Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think the relationship between Coda and Davey is intended as a microcosm of the larger relationship between creator and audience. Davey harasses Coda to make more games (fans clamoring for new games from their fav studios), complains when they don't meet his idea of what a game should be (hurtful internet comments), and distributes Coda's games without permission (piracy). I think it's very telling that the piracy analogue is what prompts Coda to withdraw from making games, as opposed to Davey's obnoxious personality.

Also, what do you guys think of how the only vocalizations Coda incorporates into his games being female? Is it meant as a larger commentary about female representation in video games? The obvious tumblr answer is of course that Coda is trans and the imprisoned woman represents her suppressed feminine identity, but I think that interpretation is too simplistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
I definitely smell what forums' poster Applewhite is cookin'.

It smells like the gas chamber.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Libelous Slander posted:

I definitely smell what forums' poster Applewhite is cookin'.

It smells like the gas chamber.

You probably shouldn't breathe in too hard.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Yes well I feel that----

FAAAAAAAAAAAART

Phewey that was a stinker, much like this thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Medieval Medic posted:

Yes well I feel that----

FAAAAAAAAAAAART

Phewey that was a stinker, much like this thread.

It's you. You are the major spoiler inside.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i think it is absolutely disgusting that the guy put out codas work without theyre permission, and then charged people for it, wow, i was so disgusted and angry at this

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

i think it is absolutely disgusting that the guy put out codas work without theyre permission, and then charged people for it, wow, i was so disgusted and angry at this

I think Coda sort of overreacted though. I mean, maybe there was a lot more going on in their relationship that we're not privy to, but it seems like if Coda and Davey were really friends, they could have worked something out, and if they weren't, Coda should have broken off contact with Davey much sooner instead of being a passive aggressive weirdo about it.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

besides all this, its prett. obviously a refecerne to TV Tropes, think about it, everything that happen in the game (or should put this, in quotes to signify that its not a game/) is a trop on tv tropes. even the LAMP, or. LAMP SHADE, is on the tv tropes websight. and the laser that makes you go into the sky, ascended glitch anyone? and dont forget that secret wall in the fierst level the COUNTER DRIKE (a anime reference fyi) that takes you to and easter egg, i dont want to spoil it but it might make you think of cartoon ponys, which is another things famous in the tv tropes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

besides all this, its prett. obviously a refecerne to TV Tropes, think about it, everything that happen in the game (or should put this, in quotes to signify that its not a game/) is a trop on tv tropes. even the LAMP, or. LAMP SHADE, is on the tv tropes websight. and the laser that makes you go into the sky, ascended glitch anyone? and dont forget that secret wall in the fierst level the COUNTER DRIKE (a anime reference fyi) that takes you to and easter egg, i dont want to spoil it but it might make you think of cartoon ponys, which is another things famous in the tv tropes.

You might call this game trope overdosed :xd:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I think Coda sort of overreacted though. I mean, maybe there was a lot more going on in their relationship that we're not privy to, but it seems like if Coda and Davey were really friends, they could have worked something out, and if they weren't, Coda should have broken off contact with Davey much sooner instead of being a passive aggressive weirdo about it.

coda can only communicate through the medium of video game. as he, or SHE? is a "coder", hence the name, "coda". this could als be sort for CODY, which is a female name for girls. so anyway, communication through games, this is not as passage aggressive as you might imagine because this is the way they always communicated. perhaps if someone you talk to a lot started giving you mesages in games, that might be passive aggressve, but in this case i dont belief so.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

coda can only communicate through the medium of video game. as he, or SHE? is a "coder", hence the name, "coda". this could als be sort for CODY, which is a female name for girls. so anyway, communication through games, this is not as passage aggressive as you might imagine because this is the way they always communicated. perhaps if someone you talk to a lot started giving you mesages in games, that might be passive aggressve, but in this case i dont belief so.

