Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Today is Wednesday, October 21st 2015. Some 80 people have perished or will perish in the United States of America beause of guns today.

Good point. Before the invention of guns, there was no crime or murder. :argh:

There have been a couple shootings on street corners, a bunch of suicides with guns, a few gun-related accidents resulting in death today, and some cops shooting people.

Murders on street corners are never motivated by anything other than the presence of guns.
Suicides are impossible without guns.

Cops are racist murdering shitheels that get away with extrajudicial executions all the time, though they murder folks without guns just dandy. (This is actually true and I'll give this point to you. FTP.)

A good fraction got killed by people they knew and who had no criminal record.

Criminals can only kill non-criminals with guns, and they only do so because of guns. Such murders never occurred before guns.

Owning a gun was actually the number 1 cause of death for these people

Yes, owning guns is a cause of death, I see it on the mortality stats all the time.

Wow, such strong points. What amazing rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Having 4 guns is a hoard, deal with it.

I know it's generally accepted that the increasing violence radiation causes more speed and aggression with every gun found on the map, but if you review the strategy guide it's very much more distinct: it's not until the tenth pickup when the gun owner gains rapid fire and ten seconds of invulnerability. You can tell when the enemy icon starts to flash.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Did we ever get a rational argument against sensible restrictions on the press, religion, and all other human rights beyond MY RIGHTS?

I guess we never did......

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

loving lol

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They only like hoarding guns for the eventual possibility of a race war zombie apocalypse.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When poo poo hits the fan I'm gonna be king of gun mountain and then you'll all see how awesome and virile I am.

YOULL ALL SEE!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If there is a race war I'm siding with the Mexicans as my papist brothers.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

LeJackal posted:

like did you miss the last fifty times it was pointed out that guns are far and away the easiest way to kill yourself?

also, kill yourself.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LeJackal posted:

Murders on street corners are never motivated by anything other than the presence of guns.

Cops are racist murdering shitheels that get away with extrajudicial executions all the time, though they murder folks without guns just dandy. (This is actually true and I'll give this point to you. FTP.)

Criminals can only kill non-criminals with guns, and they only do so because of guns. Such murders never occurred before guns.

Yes, owning guns is a cause of death, I see it on the mortality stats all the time.

You seem to have missed the other part, the one in quotes.

When a gun fires the bullet that ends a life, the gun is partly responsible for the death. Not guilty, because it is an inanimate object, but responsible. It is involved. It is the cause of the death. The death occurred because of the gun.
Guns made all these deaths possible. The ubiquity of guns plays an obvious role in these deaths. So many more murders and suicides occur in areas where guns are plentiful that it's not a statistical fluke, it's a cold hard fact. More people die because of guns, because people had access to guns who shouldn't have.
And yes, owning guns is a cause of death - well, at least, it has a measurable impact on death rates. Also you ought to reread what I say when I say: "A good fraction got killed by people they knew and who had no criminal record."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Humans often have an impulse to kill themselves or others, and guns make it a lot easier and more likely to succeed. It's obvious you aren't letting yourself admit this basic point and it makes you look unhinged.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nevvy Z posted:

Did we ever get a rational argument against sensible restrictions beyond MY RIGHTS?

There is no better argument for anything in this lovely world, so no. No point in bothering.

Friendly reminder: it's on you to justify why something should be outlawed, not vis-a-vie. And you need a better reason than "you might do something bad" as that is not the same thing as "definitely did something bad" ergo QED. Checkmate.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

DeusExMachinima posted:

There is no better argument for anything in this lovely world, so no. No point in bothering.

lol

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

DeusExMachinima posted:

But MY RIGHTS isn't a point against intelligent regulation of guns. It's, maybe, a point against a total ban of guns, if and only if you consider gun ownership to be a right. Which I don't, and most civilized countries don't, but the US, sadly, does not. Anyway, the Second Amendment does not preclude the existence of gun regulation, enven moreso since rights always exist within a certain framework.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's obvious you all fear guns out of ignorance. Not like me, I own guns and they have been demystified unto me as Prometheus brought fire to man.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Its perfectly reasonable for a chef to own four knives.

Its perfectly reasonable for a lumberjack to own four chainsaws.

Its perfectly reasonable for a painter to own four brushes.

Its perfectly reasonable for [person] to own four [items].

its perfectly reasonable for [person] to own four [bombs]

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

There was no constitutional right for slaves not to be enslaved for a long time and slave owners were perfectly happy with that, so the logic checks out, I guess?

Up until they were given their rights not to be enslaved nobody at all bothered to help them or even work towards it since it was a futile, pointless gesture. It was only until the amendment passed, perhaps sprung from the quill of god himself, that it became a cause worth fighting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nevvy Z posted:

Did we ever get a rational argument against sensible restrictions beyond MY RIGHTS?

Gun hoarders are so insane that they think they have anything more to gain, and therefore should gain more.

Meanwhile the amount of people willing to even own a single gun continues to slowly lessen.

