Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Give one of your wrestlers a gimmick where they talk about frolf (golf with a frisbee) and riding their bike all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Only a year out from nearly $100k/year in merch sales.

Huh

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Get the skinniest, most toneless white boys you got and make them do the Steiner/Triple H flex off, weekly.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

You have 30 people at a show and your main concerns are starting online ticket sales, a Patreon, and wanting everyone to know that wrestlers have a finisher.

GO PUT UP SOME loving FLYERS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mob posted:

It's seriously this, dude. Walk before you run.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mob posted:

You have 30 people at a show and your main concerns are starting online ticket sales, a Patreon, and wanting everyone to know that wrestlers have a finisher.

its a goon project dude, chill, nothing will come of it

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Sign the homeless hobo goon from GBS, stick a fedora, Zorro mask and Rush T shirt on him, give him a catchphrase about ethics in game journalism.

Sign a random 500 lb activist woman in Seattle, dye her hair purple and have her not shave for a month.

Boom, your main event feud is now S.J. Jewel vs. The Gamergater.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I know a bunch of people are throwing ridiculous ideas at you, but I'm going to suggest nothing ultra silly like gimmick changes.

Your concern right now is getting the brand out there and getting video. So here's some of my ideas, you can take them or go for what sounds like JCW.

First, make sure your indie is on every social media magnet. Then you have to brand yourself as "anti-smark", the audience that "gives the audience what they want" but in a twisted metal switcheroo.

You're not comedic... But there is comedy. You make sure every "episode" is a ridiculous theme "hot dog night" "night of champion" (but it's the same championship match over and over) whatever you get requested, that's the lame idea that happens.

As for the camera. Get the hard cam, but also give fans in the audience a camera as well to help. The wcw fan cam! Splicing them with post-commentary.

If you want to show the finishers, just have them perform them on each other in clips and record those before an event.

It's tough to get the money, but you'll see it eventually, once you figure out the marketing and brand you're selling. My suggestion is "listen to the audience and mess with it" (PUBLIC DOMAIN MUSIC NIGHT where the entrances have to be public domain songs)

You've invented the indie wrestling version of the Chris Gethard show.

(And if you want an awful gimmick match - remix the 49ers match and have the belt in one of 12 gift wrapped boxes... rather or not you put the actual belt in it is up to you)

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bloodysabbath posted:

Sign the homeless hobo goon from GBS, stick a fedora, Zorro mask and Rush T shirt on him, give him a catchphrase about ethics in game journalism.

Sign a random 500 lb activist woman in Seattle, dye her hair purple and have her not shave for a month.

Boom, your main event feud is now S.J. Jewel vs. The Gamergater.

If you're going to beg for work use private messaging.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Mob posted:

He wants to turn 1000 Youtube views per video into $8k/month in merchandise sales in a year.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He wants to turn 1000 Youtube views per video into $8k/month in merchandise sales in a year.

then their best bet is to start bootlegging Cena merch and hope Jerry McDevitt retires soon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Get a wrestler named SuperPAC and he's just a bigger version of Neville but also political? I don't know this is a bad gimmick idea.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Give promos in the ring about taking a fed with 30 person audiences to a 8k/mo revenue stream in a year. When it doesn't happen, make yourself the world champion because you are a great ideas man and have your opponent be a dude who cuts promos about how you are stupid and you should just print and distribute a zillion flyers. Call him The Flyerman and have him do crazier and crazier things every week, like dump a garbage can full of flyers on you, or stand outside a popular shopping area and distribute flyers for the wrestling show.

Reality era.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Book as many remaining members of the Spirit Squad as you can find

And keep asking them whatever happened to Nicky

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ayn rand hand job posted:

its a goon project dude, chill, nothing will come of it

Imagine four indie wrestlers on the edge of a cliff.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

To be fair, I think he was including tickets and all other forms of revenue in the 8k/mo. That's still way out there, but not nearly as much as what you think he said.

That said, I would expect the vast, vast, vast majority of your revenue to come from ticket sales (and whatever carny tricks you have up your sleeve like charging $5 or whatever to have a picture taken with THE CHAMP after the show). Anything you do that is without the purpose of selling tickets is probably an iffy idea.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mob posted:

Can you do something for me real quck? Just, super quick here, SHUT YOUR loving IDIOT MOUTH. OK, great. thanks.

