Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

I'm gonna go out on a fairly short limb; Antenna unit, model C2W3, board revision date 12th of August 2005, which would imply it's been there for quite a while. The model number didn't bring anything up for me either, and the ATTiny won't get you anywhere (they're generic cheap microcontrollers used in all kinds of poo poo) - as rdb said, time to follow that wire.

Gonna guess his initial guess of something from a buy here pay here lot is correct - they often install something to render the vehicle inoperable in case of missed payments. They generally either have a way to enter a code every 2-4 weeks, or operate via some kind of cellular connection that checks in daily/weekly/etc.

... or I could be talking out of my rear end.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rdb posted:

Not going to try to replace the BCM? It seems cheap enough used. Paint and headlights look fantastic.

It is pretty cheap used, but IIRC you need a Tech2 tool to pair it to the vehicle. Which means a trip to the dealer, unless you happen to track down a Tech2 and software for less than $assrape with a broom$

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Edit2: Oh yeah, the build quality of this is laughably bad. I have spent a good bit of time looking around the front end for paintwork, because the panel gaps CANNOT be factory... but they are. Everything lines up, bolts have never been touched, no paint lines/overspray/anything. The truck is absolutely as the factory shipped it out, and the entire factory must have been drunk.

If you think the panel gap on that is bad, let me go take some pictures of my Saturn. You could almost kick the car and get your foot stuck between panels.

The upside is everything lines up exactly as it did when it left the factory, except for the passenger headlamp (and that's my fault - pulled the bucket as a last resort trying to get to the belt tensioner, haven't cared enough to line it back up properly).

I was on the fence about getting the lifetime alignment - I know I need one pretty bad, and I also know I need some new parts on the front right (and while I'm in there I may as well do both front springs and struts anyway). Figured I could get it aligned as close as they can given the current condition of that corner, then get it done again once I swap new parts on + new front springs/struts. $189 torpedos that idea though, I can get it done four or five times for that cost by a family owned frame/alignment shop that's been around for something like 50 or 60 years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:siren: PAGING HOLDBROOKS :siren:

• Locked thread