Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
If anyone was thinking the game's broken on an intel HD laptop, the latest drivers solve the problem, at least for me. There are a few glitches with reflections but turning them to sky only not only looks better but has no glitches.

I'm having a load of fun with this on single player. I played this about 8 years ago but it was way too slow for me. Now, with reduced action time, x skill gain and no lag it's like playing unreal world in 3d and with a million more options. Pretty relaxing listening to an audiobook and raising a tar tile out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I possibly get a ride to Goonland on Wurm? Don't feel like trudging.

e: Name is Kiyro on Wyvern if anyone's alive right now

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
It looks like the Wyvern GMs just added a one-way portal from the spawn on the PvE server to each of the default kingdom spawns on the PvP server, so now it's possible to create a new character and teleport him directly to the goon fortress. When you first spawn in on the Wyvern cluster, you'll be in Stronghold and should see some helpful signposts:

The portal building is located on the northeast section of town, near the Church of the Three:

Go down the alleyway and the portal house will be right in front of you:

Right-click on the giant crystal thing and select "use". Choose the "Horde of the Summoned" kingdom and confirm that you want to teleport:

This will take you pretty close to the goon fortress. Look for a lake to your east and travel north along the shore. Type /invitations into your chat bar to allow us to send you a kingdom invite, and also enable cross-kingdom private messages by opening up your paperdoll, right-clicking your body icon in the lower-left corner, then select "Manage" -> "Profile". Try sending a private message to Jacada or Gmjohnnyrascal, or add us on steam to get in contact so we can send you a village and kingdom invite. Once that's done, you can instantly teleport to the goon fortress by typing /vteleport into your chat bar.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Haha, got some interesting Cold War inter-kingdom griefing drama going on, our allies made a deal with pubbies on the PvE server who had located and penned up two dragons to shut out Mol-Rehan from the dragon hunt. In return, Mol-Rehan dropped a village deed on the dragons, broke into the pen, and looted the dragons themselves. In return for that, we used the new 1-way portals to bring an alt to one of the secret Mol-Rehan underground boat harbors, and used him to drop a village deed on the harbor and a nearby guard tower, then we converted the village to our player-made kingdom and converted their property automatically too. Normally this kind of blatant rules circumvention would get the GMs involved on old Wurm Online, but here's it's pretty much the Wild West and we can out-exploit our opponents if needed.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I bought this video game since I wanted to give it a shot and I've been thinking about it for a month or so. Is there still an active goon playerbase or should I just go try and rough it? I wanna build stuff and help out my fellows.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

aldantefax posted:

I bought this video game since I wanted to give it a shot and I've been thinking about it for a month or so. Is there still an active goon playerbase or should I just go try and rough it? I wanna build stuff and help out my fellows.

We've got 5 active goons on the PvP Wyvern server, plus another who joined up yesterday. I'm on steam as "Johnny Ratskull", you can add me to your friends list, follow the directions 3 posts down, then send me a private message asking for a village/kingdom invite and you can teleport directly to our village area. Right now we need lots of help clearcutting the tress outside our village and digging down a moat just outside the fortress walls.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Neat. I chopped wood for an hour while it was dark and I could hear another dude digging ditches. A++ will chop more wood and look up tutorials later this week while turkeyed out.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I played BL on Wild for like 3 years way back in the day, got up to 88 digging at the end of 3 months straight of terraforming and burned right out. No way I could grind again but the game itself was really fun. What kind of skill and timer multipliers are there on Wyvern? How fast can you terraform a sick mountain homestead? I'd love to pick this up again if it was faster paced.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think the rates advertised are 5x faster skill gain and 3x stat gain or something. Next to those signs in that screenshot that tells you where to go from the starter area it tells you what the exact rates are.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Official Wyvern cluster site

The Wyvern cluster has 3x skill and characteristic gain, 5x action timers, and a crop growing time of about a day. The faster action timers apply to most but not all timers, and also has the effect of further increasing skill gain for most actions because skill gained is independent of the length of the action timer, so for instance one of our allies got to 50+ weapon head smithing in one day by spamming thousands of war arrow heads that each took < 1s to make on an enchanted anvil that gives another skill gain boost on top of that. I heard there's a guy using macros in a rival kingdom that has 90 mining already in less than a month. There's a rule against using macros on Wyvern but it's probably not enforced because the server admins are doing this for free and are really busy. Terraforming a large area is still a pain though on this server, largely because the terrain on this map is a complete bitch with lots of steep slopes and broken hills. I bet you could make a few tiny 5x5 areas though on the jagged death hills near our fort pretty easily, and then connect them with bridges.

