Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I have a laptop, which I can take with me anywhere. I have a gaming desktop that is more powerful than any laptop or commercially available desktop on the market. I have a pay-as-you-go flip phone that usually costs me about $5.00/mo and I actually get better reception then most of my co-workers with expensive smart phones. What's the point of a smart phone other than the fact that you can check your stupid facebook while working or driving down the interstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I use mine to connect an actual computer to 4g but besides that :agreed: op

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Im thinking of getting a prepaid burner smartphone just because 35 a month for what I use essentially to check emails, send the occasional text, and take some calls isn't that great.

I think the prepaid do GPS too so it may be the way to go.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
give me a dumbphone you can tether with and I would switch in a hot second

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Al Borland posted:

Im thinking of getting a prepaid burner smartphone just because 35 a month for what I use essentially to check emails, send the occasional text, and take some calls isn't that great.

I think the prepaid do GPS too so it may be the way to go.

all i want is the ability to make calls, send texts, GPS, and music storage

i mean all the bells and whistles would be nice but i can't exactly afford all that right now in obama's america

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i use my smartphone as my GPS thing with google maps thats it tho

also i can connect it with my cars bluetooth and play my music so thats cool too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i don't, i still use this

im p close to email access (work or home) that i don't need to be plugged in all the time and constantly checking emails or w/e and if work needs to get a hold of me for something important they just call. battery also lasts like 2+ weeks without charging so that's nice too compared to everyone whose phones are constantly dying.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I still have a flip phone. It's really inexpensive, works perfectly fine, and it keeps me from having to take on more responsibilities at my stupid retarded job.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Happy Bear Suit posted:

i use my smartphone as my GPS thing with google maps thats it tho

also i can connect it with my cars bluetooth and play my music so thats cool too

You can get a cheap pre-paid phone with GPS for about $40 at Target or Walmart. I was a truck driver for several months and I can tell you that nothing is better than a map and a truck stop guide. You can get a truck stop guide at any truck stop and they are absolutely invaluable. Even for non-trucker. It's best to plan where you need to go on a map before you ever get there rather than relying on GPS.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
GPS is crap, touchscreens are crap, crying when you break your phone is crap and most people dress like poors because they spent all their money on a phone.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
You ever drive down a poor neighborhood and look at some of the cars they drive? Somebody living in a trash dump shouldn't be driving a new gmc pickup with rims.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i only have a dumb phone which i haven't even recharged in years because telemarketers kept calling at inopportune times and the ringtones go straight for my nerves

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SweetKarma posted:

You ever drive down a poor neighborhood and look at some of the cars they drive? Somebody living in a trash dump shouldn't be driving a new gmc pickup with rims.
there's more than one logical fallacy in this line of thinking

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a phone that does sms and calls and nothing else. I look at maps before I need to go somewhere and I like to be away from emails when I'm not at home. I also don't like the feeling of worrying over the safety of an object, I like to be able to stuff a phone into a pocket with keys.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

quakster posted:

there's more than one logical fallacy in this line of thinking

Not sure what you mean. Pleas explain.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Smart Phones are for punkass yuppies.

Posted from Apple iPhone 8.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

I have a phone that does sms and calls and nothing else. I look at maps before I need to go somewhere and I like to be away from emails when I'm not at home. I also don't like the feeling of worrying over the safety of an object, I like to be able to stuff a phone into a pocket with keys.

That's actually a good point. I work in construction and most of my coworkers have to buy protective covers for their phones. Even then they sometimes wreck their phones. You can't save a glass screen from a 6 foot plus drop onto concrete no matter what protective cover you buy.

If I drop my phone I throw it away and buy a new one. Nothing lost.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SweetKarma posted:

Not sure what you mean. Pleas explain.
poo poo pee pee my willy tickles when it tinkles

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
I have a 35 Dollar blackberry knock off and pay like 10bux a month for it. I have a similar situation as the OP but there are times where I definitely kinda wish I had a smartphone for things like cash app and that app that translates text from pictures you take.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
im going back to poor mode / less spied on mode / less addicted mode

i know the quality of non smart phones has intentionally gone to poo poo to discourage people from not paying more to youtube all day, anyone mind recommending some cheap regular phones that

a) make phone calls

b) can text

c) can still take really good pics or decent video?

also curious what the cheapest payment plan w/o a contract is or if i still gotta sign the paper

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Xaris posted:

i don't, i still use this

gently caress yeah Samsung Brightside crew checking in. :hf: Sup buddy how's that physical keyboard? :hellyeah:

I bought an S3 off a buddy for $100. I'll probably never buy a plan for it (because gently caress blowing $40 a month for that), but I still get to do all the cool stuff normies get to do, thanks to "wifi."

