Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tales of Zestiria is the newest entry in the Tales of series. It was released today in NA and last week in EU, on PS3, PS4, and Steam.

For those who have never played a Tales of game, they're action RPGs that tend to have strong combat systems but plots of debatable quality, albeit held up usually well-done character interactions. In service of the last point the series is known for it's skits, short optional conversions between party members that can pop up in towns and dungeons. They are often funny.

What's new:

Zestiria features combat similar to Tales of Graces F, but with the addition of seamless transitions between the overworld and battles. Further, your party is divided into human and seraph characters. The protagonist Sorey, as well as another character Rose, can use the new Armitization feature to merge with a Seraph, producing a powerful hybrid between the two.

Also the music is being done by Go Shiina instead of Sakuraba (Shiina was also responsible for the Legendia OST) and is real good.

The controversial:

Zestiria was released to a lot of controversy in Japan, for two main reasons:

The first is simple; the seamless transitions came with a Real Bad Camera

The second is more story based: One character who was advertised as being a main character ends up playing a pretty small role in the story, and from a gameplay perspective is booted out of the party permanently at a certain point, depriving you a potential character to play at. Many believe that this occurs because of a scrapped route-split, and that the way it plays out ultimately hurts the story as a whole.

Which version:

More as it develops, but apparently the PS3 and PS4 are basically identical while the PC version isn't terrible but has some potential tearing and frame rate issues.

---

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Game's throwing AP at me like candy.

Also Mikeleo really doesn't like his brother flirting with human girls.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm a huge babby, can i change my dudes' names like i did in vesperia

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I was the guy that was going to Let's play it on PC. Runs great on all maxed settings. But drops to 18 to 20 fps when recording with Action on even rock bottom settings. Anyone know any recording software with less of an impact on performance? It doesn't sound like much but the performance hit is noticeable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i'm a huge babby, can i change my dudes' names like i did in vesperia

no but you can give them sunglasses and silly hats in every scene

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well I can't argue with that, I did already put two extra swords on Sorey like some kind of bitchboy who watches too much One Piece

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

bitchboy who watches too much One Piece

Wow rude.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Currently downloading this game, I've played Symphonia, Vesperia, and like 2/3rds of the way through Phantasia until I got stuck so this should be fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played tales of hearts r recently and hated a few things about it. how does zestria improve the following:

the character screen had like 7 different menus that you need to customize for each party member and everything is poorly explained. it takes a really long time to get everything set for each character at the start of each play session.

the battle system felt clunky in moving/targeting enemies like it was beholden to older entries in the series rather than giving you totally free movment. also it didn't seem to require any skill or strategy in most of the fights until i hit a wall at the end fighting some giant worm thing before the final boss where just spamming attack didn't work anymore and had to actually figure out how to play the game correctly to avoid getting poisoned/petrified to death instantly - I think this is a balance issue as much as an i'm stupid issue

the story is padded with hours of small talk and innuendo jokes that just keep coming

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i played tales of hearts r recently and hated a few things about it. how does zestria improve the following:

the character screen had like 7 different menus that you need to customize for each party member and everything is poorly explained. it takes a really long time to get everything set for each character.

the battle system felt clunky in moving/targeting enemies like it was beholded to older entries in the series rather than giving you totally free movment. also it didn't seem to require any skill or strategy in most of the fights until i hit a wall at the end fighting some giant worm thing before the final boss where just spamming attack didn't work anymore and had to actually figure out how to play the game correctly to avoid getting poisoned/petrified to death instantly - I think this is a balance issue as much as an i'm stupid issue

the story is padded with hours of small talk and innuendo jokes that just keep coming

not sure about the first, but combat wise hearts R was a low priority rerelease (i think it was outsourced?) and the localization was notoriously pretty liberal, so the latter two probably do not apply

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Attack posted:

no but you can give them sunglasses and silly hats in every scene

is the costume accessory system at least as good as the one in xillia? this is very important

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well what was the one in Xillia? This one lets you put on a costume, a hairstyle, and up to three accessories. It doesn't keep track of accessory's "type," so you can just put on a ton of swords like I did.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I haven't gone far, just got to our Beloved Peasant Village that is sure to explode somehow, but I've have perfect gameplay so far.

Mostly. I'm playing keyboard and mouse and they refuse to let you manipulate the camera with the keyboard. Or, at least, it's not in the 'controls' setting. Other than that (and how sparse Sorey's skillset is at the start) it's fine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Well what was the one in Xillia? This one lets you put on a costume, a hairstyle, and up to three accessories. It doesn't keep track of accessory's "type," so you can just put on a ton of swords like I did.

