Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If I liked xillia what's the percentage chance of liking this

Be exact as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure it makes the skills better upon fusion. I would get blue skills (ones that are locked) when I used stuff that was max level.

Pretty sure Blue Skills happen whenever you have a skill on both items on the same slots that are different, and it has nothing to do with the rank of the item. Might be wrong though.

EDIT: And yeah, I am a bit weirded out at the lack of Arte so far for Sorey. I'm unsure if it's because I play on Hard nad level less or something else, but it's really frustrating to not have many at all.

Calphi or others who played the JP version, is there any way to hurry around getting artes, because I only got, I think, 4 more (2 martial and 2 Hidden/Arcane) since the start of the game after 10 or so hours.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 21, 2015

Velgre
Jul 15, 2015

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Arkeus posted:

Pretty sure Blue Skills happen whenever you have a skill on both items on the same slots that are different, and it has nothing to do with the rank of the item. Might be wrong though.

This is how fusing seems to work, yeah. Different skills on same slot = completely different skill from either in same slot, same skill on same slot = no change.

All that having more stars seems to do (so far anyhow) is reduce the gald cost for fusion.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Arkeus posted:

Calphi or others who played the JP version, is there any way to hurry around getting artes, because I only got, I think, 4 more (2 martial and 2 Hidden/Arcane) since the start of the game after 10 or so hours.

I don't know the curves for either artes or titles! Switch to low-level ones in case they take less character levels to level up? All I remember doing is switching occasionally based on what arte was coming up (when there was a choice of two) but I might have gone down to low-level ones at some point.

Keep in mind that each character only has around 20 new artes to learn, all-inclusive, and a handful of those are automatic.

p.s. Locked skills are a fusion of two unlocked skills. The game tells you that a locked skill counts as a blank slot for the purposes of synthesis. That's actually an important rule for manipulating which abilities you get to keep when you're fusing multiple slots across. I'm pretty sure they also said that the product skill is the midpoint between the two original skills on the table, but I'm not convinced you can sanely get enough choices to really manipulate that.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 21, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So is there the usual rpg sidequest list available somewhere? I just sold gramp's pipe and apparently that was the wrong thing to do.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tae posted:

So is there the usual rpg sidequest list available somewhere? I just sold gramp's pipe and apparently that was the wrong thing to do.

I did that too. :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You cab buy the pipe back later for an insignificant amount of money

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
This is the first Tales game I've played since Vesperia.

GOTY

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sakurazuka posted:

You cab buy the pipe back later for an insignificant amount of money

And you get the Ten-Gallon, too. The beginning of this game is good but it does encourage you to ditch precious items a weird amount.

KoB
May 1, 2009

perfect.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Arkeus posted:

I have 5 hidden and 9 martial at around 10 hours (finished all the village/ruins stuff, just need to talk to Lucas) and have been playing on hard. Think you start the game with 0 hidden and 5 martial? So I've gained 5 hidden and 4 martial. Switch titles around more. Lower level titles do seem to take less character levels to progress. I think most everybody has one level 5 title, one level 4 and one level 3? The absolute best strategy might be switching titles every level-up to ensure you aren't falling behind in any one of the 3 hidden stats for arte unlocks.

Part of the WTF is the titles tell you which arte you'd get next from leveling them but not how far off it is (some might be more title levels off than you can get, which would require the title to increase from bronze to silver to gold), like Xillia 2 did. So best you can do is check Aselia and switch to the title with a next arte with the cheapest amount of points required. Or if you won't be controlling the character and don't really care about the martials you can just target the seraphics no matter how far off they are (what I am doing with Mikleo).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You will care about what artes the Seraphs are learning because they're responsible for learning all Armitization artes.

Really not sure why they changed it from base/arcane, which are still pretty good translations in Zestiria's ruleset, or why they used "martial," which is a different term in Xillia.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 21, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Where do you get the ten gallon hat?