Since it's painfully clear that you can't read, or don't want to, or whatever let me go ahead and just chunk out a quick number here: 7
That's how many years DOA has been operating without me in it. And, by this ignorant rear end statement that I have to address because you clearly have some kind of learning deficiency, I'm going to guess that you assume that in the entire 7 years of operation they've never once put up flyers?! They do, They do alot. And this is all they have to show for it in almost a decade: 1500FB likes and average big show attendance of around: 200. SO CLEARLY THE FLYERS DON'T loving WORK THAT WELL DO THEY?!?!?!?! BECAUSE IF THEY DID THERE WOULD BE DEMONSTRABLE GROWTH OVER THAT PERIOD OF TIME INSTEAD OF YEAR AFTER YEAR OF FISCAL LOSS YOU SIMPLETON?!

The reason I'm focusing on online tickets sales, patreon, making sure wrestlers have a finisher, all the other poo poo you dick wads have been mocking me for is thus:
A) When someone learns of the product, its really really easy for the customer to give us money/reserve seats/buy things. It's 2015 for gently caress's sake, you shouldn't be operating a cash-only business anymore.
B) All these things are SUPER easy to set up. it's like 5-10 mins of work tops. Why not do it?
C) These things are SUPER Cheap for us to do. If I look at how much I may stand to make from all online fans that can't make it to shows (because they live far away) through Patreon Vs. How many people putting up 1 flyer at 1 bar brings in it seems like a more profitable endeavor to sacrifice 1 flyer to set up a patreon, also since I have to pay for the flyer print + transportation to get to the bar it's even more a cost effective endeavor.
D) Again, frameworks for growth. Set these things in motion now, so I can capitalize easier as new customers become aware of the product.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

So, like, are words hard for you or something? I have to quote myself here because, gently caress.

Trollologist posted:

My goal is to get to company to generate around $8000/mo in online merch/ticket sales, debit card transactions, patreon? dollars, and commission from sales of merch that wrestlers own themselves. Then, at least for me, it's a job. But realistically that's about a year out.

That, that LONG rear end list there, that is EVERY CHANNEL FOR REVENUE THAT I GET A CUT OF. THAT IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO TURN INTO $8k/mo. Not just "merch sales" Thanks for taking the time to do proper research before you shoot off your stupid opinions. I mean, I'm not even digging up an old rear end post, I wrote that today. like, it's on the same page.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Your concern right now is getting the brand out there and getting video. So here's some of my ideas, you can take them or go for what sounds like JCW.

First, make sure your indie is on every social media magnet. Then you have to brand yourself as "anti-smark", the audience that "gives the audience what they want" but in a twisted metal switcheroo.

You're not comedic... But there is comedy. You make sure every "episode" is a ridiculous theme "hot dog night" "night of champion" (but it's the same championship match over and over) whatever you get requested, that's the lame idea that happens.
I'm not sure if I want to get into the whole "anti-smark" angle. I just kind of want to promote it as: A Good Show worth seeing. or Just Good Wrestling. Or to get really basic: A fun time, check it out. Every american knows what pro-wrestling is. TONS of them watch similar stuff (action movies/TV shows, UFC, and so forth) Yet, from just a GROSS Revenue angle barely anyone watches Pro Wrestling. So I don't really want to double down on wrestling lingo, and smarky (or anti-smarky) promotion antics because in my mind it cuts off the really casual consumer that might go to something like this, and might come back because hey "it's a fun time, check it out."

As for the camera. Get the hard cam, but also give fans in the audience a camera as well to help. The wcw fan cam! Splicing them with post-commentary.
This is a good and interesting idea. Most smart phones record in like 1080p anyway so something like a "fan clip of the night" or whatnot could actually work pretty well. I'm not sure about legal, or setting up a channel for fans to submit videos (vine? I don't know) but this is a neat concept and I'll probably steal it.

If you want to show the finishers, just have them perform them on each other in clips and record those before an event.
That is exactly how I plan on doing it. :hfive:

My suggestion is "listen to the audience and mess with it" (PUBLIC DOMAIN MUSIC NIGHT where the entrances have to be public domain songs)
Setting up a comments/suggestions box naow.

bloodysabbath posted:

Give promos in the ring about taking a fed with 30 person audiences to a 8k/mo revenue stream in a year. When it doesn't happen, make yourself the world champion because you are a great ideas man and have your opponent be a dude who cuts promos about how you are stupid and you should just print and distribute a zillion flyers. Call him The Flyerman and have him do crazier and crazier things every week, like dump a garbage can full of flyers on you, or stand outside a popular shopping area and distribute flyers for the wrestling show.