Thanks for posting further evidence that there's no need for it to be legal to purchase new guns. Just make them yourself if you really need it!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

But MY RIGHTS isn't a point against intelligent regulation of guns. It's, maybe, a point against a total ban of guns, if and only if you consider gun ownership to be a right. Which I don't, and most civilized countries don't, but the US, sadly, does not. Anyway, the Second Amendment does not preclude the existence of gun regulation, enven moreso since rights always exist within a certain framework.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Friendly reminder: it's on you to justify why something should be outlawed, not vis-a-vie. And you need a better reason than "you might do something bad" as that is not the same thing as "definitely did something bad" ergo QED. Checkmate.

If other countries disagree with the above whether the subject is guns, hate speech, whatever, they can feel free to get poo poo on by the greatest country on Earth. :911:

NNick posted:

It is in fact entirely legal on the federal level as well as all the cool states and always has been.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

You seem to have missed the other part, the one in quotes.

Guns made all these deaths possible.

So without a gun, a criminal would be unable to murder? Without a gun, a suicide could not kill themselves?

Pictured below: murders made impossible due to absence of gun.

NNick posted:

Watch out, there's a whole stand FULL OF EXPLOSIVES!

Lemming posted:

Humans often have an impulse to kill themselves or others

But those urges to commit murder only occur in the presence of guns, I though. :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

There was no constitutional right for slaves not to be enslaved for a long time and slave owners were perfectly happy with that, so the logic checks out, I guess?

Up until they were given their rights not to be enslaved nobody at all bothered to help them or even work towards it since it was a futile, pointless gesture. It was only until the amendment passed, perhaps sprung from the quill of god himself, that it became a cause worth fighting.

What?

I mean, what? This isn't true at all. Abolition was a movement even when the Constitution was signed, and it was growing fast. Hell, even when the Constitution was created, the founding fathers knew that Slavery was going to be a very touchy subject pretty soon, because both France and Britain were already on their way to abolishing slavery.

Hell, 1772 was when the British Abolition movement really gained steam.

LeJackal posted:

So without a gun, a criminal would be unable to murder? Without a gun, a suicide could not kill themselves?

Pictured below: murders made impossible due to absence of gun.

But those urges to commit murder only occur in the presence of guns, I though. :ohdear:

:allears: Nobody is saying that all murder will stop if guns are regulated, but it sure would put a dent in it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CommieGIR posted:

What?

I mean, what? This isn't true at all. Abolition was a movement even when the Constitution was signed, and it was growing fast. Hell, even when the Constitution was created, the founding fathers knew that Slavery was going to be a very touchy subject pretty soon, because both France and Britain were already on their way to abolishing slavery.

Too bad they weren't like the cool countries like the US.

RIGHTS!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

If other countries disagree with the above whether the subject is guns, hate speech, whatever, they can feel free to get poo poo on by the greatest country on Earth. :911:

It is in fact entirely legal on the federal level as well as all the cool states and always has been.

Well, first of all, we're not talking about "outlawing" guns, please reread my post.
Second, the reasons why guns should be controlled have already been repeated over and over in this thread, please refer to my post where I link guns to surnumerary deaths. It's not simply "you might do something bad", it's "statistically, when given unrestricted access to this tool, people have a tendency to do something bad way more often". Also, there's a reason why "we never thought he could do anything like this" is a staple of the commentary of gun-related tragedies.
Third, lmbo at "the greatest country on Earth". You're not making GBS threads on anyone when your own population is the one suffering from internal policy. Wait, no, maybe you're also making GBS threads on Mexico. But it's mostly on yourselves.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

NNick posted:

So close, and yet so far. I mean, unlike guns, bomb collections really do have additive effect: having more explosive devices, especially in one place, increases both the likelihood of a massively destructive event and its severity. The other examples, like guns, do no such thing, even if you're trying to draw some sloppy :siren:weapons of war:siren: comparison.

The idea that someone collecting a bunch of guns is significantly more of a problem than someone having one gun isn't the dumbest pearl clutching on the anti-gun side, but that just says a lot about its competition since it's still pretty drat dumb. To be fair, like most reactionary soundbites I imagine a good number of those who say it know that, they just hope it will resonate with low-information supporters who aren't invested enough to think it through.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

I am glad we have established you selectively use language to try to make your point since you can't logically defend your positions :)

Edit:

Killer robot posted:

So close, and yet so far. I mean, unlike guns, bomb collections really do have additive effect: having more explosive devices, especially in one place, increases both the likelihood of a massively destructive event and its severity. The other examples, like guns, do no such thing, even if you're trying to draw some sloppy :siren:weapons of war:siren: comparison.

The idea that someone collecting a bunch of guns is significantly more of a problem than someone having one gun isn't the dumbest pearl clutching on the anti-gun side, but that just says a lot about its competition since it's still pretty drat dumb. To be fair, like most reactionary soundbites I imagine a good number of those who say it know that, they just hope it will resonate with low-information supporters who aren't invested enough to think it through.

