Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don't really care if it's an old $1800 car or an old $180.000 car, if someone buys it and fixes it up himself, and posts pics about it as it happens, I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

meatpimp, sorry if I missed it, but is it AWD? If so, what system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cuz it's not like in-line fuse holders are actually commercially available... :ughh:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Carly for BMW (formely BMWhat) can supposedly code batteries on E9x and contemporaries. It's an in-app extra purchase, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don't understand it fully either, but newer BMWs have all sorts of wizardry to eek out that last 0.01km/l, one of which is to only charge the battery when it's necessary. For instance, they have a solid state relay which engages the charging only when braking or engine braking. In order to do that, the car needs to know how many Amp-Hours the battery is specced for, and also when a fresh battery has been installed, since, apparently, an older battery needs a different charging profile than a fresh one.

I've read that if you just replace the battery, even with an identical model, it'll be killed in short order if you don't code it.

I'm pretty sure the batteries themselves are bog standard batteries.

Edit: vvvvv What the pimp said. It is bullshit.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

cross footage

What the hell does this mean?

• Locked thread