Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'll play it until I feel like im over that hurdle then decide if it is negatively impacting my life.

Yeah, that's a good strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

That was my main complaint as well, It sucks too cause there really isnt another game out there that does everything that wurm does (often with a large amount of jank). Its one of those games that once you are over the initial learning / skill hurdles you will either love it or never want to touch it again. Increased skill gains should help a whole lot in this regard.

Mystery solved...

Debating keeping this sunken noob town.

Server name: Atlantis

Good to know it provides some basic newbie town though! Keep us updated if you get a live server :)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kudaros posted:

I'll play it until I feel like im over that hurdle then decide if it is negatively impacting my life.

Yeah, that's a good strategy.

I guess my point was that the increased skill gain should eliminate that hurdle.

Also the following guidelines will greatly increase your wurm experience:

Raise your taming till you can tame horses ASAP Horses are probably the biggest quality of life improvement available in wurm. On top of being able to out run the majority of hostile creatures it's speed is not affected by your stamina, hunger, and weight (to a degree).

Never dig your own mine solo. mindlessly whacking away a rocks is a terrible game mechanic and it's extra bad in wurm. On most servers there should be tons of abandoned mines with furnaces and anvils ready to go, and if you are lucky tons of trash ore, tools and weapons for you to train with. Also, never take your horse into a cave unless you are 120% positive it's monster free. Unlit sections of caves can spawn a monsters ranging from rats to lava spiders.

Set up keybindings for basic or repetative tasks. go to http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/key_bindings and follow the instructions to save you a boat load of right clicking.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Server name: Atlantis

Good to know it provides some basic newbie town though! Keep us updated if you get a live server :)

I hoping to have something final by late tonight or tommorrow. Spent way to much time dicking with the heightmap and resource generation.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

I hoping to have something final by late tonight or tommorrow. Spent way to much time dicking with the heightmap and resource generation.

Any joy?

Kigro
Jul 8, 2007
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
During the sale I went and picked this up for myself and a buddy that used to play about 11 years ago. What's the scoop on the new server, I'd love to hop in to re-learn the ropes!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kigro posted:

During the sale I went and picked this up for myself and a buddy that used to play about 11 years ago. What's the scoop on the new server, I'd love to hop in to re-learn the ropes!

It's coming along, the biggest hang up has been the lack of documentation for implementing custom stuff so I've been having to trial and error a lot of it. Typically its a 10-15 min upload each time i want try a big edit to the map or investigate spawn points, or completely gently caress up a GM flatten. Right now I'm getting mods up and running which is pretty manual since i'm not physically hosting the server myself. That being said i have a pretty sick Morrowind map going:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

It's coming along, the biggest hang up has been the lack of documentation for implementing custom stuff so I've been having to trial and error a lot of it. Typically its a 10-15 min upload each time i want try a big edit to the map or investigate spawn points, or completely gently caress up a GM flatten. Right now I'm getting mods up and running which is pretty manual since i'm not physically hosting the server myself. That being said i have a pretty sick Morrowind map going:

This looks pretty loving excellent. Moutains, steppe, rivers, island, archipelago... I like it!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This looks pretty loving excellent. Moutains, steppe, rivers, island, archipelago... I like it!

yeah it definitely seems like its going to play pretty nice. Once i get the mods going I think this will be at a point where I wont have to re-upload constantly.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Looks really good. Hope you seeded a lot of ore.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty hilarious how every single player-made map is leagues better than every single one of the post-Notch maps on the main servers.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I feel dirty for admitting it but I kind of miss playing this game.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Moddington posted:

It's pretty hilarious how every single player-made map is leagues better than every single one of the post-Notch maps on the main servers.

My main concern with my current map is it's too ragged. When I first put it up it was every thing was super bumpy which would have been a nightmare to level out.

So after pretty much saying gently caress it to mods for the moment I'm going to leave the server running.

It's listed in the server browser as:

Edda PVP [15x skill][7x action][Epic]

Right now im working on the spawns so their states range from totally barren (mol rehan) to super hosed (horde). Right now I'm focused on starter zones and will more than likely have to revert the server data a number of times in the process, so don't go doing any effort building just yet.