Oh also Wyvern has a couple of interesting mods already, like trolls and goblins that randomly drop loot including tools and currency. Priest action restrictions have also been removed.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Well it looks like our kingdom on the PvP server is safe enough that nobody can really touch us - our allies have gotten ridiculously powerful to the point where their best warriors can kill another player in full platemail with like 2 strikes. The 2nd strongest kingdom on the server has been thoroughly brow-beaten into staying on their own turf, and the smaller kingdoms to our south are still around only because we don't want to chase anyone off the server so early while the population is still relatively low. So I think it's okay to show a few pictures of the progress we've made so far on the goon fort. Here's the inside of the castle foundation, we just have random crap and dead pigs laying around because everything will be rearranged and organized later once the additional floors and interior walls are built:

Here you can see the unfinished dirt ramparts that will surround the accessible parts of the fort. This is the one part that can't be done easily through high skills or automated scripts, so we still a lot of raw manpower to finish digging and heaping the dirt up. At least we're not in any rush, given the relaxed security situation. Notice the reddish clumps on the ground - those are mycellium tiles which sprout up in blacklighter territory. You slowly regain food and nutrition while standing on them, and you can absorb the tile to quickly heal your wounds. You also get a combat bonus and eventually a stamina bonus while standing on mycellium. It's also ugly as poo poo, which makes it a good thing to spread into other people's turf.

The backside of our construction site. This will eventually become a small town plaza and drydock for our sailboats.

The terrain by our fortress is very rough and uneven, and a complete bitch to navigate through both on foot and on horseback. I like to call them the "death hills" because if you travel more than 50 tiles inside you'll have ninja trolls and hell hounds sneaking up on you from the cliffsides and you won't be able to escape because of the steep hill slopes everywhere, also you can't see poo poo and so basically enemy war parties can't travel through there and it makes a good place for a secluded homestead, if you have a hardcore fighting character that can survive the frequent monster ambushes.

Some of the wurm pubbies have made a pretty sophisticated planning tool and you can use it to view a 3D mockup of what our fortress will eventually look like, kind of. I removed a few things from the public fort plan for security reasons, but it gives a good idea of what it'll look like from the outside. You can load the fortress plan directly by plugging this url into the deed planner load window: http://pastebin.com/4xgQLC6S

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 28, 2015

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
I made the terrible decision and bought this. Heading to the goon town now under the name Zudrag.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Oh yeah things are still pretty active at the goon fort on the Wyvern cluster, things have been moving at a slower pace lately but the weekends and organized hunting trips often get pretty interesting. About a week ago Spyde and I went on a ridiculously long and dangerous hunting trip halfway across the map through deserts and mountains so we could level up our fighting skills to the soft cap. We eventually found a big den of lava spiders and wiped them out for skill and their charcoal, which will be made into steel for platemail armor or reinforced steel mine doors:

The main project at the moment is to build the goon fort, but there's no rush at all and people can build their own houses or personal construction projects, and I can help with making bulk building materials. Orty built a farm complex nearby and we've been filling it with random livestock that we found in the woods and sometimes we use them for judo practice overnight to grind combat skills:

Orty also made us funny hats. There's also a 3rd person camera now although it's kinda poo poo. There's a client modloader available now so we'll probably get a better camera soon. Some useful client mods are already available for things like automatically selecting the correct tool for improving crafted items or turning off all the trees so you can see through dense forests. This is me buggering a horse while wearing a wool hat and magic gloves.

