Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Got this for £18 after watching a few YT vids; will have a potter about later and hopefully find some goons!

edit: Jumped onto Bearpit for a couple of minutes, so do we pretty much stake out stuff and do what we want? What's a good small checklist of things to do as a newb (make axes or w/e)

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

simosimo posted:

Is this going to be pretty stable in terms of engine changes and etc? I enjoy WURM and would love to have a singleplayer map going for months/years, but if it's like most sandbox games and map files become obsolete after a patch or two then maybe not.

Wurm was originally a MMO so it's kept the same map format for several years. New features from mods might make old maps obsolete but the dev team has always phased things in without erasing the current maps since like 2008

simosimo posted:

Got this for £18 after watching a few YT vids; will have a potter about later and hopefully find some goons!

edit: Jumped onto Bearpit for a couple of minutes, so do we pretty much stake out stuff and do what we want? What's a good small checklist of things to do as a newb (make axes or w/e)

Yeah people can just build whatever around the starter town area, there's plenty of space and anyone who wants to build exclusively in an area can do that further out in the wilderness after getting some tools and supplies ready in Bearghazi and making a few scouting expeditions. As a newbie I recommend crafting yourself some new tools and improving them to at least QL50 at the public forge next to the golden mine door, here's a list of essential tools that everyone will need:
  • Shovel - used for flattening a dirt foundation for your house and for extracting clay, tar, and sand
  • Pickaxe - used for mining and prospecting for rock and ore
  • Hatchet - cuts trees down faster than the other axes which are meant for combat
  • Sickle - used to gather mixed grass for building timber-framed buildings and sprouts for planting gardens and tree farms
  • Hammer or Mallet - used to plan building frames and to construct wooden and timber-framed buildings
  • Trowel - used to construct stone and plain stone buildings
  • Stone Chisel - used to make bricks and slabs for road and building construction
  • Butchering Knife - gives more and higher quality resources from butchering critters
  • Lantern - night in Wurm is really dark unless you crank up your gamma or make a lantern. You can change the color of the light by painting the lantern. You'll need olive oil or tar to fuel your lantern - you can find some tar in the bulk storage bin next to the public forge

After that you'll probably want to get a breeding pair or horses of hell horses, some horse accessories, (horseshoes, saddle, headstall, maybe barding) and a weapon and armor. An iron two-handed weapon and a full set of iron chainmail at QL50 or better is enough for normal mobs, but there's also glimmersteel and adamantium ore veins that can make better equipment for hunting down dragons and other powerful "unique" creatures. Getting your own sailboat is also a good idea, for now there's 1 or 2 small public boats that people can borrow as needed.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 28, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Thanks to the guy who showed me the ropes a little - I think a few youtube tutorials are in order to get to grips with stuff.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm trying to use that map generator linked in the OP and the terrain generates just fine, but it won't spawn biomes no matter what I do. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I've just finished my little estate - the exterior at least, and some of the interior, thanks to the help of the GMs. It's looking pretty swish now it's summertime =D

Some spooky pumpkins showed up out of nowhere as well, which was a nice touch by whoever that was.

Including this cheeky dude I found enjoying the view from my balcony.

Most of this furniture is purely decorative, but if you're into that sort of thing, this game has lots of options for you.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Spoggerific posted:

I'm trying to use that map generator linked in the OP and the terrain generates just fine, but it won't spawn biomes no matter what I do. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

You've already generated a heightmap and a dirt layer first before making biomes, right? And have you already tried tweaking all of the settings for the biome generation? It's possible to create biomes that are too small to see, or it might be that your biomes are getting discarded because there's not enough land at the right elevation or slope or whatever. Having low numbers for the N/W/E/S Growth% settings can also cause biomes to not generate. Also try using this improved map generator that uses a modified version of Budda's code but has better mountain areas with broken cliffs that make it much easier to prospect for ore veins.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Lor posted:

I've just finished my little estate - the exterior at least, and some of the interior, thanks to the help of the GMs. It's looking pretty swish now it's summertime =D

Some spooky pumpkins showed up out of nowhere as well, which was a nice touch by whoever that was.

Including this cheeky dude I found enjoying the view from my balcony.

Most of this furniture is purely decorative, but if you're into that sort of thing, this game has lots of options for you.