I guess mass shootings don't count as a "massively destructive event"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Oh wow you're sure arguing in good faith! Wow your good and coo!l

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

LeJackal posted:

No, but their ability to do it would be severely hampered!
Let me post the table again because maybe your eyes glazed over it for some reason. But, after all, repetition is at the basis of teaching so I don't mind posting it again.

Are you able to read it, or do you need an explanation on what the words mean?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Oh wow you're sure arguing in good faith! Wow your good and coo!l

If you're in this thread and I'm the one shocking you with 'bad faith' it says very little about your ability to read.

These threads are pretty much condensed bad-faith seams rich in personal insults, flawed logic, and barely concealed racism.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Killer robot posted:

But gun ownership has been repeatedly shown as unsafe for the owner, and as being at the root of an elevated death rate amongst gun owners.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeoMarr posted:

If only there was a national fertilizer registry

Actually, the government is monitoring and tracking the sale and transportation of ammonia nitrate now... you loving moron.

http://www.dhs.gov/ammonium-nitrate-security-program-notice-proposed-rulemaking

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

LeJackal posted:

If you're in this thread and I'm the one shocking you with 'bad faith' it says very little about your ability to read.

These threads are pretty much condensed bad-faith seams rich in personal insults, flawed logic, and barely concealed racism.

Concealed racism... you mean, coming from the people who support gun availability and therefore more black people death?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A Winner is Jew posted:

Actually, the government is monitoring and tracking the sale and transportation of ammonia nitrate now... you loving moron.

http://www.dhs.gov/ammonium-nitrate-security-program-notice-proposed-rulemaking

And how many bombings has it sopped? NONE!!!??? Probably. lol stupid liberal fertilizer grabber

Correlation does not equal causation!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that DREADED GUN HELLHOLE Australia's gun ownership rate is a little over 50% of America's.

Killer robot posted:

I didn't say it's more of a problem. I just said it's a sign of hoarding tendencies. Reminder that the average guns per gun owner in America is 4.1 - considering how many people out there only have one gun, there's some serious hoarding to bring up the average that high. 70 to 71 million Americans owning 290-300 million or more guns.

And hoarding tendencies well, aren't the TFR crew all about "supporting mental health"?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Well, first of all, we're not talking about "outlawing" guns, please reread my post.

So you don't want to prohibit any types of firearms or accessories?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LeJackal posted:

What makes you think I'm shocked? I could already tell you weren't arguing in good faith, you just made it extra obvious there. "Everybody else is shitposting so I'm shitposting" is also a pretty loving idiotic justification when the people arguing in bad faith are almost entirely gun nuts like yourself.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nintendo Kid posted:

Reminder that DREADED GUN HELLHOLE Australia's gun ownership rate is a little over 50% of America's.

I didn't say it's more of a problem. I just said it's a sign of hoarding tendencies. Reminder that the average guns per gun owner in America is 4.1 - considering how many people out there only have one gun, there's some serious hoarding to bring up the average that high. 70 to 71 million Americans owning 290-300 million or more guns.

And hoarding tendencies well, aren't the TFR crew all about "supporting mental health"?

And what better way than to give the mentally ill their own GUNS.

It's like you're stupid or something.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

And how many bombings has it sopped? NONE!!!??? Probably. lol stupid liberal fertilizer grabber

Correlation does not equal causation!

At the end of the day bombs don't kill people, people kill people! Guess we shouldn't bother regulating them.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's a catch .22 - people with mental issues shouldn't be allowed to own guns, people who want to own guns have mental issues.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

So you don't want to prohibit any types of firearms or accessories?

Prohibiting some wouldn't be "outlawing guns". But at any rate I fully support the strict regulation of handguns, among others, yeah.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

But gun ownership has been repeatedly shown as unsafe for the owner, and as being at the root of an elevated death rate amongst gun owners.

So far as I've seen no one's demonstrated or even concretely asserted a link between (non-zero) number of guns owned and danger to the owner or others. Just many have implied it every chance they've gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

It's a catch .22 - people with mental issues shouldn't be allowed [political freedom], people who want to vote for the other party have mental issues.

It's a catch .22 - people with mental issues shouldn't be allowed [religious freedom], people who want to worship some other god have mental issues.

It's a catch .22 - people with mental issues shouldn't be allowed [expressive freedom], people who want to differ in their beliefs have mental issues.

Concealed racism... you mean, coming from the people who support gun availability and therefore more black people death?

I see, black people can't be trusted with firearms. I'm glad that in regressing to racist policy we've also regressed to the paternalistic racism.

Instead of seeing the broken and racist systems of corporate welfare, for-profit prisons, racial-driven Drug War and economic genocide being perpetuated against minorities as the real issue.

Keep repeating the lie, eventually people will think its true.

Lemming posted:

What makes you think I'm shocked? I could already tell you weren't arguing in good faith, you just made it extra obvious there. "Everybody else is shitposting so I'm shitposting" is also a pretty loving idiotic justification when the people arguing in bad faith are almost entirely gun nuts like yourself.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

• Locked thread