Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rebel Galaxy is an open-universe, space-trading and combat game by Double Damage Games (creators of the Torchlight series and featuring several designers from the original Diablo team).

From the developers:

quote:

Rebel Galaxy is a swashbuckling space adventure, with action-packed combat, exploration, discovery, trade, and “negotiation” with the outlandish denizens at the edge of the known universe.

Unlike most other games in this genre, where the player controls a small "space trucker" ship, in Rebel Galaxy you pilot a full-on capital ship, with broadside guns and turrets. There's a lot to do here: combat against ships and stations, trading within a dynamic economy, exploration, and a rich mission system with a full storyline-based campaign. Combat is real-time "naval" style -- it's more about tactics and positioning than twitchy shooting -- think Star Trek, not Star Wars.

The setting and style of the game is best described as "space western", sort of a mix of Firefly and Borderlands. The soundtrack is a mix of rockin' dive-bar blues. It fits the mood of the game perfectly. Don't care for that type of music? No problem. There's full support for custom soundtracks built in.

Rebel Galaxy is completely single-player, so don't expect it to be the next Elite: Dangerous or... uh... Star Citizen, but the universe Double Damage has created is very well fleshed-out.

Release Date: October 20, 2015
(Steam), TBD (PS4 and Xbone)

Platforms:
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290300/
Playstation 4
Xbox One

Media:
Trailer
Giant Bomb (Quick Look video)
IGN (review - 8/10)

Twitch streams of Rebel Galaxy

Screenshots:

:siren: Data Sheets of All Flyable Ships: http://imgur.com/a/QaJho :siren:

Station Events: (stolen from Reddit)

quote:

ARCHEOLOGICAL FIND

- Prices Up: None
- Prices Down: Intellectual Property, Alien Artifacts, Religious Tracts
- Special: Spawns a Treasure Ship, which slowly travels to another station. When it arrives, a Tech Boom will begin. Destroying the Treasure Ship will prevent the Tech Boom.

ARMS RACE

- Prices Up: Ceramic Plating, Robots, Munitions, Nuts and Bolts
- Special: Spawns a Treaty Ship at another station, which slowly travels toward this one. When it arrives, it will end the Arms Race. Destroying the Treaty Ship will prolong the Arms Race.

CONVOY INCOMING

- Prices Down: None
- Special: Spawns a convoy at another station, which slowly travels towards this one. When it arrives, a Market Glut event will begin. Destroying the convoy will prevent the Market Glut.

CRIME WAVE

- Prices Up: Space Slaves
- Special: Spawns a blockade of Red Devil Cartel ships surrounding the station, which will fire on approaching Citizenry. Destroying the pirate ships will end the Crime Wave.
- Speculation: Other contraband goods may have their prices increased as well.

ECONOMIC BOOM

- Prices Up: Data Cubes, Robots, Ceramic Plating, Intellectual Property, Nano-Fibers
- Prices Down: Nuts and Bolts, Tachyon Salt
- Prices Change In Some Direction, But Not Very Much, So It's Hard To Tell Whic: Yikyak Meat, Pure Water, Greel Whiskey, Designer Clothes

FAMINE

- Prices Up: Soy Paste, Yikyak Meat, Tachyon Salt
- Prices Down: Space Slaves
- Special: Spawns a Relief Ship at another station, which slowly travels to this one. When the Relief Ship arrives, the Famine ends. Destroying the Relief Ship will prolong the Famine.

HUGE CELEBRATION

- Prices Up: Tachyon Salt, Narco-Cola, Designer Clothes, Meteoric Diamonds, Greel Whiskey

KORIAN INVASION

- Prices Up: All! No, really, all of them!
- Special: Spawns a fleet of Korian Outsiders moving towards this station, led by a flagship with a sizable bounty. When they arrive, they will begin a Korian Siege. Destroying the flagship will end the invasion and avert the siege.

KORIAN SIEGE

- Prices Up: N/A
- Prices Down: N/A
- Special: The fleet spawned by the preceding Korian Invasion lays siege to the station. The station will neither buy nor sell commodities until the siege ends. Destroying the flagship will break the siege.

MARKET GLUT

- Prices Down: Munitions, Yikyak Meat, Tachyon Salt, Gold Ingots, Nuts and Bolts, Metallic Ores, Ceramic Plating, Data Cubes, Robots, Intellectual Property, Nano-Fibers, Obtainium, Designer Clothes, Meteoric Diamonds, Greel Whiskey, Pure Water

MILITIA EMBARGO

- Prices Up: All
- Special: Spawns a fleet of Militia ships blockading the station, which was will fire on any approaching ships, regardless of your faction standings.

MINING RUSH

- Prices Up: Space Slaves
- Prices Down: Metallic Ores, Obtainium, Gold Ingots, Meteoric Diamonds

PIRATE LORD SIGHTED

- Special: Spawns a Pirate Lord near the station, heading towards another station. Pirate Lords command powerful ships, have very large bounties, and will drop cargo containers containing rare or unique weapons when destroyed.