Or, gently caress, any attachments? I cant seem to find a list anywhere and I think I already missed some.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
99% of the accessories ive found have just been lying around in random chests

so uh just explore more

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its weird to me that they already made a really good title system in Graces with all the features you could want for it and then removed most of those for this game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I found some sick sunglasses in a chest not far outside of Ladylake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zore posted:

Where do you get the ten gallon hat?

When you get to the part where you have to bribe a guard to get in to a sanctuary, instead of showing him the knife (if you still have it) go and talk to Rose hanging out downstairs and give her the old man's pipe in exchange for getting you in. Later she'll give you the hat because the pipe was worth a ton of money.

You can buy the pipe back later anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Dunno if I can blame them for trying something different. Pretty much every single Tales game has a different growth/build/customization system, even the remakes (except the straight-up ports/expansions). Zestiria's are just all weirdly opaque.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

KoB posted:

Its weird to me that they already made a really good title system in Graces with all the features you could want for it and then removed most of those for this game.

tbf they removed it for most tales games

:(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sakurazuka posted:

When you get to the part where you have to bribe a guard to get in to a sanctuary, instead of showing him the knife (if you still have it) go and talk to Rose hanging out downstairs and give her the old man's pipe in exchange for getting you in. Later she'll give you the hat because the pipe was worth a ton of money.

You can buy the pipe back later anyway.

Oh. I sold her the knife and just used the cash from that to pay her which got me gently caress all :(

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm surprised so many people here are selling the knife. Gramps gave you the pipe to sell, after all, not to mention the knife isn't yours. :colbert:
What happens when you sell it anyway? Don't you need it not long after?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Red Minjo posted:

I'm surprised so many people here are selling the knife. Gramps gave you the pipe to sell, after all, not to mention the knife isn't yours. :colbert:
What happens when you sell it anyway? Don't you need it not long after?

You have to do a lovely 5 second sidequest for Rose where she's like "This is super expensive, you shouldn't have sold it to me"

You get a choice of 3 and I accidentally picked the worst one, having to walk the slowest speed from the front of the shrine to the weapon vendor because I was 'carrying a heavy load of weapons'.

And forgive me for having emotional attachment to Gramps :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zore posted:

Oh. I sold her the knife and just used the cash from that to pay her which got me gently caress all :(

yeah same i thought thats what you were "meant" to do since she tries to buy it before you even enter ladylake and all

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I'm creating equipment with sealed traits. I'm assuming this is bad because I can't do anything with that slot once it's sealed.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I played about the first hour of the PC version of this this morning. It ran perfectly maxed out with no noticeable issues, but I just got an i7-6700k and a Nvidia 970, so I'm toward the top end of the PC power curve at the moment.

I've been playing with the xbox controller, and it's going fine, but I can't figure out how to change targets in combat? I'm sure there is something super easy that I am missing, but I'm definitely going to want to be able to do that eventually.

Also, I feel like Sorey might be super dumb by even Tales game main character standards. Thus far he can't seem to ever figure out anything that is obviously going on around him. I'm specifically talking about the vampire scene at his village, which he then goes home and has a big dumb moment of realization about.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

So I'm creating equipment with sealed traits. I'm assuming this is bad because I can't do anything with that slot once it's sealed.

No it's not bad. Sealed skills gets unsealed once you get one star in the equipment: Basically it's a result of mixing two skills through fusion. Furthermore, if you fusion and equipment with a skill that's still sealed (so no star), it counts the skilled skill as empty, so it can be really useful when juggling fusions in order to keep certain skills.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Substandard posted:

Also, I feel like Sorey might be super dumb by even Tales game main character standards. Thus far he can't seem to ever figure out anything that is obviously going on around him. I'm specifically talking about the vampire scene at his village, which he then goes home and has a big dumb moment of realization about.

i like that that apparently took him an entire day to realise that the faux-kitsune man meant alisha

and even with that hes still infinitely smarter than asbel

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Honestly, skill synthesis rules are starting to sound like something for the OP. I mean you can probably say that about the titles thing too but equipment skills are the bigger part of customization and it's been asked and answered twice in one page.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Substandard posted:

I've been playing with the xbox controller, and it's going fine, but I can't figure out how to change targets in combat? I'm sure there is something super easy that I am missing, but I'm definitely going to want to be able to do that eventually.

