Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol i guess jj thought we didn't understand the empire is bad so he doubled down on the nazi factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

this guy listed tarantino

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

A movie aimed at white males where the main baddie will likely be a white male and the protagonist leads will be female or minority.

the main baddie will never be seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

he is a heart of cold steel, nothing more!!

actually lol i be tit's luke in disguise just tryna bring the jedi back out of hiding, drat son

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ya but the first jj star trek was like the best movie for 10 years so

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

man that is ol dschool, today has been an OG internet day first basshunter now this

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

in Empire at War (rts game) Darth Vader had a special ability called 'Force Crush' that would lift vehicles into the air and compact them like a junkyard crusher. It was pretty badass. Luke is just a bitch.

Size means nothing to the force.

i could never understand why vader went around force choking instead of force crushing people's head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i can't decide if that is some hosed up poo poo w/o self awareness, or a pop critique of the vietnam war that comes close to being intriguing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Professor of Cats posted:

Real talk: jayjaybrams last StarTrek was hella dumb. Fun. But dumb. MORE LIKE BROTREK! HIGHFIVE!!!!!!!

Get ready for Luke to jump in and go "aw poo poo, you'd think I'd miss this party?" Then he bro-arm-shakes hansolo and shoots lasers and poo poo.

Seriously.

that would be better than a lot of possible alternatives.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I just saw an X-Wing do a strafing run on some stormtroopers.

I cant decide if this was the dumbest or coolest thing Star Wars ever had.
Tie Fighters and X-Wings duking it out in atmoshperic environment is pretty much causing parts of my brain to shut down, which on the other hand might come in handy during the movie...

but the video games had this!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

gopd drat i'm lusting for some female bad guy on black good guy sex

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Lodin posted:

I'm the trooper in the background.

dude got dusted

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

i hope one of the characters turns their blaster sideways gangster style and a bunch of shooting with 100% accuracy then the death star shoots luke in the face but he forces stops it with one hand

dbz/star wars crossover sounds legit

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

Poe Dameron was a human male who served as a pilot in the Resistance approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor. He flew as Black Leader while commanding a squad of T-70 X-wing fighters.

un

loving

believable

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's gonna be good fun and unless your dick is shriveled up into your pelvis you'll let out at least one measly woop at some point

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think Han Solo is going to die in Episode VII. He's featured pretty prominently in this trailer as a source of exposition, so I think he's filling a "wise old mentor" role in this film. Stories with mentor characters need to establish the reason why such a wise and powerful figure can't save the day for the main protagonists at the climax, and being dead is one good reason to not be around to help. It's what happened to Obi-Wan in the first movie! Furthermore, Harrison Ford has hated Star Wars for a long time and wanted his character to be killed off in Return of the Jedi. He probably leaped at the chance to kill off Han Solo once and for all in Episode VII.

almost certainly correct

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

I'm starting to feel this way as well but the hardened cynic in me is ashamed by it. I don't know man, Star Wars just really stuck with me when I was young and now it appeals to me even though I recognise how much it is playing to my nostalgia.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO SHUT THIS DOWN AND JUST ENJOY IT

jfc you realize all these ppl in here are just constantly fronting for invisible strangers? what about that is admirable? at least cool kids at school can see the ppl they are trying to impress

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

dali's lost masterpiece

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol, that freakish looking guy from girls is the bad guy?

also, a pirate castle full of weird looking creatures, looks familiar

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Toadvine posted:

Im just thankful we have original costumes and makeup to look forward to.

count your blessings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

lol

george lucas really is an idiot god bless him

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

maybe now that disney owns star wars they'll offer rereleases of the original theatrical cuts of episodes 4-6, knowing that 30-somethings will pay lots of money to buy ANOTHER official copy of star wars + express their rejection of the 1997 re-releases through their wallets!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"buy NOW for 129.99 if you think HAN SHOT FIRST"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Toadvine posted:

Im just thankful we have original costumes and makeup to look forward to.

count your blessings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

boba fett's patient indulgence really sets this scene off

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

how many times has boba fett had to put up w the dumb showtunes of his various patrons' house bands just to secure the job?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"oh ya jabba no i LOVE this number" (has heard it every time the last 15 times he's been there)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

just fuckin look at him he's in all black and there's 2 snow troopers behind him of course he's the bad guy

they takin him out into the middle of snow desert to execute him, haven't you seen Glaidator?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

pretty sure they already did this

god i missed the money boat

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only true version is the laserdisc version

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tatse and star wars don't mix my man

i will see it at like one in the afternoon a week after it opens

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

on a weekday

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

literally the most generic hero's journey possible, bc lucas read the pop theory version of it and decided to write a story that matched it in every particular

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

sorry i can't read your post through all the lens flares but i'm sure it's insightful

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the prequels are not offensively bad on their own merit. they are very bad, few will deny that; but what makes them truly monstrous is that they revealed to us that star wars was, at its best, merely good, and was more usually mediocre to bad.

what we learned was that when someone has become too powerful for editorial control, it usually ends in disaster.

i watched terminator 2 DC recently and every "added" scene detracted from the film.

george lucas got to make 3 films worth of director's cut, and we learned over and over, for eight-something hours, that everything good about star wars was owed either to (a) the energy of its vision or (b) people telling GL no. (also (c) the physical limitation of SFX at the time.)

we have had a long time to recover from that shock. we are no longer innocent.

jj will benefit greatly from this. few will go in thinking "star wars is inviolate, do not destroy my dreams." instead they will think "there is an earthly star wars, contained in the movies, and a heavenly star wars, contained in my heart, and i can enjoy the imperfections of the former without damaging the latter."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

just try to enjoy the fact that george lucas spent decades developing SFX so he could make his diarrhetic vision a reality.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yes, but pixar is going strong making the best looking CGI in the world.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i will never not give GL credit for helping make movies interesting again by increasing their spectacle value a trillionfold.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

my understanding is that that's basically true, and my conclusion is that's why he divorced her

sources: me

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weirdly enough, the Japanese Star Wars adaptation was completely poo poo

Edit: THIS IS CANON

the stormtroopers sit in a ring to spectate the honor combat

god bless glorious nippon

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the key to keeping sfx from getting dated is to never watch a movie more than once. lol if you don't know this already.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you think the voiceover from the first trailer ("the force is strong in our family...") is a transmission via R2? not a bad guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's gonna be lol when they kill han but leave chewie alive, the ultimate gently caress you to the EU.

• Locked thread