You too can have your own little ranch somewhere over the rainbow. You can see the dirt ramparts of the goon fort rising in the background. It'll look pretty rad once we get the rampart buildings up:

Here's a hasty screenshot from a battle that went down yesterday. The remaining players on the PvP server have consolidated into either our kingdom, the Memesters, or our opponents, the default Mol-Rehan public kingdom. The MR guys looted a poorly fortified allied village and tried to haul away all their stuff in stolen wagons, but we set up an ambush for them as they tried to return overland with all their loot. They had superior numbers and equipment, but we were better organized and used local defenses to our advantage. Our initial archery salvo de-horsed two of their fighters and we pounced on them as our NPC guards provided a tactical distraction. Then we had a short but intense stand-up fight as we threw AoE spell blasts back and forth while trying to take control of their wagons. After a few casualties on both sides they loaded as much loot as they could on their viking boat and sailed off, but we pursued on a faster, smaller sailboat and finished the remaining survivors with a combination of short range blacklighter magic and brutal melee hammer blows.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nice! Been busy the past week or so and I haven't been able to get on and do more crafting but I'm probably going to go build a shack somewhere near the fort and then try to level a road up to the rampart so I don't accidentally fall a billion feet and break my legs

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

aldantefax posted:

Nice! Been busy the past week or so and I haven't been able to get on and do more crafting but I'm probably going to go build a shack somewhere near the fort and then try to level a road up to the rampart so I don't accidentally fall a billion feet and break my legs

Don't build a ramp up to the ramparts from the outside - we can do something more baller than that. I've picked a spot on the remaining high ground just south of the fort where we'll build a multi-story gatehouse connected to the ramparts by rope bridge. I haven't tested this yet but it should be possible to instantly blow up the bridge through the permissions menu and drop anyone on it into the dry moat below, which will hopefully soon be filled with thorn bushes and spike barriers that kill people in like 2 damage ticks

Also things the town really needs right now are some volunteers for a leather gathering mission, lots of wooden shafts for spike barriers and sailboats, lots of mixed grass which can be harvested near town with a sickle, also we need masons with 30+ masonry and a few cartloads of clay for making the rampart buildings and gatehouses. Check with me in-game for private forum links and I'll also show you how get 30+ masonry overnight with macros and other useful secrets

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 7, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I can do those things probably. This is the last full week at my current job (starting a new one next Tuesday) so I'm holed up doing paperwork and such. I should hopefully have some more time soon!

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Heh, just found out that our main opponents are actually a combination of the main Facepuncher group and some pubbies they recruited from other kingdoms and the PvE server. Also they just imploded from inter-kingdom drama while squabbling over a rare drop from a unique mob that they hunted down. At least half of their good fighters have already left to the PvE server and that leaves us completely in control of the entire PvP server for the time being. We'll probably loot their village(s) soon for any artifacts and other items that they can't bring back to the PvE server, and after that might be a good time to go sailing around the PvE server loving with people and telling them about the power vacuum on the PvP server so we can get some more opponents.

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
How many people are there on the pvp server total? Still 50 or so?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Werkwerk posted:

How many people are there on the pvp server total? Still 50 or so?

Now that most of our opponents left to the PvE server it's about 30 players. Our allies think they'll come back later after reorganizing and maybe bringing in some carebear recruits, and pretty soon I'll organize a trip to the PvE server to make some more enemies too. Actually I wonder how Port Mistfold is doing, we have enough combat skills that we could probably park on their deed for a while and yell at them about how their village is an ugly failure for a while before their respawning deed guards force us to withdraw

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Now that most of our opponents left to the PvE server it's about 30 players. Our allies think they'll come back later after reorganizing and maybe bringing in some carebear recruits, and pretty soon I'll organize a trip to the PvE server to make some more enemies too. Actually I wonder how Port Mistfold is doing, we have enough combat skills that we could probably park on their deed for a while and yell at them about how their village is an ugly failure for a while before their respawning deed guards force us to withdraw

Can't they just gear up, sail a boat over, and try to raid us before retreating to their nerdfort in the PvE server? Also, how hard is it going to be to grind fighting? I still remember the joy of the blacklighter home server having higher mob density because people were retarded at math.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Werkwerk posted:

Can't they just gear up, sail a boat over, and try to raid us before retreating to their nerdfort in the PvE server? Also, how hard is it going to be to grind fighting? I still remember the joy of the blacklighter home server having higher mob density because people were retarded at math.

