Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
D&D Gunchat here please, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that the average American gun owner owns 4 guns, lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:munch:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

D&D Gunchat here please, thanks.

Is this just gonna get closed like the last one after TFR spams personal photos for the NSA to track?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
guns

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nintendo Kid posted:

Reminder that the average American gun owner owns 4 guns, lmao

That's more than most American have hands!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
300 million privately owned guns.

Only 70 million, 71 million tops people own any guns.

The average gun owner is therfore a hoarder with 4 or more guns.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

300 million privately owned guns.

Only 70 million, 71 million tops people own any guns.

The average gun owner is therfore a hoarder with 4 or more guns.

One for each limb, including their penis.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
What is the best suppressor for a Remington 870?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheBuilder posted:

Your mom!

....oh...:smith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBuilder posted:

Melting it down

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have a 100 round clip for my automatic assault rifle

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any good psychological studies examining why some people feel the compulsion to hoard guns?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sharkie posted:

Are there any good psychological studies examining why some people feel the compulsion to hoard guns?

My penis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

:munch:

Is this just gonna get closed like the last one after TFR spams personal photos for the NSA to track?

This is more of a sandboxy gunchat thread, so there's no set ending.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Not in the US probably, what with the research ban.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sharkie posted:

4 guns isn't a hoard. A deer rifle, varmint rifle and a duck shotgun is three right there. If you do turkey hunting then thats probably another shotgun, making 4.

Badger of Basra posted:

Not in the US probably, what with the research ban.

Better call up all the Federal agencies and let them know about the super-secret ban on any and all gun-related research then.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Yes but of that many people how many are hunters, or do anything other than hoard them?

edit: 2011 census says 13.7 mil hunters...

Mavric fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 21, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

LeJackal posted:

Better call up all the Federal agencies and let them know about the super-secret ban on any and all gun-related research then.

glad you agree that onerous restrictions and taxes and guns and ammo technically wouldn't be a ban

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-two-years-ago/

quote:

The CDC had not touched firearm research since 1996 — when the NRA accused the agency of promoting gun control and Congress threatened to strip the agency’s funding. The CDC’s self-imposed ban dried up a powerful funding source and had a chilling effect felt far beyond the agency: Almost no one wanted to pay for gun violence studies, researchers say. Young academics were warned that joining the field was a good way to kill their careers. And the odd gun study that got published went through linguistic gymnastics to hide any connection to firearms.

The long stalemate continued until shortly after the December 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., when Obama announced several gun-control proposals, including reversing the CDC research ban. His higher-profile proposals – tightening firearm background checks, reinstating the assault weapons ban – were viewed as impossible to pass into law. Congress wouldn’t bite. But ending the CDC research ban? Done by executive order, it appeared to have the best shot, along with broad support from a scientific community upset that gun violence as a public health problem was being ignored.

“A lot of people thought it would make a big difference,” recalled Jeffrey Swanson, a Duke University psychiatry professor who studies gun violence and mental health.

But today the CDC still avoids gun-violence research, demonstrating what many see as the depth of its fear about returning to one of the country’s most divisive debates. The agency recently was asked by The Washington Post why it was still sitting on the sidelines of firearms studies. It declined to make an official available for an interview but responded with a statement noting it had commissioned an agenda of possible research goals but still lacked the dedicated funding to pursue it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sounds less like a ban on all gun-related research and more like a budget restriction for a single agency which was lifted years ago.

spoon0042 posted:

glad you agree that onerous restrictions and taxes and guns and ammo technically wouldn't be a ban

Naw, but good attempt at shoving things into my mouth. Save it for the dungeon, okay?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

4 guns isn't a hoard. A deer rifle, varmint rifle and a duck shotgun is three right there. If you do turkey hunting then thats probably another shotgun, making 4.

That's a hoard dipshit.

Mavric posted:

Yes but of that many people how many are hunters, or do anything other than hoard them?

Australia provides some insight: about 11% of their population owns a gun (that's only half of America's) and the three major reasons to be allowed to own a gun there are that you're a farmer, that you're a hunting enthusiast, and much smaller that you're someone who's either already a professional target shooter or training to be one.

So probably like a a third of American gun owners actually have them for a real reason. "I need to kiss my gun every commute through suburbia" doesn't count as a real reason. To be fair a significant proportion of American gun owners also only have them at all because it's grandpa's gun and he passed it down - funnily enough they tend to only have one or two heirloom guns, and almost never use them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

Sounds less like a ban on all gun-related research and more like a budget restriction for a single agency which was lifted years ago.

Yeah, just skip the part where they tried to defund the entire CDC over it.

quote:

But does the CDC research blame the public health issue of gun violence on the weapons themselves?

“The original concern from the National Rifle Association back in 1996, which Dr. Rivara mentioned, made that very implication,” says Zwillich. “The NRA complained to Congress that the CDC was using the results of its research to essentially advocate for gun control. They called it propaganda. And back at that time, Congress slashed the CDC’s funding by the exact amount that was used for gun-related public health research.”

Rivara and his team discovered that having a gun in the home is associated with a threefold increase in the risk of a homicide — they released this information in a series of peer-reviewed articles that appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine. The CDC both funded Rivara’s original research and stood by the findings.

But after Congress seemingly retaliated against the CDC for publishing Rivara’s findings, Zwillich says researchers with the agency have shied away from conducting gun research.