Basically that. But you could also resize, recolor and reposition them. Xillia was limited to 1 head type and 2 other.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Playing on PC, have everything max and am getting a solid 30 at all times. Mid range PC too.

The voice acting and the way the cutscenes are shot are both really bad and stilted. The previous games weren't super great about this either but here it's worse. It doesn't even sound like the actors are trying, it's so generic and lifeless. And I already don't like how the battle camera is behind the player and not a side view like in other games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, you can resize, change color, and reposition, too.

I seem to be getting good framerates on true fullscreen, but they tank on borderless. GTX770, which is what, slightly outdated by now. I should probably update my drivers :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 20, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish the Tales nostalgia costumes were better thought out.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I wish the Tales nostalgia costumes were better thought out.

Don't want ANOTHER Leon and Yuri costume, though?

Seriously though, I agree.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Only had one freeze so far, coming out of the noble section of ladylake. Had to full restart, but luckily quicksave is super fast/nice so not much progress lost.

Other than that going to repeat my advice from the other thread here: play with stereo instead of surround sound and turn fullscreen off. Fullscreen on has massive tearing even with v-sync on and surround leads to dead audio and crashes. Can't say what is causing fps problems since I've had none--seems really stable outside of that one freeze.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
I haven't played a tales game since destiny, I've taken a look at some of the battle gameplay footage and the 3d combat (also the fact im 15 years older :smith: ) makes it look a little complex. can someone give me a brief run down on the battle system if they have time?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The protagonist dude kinda looks like a chump, but I guess not everyone can be Yuri Lowell. Or really any of Vesperia's cast.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

drink slurm posted:

I haven't played a tales game since destiny, I've taken a look at some of the battle gameplay footage and the 3d combat (also the fact im 15 years older :smith: ) makes it look a little complex. can someone give me a brief run down on the battle system if they have time?

Real quick:
  • There are no normal attacks.
  • You can chain up to four actions together, total, in any order, before the skip.
  • An action is a Base Arte, Arcane Arte (or is it Hidden now?), or a step. Base Artes are on the circle button. Arcane Artes are on the X, where the "just plain all artes" used to be.
  • Any action used on a Base Arte pulls from the Base Arte list of that step (e.g. you can only do Tiger Blade as your second action since it's a second tier Base Arte). Using base artes is basically like walking along a grid (the game presents it as such).
  • An Arcane Arte can be any action.
  • Actions spend SC. SC has a max of 100 and recovers rapidly when you are not attacking. It's an extra combo restriction. Why they need two of these, I don't know.
  • If you are a Seraph or an Armitization, you have spells instead of Arcane Artes. If you are an Armitization, you have Arcane Artes instead of Base Artes.
  • An Arcane Arte cannot be interrupted by a Base Arte.
  • A Spell cannot be interrupted by an Arcane Arte. Instead, the Arcane Arte will cause the spell to skip some of its cast time.
  • You can end a chain prematurely with a Blast. Blasts do different things depending on whether your chain has gotten up to 1, 2, or 3 before you use it. They spend BG. The 3-blast is an exception, it restarts your chain. You don't really have to worry about these if you don't want to.

There's more that has to do with Armitization-specific mechanics, healing, and a really crazy equipment and crafting system.

The really, really short version is that you attack with artes, there are different combinations based on what directions you're pressing when you attack, and you can mix in Arcane Artes whenever you want.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it won't launch

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Downloading now. Pretty sad they just muted the vocals for the opening. I mean, Ring a Bell got an English version, why not this much better song?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So uh, on PC how do you get the pre-order DLC in game? My thing says I have both extra costume DLCs but so far no one has any alternate costumes.

Also where is a location guide for the attachments.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

chumbler posted:

The protagonist dude kinda looks like a chump, but I guess not everyone can be Yuri Lowell. Or really any of Vesperia's cast.

Let me tell you why Yuri Lowell actually sucks. You see *vomits feces* Which is why Asbel is a much better protagonist, because he has a complete character arc.

I'm endlessly amused at how Sorey's little brother doesn't like his girlfriend, though. Mike is a cool guy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Once you actually get your hands on Zestiria it's probably easier to pick up than Graces, control-wise. The only weird/different part is that base artes use the total count instead of their own, and you could argue that that makes more sense. They both start you out with just Base Artes and then tell you you can mix in Arcane ones afterward.

Level Slide posted:

Let me tell you why Yuri Lowell actually sucks.