That's a real nice house, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing everyone's finished estates and already the area is starting to look pretty civilized and developed. Also I tweaked the crop growth setting on the goon server - before it was set to 1.5 which I thought meant 50% faster crop growth but instead meant 1.5 hours per growth stage so crops were ripening within a few hours. It's set to 6 now which I think means that crops will be ripe in about 2 days but lemme know how it works out. I'm probably gonna be occupied for the next few days with Halloween stuff but I'll keep refilling the building material crates in the Dirt Box, and when I'm back I'll start looking for good places to build forts and other megaprojects. I'm also gonna take a look at the Wyvern server which is getting 200+ players regularly now and might possibly be good for griefing and/or PvP

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

I'm also gonna take a look at the Wyvern server which is getting 200+ players regularly now and might possibly be good for griefing and/or PvP

While I love my little roman farming plot, I would also totally be up for whatever pubbie griefing will fit in with my work schedule.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Since Wurm is a Java game, and the server has been released to the public, does that mean people can decompile it and finally figure out some of the more arcane aspects of the game? Things like what the hell some of the characteristics do (mind speed, etc.) or exactly how much better higher quality and rare items are?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Spoggerific posted:

Since Wurm is a Java game, and the server has been released to the public, does that mean people can decompile it and finally figure out some of the more arcane aspects of the game? Things like what the hell some of the characteristics do (mind speed, etc.) or exactly how much better higher quality and rare items are?

That's right, you can use a decompiler on the server.jar and client.jar files to read and modify the code, although some decompilers work better than others and you might have to rename some variables manually and that kind of thing. People on the official forums are recommending using both Procyon and JDGui. I've poked around the code a little bit but haven't gotten it to compile yet, apparently some folks have and mods are beginning to show up on the forums.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just reflection it to make mod.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Lor posted:

I've just finished my little estate

Now I have to get on and finish my little shack so you don't have to look out your window at my ugly construction.

Is it possible for a GM to spawn a metric poo poo-ton of wood? I might have a horrible idea for a megaproject at some point.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

xergm posted:

Now I have to get on and finish my little shack so you don't have to look out your window at my ugly construction.

Is it possible for a GM to spawn a metric poo poo-ton of wood? I might have a horrible idea for a megaproject at some point.

I'm certain they can - there's already a bunch of materials in the crates in Bearghazi, including logs (I believe). =)

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I was going to try to build a 3x3 plank building, as high as it will let me. Bearpit would have its first skyscraper.

Some cursory calculations put this at 3840 planks just for walls alone though, assuming 16 floors is the max.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My house is coming along slowly (I need more mortar, dammit!) but it has some comforts, at least. Anyone wanna come over???

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

That's right, you can use a decompiler on the server.jar and client.jar files to read and modify the code, although some decompilers work better than others and you might have to rename some variables manually and that kind of thing. People on the official forums are recommending using both Procyon and JDGui. I've poked around the code a little bit but haven't gotten it to compile yet, apparently some folks have and mods are beginning to show up on the forums.

Modding is getting very promising. Some nice things I've seen so far:

Set all decay timers to 2^63 miliseconds so that nothing ever decays (3 posts down)
Makes stats increase proportionally to the Skill Gain Modifier
GMs don't instantly mine / dig / break doors unless they're using the Ebony Wand, so you can play with the same character you GM with
Crops never advance beyond the last growth stage and get overgrown with weeds
Remove restrictions on how often you can pray and what actions priests can do

Note that the last two mods require a modloader written by the author. Appears to modify bytecode on server start, but doesn't work with just modified .class files within the server.jar yet. It would be super nice to get a Minecraft Forge equivalent that lets you just throw class files into the appropriate file structure instead of modifying server.jar directly right now.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Cantorsdust posted:

Modding is getting very promising. Some nice things I've seen so far:

Crops never advance beyond the last growth stage and get overgrown with weeds

Oh very nice, if I can get the modloader to work on the remote rental server then I'll make a giant ornamental weed farm.

xerggm posted:

I was going to try to build a 3x3 plank building, as high as it will let me. Bearpit would have its first skyscraper.

Some cursory calculations put this at 3840 planks just for walls alone though, assuming 16 floors is the max.