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I still have an ipod classic :shrug:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I have a company smartphone that i use exclusively as an mp3 mplayer.
For long distance communications, i use a trusty old nokia with actual physical keys with a 5bucks flatrate and more free sms per month than i will ever use in a lifetime since messaging sucks dick big time.

When the machines take over the world, i will be save and fine.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I still don't see a reason to own a smartphone other than the fact that you're a sad individual that needs to check facebook every 15 minutes.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SweetKarma posted:

I still don't see a reason to own a smartphone other than the fact that you're a sad individual that needs to check facebook every 15 minutes.

Im happy to report that I have rammed into 2 people this morning alone who priorized facebook over the walkway in their "to look at" list.
Its become my favourite hobby over the past few years.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im happy to report that I have rammed into 2 people this morning alone who priorized facebook over the walkway in their "to look at" list.

gently caress fingerprint sensors and force touch, the next big iphone gimmick will direct screenwatchers around incoming traffic. someone did a POC already with a video overlay but thats probably not clever enough for Apple, besides who wants to actively see their surroundings

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
my smartphone developed 2 very specific problems (wouldn't receive calls, couldn't turn off the alarm) so i got a little €20 dumphone that's a fraction of the size to use for calls/texts and the smart one has been relegated to a toilet-posting/quick googling device.it's actually a pretty ideal setup.you're never too far from wifi anymore

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i rock one of these bad boys

i'm sure it does things that aren't calls, messages, alarms and timers but i'll never know

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

losers itt who use phones as phones

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Wall Balls posted:

i rock one of these bad boys

i'm sure it does things that aren't calls, messages, alarms and timers but i'll never know

but does it convert units of measurement?? :smug::smug::smug:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I don't go as far as ramming into people but when I'm feeling passive aggressive I enjoy not altering my course for oncoming phone-users. They notice at the last second and have to stop or dodge in an awkward way and are probably not inconvenienced in the slightest but it I get to make my pathetic little point. Some of us take our walking seriously ffs.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

SweetKarma posted:

I have a laptop, which I can take with me anywhere. I have a gaming desktop that is more powerful than any laptop or commercially available desktop on the market. I have a pay-as-you-go flip phone that usually costs me about $5.00/mo and I actually get better reception then most of my co-workers with expensive smart phones. What's the point of a smart phone other than the fact that you can check your stupid facebook while working or driving down the interstate.

op has extremely cool and good life which consists of driving between rad gaming rig and work pc

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I have an iPhone 6S with unlimited data.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
I own a house and a car but still use a 2009 nokia bar. Battery last for two weeks and I only pay what I consume.

Lol at people who then think you are poor. Some shithead from my family referred to my gsm as a '"dinosaur", and in a condescending tone at that.

If you ask them how they use it it's always "oh, Facebook and games". When I need to contact someone while on the move, I always make it a point to actually call them. Some are so lost in their smartphone that they actually never use their phone as a phone, as direct contact is seen as too direct.

fucken losers

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

EoinCannon posted:

I don't go as far as ramming into people but when I'm feeling passive aggressive I enjoy not altering my course for oncoming phone-users. They notice at the last second and have to stop or dodge in an awkward way and are probably not inconvenienced in the slightest but it I get to make my pathetic little point. Some of us take our walking seriously ffs.

Sorry, thats what i meant. Im not actively sacking them in the streets, but if theyre on my lane staring at their phones, theyll get a bit of the good old shoulder.

Just came from lunch, witnessed 2 iphone bitches walk into each other with a very audible CLICKBONK as their phones and foreheads made forceful contact to each other in unison.
Almost got me hard.

Who am i kidding, it did.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

stdh.txt

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

dumbphones are for dumb people lmao

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

you dont get out much, do you?
Or are you one of.... them?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007