Reality era.

Crap like this is why people hate wrestling. Wrestling just needs to stop pulling this poo poo. Stop using special words (mark/smark, face/heel, work/shoot) so that you and people "in the know" get to wink and nudge and feel like a member of the kool kids klub. Bending the 4th wall and dragging real life issues into a show so that you can say "no, for real, we're really real, really you guys it's not fake it's real" just makes you look stupid because you're not fooling anyone. Wrestling needs to grow the gently caress up. I mean it's 2015 and WWE is still trotting out Stone Cold and The Rock because in 14 years they haven't made anyone that can penetrate the market beyond wrestling fans. Hell, you guys are STILL watching Nitro, because wrestling as an industry hasn't had a good idea since '96.

I just want to focus on strong characters with concise motivations telling stories that actually payoff in a logical manner. And promote a show using sound business tactics.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trollologist posted:

Can you do something for me real quck? Just, super quick here, SHUT YOUR loving IDIOT MOUTH. OK, great. thanks.

Since it's painfully clear that you can't read, or don't want to, or whatever let me go ahead and just chunk out a quick number here: 7
That's how many years DOA has been operating without me in it. And, by this ignorant rear end statement that I have to address because you clearly have some kind of learning deficiency, I'm going to guess that you assume that in the entire 7 years of operation they've never once put up flyers?! They do, They do alot. And this is all they have to show for it in almost a decade: 1500FB likes and average big show attendance of around: 200. SO CLEARLY THE FLYERS DON'T loving WORK THAT WELL DO THEY?!?!?!?! BECAUSE IF THEY DID THERE WOULD BE DEMONSTRABLE GROWTH OVER THAT PERIOD OF TIME INSTEAD OF YEAR AFTER YEAR OF FISCAL LOSS YOU SIMPLETON?!

The reason I'm focusing on online tickets sales, patreon, making sure wrestlers have a finisher, all the other poo poo you dick wads have been mocking me for is thus:
A) When someone learns of the product, its really really easy for the customer to give us money/reserve seats/buy things. It's 2015 for gently caress's sake, you shouldn't be operating a cash-only business anymore.
B) All these things are SUPER easy to set up. it's like 5-10 mins of work tops. Why not do it?
C) These things are SUPER Cheap for us to do. If I look at how much I may stand to make from all online fans that can't make it to shows (because they live far away) through Patreon Vs. How many people putting up 1 flyer at 1 bar brings in it seems like a more profitable endeavor to sacrifice 1 flyer to set up a patreon, also since I have to pay for the flyer print + transportation to get to the bar it's even more a cost effective endeavor.
D) Again, frameworks for growth. Set these things in motion now, so I can capitalize easier as new customers become aware of the product.

So, like, are words hard for you or something? I have to quote myself here because, gently caress.

That, that LONG rear end list there, that is EVERY CHANNEL FOR REVENUE THAT I GET A CUT OF. THAT IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO TURN INTO $8k/mo. Not just "merch sales" Thanks for taking the time to do proper research before you shoot off your stupid opinions. I mean, I'm not even digging up an old rear end post, I wrote that today. like, it's on the same page.

I'm not sure if I want to get into the whole "anti-smark" angle. I just kind of want to promote it as: A Good Show worth seeing. or Just Good Wrestling. Or to get really basic: A fun time, check it out. Every american knows what pro-wrestling is. TONS of them watch similar stuff (action movies/TV shows, UFC, and so forth) Yet, from just a GROSS Revenue angle barely anyone watches Pro Wrestling. So I don't really want to double down on wrestling lingo, and smarky (or anti-smarky) promotion antics because in my mind it cuts off the really casual consumer that might go to something like this, and might come back because hey "it's a fun time, check it out."

This is a good and interesting idea. Most smart phones record in like 1080p anyway so something like a "fan clip of the night" or whatnot could actually work pretty well. I'm not sure about legal, or setting up a channel for fans to submit videos (vine? I don't know) but this is a neat concept and I'll probably steal it.