Even if they could find our village and get enough players with maxed out combat skills to cooperate over Teamspeak for the contiguous 6+ hours it would take to raid us across servers, they would still all get slaughtered in minutes by our allies who all have maxed out combat skills plus kingdom title bonuses/equipment, horses, and the artifacts, like the bullshit Scepter of Ascension that can apparently two-shot players through platemail. That would be really entertaining to watch actually. Getting 20 fighting on a practice doll is pretty fast now with the 3x skillgain, after that you can reach 70 fighting and 90 weapon/shield skill in a week minimum if you poopsock and also use our secret horsecocking techniques, 2-3 weeks is more likely if you focus mostly on combat training and play at a sustainable pace. I went from like 1-30 fighting in one week without any village assistance, and 40-70 fighting in another week with help from Spyde and Orty on a big hunting trip

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Been playing this on a local server aka single player with all the rates turned up. Wurm seems to have built up quite a bit of character over the years and it's quite a relaxing and entertaining game to play on just a PvE or creative level. Certainly not as directed as the Elder Scrolls series but it blows them out of the water in terms of casual open world exploration not to mention the complexity and variety of the crafting and building tools. I suppose the point of this post is to let people know Wurm is just not for the hardcore PvP crowd.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I briefly played WURM Online the last time there was a free two week goon rush thing going on, and it seemed pretty okay. I'm not really sold on buying what is effectively "Minecraft with Morrowind graphics" as a standalone game, though. Can someone sell me on it?

Shazaam
Nov 23, 2010

The tears and whimpering of those you kill and the fact that it doesn't take you a year to build up skills to fight effectively. Being systematically organized goes a long way in this game and the PVP is terrible, but winning and destroying villages is fun.

I'm currently trying to win the PVE game after 11 years of subscription fun. Good to see JR (Ziggy) and those that left a long time ago still around.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
RIP Black Legion Chaos.

Nietzschean posted:

I briefly played WURM Online the last time there was a free two week goon rush thing going on, and it seemed pretty okay. I'm not really sold on buying what is effectively "Minecraft with Morrowind graphics" as a standalone game, though. Can someone sell me on it?

Shazaam posted:

The tears and whimpering of those you kill and the fact that it doesn't take you a year to build up skills to fight effectively. Being systematically organized goes a long way in this game and the PVP is terrible, but winning and destroying villages is fun.

What Shazaam said I can agree with somewhat. The game's PvP is my favourite part of the game, but the system that it's done with is horribly bug riddled and not conventionally fun. What I mean by unconventionally fun, is that this game has somewhat intense community building, at least for the smaller kingdoms. I am only talking about Wurm Online in this post, as I hate the entire notion of Wurm Unlimited. You cannot safely grind your skills for however long you want and expect for it to be there if you take a year hiatus, where as Wurm at least has its roots in the ground and I can safely dedicate my time to grinding up skills, making my account better in any area I choose, and not have to worry about having to do the game grind again.

The game has a pretty intricate economy. I just sold a forge that I made for the equivalent of 21 euros. It would've sold for 30+ euros on the forums, but I have played with this player for the past few months, and he's a good guy so I would've parted with it for whatever he deemed fair, honestly.
Most rares will sell for 5 silver at least, which is the equivalent of 5 euros if you were to "cash out".

This makes the PvE side of things at least a little interesting, since you can have these RNG rares / supremes come up now and again that are a joy to collect, trade, and over time improve. I personally don't see the draw to PvE, as on the PvP server in the main cluster, you can join a kingdom which is essentially PvE PLUS. Not to say they're "indestructable", but the kingdom is so big that if you choose to live inside an inland deed, you will not see PvP come to you, but you can actively participate in the PvP any time that you may wish. This is an unbiased opinion, because it's also the kingdom that has disbanded my own about a week ago.

If you want complete transparency and no-one not even spies or anything to possibly have access to your stash of rares, or you just like the solo / nomadic life, the PvP server is not for you.
I had my supreme / rares sitting inside village while the enemy was also inside the village though, and they're simple as all hell to secure. But I'm also unemployed and recently took a break from college, so I was able to hop on during any given time.

Over my two month stay back in Chaos, and after joining what was the smallest kingdom in Chaos at the time, I made friendships that you would not make in any other games. I played Eve pretty hardcore, I played WoW a little, but you would make these friends that are off doing their own thing 90% of the time where they're making money or whatever. In Wurm, you'll be working along side these people to achieve common goals. Now, if you have too much 'stuff', whatever it may be, and you don't have the people to either live in it & defend, or whatever, things can become stressful. I turbonerded the hell out of the last raid ban and stayed up almost 24 hours attempting to help fix the damage done to a village that got damaged heavily hours prior to the raid ban.
I did this alongside maybe 7+ other people over the span of a few days, although the first day I put drastically more effort into things, of course.

