Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Advertise John Cena as being there and when people show up to see him it'll just be a really pissed off alley cat.

There used to be a really big hobo camp along that stretch of river, a bumfights angle wouldn't be that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I hope the OP understands we are just having fun and making jokes, but we all care deeply and want him to succeed, and he should come back post haste.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I hope the OP understands we are just having fun and making jokes, but we all care deeply and want him to succeed, and he should come back post haste.

also invest in that monkey idea. its got legs. and arms. and teeth.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

also invest in that monkey idea. its got legs. and arms. and teeth.

Each of which would make a bang-up prize for your Mystery Bag merch giveaway! Imagine getting a Demon Dave shirt or whatever and a monkey brain.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Trollologist if you come back I promise you I will donate $5 monthly to your Patreon for as long as you are in your position with the fed and update this thread at least weekly.

Edit: you can use the money to fly me in to wrestle JSin if you want

Edit edit: print out some flyers

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 22, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bring Nick Lovin' out of retirement

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

better yet break nick gage out and book him

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
That monkey will be able to draw more money then any D-rate indie wrestler ever could. It pays for itself

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Trollologist posted:

Can you do something for me real quck? Just, super quick here, SHUT YOUR loving IDIOT MOUTH. OK, great. thanks.

Since it's painfully clear that you can't read, or don't want to, or whatever let me go ahead and just chunk out a quick number here: 7
That's how many years DOA has been operating without me in it. And, by this ignorant rear end statement that I have to address because you clearly have some kind of learning deficiency, I'm going to guess that you assume that in the entire 7 years of operation they've never once put up flyers?! They do, They do alot. And this is all they have to show for it in almost a decade: 1500FB likes and average big show attendance of around: 200. SO CLEARLY THE FLYERS DON'T loving WORK THAT WELL DO THEY?!?!?!?! BECAUSE IF THEY DID THERE WOULD BE DEMONSTRABLE GROWTH OVER THAT PERIOD OF TIME INSTEAD OF YEAR AFTER YEAR OF FISCAL LOSS YOU SIMPLETON?!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

:vince:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

:five:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Goldmine

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

loving lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ahahaha

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OP please hire Bram to a multi-year deal

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

you should name your wrestlers after wwe performers to maximise SEO success and bring in more fans

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Name a broadsheet.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

im cumming

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

D E A D

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I hate you, op

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahahahahahaha

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
OP, you'd better capitalise on this.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What the gently caress does bryan alvarez know about lovely northwest indies

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, not dead. Just been catching up on the thread and going to the doctor.

Feel like I should address this?

Ok so, if flyers work. and I'm totally wrong, I can accept that. So prove me wrong by answering these simple questions for me: If flyers work, then why wasn't there any sizable growth over the previous years of rigorous, regular flyering? I mean, since its soo basic and obvious, it should get results right. Why didn't it?

And two, When is the last time YOU went to a live event (I don't care what it is) because of a flyer? And how did you buy tickets to that event?
As for me? I've never been to an event I saw a flyer for. not once. and I was at a concert on Monday.

I go to events by searching local event listings online, and buying my tickets online, and having them delivered to my phone and showing my phone at the time of the event. But, you're not supposed to do that for wrestling huh? Why not?

Also, as wrestling consumers field me this bit of info: When is the last time YOU went to a wrestling event in your area? What was it? how did you find out about it? how did you buy tickets?
And: When is the last time YOU spent any money on wrestling (I don't care what you bought) how did you buy/pay for it?
Finally: How do you find out about new promotions?

I would like actual, real, honest answers please.

I'm ok being completely wrong. But all you guys are doing is slinging old wives tales and ancient rear end advice from people that have never had any success doing this. Prove to me I'm wrong. Provide evidence. I'm not opposed to changing my mind on this, and if its so obvious well then, I guess you should have shitloads of examples of it working and tons of reasons why it didn't work for them.

triplexpac posted:

I once went to an indie show I saw advertised in my school newspaper because Petey Williams was in the ad. So maybe you should book Petey and run ads in school newspapers.
All joking aside, it put a butt in a seat. Did you ever go back?

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 22, 2015

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Effective flyering is key. Getting agreements with other local promoters to hand out flyers at their show is an example of effective flyering.

Getting inroads with local media is just as beneficial as flyering. An offhand mention on the radio

30-80 for regular shows and ~200 for major show is about right for the indie size you're at. All local talent and doing 200 is actually pretty good. working with your booker will help get you an idea if bringing in existing names or trying to market local guys as big deals is your best route. When in doubt, book AJ Styles.