“There is other research that goes on at the CDC that does have to do with guns,” says Zwillich. “There is a National Violent Death Reporting System, which does record the causes of all violent deaths, including in domestic abuse, youth violence, and child abuse. If a gun is the cause, that’s recorded — it’s not like they ignore it entirely. But gun deaths and gun injuries as a public health issue, as Rivara said, are still basically anathema to CDC researchers and anyone who gets CDC funding, which is potentially millions of dollars.”

Many federally funded researchers are afraid how the interpretation of their data might be used — and used against them.

“Congressional prohibition, which was extended in this very vote that we’re talking about with that appropriations bill, prevents the CDC from advocating for any form of gun control,” says Zwillich. “Researchers are concerned that if they report the results of their data publicly and say, for instance, as Fred Rivara found in the ‘90s, that having a gun in the home makes you more likely to be injured than if you don’t have a gun in a home, then they’ll be accused by Congress of breaking the rules and advocating for gun control.”

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 21, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LeJackal posted:

:words:

lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I don't understand, when I point my gun at someone and say "Could I please have all your money? Feel free to say no! No pressure!" and they give it to me out of their own free will, what's the problem? It's not stealing, just asking.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Why is this thread back open? Did we have another shooting?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's a hoard dipshit.

4 items is a hoard? poo poo, I've got a hoard of forks and spoons then right there in my kitchen. HOLY poo poo, and :siren: a knife hoard in there too! :siren:

You're watering down a word to the point of meaninglessness in some vain attempt to smear someone.

Its tiresome.

CommieGIR posted:

Can you quote it for me? I missed that part.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

I don't understand, when I point my gun at someone and say "Could I please have all your money? Feel free to say no! No pressure!" and they give it to me out of their own free will, what's the problem? It's not stealing, just asking.

Oh, it gets better. Remember the last Gunchat thread, where they tried to promote an NRA backed :airquote: Gun Control Bill :airquote: that turned out to actually loosen the restriction on the ability of a mentally ill person to purchase a firearm after an involuntary committal?

That was a good one.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

Do you think the CDC wouldn't have to fight to keep from being defunded again if they had the temerity to question guns' status as a holy totem?

LeJackal posted:

Its tiresome.

I think you'll find that what's tiresome is the endless and senseless litany of dead children and suicides.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

4 items is a hoard?

Yes, 4 guns is a hoard you lead-huffin' loony. In most countries with sizable gun ownership, the average gun owner only owns 1 or 2. God only knows how much ammunition you have holed up because you swear you need 10000 rounds a week or some bullshit.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, 4 guns is a hoard you lead-huffin' loony. In most countries with sizable gun ownership, the average gun owner only owns 1 or 2. God only knows how much ammunition you have holed up because you swear you need 10000 rounds a week or some bullshit.

zombies ain't gonna shoot themselves

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

4 items is a hoard? poo poo, I've got a hoard of forks and spoons then right there in my kitchen. HOLY poo poo, and :siren: a knife hoard in there too! :siren:

How else are forks and spoons like guns? I love this analogy!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
*takes a long hard drag of weed*

*exhales slowly*

...shoot the NRA

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdz1_I5EjxA&t=32s

This dad will be ready.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NNick posted:

How else are forks and spoons like guns? I love this analogy!

Check this out; the word hoard can be used to refer to any item. If 4 guns can be described as a horde, then 4 of anything could be described as a hoard.

Check your garage, you've got a hoard of tires in there I bet.

Sharkie posted:

Do you think the CDC wouldn't have to fight to keep from being defunded again if they had the temerity to question guns' status as a holy totem?

I don't see where the entire CDC was almost defunded, can you show me please?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

He's ready to shoot up a political rally. totes

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Hey folks, just wanna say that Australian and UK style gun control will never happen in America d/w/i :cool:

Let's talk about the Defense Distributed Ghost Gunner CNC machine that manufactures an AR15 receiver out of an untraceable block of aircraft aluminum. Or how about people 3D printing 30-round magazines? That's pretty swag. Welcome to the 21st century bitches.

BTW background checks are poo poo and more power to anyone who dodges them. It's the government's job to prove you guilty when they have specific evidence you're plotting something--you know, a crime with an actual victim--not for you to have to prove your name isn't on a list because you bought something that scared Feinstein's feelings. :(

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

He's ready to shoot up a political rally. totes

But look how happy they are. Goddamn weirdos.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Check this out; the word hoard can be used to refer to any item. If 4 guns can be described as a horde, then 4 of anything could be described as a hoard.

So scale, type, and situation have no bearing on the meaning of horde when it refers to an item?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If only there was a national fertilizer registry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hey folks, just wanna say that Australian and UK style gun control will never happen in America d/w/i :cool:

Let's talk about the Defense Distributed Ghost Gunner CNC machine that manufactures an AR15 receiver out of an untraceable block of aircraft aluminum. Or how about people 3D printing 30-round magazines? That's pretty swag. Welcome to the 21st century bitches.

BTW background checks are poo poo and more power to anyone who dodges them. It's the government's job to prove you guilty when they have specific evidence you're plotting something--you know, a crime with an actual victim--not for you to have to prove your name isn't on a list because you bought something that scared Feinstein's feelings. :(

Yes it will.

Nerd printed guns are just further proof there's no need it needs to be legal to sell already manufactured guns. Keep talking up how great your 3 day long nerd gun process is, it just justifies closing all gun shops even more.

Sorry that you're a criminal I guess?

• Locked thread