Anyways, some footage of a raid gone wrong here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXLg9tr6x9w
You might remember where the local list is since you played Wurm Online, bottom right corner. You can watch as it quickly fills up with white names after Felinas enters local.We had our forces completely split, two inside their walls, and two outside the walls. We were hopelessly outmatched regardless, and honestly it was somewhat of a plan gone wrong. Of course, divulging our 'secrets' way after the fact doesn't much matter, but I was at that time a recent Mol Rehan defect ( took a 1 year hiatus, came back for a week, decided I didn't want to be in the strongest kingdom as I saw absolutely no PvP -- only cause I didn't participate in honesty )
So they got me to hit the alarm and start catapulting, but I had absolutely horsecrap skills in regards to longsword skill, as well as I had poor armor, making it rough for me to tank and kill the templar as well as actively raid a deed myself.
So after hiding in the bushes for a short while, my friends came to help and we made good progress on their deed.

If you don't want to pay a sub, maybe WU might yield some of the same experiences, but I like having things to work towards without some ridiculously increased skillgain and you able to max relevant PvP and related PvP skills in no time. I am interested in looking at Epic, but only as a honeymoon server.

Playing the game while a student I was able to easily make my 10 silver a month for gametime, essentially making my gameplay free, with only a little grind. Of course, living on campus makes it really easy to manage my social life while still gaming, but that's on rares alone, completely ignoring the fact that you could also be making supremes, or doing work for someone else.

Another thing I enjoy is that the community is small enough that you can be easily recognized and given a reputation, I know that a lot of people know me although I don't particularly know them.

*experiences may differ*

Hope you give the game another try. It doesn't do enough advertising, so it's nice to have new people coming in. Been trying to get people to give the game a chance through other outlets, too, but it's a rough game for newer players.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I'm int he game but I can't seem to find goontown. Can the compass be off because I made a different character and east was in a slightly different direction. Interestingly enough I found a lake with both of the character I made but no fort.

CubeManCM
Feb 2, 2016

I'm unsure of the rest of the goons but Johnnyrascal,Orty,Spyde and Crew originally played with us on Wyvern. Unfortunately after a clear sweep our enemies left the server which lead to us leaving it for a new one. While Orty and a few others came over it eventually started to lead to inactivity and then most of the original goons were gone. We were banned from Mythmoor for reporting bugs (no joke) and moved to another server. Orty came with us for a bit but does prefer PVE Servers and i haven't seen him online on steam. Johnny I really haven't talked to in a while.

If you have purchased the game we are running our own server. I am unsure of what's going on with Johnnyrascal or the original private goonserver but anyone who does purchase the game and is looking for a server is welcome to play on ours. If your looking for a PVE Aspect then Wyvern is your best bet (Wyvern cause the admins aren't shitheads).

I would recommend not to purchase the game if your looking to soley play with fellow goons as of right now i am unsure where most went.

Edit:

We do still have the "tools" that Orty made for our kingdom. I'm pretty sure he would be okay with sharing it with fellow goons if asked. Just PM me or post here. We've been working on them making them better and even have some other "tools" we made for the game.

CubeManCM fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

CubeManCM posted:

I'm unsure of the rest of the goons but Johnnyrascal,Orty,Spyde and Crew originally played with us on Wyvern. Unfortunately after a clear sweep our enemies left the server which lead to us leaving it for a new one. While Orty and a few others came over it eventually started to lead to inactivity and then most of the original goons were gone. We were banned from Mythmoor for reporting bugs (no joke) and moved to another server. Orty came with us for a bit but does prefer PVE Servers and i haven't seen him online on steam. Johnny I really haven't talked to in a while.

If you have purchased the game we are running our own server. I am unsure of what's going on with Johnnyrascal or the original private goonserver but anyone who does purchase the game and is looking for a server is welcome to play on ours. If your looking for a PVE Aspect then Wyvern is your best bet (Wyvern cause the admins aren't shitheads).

I would recommend not to purchase the game if your looking to soley play with fellow goons as of right now i am unsure where most went.