Also, do not gently caress with your local guy's revenue streams!! You will have a very large and very angry man quibble over percentages and eventually stuff you in a locker. Let the dudes keep the money they make on their own merch sales. Its way too much headache for very little money.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I didn't even know there was a local indy in my area until i saw a flyer at a local cuban chicken chop place advertising matt hardy. i went and paid upfront. Another show in the next major town over used paypal. Both drew good-to-great in the area, which was greatly killed by the end of JCP and WCW.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jenkem Delivery posted:

If you want to get nuclear heat set up a tech entrepreneur gimmick who brags about gentrifying Portland and how it should only be for the wealthy. Throw in a bunch of bullshit tech jargon

He could introduce an evil dentist who wants to fluoridate the towns water supply.

But he's an evil dentist so he's always sucking on sugary sweets or something. He could be something like C. Cane, DDS or something

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

Also, do not gently caress with your local guy's revenue streams!! You will have a very large and very angry man quibble over percentages and eventually stuff you in a locker. Let the dudes keep the money they make on their own merch sales. Its way too much headache for very little money.

Weird. Because when I pitched the idea to the guys selling their own merch, super on board. At the size we're at, for these guys it's to much headache for them to manage all that and still work a day job. NOBODY in this company is drawing a paycheck other than "gas money" and the business as a whole has never been cash solvent. I mean, 20% +shipping out of net profit was a great idea to them and it only ads up to about : $3-$4 (depending on where its sold to) Which puts the company closer to the red, and gives his fans an easier route to supporting him. Time will tell I guess.

Also, Aj Styles is $4000. Even if we could afford him, I don't think he would pay for the investment for us, in our market.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think there's a couple of us here that probably have a lot more experience running both businesses and wrestling promotions and they will all tell you to put up loving flyers. Just put them on vending machines, who cares.

For a solid year I'd stumble upon random NWA Mountain State Wrestling flyers and take pictures, do you want me to upload some pictures of loving flyers on some loving soda machines for you or what

Wrestling is Niche, nobody is going to show up to it if they're not already looking for it if there's no local promotion. If you promote locally maybe you might get 30 new people to show up, maybe you gain 10 new fans that night that show up again and your business grows.

Flyerman
Oct 22, 2015
I'm gonna hit you with a trash can filled with flyers and then dump the flyers on you.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wrestlers are bad with money and making decisions about money so yeah they're happy when their merch sales go from $0/mo to $10/mo, but you are asking for a shoot powerbomb if they ever start to bring in real money

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Trollologist posted:

And two, When is the last time YOU went to a live event (I don't care what it is) because of a flyer? And how did you buy tickets to that event?
As for me? I've never been to an event I saw a flyer for. not once. and I was at a concert on Monday.
Almost every week. I go to a lot of shows in the bay area and play a lot of shows. I flyer for all of them. My band outdrew your promotion last weekend.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love this thread and it reminds me why I love you guys.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flyerman posted:

I'm gonna hit you with a trash can filled with flyers and then dump the flyers on you.

:eyepop:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I would say 95% of the wrestling merch I buy (which is almost always t shirts), it's up front, at the show, and it's straight cash.

Mostly so I can throw an extra $5 to a guy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Went to a charity show because I saw a flyer advertising Pinky Sanchez, Detective Dan Barry and Dick Justice

Fliers work and maybe you don't have growth because A) the fliers aren't catching attention enough B) the fliers are in poor location C) the product is poor or D) people heard they hired you

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I would also never buy merch from those dudes knowing that you personally get a cut because you are a garbage bitchbaby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flameingblack posted:

I think there's a couple of us here that probably have a lot more experience running both businesses and wrestling promotions and they will all tell you to put up loving flyers. Just put them on vending machines, who cares.
poo poo costs money and I'd rather my marketing dollar be as effective as possible. there is something to be said about effective flyering, and finding ways to appeal directly to wrestling fans is key as opposed to just dumping them everywhere and hoping. Since we're so far removed from main streets, bus routes, and residential areas at the moment I've been toying around with the idea of going directly to all the fast food joints/strip malls along the interstate here and offering an employee discount to those retail workers. They're in the area, could use cheap entertainment, it feels like even more of a deal (with the discount), and given what I know about most wrestling fans it's right in the sweet earnings/age demo of your average wrestling goer.

To whit: I've been told by the guys running this joint that they feel their fans are stupid/poor and want some of that sweet hipster demo. I mean, I don't even know what to do about that (I know I know, flyer)

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Almost every week. I go to a lot of shows in the bay area and play a lot of shows. I flyer for all of them. My band outdrew your promotion last weekend.
Not surprising.

Flameingblack posted:

For a solid year I'd stumble upon random NWA Mountain State Wrestling flyers and take pictures, do you want me to upload some pictures of loving flyers on some loving soda machines for you or what
Great! how many shows did you go to?

• Locked thread