You will get constant tutorials for the next couple of hours on mechanics.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Zestiria is full of kind of awkward Team Destiny retries, really. The lord of the land stuff kind of feels like Rebirth's grade system, where each area had a max amount of grade you could earn, and the equipment drops feel like Destiny 2. Not really sure what they were thinking with titles since your new party members don't even smart-switch to new ones once they max like the graces characters did. So Edna joins with wasted title exp. And yeah, on the whole, I don't think Zestiria's systems are terrible so much as they are worse than previous stuff and they should've known better. At the very least they definitely should know better now.

edit: and now I am vaguely recalling interviews that suggest they wanted to make things vague on purpose for a "sense of discovery" or some other misguided thing so, uh, hopefully they did actually learn not to do that and by that I mean go all-in on vague design concepts

Caphi posted:

You will care about what artes the Seraphs are learning because they're responsible for learning all Armitization artes.

I have to say that so far I'm not a fan of armitization as a thing due to the general balance. Mikleo's seems really horrible unless I know I'm going to be using it and can give him a better physical attack setup--his hiddens are horrible damage/SC otherwise--and Lailah's is stupid-good in a boring kind of way. Edna's is a decent balance and I actually like controlling her, thus she's been getting all of my herbs since she joined.

I'm already a guy who rates Xillia(s) gameplay higher than Graces F in a lot of ways so I'd say Zestiria is probably my 4th or 5th favourite tales of combat so far? It has the Graces F problem of around step being one of a dumb or boring idea against 90% of the enemies in the game only amplified since it's more lacking in interesting humanoids with call-outs and thus attack variety to fight. Trash mobs and even the bosses so far have been "learn to dodge one attack and you've dodged them all" and/or "why bother, it's team_destiny.txt spam so just AoE". I think the graces f trash mobs were at least slightly more interesting with around step?

edit: also, the force feedback is a step down from Xillia 2! Edna Arma is fun but no hammer Ludger and I feel like the force feedback is a big part of that

Decus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 21, 2015

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Substandard posted:

I think he's maybe slightly dumber than Lloyd, but I don't think he even approaches Asbel on the Idiot Power Rankings.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I will say that I consider Water second only to Fire, and Fire is great. A large part of it is that it can lock down enemies at mid-range, which capability expands immensely when you get the third side-arte and the last spell (Maelstrom), which both strike a wide radius repeatedly. Other than that it can do a ton of stunning hits at non-melee range. (The basic combo, in Japanese, is named Blue Four -> Sea Blue Eight -> Sky Blue Twelve, and it actually does that many hits.)

Fire is amazing as soon as you get Blaze Swarm, though, and its Banish Blast is practically worth the price of admission on its own.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don't like being locked into a 4 combo unless I use a stock of BG. The SC bar is fine by itself, I don't like having the BG to go with it especially if I need that BG for armamentalizing or whatever its called.

And it's hard to see whats going on in combat when the camera is so zoomed in and spells are going off. They should have kept the combat in a separate area like the old games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KoB posted:

perfect.

:freakfuta:

KoB
May 1, 2009

KingEffingFrost posted:

I think he's maybe slightly dumber than Lloyd, but I don't think he even approaches Asbel on the Idiot Power Rankings.

Im only like 2-3 hours in and Sorey seems like an idiot but he always seems like hes havin a good time at least.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

KoB posted:

Im only like 2-3 hours in and Sorey seems like an idiot but he always seems like hes havin a good time at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

KoB posted:

Sorey is a loving goon who doesn't know poo poo but he's having a blast. Good for him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait 'till you get to Lastonbell. :allears:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Skeezy posted:

Sorey is a loving goon who doesn't know poo poo but he's having a blast. Good for him.

Yes, and everyone seems to acknowledge that he's a loving retard but drat if his positive attitude isn't infectious. Well Mikeleo does anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mikleo being Sorey's snarky responsible-brother straight man only makes it more adorable when they both nerd out about stonework.

• Locked thread