Edit:

We do still have the "tools" that Orty made for our kingdom. I'm pretty sure he would be okay with sharing it with fellow goons if asked. Just PM me or post here. We've been working on them making them better and even have some other "tools" we made for the game.

Oh is Johnny 'Milp'? Could be that they're all Macedon on WO now, if they went together.

CubeManCM
Feb 2, 2016

Stik3 posted:

Oh is Johnny 'Milp'? Could be that they're all Macedon on WO now, if they went together.

No, If Milp is still Milp then he's an old facepunch player.

Borat
Apr 20, 2004
Anyone still in contact with Curtains?

Wurm, how I miss wandering lost in the wild, running for my life, falling into a hole and dieing a slow painful death.

One of the only sandbox type games that really felt like a living world.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Is there still a goon presence anywhere? Preferably a server with other players and not just 4 or 5 goons all alone. Hankering for some Wurm action but not gonna buy it if no one's playing still :smith:

E: Ohhh poo poo it's on sale on Steam! 40% off so I can't not try it.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 16, 2016

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is there still a goon presence anywhere? Preferably a server with other players and not just 4 or 5 goons all alone. Hankering for some Wurm action but not gonna buy it if no one's playing still :smith:

E: Ohhh poo poo it's on sale on Steam! 40% off so I can't not try it.

I was seriously debating buying a server since the PVP options seem to either be either "1000x Skill Gain LOL!" or some hardcore bullshit. If we could get a few goons playing to show the population wasn't poo poo the pubbies would follow.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

I was seriously debating buying a server since the PVP options seem to either be either "1000x Skill Gain LOL!" or some hardcore bullshit. If we could get a few goons playing to show the population wasn't poo poo the pubbies would follow.

If you do it I'll play.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If you do it I'll play.

It's done. The server finished setting up last night and I ordered some pretty beefy specs for it.

Planning on setting up the map, mods and settings tonight. I was thinking of setting it to 15x skill 5x action. If you guys have any reccomendations for any of that let me know?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

It's done. The server finished setting up last night and I ordered some pretty beefy specs for it.

Planning on setting up the map, mods and settings tonight. I was thinking of setting it to 15x skill 5x action. If you guys have any reccomendations for any of that let me know?

I have literally not played Wurm for several years and haven't touched this new one at all so don't look at me! But getting some goons together for a new server rush should be fun. I guess if the plan is to have pubbies turn up eventually we/you should probably pretty up the spawn area with GM tools? I'm assuming brand new maps don't come with a newbie village.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I have literally not played Wurm for several years and haven't touched this new one at all so don't look at me! But getting some goons together for a new server rush should be fun. I guess if the plan is to have pubbies turn up eventually we/you should probably pretty up the spawn area with GM tools? I'm assuming brand new maps don't come with a newbie village.

I'm pretty positive it doesn't populate the starting towns so that definitely something that can be done. If anyone else is interested I could dole out gm roles and we could ideally get a couple goons per kingdom setting up starting towns.

I'm still looking into the other server options available but it looks like there is a good ammount of control.

Planning on having the heightmap done tonight I will post it up once complete.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

I'm pretty positive it doesn't populate the starting towns so that definitely something that can be done. If anyone else is interested I could dole out gm roles and we could ideally get a couple goons per kingdom setting up starting towns.

I'm still looking into the other server options available but it looks like there is a good ammount of control.

Planning on having the heightmap done tonight I will post it up once complete.

What timezone you in? I'm GMT so your "tonight" is probably my "early morning".

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

EST so it it would. I'm getting home in a few and will work out the map.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Never got far in the MMO version because it felt like I would have to waste my life away to do anything of any significance. I'd give an accelerated server a shot though. Bought the game during the sale. Still not sure how I feel about it. Great concept though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kudaros posted:

Never got far in the MMO version because it felt like I would have to waste my life away to do anything of any significance. I'd give an accelerated server a shot though. Bought the game during the sale. Still not sure how I feel about it. Great concept though.

That was my main complaint as well, It sucks too cause there really isnt another game out there that does everything that wurm does (often with a large amount of jank). Its one of those games that once you are over the initial learning / skill hurdles you will either love it or never want to touch it again. Increased skill gains should help a whole lot in this regard.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm assuming brand new maps don't come with a newbie village.

Mystery solved...

Debating keeping this sunken noob town.

• Locked thread