I could totally use the help building starter zones up so if you want gm status make a character and post it's name in the thread.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

So I've got all the starting zones set up and I'm at a point where i can comfortably say I wont be wiping anything from here on out. Gonna take the weekend to set up some dedicated PVE spawns, political objects and fix any random locations that might need it but other than that its ready to go.

Also Going to work up some posts for the main forum and steam to try and get some pubbies in.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jimlit posted:

So I've got all the starting zones set up and I'm at a point where i can comfortably say I wont be wiping anything from here on out. Gonna take the weekend to set up some dedicated PVE spawns, political objects and fix any random locations that might need it but other than that its ready to go.

Also Going to work up some posts for the main forum and steam to try and get some pubbies in.

Neat!! I have been away over the Easter weekend so unable to play but now that I know there's gonna be no more resets I'm totally down to join. If I'm gonna build a goony shitshack I'd like to be near-ish other people so it's the nomad life for me until we pick a spot.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Started playing on the server. Getting a feel for things. Is there anyway to see a map with the guard towers locations and such?

Also I tried founding a settlement but says I must be within 50 tiles of the Kingdom I'm associated with. Is this within Mol Rehan (my chosen kingdom) or what? I don't want to conflict with the no build zone.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'm playing on his server! Right now!! I'm digging holes and making a mess!!! If anyone wants to join me I'm trying to set up a mine nearby.

I've found iron and I've built a shitshack and everything, y'all are missing out :colbert:

E:

You all know you jealous

E2:

help

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the server down or has everyone migrated?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So I started playing this again on Wyvern, I always get hooked into this game every few months or so. I logged in and found myself standing in the ruins of our castle on the pvp server. I wanted to set up there and try to rebuild but the mine doors were locked and we had no deed. I did try to find the merchant that they had in what used to be the town of our ally but it had been taken over by squatters and I died. Where we used to live was basically in a forest on top of a hill, which then went down to some plains onto a beach which was next to a large lake. The entire area is now one dense forest since I last played, I didnīt realise trees spread by themselves and it looked completely different.

I had nothing after dying so went wandering to see if anyone was left from our old Kingdom, but its pretty much dead. So right now I am set up at the side of a lake in a small forest. Making crude tools out of branches and stone and figuring out what to do next.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Yoooooo I haven't played this game in about forever. Is Wurm Unlimited where its at now or does everyone still play wurm online. By everyone I obviously mean the six or one people who still play wurm.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Yoooooo I haven't played this game in about forever. Is Wurm Unlimited where its at now or does everyone still play wurm online. By everyone I obviously mean the six or one people who still play wurm.

There's plenty of people still playing Wurm Online but I prefer Unlimited. Because you pay once and there are no skill limits and the private server I play on has a fairly large population and increased XP rates.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's no reason to play Wurm Online unless you love horrible grognards and paying a monthly fee. Unlimited is the cool thing now.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So I just founded a deed on Wyvern PvE. If anyone is interested in building a village with me shoot me a PM, or add me on steam. Same username as here. Or send me a tell in game also the same username. Iīve found a really good spot not to far from the starting deed so a long adventure to reach the village isnīt required. So far I have a small mine, plenty of space and water. Oh and a guard tower to keep us safe.

Rejdukien
Jul 24, 2008
There's about 4 or 5 goons in that village now! Also I managed to hit digging 50 before my 24h newbie buffs ran out!

I think I need help.

Edit: I'm actually pretty happy I made Jacada go "what the hell is going on"
code:
[20:32:55] <Jacada> the hill is a monster
[20:33:01] <Jacada> what have you been doing
[20:33:17] <Jacada> oh god
[20:33:19] <Jacada> how much have you dug
[20:33:26] <Rejdukien> .... A lot?
[20:33:33] <Hazlen> we were pretty industrious yesterday
[20:33:35] <Rejdukien> Not even done yet
[20:33:43] <Jacada> all the way to the mountain
[20:34:01] <Jacada> you guys make me feel like i have accomplished nothing in my wurm life
[20:34:14] <Hazlen> lmao
[20:34:48] <Jacada> fking hell
[20:35:03] <Jacada> theres literally a chunk of the hill missing