Davey refers to Coda using male pronouns, so if Coda is male, he has involved at least one other person (the voice actress) in the making of his games. Yet Davey never mentions a woman anywhere in the narration. Is this symbolic of how game narratives tend to ignore women?

I think the most likely answer is that Coda is a man with a woman's voice and is embarrassed about it, which would explain why he's too shy to speak to Davey directly, instead preferring to communicate through the medium of his games.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Davey refers to Coda using male pronouns, so if Coda is male, he has involved at least one other person (the voice actress) in the making of his games. Yet Davey never mentions a woman anywhere in the narration. Is this symbolic of how game narratives tend to ignore women?

I think the most likely answer is that Coda is a man with a woman's voice and is embarrassed about it, which would explain why he's too shy to speak to Davey directly, instead preferring to communicate through the medium of his games.

i thought there was one time when he referred to... them... as a female. i might have to play through it again. then theres that scene with the prison and the female figure behind the bars that you see for maybe a second. seriously though i did enjoy playing this game on my computer and i had an emotional reaction to it

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

it was touching and beauitiful. it might not be canon but i made this art work to commemorate the relationship to coda and davidey...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

i thought there was one time when he referred to... them... as a female. i might have to play through it again. then theres that scene with the prison and the female figure behind the bars that you see for maybe a second. seriously though i did enjoy playing this game on my computer and i had an emotional reaction to it

I'd have to check again but I'm pretty sure he only refers to Coda as male.

My favorite game was the Professor of Perfection.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

it was touching and beauitiful. it might not be canon but i made this art work to commemorate the relationship to coda and davidey...

That reminds me, I bet the three dots represent the Holy Trinity.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This readiness to assume the guilt for the threats to our environment is deceptively reassuring: We like to be guilty since, if we are guilty, it all depends on us. We pull the strings of the catastrophe, so we can also save ourselves simply by changing our lives. What is really hard for us (at least in the West) to accept is that we are reduced to the role of a passive observer who sits and watches what our fate will be. To avoid this impotence, we engage in frantic, obsessive activities. We recycle old paper, we buy organic food, we install long-lasting light bulbs—whatever—just so we can be sure that we are doing something. We make our individual contribution like the soccer fan who supports his team in front of a TV screen at home, shouting and jumping from his seat, in the belief that this will somehow influence the game's outcome.

The true ethical test is not only the readiness to save the victims, but also - even more, perhaps - the ruthless dedication to annihilating those who made them victims.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I'd have to check again but I'm pretty sure he only refers to Coda as male.

My favorite game was the Professor of Perfection.

im going to go through it again tomorrow. im sure i remembered that, but sometimes i remember things that didnt happen. i will report back

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

This readiness to assume the guilt for the threats to our environment is deceptively reassuring: We like to be guilty since, if we are guilty, it all depends on us. We pull the strings of the catastrophe, so we can also save ourselves simply by changing our lives. What is really hard for us (at least in the West) to accept is that we are reduced to the role of a passive observer who sits and watches what our fate will be. To avoid this impotence, we engage in frantic, obsessive activities. We recycle old paper, we buy organic food, we install long-lasting light bulbs—whatever—just so we can be sure that we are doing something. We make our individual contribution like the soccer fan who supports his team in front of a TV screen at home, shouting and jumping from his seat, in the belief that this will somehow influence the game's outcome.

The true ethical test is not only the readiness to save the victims, but also - even more, perhaps - the ruthless dedication to annihilating those who made them victims.

Doesn't that just perpetuate the cycle of victimhood?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Behind the curtains,
Behind it all,
looking at it from the higher throne,
the throne of a higher purpose,
the throne consisting a universal spectrum.,

Architectural designs screeching through the data of the universe,
one eating the other like a game of pacman,
artificialness spreading its disease towards the human creation,
preventing it from extracting its inner release!.,

Universal beings we are,
infinite our spiritual growth indeed is,
infinite life is,
life at the moment is just not is,
its just the pure artificialness.,

The artificialness which is preventing us from becoming complete and destroying the privilege of we obtaining our higher purpose in life,
the higher purpose that we would be the universal beings we had to be and that's truly be connected to god and its creation the universe as one divine formulation.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Doesn't that just perpetuate the cycle of victimhood?