Crap like this is why people hate wrestling. Wrestling just needs to stop pulling this poo poo. Stop using special words (mark/smark, face/heel, work/shoot) so that you and people "in the know" get to wink and nudge and feel like a member of the kool kids klub. Bending the 4th wall and dragging real life issues into a show so that you can say "no, for real, we're really real, really you guys it's not fake it's real" just makes you look stupid because you're not fooling anyone. Wrestling needs to grow the gently caress up. I mean it's 2015 and WWE is still trotting out Stone Cold and The Rock because in 14 years they haven't made anyone that can penetrate the market beyond wrestling fans. Hell, you guys are STILL watching Nitro, because wrestling as an industry hasn't had a good idea since '96.

I just want to focus on strong characters with concise motivations telling stories that actually payoff in a logical manner. And promote a show using sound business tactics.

Oh man, I can't wait for the first show.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

God the full meltdown is so close, I can taste it

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
put up flyers

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Put up digital flyers (ipads) that have gifs and let people order tickets right there on the street corner

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Design better flyers then put them up

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Wrap a van with the logo, have it drive around and yell "WRESTLES, GET'CHA WRESTLES!" out the window

Call in to AM talk radio, tell people you have an illuminati lizard person wrestling

Put flyers on car windshields

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
3pm on a Sunday seems like a weird time for wrasslin

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

quote:

Then make sure your show is billed as wrestling, but is far from it. Take cues from kaiju big battel and make it weird and crazy, because it is a Portland audience.

Don't put flyers unless it's just a qr code to your site, or maybe mix it up and have the panera bread menu as well.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

You said you're in sales and marketing and 95% of the people in this thread are giving you booking ideas and I'm the one who can't read.

Got it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tattoo advertisements on your body. Stand naked outside of a school.

Become a human flyer.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

post your flyer here

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Advertise Grumpy Cat as a special guest and when people show up and ask where that cat is just bring out a really pissed off alley cat and say "this one's pretty grumpy" and throw it at them.

Team up with the Humane Society it'll be a charity event.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Pay for Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen to feature an event on Portlandia.

Put a sandwich board with event details on a donkey, let it run loose

Go to the top of tallest building in Portland, drop a bunch of flyers

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Great White Hope posted:

To be fair, I think he was including tickets and all other forms of revenue in the 8k/mo. That's still way out there, but not nearly as much as what you think he said.

That said, I would expect the vast, vast, vast majority of your revenue to come from ticket sales (and whatever carny tricks you have up your sleeve like charging $5 or whatever to have a picture taken with THE CHAMP after the show). Anything you do that is without the purpose of selling tickets is probably an iffy idea.

To be even fairer, this guy's an idiot retard fucker bitch boy to the max. He couldn't market dog food to the Humane Society. Folks, the guy's so stupid he probably reads BYOB.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Trollologist posted:

Holy wow I was just making fun of you for being an idiot. I wasn't actually suggesting you do the dumb things.

That said your meltdown posts are amazing so you should absolutely go in-ring as an insane rear end in a top hat who is going to make the business grow up because of his crazy amazing ideas that are way better than putting Austin or Rock on TV.

Patreon for wrestlers who are billed under their real names and paying main eventers the same as curtain jerkers. THE FIRST GOOD IDEAS IN WRASSLIN SINCE NINETEEN NINETY SIX!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think a good wrestling gimmick would be a guy who hates flyers. You could start "feuds" (wrestling term that insiders use) where another wrestler wants him to put up flyers for stuff and he gets really mad about it. Then the two wrestlers could have a big match to decide whether flyers are good or bad.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

this fed doesn't even make 8k a year after expenses

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Trollologist posted:

I think a good idea to make your company money would be to create a character whos gimmick is to say "Not!!" in the Borat voice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

little munchkin posted:

I think a good wrestling gimmick would be a guy who hates flyers. You could start "feuds" (wrestling term that insiders use) where another wrestler wants him to put up flyers for stuff and he gets really mad about it. Then the two wrestlers could have a big match to decide whether flyers are good or bad.

Then cap it all off by burning a Philidelphia Flyers jersey in the ring.

"I HATE ALL FLYERS"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ask Nathan Fielder for help

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Flyers featuring High Flyers, do you have luca libre-dores? I hear Lucha Underground is kaput (another fed you guys are longer lasting than!) maybe you can hire some of their guys, such as Johnny Mundo (Mundo is a type of hispanic soup)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

how come you can book eddie edwards and a wrestling promotion that i give a poo poo about cannot this is bullshit bull loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Trollologist posted:

https://vine.co/v/etQXvIvq53V

• Locked thread