Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
more like ford "perfect" lol :horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, I don't think you "get" TSP or TBG.

You can "get" what someone's trying to do and still think it's garbage. I'm just not a big fan of first-person walk around and listen to wordswordswordswords.

I didn't like it in Gone Home.
I didn't like it in Dead Esther.

I don't like it in TBG and TSP. It feels lazy. Maybe if they weren't called games. But then what is a game? Ooooooh let me make a game about that concept.

Wait let's not because that's loving boring.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

You can "get" what someone's trying to do and still think it's garbage. I'm just not a big fan of first-person walk around and listen to wordswordswordswords.

I didn't like it in Gone Home.
I didn't like it in Dead Esther.

I don't like it in TBG and TSP. It feels lazy. Maybe if they weren't called games. But then what is a game? Ooooooh let me make a game about that concept.

Wait let's not because that's loving boring.

I'm sorry you thought the game was boring. I dunno why you keep buying narrative-based games?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I'm sorry you thought the game was boring. I dunno why you keep buying narrative-based games?

Well. You see, it is a bit difficult to hold an opinion (or at least an opinion I value) on a game if I don't personally play it or experience it.

That said, I've got friends that love that poo poo, so I ask them to let me play it because Davey Talksalot isn't getting my internet bux . I know it sounds really weird to have an opinion substantiated by actual experience. But this isn't /v/ we're posting on.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

Well. You see, it is a bit difficult to hold an opinion (or at least an opinion I value) on a game if I don't personally play it or experience it.

That said, I've got friends that love that poo poo, so I ask them to let me play it because Davey Talksalot isn't getting my internet bux . I know it sounds really weird to have an opinion substantiated by actual experience. But this isn't /v/ we're posting on.

I don't have to try every shrimp dish to know I probably won't like it, and instead I spend my money on food that I actually want to eat. I don't need to hold an opinion on every method of preparing shrimp because I could give a gently caress.

It doesn't sound weird to value opinions based on actual experience, but yeah, it does sound a little weird you feel compelled to have any opinion at all on every iteration of a genre you obviously don't enjoy.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I don't have to try every shrimp dish to know I probably won't like it, and instead I spend my money on food that I actually want to eat. I don't need to hold an opinion on every method of preparing shrimp because I could give a gently caress.

It doesn't sound weird to value opinions based on actual experience, but yeah, it does sound a little weird you feel compelled to have any opinion at all on every iteration of a genre you obviously don't enjoy.

Once again, I didn't spend a dime on it because I have friends. What's wrong with a free sample?

Aside from that, if I'm discussing a game with my friends it feels a bit disingenuous to say I don't like it if I don't try it. Once again it comes down to holding an opinion to myself unless I've experienced the product and I like to discuss games with my friends. So to hold myself to my own standards, I play them even if I don't like them if I'm going to discuss my opinion on them.

But hey I'm genuinely sorry. I didn't mean to poo poo up your thread. By all means, enjoy the things you enjoy and talk about them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

Once again, I didn't spend a dime on it because I have friends. What's wrong with a free sample?

Aside from that, if I'm discussing a game with my friends it feels a bit disingenuous to say I don't like it if I don't try it. Once again it comes down to holding an opinion to myself unless I've experienced the product and I like to discuss games with my friends. So to hold myself to my own standards, I play them even if I don't like them if I'm going to discuss my opinion on them.

But hey I'm genuinely sorry. I didn't mean to poo poo up your thread. By all means, enjoy the things you enjoy and talk about them.

I don't have friends so I have to budget my games accordingly. I guess we just have different approaches to the same problem. Sometimes it's important to stop and try to see things from the perspective of the other person, so you can better understand why he does what he does.

Something you would know if you payed any attention to The Beginner's Guide!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Now, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the prisons symbolize the feeling of being trapped. Not literally trapped, but metaphorically, like Coda and Davey's relationship is "imprisoning" Coda.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Now, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the prisons symbolize the feeling of being trapped. Not literally trapped, but metaphorically, like Coda and Davey's relationship is "imprisoning" Coda.

I think this is a literal form of discrimination, and after thinking about it, I also agree this is a tacit acceptance (even movement towards) a way of living that is separate, while also equal.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
And furthermo....

FAAAAAAAAAART

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The lampposts symbolize Narnia. Like, Coda is creating these new worlds with his games, and they transport Davey into another world where time passes differently.

The door puzzle is a metaphor for the passage of time. You can't move forward without first looking into the future, but you'll never reach the future unless you look back into the past and depress a lever.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Libelous Slander posted:

I definitely smell what forums' poster Applewhite is cookin'.

It smells like the gas chamber.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

I thought you were cool applewhite :saddowns:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gibb3h posted:

I thought you were cool applewhite :saddowns:

Can't win 'em all I guess.

I am a little disappointed that no one wanted to engage with this one. It seemed like a great opportunity to come up with outlandish and overly pretentious ad-hoc explanations for the game's imagery.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
What are you even talking about dogheadman goddamn

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Can't win 'em all I guess.

I am a little disappointed that no one wanted to engage with this one. It seemed like a great opportunity to come up with outlandish and overly pretentious ad-hoc explanations for the game's imagery.

To be honest it took me a couple of pages to realise you were actually talking about a real game :shrug:

It's OK dude, you're good people really :hfive:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

What are you even talking about dogheadman goddamn

The Beginner's Guide is a game by the maker of The Stanley Parable. It is presented as the collected works of a game programmer identified as "Coda" which game developer Davey Wreden claims to have been friends with between 2008 and 2011. Davey provides a running "director's commentary" style voice over throughout the game (which is split into several mini games allegedly designed by Coda).
The game explores the themes of depression, loneliness, artistic struggle, alienation, etc... through Davey's narration as he offers the player his interpretation of the meaning behind Coda's games.
In the end we find out Davey is an rear end in a top hat who was projecting on Coda all along.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

gibb3h posted:

To be honest it took me a couple of pages to realise you were actually talking about a real game :shrug:

I was hoping it was a fake :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Beale posted:

I was hoping it was a fake :smith:

I dunno if I could come up with a fake game with as much entertaining potential for analysis as the real game Davey made.

• Locked thread