Therein resides the fundamental systemic violence of capitalism, much more uncanny than direct pre-capitalist socio-ideological violence: its violence is no longer attributable to concrete individuals with their 'evil' intentions, but is purely 'objective,' systemic, anonymous--quite literally a conceptual violence, the violence of a Concept whose self-deployment rules and regulates social realty.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Therein resides the fundamental systemic violence of capitalism, much more uncanny than direct pre-capitalist socio-ideological violence: its violence is no longer attributable to concrete individuals with their 'evil' intentions, but is purely 'objective,' systemic, anonymous--quite literally a conceptual violence, the violence of a Concept whose self-deployment rules and regulates social realty.

By that logic unfavorable weather is "systemic violence" too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

By that logic unfavorable weather is "systemic violence" too.

I would argue that what the Southern coast experiences in terms of 'hurricane season' can constitute systemic violence, yes.

Does everything that exists have to be grounded in sufficient reasons? Or are there things that somehow happen out of nowhere?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Since, in our societies, a gendered division of labor still predominates which confers a male twist on basic liberal categories (autonomy, public activity, competition) and relegates women to the private sector of family solidarity, liberalism itself, in its opposition to private and public, harbors male dominance. Furthermore, it is only modern Western capital culture for which autonomy and individual freedom stand higher than collective solidarity, connection, responsibility for dependent others, the duty to respect the customs of one's community. Liberalism itself thus privileges a certain culture: the modern Western one. As to freedom of choice, liberalism is also marked by a strong bias. It is intolerant when individuals of other cultures are not given freedom of choice-as is evident in issues such as clitoridechtomy, child brideship, infanticide, polygamy, and incest. However, it ignores the tremendous pressure which, for example, compels women in out liberal societies to undergo such procedures as plastic surgery, cosmetic implants, and Botox injections to remain competitive in the sex markets.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Since, in our societies, a gendered division of labor still predominates which confers a male twist on basic liberal categories (autonomy, public activity, competition) and relegates women to the private sector of family solidarity, liberalism itself, in its opposition to private and public, harbors male dominance. Furthermore, it is only modern Western capital culture for which autonomy and individual freedom stand higher than collective solidarity, connection, responsibility for dependent others, the duty to respect the customs of one's community. Liberalism itself thus privileges a certain culture: the modern Western one. As to freedom of choice, liberalism is also marked by a strong bias. It is intolerant when individuals of other cultures are not given freedom of choice-as is evident in issues such as clitoridechtomy, child brideship, infanticide, polygamy, and incest. However, it ignores the tremendous pressure which, for example, compels women in out liberal societies to undergo such procedures as plastic surgery, cosmetic implants, and Botox injections to remain competitive in the sex markets.

It's only a paradox until you abandon the pretentions of multiculturalism. I'd like to cite Stanley Fish's essay "Boutique Multiculturalism" as an excellent deconstruction of liberalism's "multicultural" aspirations, ultimately demonstrating them to be folly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As every close observer of the deadlocks arising from the political correctness knows, the separation of legal justice from moral Goodness –which should be relativized and historicized- ends up in an oppressive moralism brimming with resentment. Without any “organic” social substance grounding the standards of what Orwell approvingly called “common decency” (all such standards having been dismissed as subordinating individual freedoms to proto-Fascist social forms), the minimalist program of laws intended simply to prevent individuals from encroaching upon one another (annoying or “harassing” each other) turns into an explosion of legal and moral rules, an endless process (a “spurious infinity” in Hegel’s sense) of legalization and moralization, known as “the fight against all forms of discrimination."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

As every close observer of the deadlocks arising from the political correctness knows, the separation of legal justice from moral Goodness –which should be relativized and historicized- ends up in an oppressive moralism brimming with resentment. Without any “organic” social substance grounding the standards of what Orwell approvingly called “common decency” (all such standards having been dismissed as subordinating individual freedoms to proto-Fascist social forms), the minimalist program of laws intended simply to prevent individuals from encroaching upon one another (annoying or “harassing” each other) turns into an explosion of legal and moral rules, an endless process (a “spurious infinity” in Hegel’s sense) of legalization and moralization, known as “the fight against all forms of discrimination."

I agree.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I thought you made up the game to make thist hread but apparently its very real :staredog:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Please don't be facetious, this is a serious discussion.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Please don't be facetious, this is a serious discussion.

No I really do agree. There's nothing I could meaningfully add to Moridin's post there.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

No I really do agree. There's nothing I could meaningfully add to Moridin's post there.

I'm concerned about the mixed messages behind the text's delivery medium. If the only way to access (and truly engage with) the ideas contained in this exploration of the end of all prejudice and discrimination (paraphrased) behind a paywall scaled only by the technology that disseminates this same prejudice and discrimination (read: the Internet), then how can any of these messages be taken at face value?

I propose this is just another response to the postmodern condition, except that due to its multiple layers of meaning wrapped within a neatly capitalistic packaging and delivery system, it is merely another addition to an already crowded, postmodern field of ideas. The only thing differing this, from the many "classics," is its distinct choice of multimedia presentation (which is, in itself, a reflection of the author's own experiences).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm concerned about the mixed messages behind the text's delivery medium. If the only way to access (and truly engage with) the ideas contained in this exploration of the end of all prejudice and discrimination (paraphrased) behind a paywall scaled only by the technology that disseminates this same prejudice and discrimination (read: the Internet), then how can any of these messages be taken at face value?

I propose this is just another response to the postmodern condition, except that due to its multiple layers of meaning wrapped within a neatly capitalistic packaging and delivery system, it is merely another addition to an already crowded, postmodern field of ideas. The only thing differing this, from the many "classics," is its distinct choice of multimedia presentation (which is, in itself, a reflection of the author's own experiences).

While I think the end of all prejudice and discrimination is an important concept to explore, the text's delivery medium is only dissonant if the text itself is in favor of a totally obliterating all forms of prejudice and discrimination.
Which it isn't. I think some forms of discrimination are necessary and even good.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i think dave was haveing sex with coda

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lonesomedwarf posted:

i think dave was haveing sex with coda

The "cleaning house" game was obviously Coda trying to tell Dave to clean up his poo poo once in a while.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
You spelled "Beginner's" wrong in your Games thread title.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Double doors were obviously a metaphor for dick chopping.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kanthulhu posted:

You spelled "Beginner's" wrong in your Games thread title.

Yeah I realised too late.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What do you guys think was the significance of the parallel construction between the small labyrinth in Coda's first real game (which Davey skips) and the huge labyrinth at the end of the epilogue?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Stanley Parable was one of the blandest "gaming" experiences I've ever had and Beginner's Guide wasn't much better though it was more interesting. The guy's voice is insufferable and you can't "play" without it.

Arcane Kids games are way more interesting, have novel if terribly (and hilariously) executed concepts, and don't have a dude who likes hearing his own voice talking over them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

Stanley Parable was one of the blandest "gaming" experiences I've ever had and Beginner's Guide wasn't much better though it was more interesting. The guy's voice is insufferable and you can't "play" without it.

Arcane Kids games are way more interesting, have novel if terribly (and hilariously) executed concepts, and don't have a dude who likes hearing his own voice talking over them.

Yeah, I don't think you "get" TSP or TBG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I thought this was about the hitchhikers guide and I was like lol uh the meanings are PRETTY OBVIOUS OP but then the names were confusing :(

• Locked thread