that number (highlighted in this pic so you know what i'm talking about)

higher resolution would be useful too. It's clearly some form of universal case around the thing, so whatever it is we can expect it to be cheap and chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I'm gonna go out on a fairly short limb; Antenna unit, model C2W3, board revision date 12th of August 2005, which would imply it's been there for quite a while. The model number didn't bring anything up for me either, and the ATTiny won't get you anywhere (they're generic cheap microcontrollers used in all kinds of poo poo) - as rdb said, time to follow that wire.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Gonna guess his initial guess of something from a buy here pay here lot is correct - they often install something to render the vehicle inoperable in case of missed payments. They generally either have a way to enter a code every 2-4 weeks, or operate via some kind of cellular connection that checks in daily/weekly/etc.

... or I could be talking out of my rear end.

The antenna does look suspiciously like what one would expect for a lovely cellular antenna - though usually in-vehicle systems would use a sticky patch antenna like this whatsit. No visible SIM card or SIM slot, too, and an attiny definitely doesn't have enough horsepower on its own to do much with cellular - looks more like a short-range radio link to me, something like a two-way security/keyless entry system perhaps.

Of course the other chip could easily be a CDMA cellular radio chip, but I'm not seeing enough RF can for that either...

dammit meatpimp
follow the wire and solve the mystery!

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 19, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, lock/unlock fobs are standard. I'd believe something like a remote start, but anything retail I've ever seen has some type of identifiable markings on the PCB... plus, if you look at the case, it's completely generic/non-matching of the PCB. There is a button on the board for number 1, but nothing underneath 2 and 3.

I'll dig into it today.

That could just mean "$80 chinese remote start", mind you. Case commonality is fairly, well, common (pardon the pun)

Good luck finding the box on the other end of the wire! hopefully it has some form of model number.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Jesus gently caress. It's a remote start. So many vampire taps. Such a terrible wiring job. Makes baby Jesus puke.

I love being right!

Jesus christ that wiring, though. MY EYES!

bolind posted:

Cuz it's not like in-line fuse holders are actually commercially available... :ughh:

The best part is that there's actually two inline fuse holders right next to the bodged one.

:munch:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 19, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Pretty much every brand has their own specific tool and set of software. For Volvos, it's the VIDA software and DICE tool, and even with pirated copies of that hardware there's limits to what you can do.

You can get some expensive tools that will be able to do SOME things on all brands, but the only thing you're guaranteed without a manufacturer specific tool is diagnostic codes and live sensor data.

Where you start is by dropping $1-3k per brand you want to touch on equipment and software :V

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

LloydDobler posted:

The funny part about the Volvo tool is it appears to be the company that makes it for Volvo that is gray market selling it on the side. It is marked with official Volvo logos and everything, QC tags and all, it looks identical to the shop units I've seen. I bought one for $200, it allows me to pull proprietary codes and talk to the car modules and reset lights - I reset my SRS light today in my C70, I've had a passenger airbag switch installed to keep my daughter safe, she's old enough now that it's unnecessary so I took it out.

The subscription to an official copy of the software is almost $10,000 per year. And even then you can't do all a dealership can. But you can do most stuff like main software reloading. That's stuff I can't do with my pirate copy.

Module programming is the only thing you can't do with the pirated tool, I have the same one you have. It'll do anything that doesn't require a purchased software download, but you can still do those in the USDM with a 3-day VIDA subscription once a year to grab all the updates. Only things you can't do without being a dealer are security system related, iirc.

Rather amusingly this means on the P2 Volvos you have to have the dealer replace the rear-view mirror if the auto-dimming fails, because the rear-view mirror has the electronics and antenna for the keyless entry system in it

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

That was on the N63 TT V8.
The fix was shorter oil change intervals and a battery replacement at every oil change.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh god, I think your right.

Anything to eek out an extra half mile per gallon. This is why I drive old heavy pigs.

Yuh, and all because they can't lower the official mpg number by 1-2 without getting sued. details here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Nodoze posted:

There is a lot more stuff involved in it than that

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Hahahaha bmw what the gently caress.

I gave more info shortly after the originally quoted post;

literally a fish posted:

Yuh, and all because they can't lower the official mpg number by 1-2 without getting sued. details here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

:v:

• Locked thread