TECH BOOM

- Prices Up: Intellectual Property
- Prices Down: Ceramic Plating, Data Cubes, Robots, Nano-Fibers

WAR

- Prices Up: Munitions, Nuts and Bolts, Robots, Bio-Waste
- Prices Down: Live Organs, Space Slaves
- Special: Spawns a Treaty Ship at another station, which slowly travels to this one. When the Treaty Ship arrives, the War ends. Destroying the Treaty Ship will prolong the War.
- Note: This event has no effect on surrounding space other than spawning the Treaty Ship. The war in question is occurring on the planet's surface, not in space.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This game is only on a 2d plane though right? That feels really weird for a 3d game.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Reason posted:

This game is only on a 2d plane though right? That feels really weird for a 3d game.

That is correct, at least for the PC scale ships.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a 1-to-1 of Black Flag/Rogue ship combat, but I wonder if it has systems and content in place to prevent the eventual tedium of that game. Different ships and weapons will probably help with that but I imagine the quests will be a big problem there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks interesting, will definitely keep it on my radar.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Reason posted:

Yeah, although it's sort of "submarine style", where there is a shallow z-axis plane, allowing you to go over and under other ships. Turrets can be placed on the top or bottom of your ship, so z-positioning is still somewhat important in combat.

All of the systems and stations you can travel to are basically on a flat plane though.

After playing hundreds of hours of Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, this doesn't bother me at all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fighters are totally 3d, but you don't fly them, you launch them.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Something that bears mention is the soundtrack, some great space twang going on here:
http://rebel-galaxy.com/the-rebel-galaxy-soundtrack/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFB3Lgn1fY

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 19, 2015

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This comes out in less than an hour on Steam.

The language in the developer's press releases makes it sound like the PS4 and Xbone versions launch today too, but I haven't seen anything on the respective stores yet. From what I've seen on Twitch, the game works just fine with a controller.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

WhiteHowler posted:

From what I've seen on Twitch, the game works just fine with a controller.
Picked it up before work this morning. Their pre-game options screen suggests using a gamepad, and from the 30 minutes I played it works well.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 20, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's worth noting that the game retails for $20 ($18 on steam due to launch sale,) so if you're curious it's not that much of an investment to try it out.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Been looking forward to this. All the videos I've seen so far have been positive, but I haven't played it yet. Will probably take the plunge later tonight.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Played a couple hours of this, and its a lot of fun. Kind of reminds me of Freespace in how arcade-y the fighting is, although it is more naval positioning and broadsides. Pretty satisfying progression on upgrading stuff so far as well. And can't say enough about how baller this soundtrack is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Literally just bought this simply because of that soundtrack. Wow. Just wow. If its only half as fun as the Black Flag naval combat, this'll be a worthy purchase.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can anyone elaborate on the non-combat aspects of gameplay? Do you have an individual character with a crew that you can talk to, trade routes that can be established, upgrade paths, etc.? How many aliens can I gently caress in this game?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the non-combat aspects of gameplay? Do you have an individual character with a crew that you can talk to, trade routes that can be established, upgrade paths, etc.? How many aliens can I gently caress in this game?

There's a story that involves your aunt who left you the ship and some mysterious thing that you are trying to figure out what it does. You don't have an individual or crew, although you can hire one merc to fly wingman with you. There are dialog options inside space stations but they are just like from menus, not you walking around.

There's main missions dealing with that story and then a ton of side missions which I think are random, some of which affect various faction standing toward you. You can do trading and mining as well, although I haven't messed with either of those things much yet. You can buy different ships, weapons, turrets, secondary weapons like missiles or flak, armor, shields, engines, subsystems, there's a lot of poo poo to buy. There's no character specific upgrade paths, it's all just equipment.

You can gently caress all the aliens, all of them. Assuming by "gently caress" you mean shoot with a billion lasers until they explode.

It's basically you-as-the-ship, there's no character walking around or anything like that.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Was really looking forward to this, bought it and am downloading now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

exquisite tea posted:

You can shoot things whilst listening to great music. That's about it. I mean, you can trade, its just a tad dull.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The trailer shows you talking to some alien and having different options on how to respond, that's the rpg part of the game i assume.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tip for anyone doing some early mining - get yourself a fault tracker and then head to an ice field. I had much better results there than in asteroid fields.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its Free-Black Flag-Lancer with a decent blues rock sound track.

Factions are basically what everyone thought factions in Freelancer were going to be and the story seems smart enough to stay out of your meticulous faction grinding, unlike Freelancer. Although I'm not very far so no promises.