I can spawn in some bulk planks for that, let me know where the building site is and I'll dump them in a bulk storage bin.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really hope there is a mod that makes dyes less of a pain in the rear end, and that Johnny installs it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Oh very nice, if I can get the modloader to work on the remote rental server then I'll make a giant ornamental weed farm.

I can spawn in some bulk planks for that, let me know where the building site is and I'll dump them in a bulk storage bin.

I assume you're joking, but for the record--it stops the crops right before they're overgrown. So you never have to worry about getting back in time to harvest them before they're lost.

Also, what remote server service are you using? Is it any good? Did it let you use the mod loader? I'm interested in getting a cheapo server myself.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So after playing wurm online a few years back I decided to jump in on this. I´ve set up on top of the mountain across the lake from the town. Enjoying not having any grind right now, I forgot how fun this game is.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Maybe I'm being stupid , but how do you start your own SP game? I'm looking to have a buffed sp game so I can understand the basics easier.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

simosimo posted:

Maybe I'm being stupid , but how do you start your own SP game? I'm looking to have a buffed sp game so I can understand the basics easier.
There's a "Manage Server" or something of that sorts in the client, when you click on it, it opens up a dialog where you can adjust settings, start/stop your server etc. Then you just look for your server in local servers and connect to it. And yes, they definitely should have made this process nicer in my opinion. First time I tried it I could not even connect for some reason, but after restarting the server it worked.

That being said, if you want to get to know the game, it's a lot easier if you do it on the goon server. If you use your own server with the default settings, you'll quickly kill yourself as the grind is still pretty bad and you can't even do a lot of things until you have skilled up. Also, some materials aren't so easy to come by in the beginning which you can just get from people. Don't be afraid!

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

simosimo posted:

If I were you I'd just jump on the goon server. I reckon it'd be much easier for you. Plus there's no grinding of levels involved. I've started playing after years of not playing Wurm and I'm already set up on top of a mountain!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I did try and i'm a brit goon who plays unusual hours so no one is on. I will try again soon and hang around a bit more if I can. Cheers chaps

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I'm also in Europe but I'm only on during the evenings in the week.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What is really need is a nicely written article of the starting basics. I keep meaning to read the wurmpedia but there's so much too do in the game I don't really know where to start. To build a house you need X , and to get X you need to have Y item, to make Y item you need have Z resource. I read about housing and I made a mallet head and shaft, then I needed nails - for that I needed.....you can see where i'm going. Just need that hook on the basics!

I do like the crafting window which someone said existed after I was stupidly making things one by one via 3 right click menus :)

edit: With the max-stats goon server, can you still get better at the skills? Or are all players experts at everything. I'd like to be a master of something that would be cool. Master fisher or some poo poo.

edit 2: Found some decent tutorial vids on Youtube so will just doing some absorbing while working

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

simosimo posted:

What is really need is a nicely written article of the starting basics. I keep meaning to read the wurmpedia but there's so much too do in the game I don't really know where to start. To build a house you need X , and to get X you need to have Y item, to make Y item you need have Z resource. I read about housing and I made a mallet head and shaft, then I needed nails - for that I needed.....you can see where i'm going. Just need that hook on the basics!

I do like the crafting window which someone said existed after I was stupidly making things one by one via 3 right click menus :)

edit: With the max-stats goon server, can you still get better at the skills? Or are all players experts at everything. I'd like to be a master of something that would be cool. Master fisher or some poo poo.

edit 2: Found some decent tutorial vids on Youtube so will just doing some absorbing while working

For your nails you want to start mining. Prospect rock faces until you find one saying iron is near. You can make a camp fire and stick iron ore in that to get some basic metal tools such as the small anvil. Then you can make nails.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I'm in the UK too so I'm normally around odd hours, although usually later at night due to shift work. :v

Edit:

simosimo posted:

You do get a _little_ better at things, although don't think it improves what you can do that much at this point. But you can definitely still pick your thing and be "the guy that does that," without it necessarily being a skill thing. I'm trying to build a huge earthen rampart up to the top of a mountain (like this Roman one at Masada http://m8.i.pbase.com/o2/93/329493/1/124318838.GN1QtHWD.JerusalemMay102173.jpg - which will probably take years). Other things you could do: Build a galleon and bulk transport resources for people. Locate unusual resources in the land and build cyclopean canals to them so you can get your galleon there. Tame a couple of bears and start an enormous bear farm. Someone else mentioned building a series of secret viet-cong style tunnels riddling the countryside around the land. Look into becoming a priest and the sacrifices/special skills that entails.

Having max skills is a great leg up, and that lets you pick your own goal, which in Wurm is somewhat limitless in terms of building. =)

Lor fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 4, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Skills on Bearpit start at 90 and can go up to the maximum of, I believe, 100. The better you are at something, the higher quality you get out of items.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what server are we playing on? The one in the Private Game Servers?
I'm on just... whenever.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Croccers posted:

So what server are we playing on? The one in the Private Game Servers?
I'm on just... whenever.

A few more of us are playing on the server in the OP. It's called bearpit.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I'm on most nights around 8PM EST, at least briefly, and can help people out, spawn some raw mats, invite to the village/alliance, etc. if you want to make your own village I can also get you some money for that. I think Bearpit's main goal is just a sandbox to make dick towers or whatever.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I've started playing on Wyvern which is the most popular server right now. It has 3 times the skill gain as the official wurm online servers. There's a pve island and a pvp island and the ability to sail between the two. I'm not sure if there's enough goons to look into starting our own town, right now I'm a member of a random pubbie village.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah I've checked out the Wyvern cluster a little bit too, got some screenshots that I'll assemble into a review and effortpost over the course of this weekend probably. Right now I'm in what I think is the major Mol-Rehan city on the PvP server after scamming a rowboat off a pubbie and living in a cave killing horses for fighting skill. They put in a fix recently for characteristic gain - it's possible to get 21 body strength and body control over a weekend (or probably a single evening if you use macros, not sure if those are allowed on Wyvern) and there's already lots of folks with 50+ skill in a single specialty so it's still fairly grindy but not too bad if you use macros or stick to a single specialization in a large group. The PvP server is mostly empty but the PvE server has tons of people with bad security habits and it looks like a lot of them are planning to relocate to the PvP server later once they max out their skills and equipment quality. So yeah I'll write more about it later but everyone with a character on Wyvern or an interest in doing something there even if it's just griefing should post about it

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bigtime griefer checking in, this game is the best for pissing off pubbies. I remember playing with some goons alllll the way back in like loving 2005/6 before the first Gold server restarted. Do they not do the challenge servers anymore? As janky as PVP is in this game it can be kinda exciting.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Yeah I've checked out the Wyvern cluster a little bit too, got some screenshots that I'll assemble into a review and effortpost over the course of this weekend probably. Right now I'm in what I think is the major Mol-Rehan city on the PvP server after scamming a rowboat off a pubbie and living in a cave killing horses for fighting skill. They put in a fix recently for characteristic gain - it's possible to get 21 body strength and body control over a weekend (or probably a single evening if you use macros, not sure if those are allowed on Wyvern) and there's already lots of folks with 50+ skill in a single specialty so it's still fairly grindy but not too bad if you use macros or stick to a single specialization in a large group. The PvP server is mostly empty but the PvE server has tons of people with bad security habits and it looks like a lot of them are planning to relocate to the PvP server later once they max out their skills and equipment quality. So yeah I'll write more about it later but everyone with a character on Wyvern or an interest in doing something there even if it's just griefing should post about it

Well if we decide to get set up on the PvP server the town I am in is right on the east coast. More than willing to grab everything not bolted down, put it all on a ship and set sail.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played this turd of a game and wasted like 100 hours of my life leveling wood chopping and made a 2x4 shack before someone came by and murdered me and then a bear came out of nowhere and ate him so this is one of the best worst games, I guess

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I just wanted to pimp my mod made using Ago's ModLauncher. It removes the 24 hour wait between foraging, botanizing, or rummaging on the same tile.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/134393-released-alwaysforage/

https://github.com/cantorsdust/AlwaysForage/releases

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm having trouble getting friends to connect to a server I've set up. They see it in the list, and their client opens up, but the connection fails afterwards. I've tried all the usual network troubleshooting things: open ports, use hamachi and try via LAN, fiddling with serverside options, even setting a DMZ and connecting my computer directly to the modem instead of via a router. Nothing works. Does anyone here have any idea? I've seen a couple topics on both the official and steam forums about the same problem, but none of them have really offered a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

whats the password to get onto bearpit?

• Locked thread