Same.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is the game crashing on launch of anyone else.

am i all alone

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Don't forget to grab this before November, fellow cool Steam people: https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcorner/get/slug/tales-of-zestiria-alisha-s-story-additional-chapter-pc-digital

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

So if im getting this, its basically a four attack (arte) chain, sometimes subbing in arcane or spells for a basic arte when its beneficial(?) then moving to a cooldown period where you dodge/block until the attack phase repeats a few seconds later? how much control over ai party members would one be expected to have, can you basically never touch them on "normal" difficulty and they'll do a deec job, do I need to take limited control of them to do that thing where they will transform the mc?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Caphi posted:

Real quick:
  • There are no normal attacks.
  • You can chain up to four actions together, total, in any order, before the skip.
  • An action is a Base Arte, Arcane Arte (or is it Hidden now?), or a step. Base Artes are on the circle button. Arcane Artes are on the X, where the "just plain all artes" used to be.
  • Any action used on a Base Arte pulls from the Base Arte list of that step (e.g. you can only do Tiger Blade as your second action since it's a second tier Base Arte). Using base artes is basically like walking along a grid (the game presents it as such).
  • An Arcane Arte can be any action.
  • Actions spend SC. SC has a max of 100 and recovers rapidly when you are not attacking. It's an extra combo restriction. Why they need two of these, I don't know.
  • If you are a Seraph or an Armitization, you have spells instead of Arcane Artes. If you are an Armitization, you have Arcane Artes instead of Base Artes.
  • An Arcane Arte cannot be interrupted by a Base Arte.
  • A Spell cannot be interrupted by an Arcane Arte. Instead, the Arcane Arte will cause the spell to skip some of its cast time.
  • You can end a chain prematurely with a Blast. Blasts do different things depending on whether your chain has gotten up to 1, 2, or 3 before you use it. They spend BG. The 3-blast is an exception, it restarts your chain. You don't really have to worry about these if you don't want to.

There's more that has to do with Armitization-specific mechanics, healing, and a really crazy equipment and crafting system.

The really, really short version is that you attack with artes, there are different combinations based on what directions you're pressing when you attack, and you can mix in Arcane Artes whenever you want.

So is it sorta like Graces with the branching arte choices?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Eddain posted:

So is it sorta like Graces with the branching arte choices?

It is, in fact, like Graces. The main difference (apart from the chain system being different) is that with Graces, you could do 1-B-2, whereas in Zestiria, it would be 1-B-3. Also, steps count as moves. (This means you can do a step and then a 2-arte, or three steps and then a spell and the steps will count for quick-casting.)

drink slurm posted:

So if im getting this, its basically a four attack (arte) chain, sometimes subbing in arcane or spells for a basic arte when its beneficial(?) then moving to a cooldown period where you dodge/block until the attack phase repeats a few seconds later? how much control over ai party members would one be expected to have, can you basically never touch them on "normal" difficulty and they'll do a deec job, do I need to take limited control of them to do that thing where they will transform the mc?

You can Armitize from either side. It's more beneficial to play the human actually because you can swap your Seraph with any other Seraph (unless the one you want is already Armitized).

I didn't have a lot of trouble with the game on Second difficulty so Normal should be fine.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

What's the deal with this? Is it a separate thing you play from the main game? Something that pops up during the main game itself?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

PurplieNurplie posted:

What's the deal with this? Is it a separate thing you play from the main game? Something that pops up during the main game itself?

It shows up in the main menu, but it actually takes place after the main game. Don't play it until you have a clear data unless you really want to know the ending. (If you have clear data it'll pick up gear and stuff from there, too, I think.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rest easy everyone - I got it to launch

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what changed, for posterity's sake?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
p.s. w/r/t to the OP's "controversy" section, the major non-plot complaint I saw at the time was less the camera and more a wholesale condemnation of Armitization as a gameplay mechanic for a laundry list of supposed negatives, including taking over the game, making the characters samey, making Seraphs individually irrelevant, degrading the party-action feel (by encouraging you to reduce your moving bodies to 2 or 3), and possibly even leading directly to the, uh, plot complaint.

I thought it wasn't that bad, myself, but it's the one that showed up in more reviews and posts, I think.

There was definitely complaining about the camera, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

does that apply to all of my post?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Level Slide posted:

does that apply to all of my post?

All of it unironically except for the word "Asbel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't find the Armatisation system bothered me personally but I imagine it makes things annoying if you want to play as anyone other than the two human characters.

• Locked thread