The trading isn't as rail roaded as Freelancer, but it seems largely anchored on events and station "economy" categories with a little bit of rival AI traders throwing noise at the prices, so it isn't dynamic evolving poo poo like X or Patrician. A pretty normal space game economy that wouldn't be out of place in the me-toos that came after Freelancer.

Basically its exactly as advertised in the leadup. Black Flag ship combat in a Freelancer universe is going to be exactly as compelling as you think it is, so anyone on the fence should have an easy decision.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
can i join a pirate group and kill spacecops

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The beam broadsides are fantastic. Just let your turrets drop a shield facing and wham. I like to carry a swarm missile turret set to fighters only too.

Soothing Vapors posted:

can i join a pirate group and kill spacecops

There are militia hit missions, yeah. You can boost your standings with the pirates by doing them, but then you have the cops angry at you and they're both heavily armed and present at stations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
does equipment carry over when you upgrade ships?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

There are militia hit missions, yeah. You can boost your standings with the pirates by doing them, but then you have the cops angry at you and they're both heavily armed and present at stations.
There seem to be pirate stations around, so I assume you could dock up at those.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

does equipment carry over when you upgrade ships?
Yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Black Flag naval combat in space? This sounds extremely my jam, the naval combat was the one good part of that game.

are there seaspace shanties

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Black Flag naval combat in space? This sounds extremely my jam, the naval combat was the one good part of that game.

are there seaspace shanties

No, but there's a pretty nice blues rock soundtrack.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
When the press release of this game hit Youtube it popped onto my radar. It was the music more than anything else that drew me in so I sent an email to the devs saying that I saw the game on a youtuber's channel and it looked awesome and I was going to keep an eye on it. The developers are awesome, the reply they sent including 6 press keys for myself and five friends to try out the game. I was hooked at once. I thought the 2D combat would be strange but you get used to it very very fast.

And the music is incredible. It's totally dynamic and fits the setting so well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well, I'm sold then. Music is more and more lately becoming something I really look out for in games.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

poo poo, 18bux? I can roll the dice on that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They need to sell the soundtrack to this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wafflz posted:

They need to sell the soundtrack to this.
Its all licensed stuff, so I expect between itunes, Amazon, and BandCamp, its already all for sale (with contracts stopping the devs from putting a package together to sell themselves).

They've got the list on their website:

BabelFish posted:

Something that bears mention is the soundtrack, some great space twang going on here:
http://rebel-galaxy.com/the-rebel-galaxy-soundtrack/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFB3Lgn1fY

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is trading ridiculously profitable? I've made well over a quarter million space dollars in just a couple hours by buying low and selling high. You can make like 30k in the starting system just by going from point a to point b, which is a little nuts when a typical mission usually involves twice the work for a tenth of the pay

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

How do you mine? I get the part where you shoot asteroid with mining laser until asteroid goes boom, but then what? Do I need to scan or switch view somehow or how do I see if I mined something or not?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

zedprime posted:

Its all licensed stuff, so I expect between itunes, Amazon, and BandCamp, its already all for sale (with contracts stopping the devs from putting a package together to sell themselves).

They've got the list on their website:

True story: I spent $30 in blues rock to add to my $20 copy of the game.

Currently my favorite addition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tN875A3Bj8

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 20, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bernardo Orel posted:

How do you mine? I get the part where you shoot asteroid with mining laser until asteroid goes boom, but then what? Do I need to scan or switch view somehow or how do I see if I mined something or not?
Use a pulse to find asteroids that actually have something. Scan them and make sure its not just lovely ore that isn't worth your cargo space. Then either blow up with a mining laser, or get the special subsystem that gives you weakpoints to manually hit for extra drops.

Make sure you have a tractor beam too, if that wasn't obvious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now I can get my necessary allowance of space blues rock without having to play Starcraft.

Also the game is pretty good.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Use a pulse to find asteroids that actually have something. Scan them and make sure its not just lovely ore that isn't worth your cargo space. Then either blow up with a mining laser, or get the special subsystem that gives you weakpoints to manually hit for extra drops.

Make sure you have a tractor beam too, if that wasn't obvious.

Hm hm hm, "scan" and "use a pulse" are two different things? I only played for a bit so maybe I missed a button somewhere...

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bernardo Orel posted:

Hm hm hm, "scan" and "use a pulse" are two different things? I only played for a bit so maybe I missed a button somewhere...

scan is back on a 360 pad, tab on the KB. Button prompt is in the top left of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is it just me or is trading ridiculously profitable? I've made well over a quarter million space dollars in just a couple hours by buying low and selling high. You can make like 30k in the starting system just by going from point a to point b, which is a little nuts when a typical mission usually involves twice the work for a tenth of the pay
I don't know how the value proposition will extend to future systems, but you can get some crazy out of depth item drops from ships over the course of missions. Like I got a minelayer I didn't need that sold for 60k from a 8k reward bounty in the first system. And I just got a Mk3 Mining laser which I haven't even seen for sale yet in the first system.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread