Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
More like Trickley Dickey

How have they not pulled him yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
actually being able to hear them talk at home was cool. also that should lead to some cool f bombs

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

because Liam Hendriks

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

fknlo posted:

Jays fans are freaking out. It's the second inning. You guys put up ELEVEN runs last night.

That's exactly why it was a weird response - in what world does "I hope the jays can at least make this entertaining" equate to giving up/freaking out?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

The Glumslinger posted:

...because the Jays bullpen is basically poo poo outside of the setup/closer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Jays just setting up revenge for 85.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hand Knit posted:

Jays just setting up revenge for 85.

This has been in the back of my head all series.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lol dickey is blushing in embarrassment at those boos

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

it heet me

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That's exactly why it was a weird response - in what world does "I hope the jays can at least make this entertaining" equate to giving up/freaking out?

Sorry, just took your response wrong.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is not fun

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MassaShowtime posted:

This is not fun

This was me last night

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Having Cueto in our rotation is kinda like counting on a knuckleball pitcher in the playoffs.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

The knuckler is still just floating, KC is actually helping Dickey out with some of the swings they're taking.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:(

Well that was depressing to watch.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

One way or another that is probably Dickey's last start this year, and I guess possibly his career.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Ok, maybe this is one of those games where Dickey comes out, Hendricks comes in and shut--hahaha I can't finish this

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Dickey'll be back next year for sure.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

lmao

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Hendricks did a thing! :siren:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

liam hendricks, beyond perfect efficiency

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nice pick off

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Dammit

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man that wasn't even close.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"I don't even need to throw a pitch to end the inning." :smugdog:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

momentum shifting pickoff - right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Now get some runs off this freak

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol price is penciled in under LHB

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

I know almost nothing about pitching, but I thought open air was better for the knuckleball? Or maybe that was heat? Idk.

There are some good sports science things about the knuckler out there but the TLDR is that knuckleballs do better in warm air, because it's less dense than cold air. Denser air = more molecules for a spinning baseball to "push off" of = more spin, and thus more movement. Most pitchers want the ball to spin, of course; one reason why it's so hard to pitch at Coors Field is that breaking pitches don't break in the thin air. Knuckleballers, however, don't want spin. A good knuckler kind of flutters or tumbles.

I guess what I'm saying is, Dickey needs to go sign with the Rockies?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MassaShowtime posted:

Lol price is penciled in under LHB

I'm thinking if the Jays manage to get a lead you manage this like the last game of the season

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

fknlo posted:

Jays fans are freaking out. It's the second inning. You guys put up ELEVEN runs last night.

A large amount of runs scored yesterday does not indicate anything about the amount of runs that will be scored today. And oh look the Jays need to pitch 7 innings with the bullpen and there's a game tomorrow, and the Jays pitchers are not exactly making the Royals hitters quiver in their cleats.

Nothing about what the Blue Jays have done this series makes me think that they can come back from being down 3 games to 1. Oh well, at least the Jays didn't get swept in four games. I guess that's something.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Dickey trade is like the Scott Kazmir trade for the Mets only in reverse.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I'm thinking if the Jays manage to get a lead you manage this like the last game of the season

B not P

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A large amount of runs scored yesterday does not indicate anything about the amount of runs that will be scored today. And oh look the Jays need to pitch 7 innings with the bullpen and there's a game tomorrow, and the Jays pitchers are not exactly making the Royals hitters quiver in their cleats.

Nothing about what the Blue Jays have done this series makes me think that they can come back from being down 3 games to 1. Oh well, at least the Jays didn't get swept in four games. I guess that's something.

Yeah, this. I'm not giving up but I'm not positive, even before this start. Bullpens really matter in the postseason, and especially with Price being so wonky it's just magnified more how thin the Jays are there right now. The Royals can simply weather mediocre starts far easier with their depth.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

what the gently caress was that did i have a stroke

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

welp I'm going to honor Dickeys start and take a 20 minute poo poo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Pussy Boss posted:

There are some good sports science things about the knuckler out there but the TLDR is that knuckleballs do better in warm air, because it's less dense than cold air. Denser air = more molecules for a spinning baseball to "push off" of = more spin, and thus more movement. Most pitchers want the ball to spin, of course; one reason why it's so hard to pitch at Coors Field is that breaking pitches don't break in the thin air. Knuckleballers, however, don't want spin. A good knuckler kind of flutters or tumbles.

I guess what I'm saying is, Dickey needs to go sign with the Rockies?

I thought knucklers tumble due to air turbulence, though?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
GODDAMN DICKS AND BJs

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

"If you're the Jays, this is where you make a move" with one out in the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Chamale posted:

I thought knucklers tumble due to air turbulence, though?

the turbulence is created by the seams of the ball

• Locked thread