Rejdukien fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

so we are playing on the age of urath server now. the XP rate is five times faster than wurm online and we have loads of cool mods. Theres about 7 of us right now I think?

yeah anyway we found a champion troll and killed it, we ate its meat and then buried it and was awarded 5 silver for doing so.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
I got the game today.
What is the to-go server nowadays? Are there any goons currently playing?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone kept up on the mod scene? I'm hoping one day to have water that isn't at the same height on every map. I'm sure that is hardcoded in some way though.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I just started out with a friend on the Iron Moors server if anyone's interested. 10x/10x which is nice with limited playtime, and a lot of good mods.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Dracneir posted:

I just started out with a friend on the Iron Moors server if anyone's interested. 10x/10x which is nice with limited playtime, and a lot of good mods.

Whats your ingame name?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Steeb. Friend is WardenTorBaal. We are set up along the north coast of Mordian, kind of betweem G11 and H11 on the server map. We're both horrible casuals so only have 1 house set up so far.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Dracneir posted:

Steeb. Friend is WardenTorBaal. We are set up along the north coast of Mordian, kind of betweem G11 and H11 on the server map. We're both horrible casuals so only have 1 house set up so far.

I had a wander around on the server you guys are on but I think I prefer Zenath! The higher population makes it a little more interesting too.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Understandable. We looked at Zenath too but decided on 10x/10x rather than 8x/5x due to super casual status. The small community on Ironmoor seems good so far, pretty helpful.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Does anyone still have the big updated macro pack I released about a year ago?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Does anyone still have the big updated macro pack I released about a year ago?

Thought I did but I must of deleted it, I could never work out how to get the drat things to work.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Here we go, I think these are the most updated versions of my macros. They use AutoIt and require you to set a bunch of key bindings as specified in the constants at the top of each macro file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1z4nna0969xmrqf/Wurm_Macros.zip

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

3 of us have a pretty nice little town started up on the Ironmoors 10x/10x server. Large area all flattened with lots of room to expand. Plenty of room for any goons who want to join!

Ziggy is playing with us and is Macro King, so we already have QL 50 tools, with weapons and armor to follow.

Here's where we are on the server map:

Take the spawn portal to West Helios and run south, or take the portal to Mordian and run north, cross the river, then keep going north until you hit the bay. Only take 20 or 30 mins on foot to get to us as a new char.

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2017

Orty
May 14, 2007

Been having a craving to play Wurm (or a game like it) for a bit now. Are you guys still somewhat active on Ironmoors?

Do we still have copies of the "bear mods" I wrote? I don't have the source for them anymore sadly.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Yes we are. 4 of us now. I'll be on tomorrow, we can get you set up in the village.

Not sure on the mods but I've been using Hempfire's/Ziggy's macros a lot.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Two weeks of progress from the last screenshot:

Lot of surface mining going on to expand the plot which is why there's rock exposed. Still only a handful of us, anyone welcome to join if they want to check out the server.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I imagine the old SA Wurm community is dead as all hell, but are any of you dudes interested in transitioning to Life is Feudal once the MMO opens up in a month or two? It started rough like 3 years ago but it's pretty polished and fleshed out now, and the MMO map is loving gigantic and supposedly runs really smoothly in the closed beta. I used to play a lot of Wurm with goons several years back and LIF is basically the Wurm concept (medieval sandbox) but done in a good engine with Mount and Blade combat without the fantasy elements, the only thing that is missing is horse-drawn carts, boats, and being able to build custom buildings. It's full PVP as well on a single server, any Wurm goons still around should look into it.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

I imagine the old SA Wurm community is dead as all hell, but are any of you dudes interested in transitioning to Life is Feudal once the MMO opens up in a month or two? It started rough like 3 years ago but it's pretty polished and fleshed out now, and the MMO map is loving gigantic and supposedly runs really smoothly in the closed beta. I used to play a lot of Wurm with goons several years back and LIF is basically the Wurm concept (medieval sandbox) but done in a good engine with Mount and Blade combat without the fantasy elements, the only thing that is missing is horse-drawn carts, boats, and being able to build custom buildings. It's full PVP as well on a single server, any Wurm goons still around should look into it.

Some of us are still playing Wurm, unfortunately.

• Locked thread